[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
open carry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (109 KB, 600x464) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109 KB, 600x464
what's your views on open carry? my parents just told me that they don't mind me carrying when I go out with them, but that I shouldn't open carry because it might make people uncomfortable, or antagonize them. my response was pretty much that I don't care how it makes them feel, it's my right as a citizen, and people should excercise their rights
>>
>>28278364
It's illegal in my home city, but whenever I go down south to visit family I OC. Nobody gives a shit, and if they do they just give me dirty looks
>>
>>28278364

I don't care if ppl open or conceal carry. Though open carry is not my style, I'm still happy to see ppl exercising the right to carry.
>>
>>28278364
OC handguns is fine. OC of long guns is not necessary and stupid.
>>
>>28278364
Open carry has a few legitamate uses.
Left in the morning with a big jacket and an OWB holster because you didn't expect the day to be so hot? Alright, people make mistakes.
Transporting guns to/from gun stores/ranges and, for whatever reason, your car is not parked immediatly outside? Fine, gotta transport that shit somehow.
Going out innawoods, want to carry bear protection? Fine, you probably won't run into people anyway.
Stopping to grab some snacks on your way into/out of the woods. Holsters can be annoying to remove and walking around with an empty holster makes you feel stupid.
There are a dozen other reasons. As an EDC choice though, it just attracts unneccessary attnetion.
>>
>>28278364

I don't OC but I wish more people did to help "normalize guns" and all that shit. I don't OC mainly because I have to conceal carry at my work against company policy and I'm too lazy to actually get an OC holster for weekends.
>>
U can't do nuttin officer just flexin Muh rights molina labay
>>
>>28278364
Carrying a handgun is fine, carrying a long gun seems like more of a pain in the ass than it's worth, and most of the people I've met who OC'd long guns seemed to be doing so just to piss people off.
>>
>>28278364

I believe open carry needs to be legal.

Even if you conceal, like I do, you should be protected from any instance of "I SAW A GUN!", whether it be printing, your shirt getting caught on something, or an open jacket.

I also think that if you are primarily openly displaying your weapon that you should make appropriate holster choices, and not carry a rifle at low ready position.
>>
>>28278364
Totally legal in my state HOWEVER. I don't like making myself a "target" weather that be in the form of people giving me a hard time, the police being called, or in the extreme be picked out first in a shooting because I have the ability to fight back. Plus I like to keep the element of surprise as long as possible in a scenario where I may need my firearm. All in all do what you wish. If you feel you are expressing your right. Go for it. I'm not opposed to OC. Just not for me particularly
>>
>>28278364

Ive heard this before from gun grabbers:
"Someone will shoot you if they see your gun because theyll be afraid for their life and shoot you first"

Liberals...so unstable. Theyre literally a breath away from violent murder if "triggered".
>>
>>28278364
you should never OC unless your occupation requires it. End of discussion. Everyone ive seen who OCs are the type of people that drive lifted jeeps and trucks with "I carry sig sauer" and NRA stickers all over them. I know its supposed to normalize the appearance of firearms, but you only see douchebags doing so.
>>
>>28278364
I think open carry is a stupid misguided attempt to enforce muh rights. A few years back someone got arrested for causing a panic because the dipshit was opening carrying near a school.
And you should care what people think, making people uncomfortable is just turning them against guns more.

Cops are a bit trigger happy these days too...
>>
>>28278435
There is some truth to this. There are two kinds of criminals, the majority that will not commit a crime if they know or suspect someone near by has a gun, and the minority that will. In case of the majority, OCing prevents a crime before it happens. In the case of the minority, OCing means you get shot first, before you have a chance to respond.
>>
>>28278451
So, people shouldn't do something because all you ever see doing it are douchebags?
>>
>>28278364

Dumb, stop trying to impress people
>>
>>28278468
I think he's saying that if you do it, don't be a douchebag

Remember that when you OC, you are representing gun owners everywhere
>>
OC of long guns, unless you're hunting/etc, is just fuckinb asking to get punched in the face
>>
>>28278364
So long as you're not constantly slinging a rifle around I think you're okay. Carry rifles when you're taking them somewhere, not when you're going to mcdonalds or wherever the fuck. It's you're right, but you kinda look like a tool imo
>>
I belive all forms of open carry short of brandishing a loaded weapon should be legal and accepted. However, it is tactically unwise to show your cards like that too a would- be assailant. Case in point; a man in Wal Mart recently was attacked while using the urinal in the bathroom while open carrying his Springfield XD. He was knocked unconscious by the two criminals, who then stole his gun, they have yet to be identified. Long story short, no matter how much you think you are paying attention to your surroundings, somebody can always find a way to get the upper hand on you. Better to not be a target in the first place and just conceal carry, if you ask my opinion.
>>
>>28278364
If you OC when you could CC I think you are a douchebag.

