[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would you have a tank on legs rather than a tank on treads?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 18
Why would you have a tank on legs rather than a tank on treads?
>>
You wouldn't
>>
>>28273768
becus tank with legs can jump lol it can git a slam dunk
>>
File: image.png (331 KB, 623x662) Image search: [Google]
image.png
331 KB, 623x662
>>28273768
Because it's fucking cool
>>
>>28273768
Because walkers are cool as fuck.

Silliness aside, walkers can have a shitton of armor on their legs, which eliminates the issue of vulnerable tank treads in a universe where a heavy blaster like an E-Web could easily destroy treads.
>>
>>28273768
To negotiate stairs and ladders of course, as well as providing a weak point for plot reasons.
>>
>>28273804
shut it granin, the shagohod was a better idea than any of the anime mech shit you came up with
>>
File: 1403828698359.jpg (166 KB, 1000x527) Image search: [Google]
1403828698359.jpg
166 KB, 1000x527
>>28273768
It's frightening and adds emphasis to the "all terrain" part of their name.
>>
File: 1401581327859.jpg (103 KB, 976x549) Image search: [Google]
1401581327859.jpg
103 KB, 976x549
>>28273847
Imagine this great, lumbering beast marching towards you. It shrugs off whatever you fire at it, it throws back blaster fire that will annihilate anything, plus it carries a squad of stormtroopers. You can see them a long ways off, they can see you at that same range, and you can't outrun them.
>>
>>28273768
Better question, why would you use walkers on a sand planet where large portions are known to swallow your objects?

>That whole movie is garbage and JJ should commit sudoku
>>
>>28273951
>JJ should commit sudoku
Star Trek was actually pretty good. Of course, his source material there was so bad that it's unruinable, so it's not like he had a lot to live up to.
>>
>>28273768
>>28273941
>ridiculously high center of gravity
>can only fire forwards
>probably has a fuckhuge turning radius (have we ever even seen one turn?)

Probably the most dogshit walker design one could possibly come up with

Even the 40k walking cathedrals are better
>>
>>28273768
How else would plucky rebels be able to defeat them?
>>
File: 43667955_p0.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
43667955_p0.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>28273768

Because fuck you.
>>
This has already been done to death

It is a siege weapon. The only time they are pictured in action is during a siege. The legs are useful because you can fire over defending positions and step over them, which more than makes up for the fact that they're slower than the average /k/ browser.
>>
>>28274059
>have we ever even seen one turn?
Yes. They can turn in place and the heads have a pretty wide traverse.
>>
>>28274059
>something with legs
>turning radius
uh....
>>
File: Gekko.png (180 KB, 432x444) Image search: [Google]
Gekko.png
180 KB, 432x444
Only way I can see any kind of bipedal armor being practical is if they have the mobility to evade AT weapons, like pic related.

But seriously there is just no replacement for tread-based armor, at least in a conventional scenario.
>>
File: WET-CAT-modified.jpg (32 KB, 515x409) Image search: [Google]
WET-CAT-modified.jpg
32 KB, 515x409
>>28273768

It's idiotic and Lucas clearly has no technical education or science background.

There's virtually no "sci" in this "fi".
>>
File: 1428763604240.jpg (138 KB, 1024x656) Image search: [Google]
1428763604240.jpg
138 KB, 1024x656
>>28273835

There's no excuse for the stupidity.

They are gigantic targets, if their main purpose is troop delivery, how wold you even deliver the troops if they're 5 stories above the ground? That would require some elaborate and complex ramp or elevator system which undoubtedly would consume most of the usable space inside the hull.

Furthermore, there's no way to assume the legs are "better armored" since you can't assume they're made from magic space alloys, while the rest of the vehicle isn't.

And because of the construction of the joints, the stupid thing is reduced either to walking strictly forward or back. It can't move laterally,and the turning radius must be like 5 miles if there's some differential control of turning.

Not to mention the shitty armament locations.
>>
>>28274107
>this.

Firing over walls and having constant high ground. I believe there is a soldier drop hatch on the underbelly. So constant over wall fire, step over wall, drop troopers. Great siege weapon. Terrible replacement on battlefield for a tank though.

