[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Howdy, Is there a military recruiter around on /k/ tonight,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: UK_Nuclear_Submarine.gif (104 KB, 910x431) Image search: [Google]
UK_Nuclear_Submarine.gif
104 KB, 910x431
Howdy,

Is there a military recruiter around on /k/ tonight, or someone who is willing to answer some questions?

I am a 22 year old college grad, degree is in geology, and interested in an officer's commission into the armed forces.

GPA was 2.98, and was diagnosed with ADHD and has taken ADHD medication within the last year. What are my chances for an exemption and getting a commission? I am in good physical shape and have a clean record.
>>
In what branch? Go to the Military Enlistment General, I think it's still alive.

Don't even talk to enlisted recruiters, they are just going to try to convince you that enlisted is the way to go. It's not. Being enlisted sucks
>>
>>28328559
That thread is dead. Thanks for the heads up on enlistment.
>>
>>28328559

>enlisted recruiters

You have to specifically deny, on paper, seeking a comission before you enlist if you have a college degree.

And it's not 1995 anymore. Recruiters know they can only lie to you about things you dont bother to look up yourself.
>>
>>28328469
For the US?
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA......no.

GPA doesn't matter as long as you have your degree. We're going peacetime so it is much harder to get a waiver for something like ADHD. You could omit the fact you have ADHD and still get in but if they find out you lied (yes, they'll count that as lying) then you get kicked out at minimum. At worst its what, 5 years federal prison and upwards of $10,000 USD fine?
>>
>>28328671
If thats the case, how can you know? Seems like a one hell of a gamble, if you want to be an officer but they decide they want you to be a cook. The one I talked to said to just lie about t
>>
>>28328733
fucking 4chan

The one I talked to said to just lie about taking medications. I am fully functional without them. I know that can lead to issues down the road, which is one of the reasons I am asking about a waiver.
>>
>>28328733
>>28328759
Know what? That recruiters lie or the med shit. As I noted here >>28328717 you can lie about having ADHD but if they find out they'll fuck you.
>>
>>28328826
ADHD is not disqualifying unless you have taken medication within the last year. All he would need to do is not take it for a year since the last time he took it and he would not need a waiver unless it is medically significant, like not being able to hold still for 5 minutes.
>>
>>28328887
Yeah, how bad is your ADHD OP? Since you're a damned adult taking it I assume it's bad.
>>
Totally stand up during moment of truth and tell them you lied. They won't kick you, I promise
>>
>>28328924
Not bad at all. My diagnosis was when I was eight, and did not take medication until my final year of school, because I had 21 credits. I doubted I still had it, but my doctor said "you are kicking your foot while we are talking" and that was enough for an addy script. I have only used it a couple times since graduation, mostly when cleaning. I stopped taking it around a month and a half ago when I learned it could affect military eligibility.
>>
>>28329048
Got to love Dr. Feelgood.
>>
>>28329048
>kicking foot
Well fuck I do that all the damn time. Guess they need to lock me up and fine me for lying then.

Feel free to lie OP just be warned that if they find out you will be punished. It would be better if you waited a year and I recommend that you don't go to that doctor anymore. Is that doctor a medical doctor or a psychiatrist/psychologist?
>>
>>2832913
Medical doc. I would trust him with my life, seeing as he saved it once. I have been filling prescriptions as its an automatic thing, so it would be really easy for them to prove that I lied. Honestly, I would rather work as a civie, but there are no jobs right now. Fucking Saudies. I am an oil geologist. Some allies eh?
>>
>>28329172
Medical doc? Well that's stupid.

Anyway, it's hard for them to prove you lied because it is hard for them to get your paperwork from the hospitals. It rarely happens and when someone does get caught it's usually because the confessed or their condition was bad enough to effect their performance.
>>
>>28329130
The guy who gave me my diagnosis 4 years ago is a psych. Do I tell the army when I enlist? I literally only filled the scrip once
>>
>>28329803
Depending on how cool the recruiter is, ask how hard it would be to get a waiver. If he can't then lie if you are so desperate to get in. As another anon noted if you haven't filled the prescription in the past year then you shouldn't need a waiver.
>>
What about drug usage? I will be graduating college in two years and have used marijuana, shrooms, and acid. Marijuana about 20 times, never procuring it for myself, shrooms and acid only once and by the time I will have applied and graduated college I will have been completely clean of anything for 2 plus years. I only experimented with shrooms and acid once and never intend to try them again. Is there any legitimate option for me to join the military or should I just move on, I wouldn't want to lie for fear of having my ass locked up when I could be doing more productive things with my life.
>>
>>28331920
>Is there any legitimate option for me to join the military or should I just move on
The only proof they have is you. Unless you have a bunch of photos of you smoking pot all over your facebook and walk into the recruiter with a blunt and dreadlocks you never took drugs. The military doesnt make it a point to track down people and ask them if they ever did drugs with you.

