[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
With putting a couple thousands of rounds per year through my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 22106007813_9e6e8db35e_h.jpg (542 KB, 1600x891) Image search: [Google]
22106007813_9e6e8db35e_h.jpg
542 KB, 1600x891
With putting a couple thousands of rounds per year through my DD MK18. What should I plan on replacing yearly?

>o rings?
>extractor spring?
>>
Nothing.

You keep spare parts on hand and replace parts only if they actually break.
>O ring
I dont know why these are even a thing. Every gunsmith I've ever talked to says to remove them, the rifle actually functions better without them.
>mfw my PSA NiB bcg had two of them on the extractor spring
>>
>>28317988
>MK18 upper
>Warden
>Surefire light
>ir laser
>a fucking Elcan
>shockwave blade
You better fucking live in a state that doesn't allow SBRs.
>>
None, just clean and lubricate the gun normally. Parts typically fail with neglect and abuse or poor quality from the start.
>>
>>28318037
waiting on my form 1
>>
>>28318045
>>28318033

I was under the impression that SBR's were harsh on certain components and that they should be replaced every couple thousand rounds.
>>
>>28318073
Good man.

I assume a can is also on the way?
>>
>>28318100

Here comes the excuse train. I need to get a govnah adjustable gas block before I run a suppressor on this thing. Sooo.. I haven't gotten the suppressor yet.

Forgive me. Forgive.. me..
>>
>>28318118
At least you have a Form 1 for the SBR.

On a serious note, you have a nice looking gun. It'll make a great MK18 clone. As for you original question, I keep lots of spare parts on hand but don't replace anything until it breaks.

SBRs are harsher on the bolt and other components, so you will likely be replacing components more frequently than a regular length rifle. Considering I have over 10k rounds through my main AR with no part breakages, I'd bet that you still won't be replacing anything yearly or even bi-yearly.
>>
>>28318160

Thanks, I've seen the same with my 16 inch midlength.

I'm considering slapping a vltor A5 system in my Mk18. I have one in my 16 inch midlength and it's a dream.
>>
>>28318183
Seconding how long parts last.

I have 4 ARs and 3 additional complete uppers, including a 10.5" 5.56, 11" 6.8, and 7.5" .300blk upper for my SBR lower.

The only part Ive ever broken was my first 6.8 bolt, it sheared a pair of lugs at the 4k round mark. All of my uppers have at least 7k rounds through them, and my .300blk has close to 15k.
>>
File: Mk18 1.jpg (180 KB, 736x398) Image search: [Google]
Mk18 1.jpg
180 KB, 736x398
>>28317988
You should seriously consider replacing your standard buffer, extractor, & ejector springs with Sprinco chrome-silicon versions. They are rated for an insane amount of compression cycles. The upgraded springs were some of the best cheap upgrades I've ever made to my rifles. Especially with a somewhat over-gassed gun like a Mk18, they really do make a difference. Their 5-coil extractor springs don't need the o-ring, just the polymer post & you're good to go.
Also consider the Vltor A5 system when your form 1 comes in. It really helps combat bolt bounce & control cyclic rate. These guys make a buffer spring specifically for that system too.
http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html
>>
>>28318519
Thanks for the input. I'll probably use the springco springs in that case in addition to a a-5 system.
>>
>>28318385
>6.8 bolt, it sheared a pair of lugs at the 4k round mark. All of my uppers have at least 7k rounds through them, and my .300blk has close to 15k

FUG. You either reload like a madman or you shit money. I wish I could afford to practice that much. Good for you either way anon.
>>
>>28318546
You won't be disappointed. Glad I could help anon. Merry Christmas.
>>
File: POF-RCP-AR15-2.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
POF-RCP-AR15-2.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
Cam Pins dude. SBRs are harsher on the cam pin and they can get sheared off. I would recommend keeping one and an extra bolt handy.

You can also upgrade to one of those high speed cam pins made for SBRs and other overgassed rifles though. The KAC SR-15 design uses a rounded and differentially hardened cam pin IIRC
>>
>>28317988
If it's a good build?

"Nothing".

I'd still have an extractor assembly handy though.
>>
File: side_orange_lightmk18.jpg (235 KB, 1123x659) Image search: [Google]
side_orange_lightmk18.jpg
235 KB, 1123x659
>>28318575

I recently bought a factory built DD Mk18. Will it's cam pin be good to go?
>>
>>28318584
Yeah, DD BCGs are solid. Really any company that makes a decent BCG will make a cam pin that doesn't suck. You don't really have to worry about the cam pin until 5-7k rounds

You shouldn't have to replace it, but consider it as insurance to upgrade.
>>
>>28318555
I reload like a madman, ya.
>palmetto projectiles plus range scavenged 5.56 brass
>got in on a hell of a deal on pulled Fusion 6.8spc bullets, bought 10k of them
>>
Side note, does anyone know the difference between the Mk18 & other similar length Daniel Defense uppers? As far as I can tell you pay an extra $300 for your upper to be marked "MK18" on one side.
>>
>>28318654
Noice
>>
>>28318073
>1776+ 239
Asking government permission to exercise your rights
>>
>>28318706
I shoot competitions. Crusty people would report me.
>>
I've almost talked myself out of building one with a Shock blade, I really hate to be snitched and loose my rights over some bullshit. Even thou that whole ATF/Brace shit is about as clear as mud. I understand that they didn't create a law. its their opinion, but I don't know how far they would go to enforce it.
>>
>>28318676

They only have one 10.3 inch upper?
>>
Looks like you live in California, based upon that bullet button mag release, OP.
>>
>>28318838
You can find uppers in built by them with their 11.5 inch barrel. Just wondering if there was a real difference other than price. I'd take the extra inch in length for velocity & reliability reasons, even if it is a very small margin.
Example:
Mk18 - https://www.westernsport.com/product/daniel-defense-m4-urg-mk18-fde/
DD 11.5'' - https://www.westernsport.com/product/daniel-defense-factory-5-56-custom-11-5-urg-ws-13/
>>
>>28318033
>no o-ring on sbr

That's a mistake.
>>
>>28319292
how so?
>>
>>28317988
>All that gear
>PVS-7's
>>
>>28320849
PVS-7s are still pretty decent. It's better than nothing, but they're really hard to shoot with and have a shitty bayonet mount
>>
>>28318750

what do you think they re gonna do, walk up and ask to see your tax stamp?
>>
>>28320856

They're really hard to do anything with including walk let alone shoot.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.