[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does mechanized warfare have a future? In either 'high intensity'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 1420996991134.png (182 KB, 410x640) Image search: [Google]
1420996991134.png
182 KB, 410x640
Does mechanized warfare have a future? In either 'high intensity' or 'low intensity' conflicts
>>
>>28351827
Yes.
>>
>>28351827
>RAC Centre
Royal Armor Corps?
>>
unless you are in some place like Afghanistan. You are always going to be fighting in mechanized formations.

This isn't ww2 anymore. Where airborne and leg infantry just walk across Europe.
>>
>>28351827
Are you seriously asking if using machines for better defense and firepower is viable as said machines improve? Yes. /thread
>>
>>28351827

Anything that assists the soldier in advancing into territory has a future.
>>
Yes. If anything, its soft infantry that has no future. Once BigDogs get on their feet in the "packmule" role, it wont be long before they're armed with an M240/M2 and providing fire support for squads. From there, its just a gradual transition to BigDogs being the majority in a squad; and then you have the eventual endgame of entire squads being machines slaved to a couple of neckbeards sitting in the back of a nearby IFV. Thats my belief, anyway.
>>
>>28352095
It's objectively incorrect, but thanks for sharing.
>>
>>28351874
Ww2 was the birth of mech warfare, the Germans pioneered it and with it they made years of gains. Once everyone else saw the merit they fight to catch up.
>>
>>28352095
How, though? Warfare at this level will cost astronomical amounts of money for even the USA. I couldn't see unmanned infantry advancing beyond replacements for squad support weapons such as M240's and M2's, and maybe an anti-tank launcher to boot. But the infantryman is flexible and is inherently better in urban, jungle, forested, and mountainous terrain.

Unmanned tanks and aircraft, however, are where the real money should go.
>>
>>28352215
they pioneered mech infantry, yes. the rest of their formations were woefully behind the times. it speaks more of their enemies incompetence that they were able to make such headway in taking over the world
>>
>>28353082
This guy gets it. Pet tanks for every squad. Think basic dog like AI mixed with operator fps. Kinda like ghost in the shell "think tanks".
>>
>>28351856
/thread
>>
File: 1323140413001.jpg (4 KB, 126x121) Image search: [Google]
1323140413001.jpg
4 KB, 126x121
>>28352095
>soft infantry that has no future.
this is the most retarded thing I have read all day.
>>
>>28352215
Well technically, the American Civil War saw the birth of mechanized warfare.
>>
>>28354343
You best elaborate, mien neger.
>>
>>28355461
Maybe he means trains? Fuck.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.