The clones had six legged close to the ground Walter tanks with 360 howitzers on em.
>>
>>28274352
Because Star Wars isn't sci fi. It's historical fantasy. Sci fi uses science to advance the plot, Star Wars uses "the force"
>>
>>28274377
>how wold you even deliver the troops if they're 5 stories above the ground?
They fast-rope out the bottom.
>>
>>28274377
>There's no excuse for the stupidity.
Well, the excuse is that its not trying to be a gritty military scifi. They are space siege towers, not tanks. I think the real stupidity in this discussion would be attempting to apply modern military thought to a space fantasy retelling of traditional Asian "heros journey" style mythology.
>>
>>28273768
you wouldn't
>>
>>28274767
It's more of a fantasy, in space.
>>
>>28273768
To give the tank a glaringly obvious weakness
>>
fear factor, and all terrain capabilities
>>
File: 2600_11431_v_g_gi21u.jpg (128 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
2600_11431_v_g_gi21u.jpg
128 KB, 800x600
because why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arIJm2lAfR8
>>
>>28273941

http://youtubedoubler.com/haQN
>>
>>28273768
I wouldn't. Tanks are tanks, mechs are mechs. Competing with a tank on it's own terms is stupid.

Now, having dudes in power armor ride a tank into battle? That works.
>>
>bury enormous amount of C4/plasma charges/thermal detonators/whatever you nerds would call them in a line on AT-AT approach
>detonate when first one is over
>even if explosion doesn't damage legs the thing is stuck in an enormous fucking trench
>Imperial core of engineers call orbital crane to get it out
>Y-Wing bombing runs in the meantime

The thing is all terrain as long as that terrain is only just a little bit bumpy. Fuck, A well dug trench of the right size covered up with sticks or a tarp could immobilize that damned thing.
>>
>>28273768
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFqk_Y
>>
>>28274767
>historical fantasy
Space opera. Historical fantasy is set on Earth and combines fantasy elements with real historical events and/or settings.
>>
>>28275166
>The thing is all terrain as long as that terrain is only just a little bit bumpy.
Except that's just wrong
>>
>>28275243
wrong.
>>
>>28274767
Sci-fy has long stopped meaning a story of science, modern people currently lable any story with futuristic setting as sci-fy. Almost like in say vidya, people think that if you slap some number increasing to the game, it magically turns into an RPG.

So, when around people who can't even tell that there could even exist a difference to be made, specify your exact meaning of sci-fy you are using it as or else you just look like an autist having a fit because things are not like your autistic brain wants them to be.

Example:
>Star Wars isn't a scientific sci-fi.
>Well, duh, it is hollywood blockbuster sci/fy, you moron.

Don't blame me for the limitations of the english language.

My language has a word for it "ulme", which means something along the lines of the meaning for the word "reverie".

So, yea, get reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>28275331
>the modern meaning of sci fi has changed. It means anything set in space
>a clip is anything that holds bullets

I'm not even mad, but people who can't tell the difference between sci fi and fantasy are still dumb
>>
>>28273768

> Would you rather own a pleb-tier-tank or a Fucking Mech?

Wow....truely a question for the ages...
>>
File: image.jpg (261 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
261 KB, 1224x1445
>>28274106
Did anyone ask your cringy anime anything?
>>
File: Sigint.jpg (18 KB, 160x225) Image search: [Google]
Sigint.jpg
18 KB, 160x225
>>28273768
If you ask me, it's got to be a joke.

Not only is making a tank walk on two legs a technical nightmare, but there's no point in making a walking tank to begin with.

Putting legs on a tank would raise its clearance, increasing its frontal projection area. It'd also be less stable.

Suppose the legs help the tank travel bad roads... I don't see the logic in that. Isn't that what treads are for?

I mean, anyone who'd seriously consider making a thing like that has got to be a wacko.
>>
File: 2-M_repulsortank.jpg (145 KB, 800x549) Image search: [Google]
2-M_repulsortank.jpg
145 KB, 800x549
>>28275921
Everyone can go home now.

It's in the damn name, guys.

ASSAULT.

TRANSPORT.

You in an assault (read: siege) your opponent is going nowhere and speed is not critical. It's meant to be a moving line of battle that the rest of your forces can flex around.

Imagine the AT-AT is the 18" dragon dildo, the rebel base is your asshole and the infantry are the lube and you'll have a good idea.
>>
File: 1377702701562.jpg (94 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1377702701562.jpg
94 KB, 600x450
FOR THE LAST FUCKING TIME

BLASTERS IN STAR WARS ARE NOT SUBJECT TO GRAVITY IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? NO BLASTER MORTARS. NO BLASTER HOWITZERS. SO HOW DO YOU HIT REBEL SCUM WHILE THEIR HUDDLED IN THEIR ICE TRENCHES AND FROZEN FORTIFICATIONS? YOU MAKE SOMETHING THAT CAN SHOOT DOWN ONTO THEM

>B-but it's still super impractical and expensive and a waste of resources and why not just use air support and-

THE EMPIRE BUILT AN ARTIFICIAL MOON THAT CAN BLOW UP AN ENTIRE PLANET WITH MORE FIREPOWER THAN HALF OF THE REST OF THE IMPERIAL FLEET.

