[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/uestion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13
File: download (25).jpg (4 KB, 210x144) Image search: [Google]
download (25).jpg
4 KB, 210x144
Hey /k/, I want your opinion on something. Do you carry with a round in the chamber on safe or on fire with no round in the chamber? Which can be drawn and accurately fired faster? Which is safer?
>>
>>28333850
This can also be a questions that don't deserve their own thread thread I suppose.
>>
>>28333850
The only safe way is to not carry at all.
>>
File: holy fuck i am retarded.jpg (150 KB, 640x420) Image search: [Google]
holy fuck i am retarded.jpg
150 KB, 640x420
>>28333850

depends on the gun

i carry any gun with a safe action trigger with out a round in the hole so i have to rack the slide

with a gun with a slide or frame mounted safety i carry with a round in the tube with the safety on
>>
File: 1438485228247.jpg (145 KB, 736x460) Image search: [Google]
1438485228247.jpg
145 KB, 736x460
>>28333850
manual safeties are a meme unless it's a sao gun like a 1911 where you will need a safety.

striker fired guns like glocks, m&p's and xd's are perfectly safe for carrying with a round in the chamber.

Guns with da/sa and no manual safeties like sigs have a very heavy and deliberate trigger pull for the first shot and then a light single action trigger pull for the rest of the shots until you want to decock it and put it away.

The best safety is your brain and keeping your finger the fuck off the trigger unless you're ready to shoot
>>
>>28333887

10/10 made me reply
>>
File: tactical-operator.jpg (82 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tactical-operator.jpg
82 KB, 1280x720
The only way to safely carry is in condition tactical butterscotch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU
>>
>>28333850
One in the chamber is always going to be faster.
Don't have a CC at the moment because NY and planning to move to a free state soon, but in the navy when carrying an M9 it always had one in the chamber, practiced enough that clicking the safety off was all part of drawing it from the holster and didn't add any time
>>
>>28333850
Round in the chamber, no safety. It's the fastest, obviously.

Safer? Depends. If you're a clumsy buffoon and are afraid you'll shoot yourself, no, it's not "safer".

If it means being able to react quicker to a threat with the least amount of obstacles in your way? Yes, it's safer.
>>
>>28333941
I guess you're right, I just worry about the trigger getting caught on something and causing an ND that either blows my Dick off or gives gun control people ammo for arguments.
>>
>>28333850
>no round in the chamber
for what conceivable purpose
>>
>>28333972
1911 grip safety yo
>>
Eyo /k/ what guns should I be looking at for my first?
>>
>>28334021
Hi-point
>>
>>28333972
That happens with shitty holsters or if your shirt gets caught in it. If you're reholstering, you're probably in a safer situation and you can spare the half second to look at the gun when reholstering.
>>
File: 1425266459463.jpg (51 KB, 350x554) Image search: [Google]
1425266459463.jpg
51 KB, 350x554
>>28333850

I carry a Beretta with one in the pipe, safety on.

No matter what firearm you carry, as long as you practice the draw, you'll be fine. It's really easy to draw/disengage the safety in one fluid motion.
>>
>>28334039
Anything bigger?
>>
File: Straw Poll.png (506 KB, 1038x388) Image search: [Google]
Straw Poll.png
506 KB, 1038x388
>>28334039
That's not a bad suggestion, It's good for practice, hard to fuck up. If you end up hating guns,it's easy to resell, and if it turns out you like guns it's also easy to resell.
>>
>>28334021
>I'm going to ask an extremely ambiguous question and hope to get any actual useful information

<3 this meme
>>
>>28334089
I'm buying a gun for protection, not a hobby. I don't care if end up liking guns or not.
>>
>>28334114
then don't buy a gun. The worst thing you can do is buy something you don't care to train or practice with.
>>
>>28334129
I'll train and practice regardless if I like it.
>>
>>28333850
Anyone who does not carry with a round in the chamber is an idiot asking for trouble.
>>
Mdr vive la france
>>
>>28334139
The reality is that if you buy something you don't like it'll be shelved and brought out once every two years for 50 rounds of range time. Do yourself a favor, and figure out if you're interested in actually shooting regularly. If you are, buy something that you will want to practice with.
>>
>>28334166
No
>>
>>28334043
+1

Agreed. A good holster, specifically designed for your model of firearm, should prevent anything from getting in the trigger guard while holstered.