As long as you piss clean youre fine
>>
>>28331963
How hard do they grill you though? I'm not the best lier nor intend to become one just to join the military. I would rather get a waiver, has anyone here had issues like this and gotten a waiver? Would being honest about my past help me or harm me if I was genuine with them?
>>
>>28332001
>How hard do they grill you though?
"Have you ever done drugs"
"No"
End

Like I said unless you show up with rasta shirt smelling like pot they wont push you any harder. The recruiters dont give a shit.
>Would being honest about my past help me or harm me if I was genuine with them?
Yes, telling them is the worst. Dont bring it up, dont think about it, dont do anything that would imply you do drugs.

I dont know how you can be two years into college and not know how to keep your mouth shut about shit. Its not rocket science.
>>
>>28332014
I'd rather serve with a clean conscience I guess, otherwise I'd try and harken back to my French roots and join the FFL.
>>
>>28328469
/meg/ faget.
>>
File: sensiblechuckle.gif (993 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensiblechuckle.gif
993 KB, 250x250
>>28332038

you're never gonna make it kid. go look at some fucking rocks
>>
File: 1369982760764.png (671 KB, 609x739) Image search: [Google]
1369982760764.png
671 KB, 609x739
>>28332038
>I'd rather serve with a clean conscience I guess, otherwise I'd try and harken back to my French roots and join the FFL.
To be honest you dont sound like you are cut out for the military at all. Everyone in the military looks the other way for something. Lose the boyscout attitude or you are going to have a difficult time in the real world military or not.
>>
>>28332049
>OP and I are the same people
I fucking hate rocks.
>kid
Not after I join up.
>>
>>28332073
Ok I get it, you gotta lie to get in if you have any shit.
>>
>>28328559
>they are just going to try to convince you that enlisted is the way to go. It's not. Being enlisted sucks

Does being enlisted really suck that bad
>In college for EE
>Can't afford it anymore
>Owe the school 2000$ and can't take classes until I pay it
>just got fired from my seasonal job
>Original plan was to finish college, go in as officer if I couldn't find a job paying 300k starting in a year

But I am stuck in some shit now and really thinking about just enlisting now for that GI bill and benefits/disposable income a month

My biggest issues I can see occuring (In least to most)
>Exercise
While I am not a total fat ass, for my height I am 2-7lb's over the max and I don't workout/exercise that often
>The fact I can't drive
>Vaccines
A certain water filter salesmen told me they were hella bad
>Peanut butter shot
>Literally my entire family giving me shit about it if I join

I am not looking to join until this year next time when we know who is going to president
>Serving under Yeb "I speak Spanish at home" bush, Bernie "tax the 1%" Sanders, or Hillary "you mean wipe the actual servers with a washcloth...TURKEY" Clinton

What are some of the MOS that are somewhat close to Electrical Engineering in the Air Force. I'd be looking at that or something to do with operating a drone.
>>
>>28332090
>Ok I get it, you gotta lie to get in if you have any shit.
Its not lying as much as it is concealing unnecessary truths. It does not impact you as a solider so it is not relevant.
>>
>>28331920
It's not a disqualifier. They won't grill you hard. If you ever apply for a Top Secret clearance, they will question your friends.

Some jobs will require you to be polygraphed. In that case you will be grilled, police interrogation style.

Just admit it. As long as you piss clean you're fine.
>>
>>28332158
Lots enlistees went to college for a while and it didn't work out.

>Exercise
Start working out now.

>Can't drive
Doesn't matter.

>Vaccines
Mandatory unless you have a legitimate medical reason such as a documented allergy to vaccine components. I've been stuck dozens of times.

>Peanut butter
What?
>Family giving me shit
Fuck them. Are they going to pay your bills for you?

>Waiting a year
Get started now. The job you want might have a long wait. A year isn't unheard of.

>MOS
I'm in the Army, I don't know shit about the Air Force. Look into: Signals, Military Intelligence, Cyber, Air Defense. Do your homework before you make a decision and sign something.
>>
>>28328469
>geology
>ADHD
>shit-tier degree
>retarded
Your chances are zero. They might make you an E-4, but even that is unlikely with the spastic issue.
>>
>>28331920

you "experimented once with weed but never did it again"

that's the extent of your drug usage. tell your friends, your family, everybody.

i worked in recruiting for two weeks last year during some down time in my life, and that was a recurring theme. any drug usage more than that and you're DQ'd without a waiver. you pretty much need to be a genius olympian neurosurgeon to get that waiver because there's another kid who was drug free who is better qualified and ready to take your slot.

honestly with hallucinogen use, i'd be more comfortable wit you not in my military.
>>
Are you going for a job/career with Sensitive/Top Secret clearance? Don't lie, declare everything.

Are you going to be a cook/bullet catcher/cop? Lie your ass off
>>
>>28332158

do the guard or reserves, apply for a commission when you graduate.

work out now so boot camp suck less. it's not that bad, but it's easier going from 60 to 80 than 0 to 80
>>
>>28333239
Actually, do what >>28333217 says
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.