If you OC hi-capacity rifle for no other reason than "muh rights", you are a douchebag.

Having the right does not mean you need to fully exploit it to complete letter of the law.
>>
I don't have a problem with OC, in fact I like seeing people do it. However I only CC because I don't want to deal with some dipshit calling the police on me again, it's a pain in the ass and humiliating even when you've done nothing wrong.
>>
CC is the better option. You avoid making yourself a target, and put yourself in a position to surprise an assailant.

Also, your parents indicate it also makes them uncomfortable because they're considerate of others.
So not only is it more tactically sound to CC, but its polite to your parents and your fellow Americans.
>>
>>28278364
I believe in the absolute right of someone to open carry anywhere, and the restrictions upon doing so as violations of that natural and sacred right
THAT SAID, don't open carry in 99% of situations, its dumb and antagonizes normies and puts danger upon you
>>
File: tmp_21447-lf-1756432122.jpg (13 KB, 200x191) Image search: [Google]
tmp_21447-lf-1756432122.jpg
13 KB, 200x191
>>28278451
>never
Stopped reading right there.
>>
If you don't support the right of the people to bear arms, then you should kill yourself.

That's the bottom line.
>>
>>28278459
Care to post any cases of OCing people being assaulted or shot?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I OC at work. Once I get into my truck, I put my pistol in it's case. But I leave my holster on because I can't be bothered to take it off too.

Pic unrelated: a bunch of 9mm shields we got today
>>
>>28278364
OCing a handgun in a holster with secondary retention is fine, OCing an AK with a one point sling is retarded.
>>
literally no one should give a shit
hell, they should be more worried about CC than OC
but people, being the retarded monkeys that they are, are more scared of something they can see than what they can't

also 'it might antagonize them' lol
yes, lets pick a fight with the person with a gun

finally 'my parents don't want me to oc with them but muh rights'
don't be a shit cunt. their your parents. honor their wishes while with them
i swear, kids in this day and age
>>
Here, I can post the official /k/ opinion and you can stop making this thread:

If you are going to open carry because you have a reason to, and act like a normal person while doing it, there is no problem.

If however, you are going to open carry for attention while flitting around like a man-child, don't. You give everyone else a bad image when you act like a weirdo.

The right to open carry is not the right to creep everyone else the fuck out, or to be a goddamn nuisance to cops. It's the right to carry a gun openly for your self defense. Please act like it is a responsibility and right that you take seriously, and not a way to get attention because you are autistic.
>>
>>28278364
OC draws unnecessary attention to you. This is counter to your goal in carrying which should be to keep yourself safe. This goes quadruple for OCing long guns, this is literally just attention whoring.
>>
>>28278468
I only ever see douchebags acting like douchebags, seems like a good enough reason not to act like a douchebag
>>
>>28278364
For autists and tryhards
>>
>>28281542
this
>>
>>28281427
>Works at a gunshop
>open carries
Wow, no fucking shit m8
>>
File: youre a faggot.gif (30 KB, 630x538) Image search: [Google]
youre a faggot.gif
30 KB, 630x538
>>28278364
>>
>>28278364

Why is that guy carrying a $1000 gun in a $25 holster?
>>
File: 1388854483912.jpg (84 KB, 632x624) Image search: [Google]
1388854483912.jpg
84 KB, 632x624
>>28278451
>mfw i drive a lifted jeep and open carry
>>
>>28278364
Open carry a full size on hip, ccw a backup gun in small of back or ankle.
>>
I figure you don't let the element of surprise get away from you if you're ever in a situation where you might need it around people. Moose however, don't give a shit and will wreck your ass whether you show em your gun or not. Thus the .44 gets OC'd on the ranch and the 9mm gets CC'd around town.
>>
>>28278364
I'll just think you're retarded for announcing to any criminals "lookie here I have this gun come and get it"