And for re-holstering, if the situation allows you, I would go as far as to remove the holster from your body, put the handgun back in the holster, and then replace the now holstered firearm back onto yourself. This would reduce the potential of snagging the trigger on something while re-holstering, and discharging the firearm into your leg or whatever.
>>
>>28334180
I would imagine that choosing a restaurant to eat at with you would be a chore.
>>
I have a glock 19 and don't carry with one in the chamber because it's far too dangerous and unsafe with only a trigger safety. There's many videos of cops (who get extensive training unlike us civvies) accidentally shooting themselves or others just while reholstering.

It's far safety to carry and more practical to have to manually load the first round in a defensive situation. Any one who tells you otherwise is nothing more than an online operator who thinks their a navy seal. They simply lack the mindset of what it means to even carry concealed because they think they can get attacked at any time and are paranoid. It's far safer and highly unlikely you'd ever need a gun in the first place so why put yourself in even more danger?
>>
>>28334213
>who get extensive training unlike us civvie
HAHAHAAHAAHAAHAHAHAH
>>
>>28334213
>extensive training

Depends on the academy/precinct. Some LEOs have less than ideal training and skills.
>>
>>28334203
Which resturaunt would you like to go to?
>>
>>28334302
I was thinking mexican. Alternatively, whoever makes the best chicken fried steak in town.
>>
>>28334213
That's ridiculous, the likelihood of you having to use your pistol is high enough for you to carry a pistol apparently, but you won't carry it ready to use? Drawing a pistol and shooting someone is not something that you want to slow yourself down on in any way if you have to do it. When seconds oftentimes can mean the difference between life and death. If you're worried about the safety aspect why not get a gun with a manual safety and train with it like some of the other anons?
>>
>>28334320
Sounds good lets go
>>
>>28333972
That whole argument hinges on the use of a good holster with trigger coverage and the use of a holsters. Nothing in life is absolute. >>28333941 doesn't account for da/sa guns that can be cocked and locked functionally making it a SA with second strike capability

Stiker, SAO, DA/SA whatever, that's all personal preference. Not carrying with one in the chamber is retarded for anything but an ancient single action revolver
>>
>>28333850
I carry with one in the chamber and on fire cause the AFI tells me to do so
>>
File: E1.jpg (191 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
E1.jpg
191 KB, 640x480
>>28333850
For me it's safety off, empty chamber.

Since I have a DA/SA Beretta, I've experimented with safety off, round in the chamber, but I felt uneasy about it.
>>
>all these people carrying unloaded guns
>>
>>28337603
Why though?

It will take infinitely more time to rack the slide and chamber a round than it would to disengage the safety as you draw the pistol. Unless you have ultra manlet hands and can't easily reach the safety, there is literally no reason you shouldn't carry chamber loaded, safety on.
>>
>>28337739
Just for safety purposes.

Something about using both hands to chamber a round versus just casually flicking a switch. If I'm drawing my carry gun, I am out to kill somebody. I just want to make sure that I just want to be both consciously and sub-consciously positive on when I do that. Plus, racking the slide eliminates the heavy DA trigger pull.
>>
>>28337871
If you're drawing your weapon, someone is actively trying to kill you or someone else. Carrying *without* a round chambered is a ridiculous and unnecessary liability. If you don't feel comfortable carrying a loaded firearm perhaps you should reevaluate carrying in general?
>>
>>28333850
Round in the chamber, no safety. I'm not a pussy.
>>
you'll cowards is faggots n going to shot yourselfs in the leg with your 1 in the chamber faggotry.

if you are in a self defense scenario your priorities should be:
1)get to cover
2)draw and rack slide
3)return fire

in the get to cover step you will allow yourself plenty of time to ready your weapon, if you are a dumbass and draw at the first sight of well anything, then you will get killed instantly like a faggot.
>>
>>28338827
Good luck racking the slide if you are struggling with an attacker or you have been injured and only have use of one arm. During a legitimate self defense scenario you will lose all fine motor skills and rational thought. I'd rather have less things to do to ready my weapon while I'm tactically sitting my pants. Just mho.
>>
>>28338723
fuck yea

>>28333850
Round chambered. Safety always off
>>
>>28338879
shit your pants and lace up your boots at the same time like a man u fagent
>>
>>28333850
Round chambered, no safety. Unless I'm carrying my 1911, Then it's condition 1.
>>
>>28333956
Want my 3 minutes back you piece of shit
>>
>>28333941
>striker fired guns like glocks
I've seen too many videos on Youtube of people slapping a glock and having it fire.
>>
>>28333850
Carrying with an empty chamber or cylinder is fucking retarded unless you're carrying a black powder pistol that doesn't have a firing pin block.