THE EMPIRE GOES CHASING AFTER SMUGGLERS IN TINY FRIEGHTERS WITH STAR DESTROYERS THE SIZE OF LOWER MANHATTAN

THE EMPIRE HAVE MASTERED THE ART OF PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE.

TL:DR FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 999x999) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 999x999
From an engineering stand point wheels and treads are too ideal for almost everything to justify legs.

But what if we did something like pic relate. Hybrid so you tank can sprout legs like a fuckin turtle and climb over shit.
>>
>>28273768

The Empire has so much damn resources they can blow it on having millions of different things, in the case of the AT-AT, It was more than likely built to be giant and intimidating just as much as any other reason that could be given to it.

These are the people that built multiple death stars and other insane super weapons, practicality means jack shit with the resources they have.
>>
>>28275166
But the range of movement of the AT-AT's legs are clearly visible in the Battle of Hoth, when one kicks out a leg to stabilize itself and shoot down a snowspeeder. It does it remarkably quickly, as well.
>>
>>28273768
Because with tech that advanced the AT-AT seemed to only be reliably taken out by a complete asspull via tow cables.

Or a lightsaber cleaving through one of the legs, as demonstrated by Vader at one point.
>>
>>28276207
Also has anyone brought up the fact that the tow cables tieing the legs together is bullshit?

At best the Snowspeeder gets the tow cable ripped off of itself and the AT-AT just keeps going.
>>
>>28273781
Made my day anon
>>
>>28275280
Are you seriously arguing that Star Wars is historical fantasy and not space opera? You are literally retarded.
>>
File: the-animal-1980s-toy-01.jpg (203 KB, 480x364) Image search: [Google]
the-animal-1980s-toy-01.jpg
203 KB, 480x364
>>28276020
But, can anything stop... THE ANIMAL?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W4MYJt8c4w
>>
>>28273941
No joke. When I played the battlefront 3 beta, first one of those I saw made me shit my pants.
>>
>>28276017
Gonna agree with this, a little.

Empire's got 2 things consistent in the Star Wars universe: Rule of cool, and more resources and energy than they know what to do with. Practicality means literally nothing to them the whole series. And after the first death star is destroyed nobody thought "hey maybe we should start thinking about how to approach these rebels in a more practical way" because the empire never needed to use any practical form of thinking before.
>>
>>28277275
Thanks for the nostalgia...the only thing that stopped mine was ice and the lake I made it drive through.
>>
>>28274136
Get on all four legs and turn 180 degrees. You can only move one limb at a time, and slowly. Have fun.
>>
>>28274377
>The physiology of humans is stupid.
>How can they sleep when their head is balanced, precariously on their necks, five feet off the ground?
>Furthermore, there's no way to assume that humans are able to move around since you can't assume their legs aren't made of a single fused bone, unlike their torsos
>And because of the construction of their joints, the stupid things are reduced to walking strictly forward or back
This is only the beginning of how retarded this post is. This fucking retard can't figure out how a giant, walking fortress with knees could possibly lower itself enough to deliver troups en-masse -- walking fortresses that repel insane amounts of rebel firepower (the Hoth sentry guns blasting at them constantly while they slowly lumber forward, without taking a scratch) that have big, nasty teeth.
>>
>>28279726

>Making excuses for Jorge "Order 666" Lucas.
>>
>>28273768
If my unit is stomping Zulu zerg dindus on some third planet shithole in the zegobar system, I'll take the mobile base elevated 50' off the ground. Have fun on your treads.
>>
>>28279685
>There's no such thing as a 4-legged animal that spins circles
Holy fuck, fucking kill yourself, you retarded-ass motherfucker. Do the planet a favor and choke to death on your own shit.
>>
>>28273768
I doubt a tank with threads drive over large steep rocks. That thing can just walk over them.
>>
Cephalization?
Obviously, it's to make it look like a beast. Obviously to trick the savages into thinking it's a monster, cool. Maybe the articulated head is a good way to help aim the weapons too, idk.

But here is where I have the problem with it why put the driver there? It's a separate pod located away from the main troop cavity, why not put the fuel/ammo and shit like that in there and mount that the cockpit more in the chest area?

Damn it, think lucas, THINK!
>>
File: 1449026819366.jpg (8 KB, 325x325) Image search: [Google]
1449026819366.jpg
8 KB, 325x325
>>28279726
>flesh and bone = magic space alloy
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.