If you're carrying OWB with a long shirt/jacket that's fine, but if you're carrying like the fag in your picture, you're just mentally deficient.
>>
>>28278364
It's pretty fucking gay and isn't helping us convince the libfags in politics
>>
>>28278364
Open carrying will just make you the first target if a bad guy decides to open up.
>>
open carrying handguns is fine, but open carrying long guns is stupid unless you're innawoods
>>
>>28281350
Faggot detected. Go OC your panther Oracle and out on your best pair of Wrangler denim.
>>
>>28278364
three major issues I see with it

1) you are making yourself a target, if someone wants a gun, or another gun, you have it on display. (kids have killed for far less valuable things)

2) you lose the MEGA advantage of surprise, CCW is far far more advantageous in pretty much any situation that may call for a gun.

3) you look like a total asshole and a person of lesser intelligence because of the above stated reasons
>>
>>28278364
As long as you're not going full autist and holding your AR-15 in a low ready outside of a preschool while yelling half-coherent statments at the police, I couldn't care less.
>>
I always thought you were supposed to be as discrete as possible with gun ownership. Don't attract attention to yourself and don't do anything that would alert others than you own/are carrying firearms.
>>
>>28285120
it is not required in our society to act intelligently
>>
>>28278451
This right here. People who open carry are basically real-life edge lords. There's always something "off" about them.
>>
File: 1406697222580.jpg (783 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1406697222580.jpg
783 KB, 1600x1200
>>28278504
>high capacity
unsubscribed
>>
mfw this thread is the most sensible i've seen /k/
>>
i started a troll thread on my local topix (i live in the south) and got generally negative impressions about open carry from the posters. They brought up many (if not to eloquently) of the points made in this thread. I agree with the consensus that you should only open carry if you have an explicit reason to do so like short trips or going to and from the range being in the woods etc. I think the dissuasion / provocation of crime or attack is a wash either way. Tho, wearing a leather IWB with girl pants on is a little uncomfortable sometimes.
>>
I OC a shoulder holster sometimes. Tuck in my shirt, wear a cowboy hat, wear slacks, nice shoes, nobody gives a shit.
>>
>>28278486

You didn't grow up in the country.
>>
>>28278486
>trying to punch someone who is clearly armed

About as good a way to get shot as there is.
>>
>>28278364
>I don't care how it makes them feel
WOW
>>
>>28285260
>i'm so used to the media indoctrination that guns r bad and the effects of it that I will now ostracize people who oc
>other's opinions affect how I exercise my rights and should affect others too

There was a time not too long ago when it wasn't even frowned upon or uncommon to see a kid at school with a 22 rifle.

Eat.
Shit.

SHALL
NOT
BE
INFRINGED
>>
>>28278364
if only open carry of long guns was more common and socially acceptable, america would truly be the greatest country then, and also who in their right mind would EVER even try to do a mass shooting if EVERYONE had an assault rifle on their back??
>>
>>28285752

>calling it a cowboy hat
>wearing shoes, not boots

Pound sand, cityslicker.
>>
>>28285835
>rifle sling'd on back
>random person punches you in the face unexpectedly
they have initiative; if they press the attack you're going to have to defend yourself with your fists before you can ready your weapon

>muh situational awareness
most people don't walk down the street warning others not to get within 21 ft of them
as unlikely as this is it's some random person attacking you
people get the drop on armed individuals
it happens
that's why they make retention holsters
and yet another reason why pistol open carry is better than long arm oc
>>
>>28285899
Everything in this post is true, and I wouldn't even try to say "muh awareness" to it.

I also really don't see the point in oc'ing a rifle in public, and even if someone does, it shouldn't be their go to weapon of self defense because of the mentioned issues.

I wouldn't criticize oc'ing a rifle in public, but it's there for a political statement. I also have no problem with that.
>>
I won't open carry, because one, it puts people off and I work customer service at my shop, and two let's say I'm walking somewhere and some dude wants to shoot the place up, if he sees my gun, I'm target #1.
>>
>>28285856
this
>shoulder holster
>not wearing a suit
>wut iz a stetson
>shoes
>ever
there is never a reason to not wear boots, especially with jeans. unless you're wearing a suit, then you wear boot cut dress shoes because you're a man.
>>
>>28278364

I should carry when I Hunt and during road tripd
>>
>>28281382
http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

took all of 5 seconds
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.