Why require the added racking of a round to your draw in a self defense situation?
It's fucking stupid.
>>
>>28333850
I always carry with empty chamber

Knew a nigger who had to go to the ER because his gun went off in his pants
>>
>>28338879
>>28338827
This sums up my cognitive dissonance about carrying a glock in a versacarry.

On one hand, seems like everybody on /k/ is triggered by not carrying g2g on account of muggers jumping out of bushes

On the other hand, I'm an intimidating, able bodied, combat effective individual and I firmly believe a gun is just a tool in a kit, not the answer to everything.

Ultimately, I decided that the safety afforded by carrying on empty serves me better than being ready for some terribly random mugging.
>>
>>28339556
Ok post one.
>>
>>28339610
It's a really good fucking tool.

>>28339602
>gun went off in his pants
Probably because he was a dumb nigger and was carrying his fucking Lorcin loose in his pants pocket with his fucking keys.
>>
>>28338827
1 in the chamber is perfectly acceptable with a manual safety
>>
>>28333850
There's zero reason to carry an unloaded gun.
Get a decent holster and don't carry antique guns. You'll be fine.

Seriously, they're simple machines. There's no reason to be afraid of them like this. If you're always competent, careful and wary when dealing with them you'll never have a problem.

But, if you really can't trust yourself not to shoot yourself with a loaded gun. It would probably be best if you chose not to carry.
>>
>>28333850
>Sig P239
>Round in the chamber
>Decocked
>>
>>28337929
I'm just trying to avoid going to jail for shooting someone, that's all.
>>
>>28339556
prove it faggot
>>
>>28333850
I don't carry one in the chamber, but that's because I'm betting on if I draw using it to get away. If I go to a more dangerous area I'll put one in the chamber.
>>
File: 1330573824756.jpg (13 KB, 321x321) Image search: [Google]
1330573824756.jpg
13 KB, 321x321
>>28339781
>>
>>28339576
>>28339696
>It's a really good fucking tool
So is my brain, my legs, my arms and hands. And I'll have those with me if I'm plucked from earth and dropped into a barren Predator arena

Realistically speaking, the only time a gun seems like the only answer is when faced with a mass shooting of some sort. In that case, I'll absolutely be getting to cover first (if I'm even in the vicinity), and once I'm safe I'll unholster and ready my weapon

This is my philosophy when carrying a safe action/DAO type with no manual safety in a versacarry specifically. The slide in trigger guard is a joke - binned that shit immediately. Now if I was carrying in a legit kydex IWB I would have absolutely NO PROBLEM carrying with one in the chamber. That provides perfectly adequate trigger protection and modern handguns are more than safe for carrying +1'd
>>
>>28339781
>being inconsistent

why
>>
>>28339763
If you seriously don't trust yourself to make the right decision with a round in the chamber, maybe you shouldn't carry at all.
Because if that shit happens, and your attacker isn't scared off when you pull your gun, and he gets the drop on you because you don't have a round chambered, he'll also have your gun and that's a liability too.
>>
>>28339796
Versacarry is a stupid product and a dumb way to carry.
Only topped by that one with the rod shoved in the barrel attached to a string and ring.
>>
>>28333850
I carry my m9 in the army half cocked one in the tube.
>>
Condition zero is condition hero
>>
>1 in the chamber
If you have to shoot from the hip you obviously haven't had time to think. How fast can you cock a pistol?
>Fast enough to do it while you're aiming down your sights.
>>
>>28339934
Oh shit, this fucker is busting out meme arrows!
>>
>>28333850
Anyone that really can't trust themselves to carry a chambered, safety-less gun in a proper holster should go hit the range and shoot a box of ammo at least every week for all of 2016. If not more often.

Not just bench ranges either. Go compete in USPSA or IDPA a couple times if you can and get comfortable with your loaded gun when walking and moving. The only reason you're scared of your gun is because you're unfamiliar with it.

Not saying this to insult or criticize anyone. It's just better for everyone if the CC crowd is also safe, confident and well-trained with their weapons.
>>
File: is_dat_a_foday.jpg (3 MB, 3851x2933) Image search: [Google]
is_dat_a_foday.jpg
3 MB, 3851x2933
1 in the chamber, no 'safety'
I have a kydex holster, so no leather/fabric to bend and pull the trigger while holstered
nothing to forget about in a high stress situation, if you need your gun fucking with a combination of slide racking and a safety is retarded
Also, it gives me an extra round
>>
>>28339847
can't even deny his about versacarry, but it is comfy as fuck

I'm debating installing one of the slide cover mounted belt clips (a la the LCP/PF9) but that doesn't solve the trigger exposure (only the 'running around with a barrel obstruction part)

When I think about it, the versacarry ends up being my interim holster while I narrow down/order a more permanent solution.
>>
>>28340069
Not sure what gun you're talking about, but if you have a Glock, Raven Concealment makes these great trigger guard covers just for that type of carry.

They work really well when paired with one of those slide-mounted belt clips.
>>
>>28339956
>meme arrows
spotted the newfag
>>
>>28340123
Indeed talking about glock, and those minimal trigger guards are a worthy mention

here's what I get really hung up on:

I'd go the belt clip/MIC holster route but it looks like EVERY belt clip come up to and slightly over the bottom of the ejection port. What are the chances of that effecting reliability?
>>
>>28340142
>not knowing the cool name for memetexting

get a load of this newfag
>>
>>28340187
I've only seen it used on a Gen4 Glock 26, but it didn't impede normal function at all.

I can't comment on other models or even if this is the case for all of them. Sorry.

Definitely test it a lot on your own Glock if/when you do install it.
>>
File: warrant for pol.jpg (58 KB, 537x720) Image search: [Google]
warrant for pol.jpg
58 KB, 537x720
Wha I'm scared of muh tool, but I'm a big scary man who's faster than 90% and will likely never be attacked cuz' of my intimidating nature.

I just cannot believe we are still having this external safety bullshit debate at this point of it being done to death. If no external safety was one iota as dangerous as you clowns make it out to be the hospitals would be overflowing with "glock leg" (they aren't).

You keep playing your "meh only some guns are loaded" game and I'll keep treating them as if they are all loaded as is how I carry them and we'll see who shoots themselves first.
>>
>>28339959
This is very true, if you're afraid of your weapon you shouldn't be carrying it.

>>28340352
The trick is to just own and be comfortable with all of them.

>Own manual safety guns
>Safetyless guns
>DA/SA guns with decocker
>Carry all of them at one time or another
>Compete with all of them
>Unless a gun is mechanically unsafe or unreliable I have no reason to dislike it
>>
>>28340245
Would be a gen3 G26 with recent manufacture date. Happy to hear the positive report. Think I'll give it a shot
>>
>>28334213
"In reality, most police departments only train about two times a year, averaging less than 15 hours annually. In contrast to our frequency of training, those same suspects revealed that they practiced on average 23 times a year (or almost twice a month) with their handguns." (https://www.policeone.com/training/articles/3738401-Police-firearms-training-How-often-should-you-be-shooting/)

So the suspects get more training than the police. That explains why in San Bernardino, two shooters were able to kill 12 and wound many more with only 75 rounds expended.
>>
>>28340142
>me a newfag

Right son.
>>
File: 1376106598103.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1376106598103.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>28334222
>tfw military
>tfw get new glocks for $399
>>
>>28333850
You need a safety regardless of whether or not the trigger is covered because you're going to have to put in back in the holster without shooting your leg after using it. So yeah why not carry one in the chamber if you're smart and you've got a safety.
>>
You could always carry a revolver on an empty chamber with a long trigger pull.
>>
>>28333956
>2015
>not utilizing pocket sand
>>
>>28333850
I personally carry with a round chambered, safety on, but that's because my LC9s has a thumb safety I can quickly and easily disengage while drawing.
>>
>>28343320
Your gun has a safety? what year is this?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.