[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What milsurp rifle is best for hunting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: hunting.jpg (39 KB, 415x332) Image search: [Google]
hunting.jpg
39 KB, 415x332
Looking to buy one for hunting, which one is best? Looking for ammo availability, price and performance.
>>
PKM
>>
Mosin Nagant.
>>
M1903A3 Springfield. Relatively light, great sights, and easy ammo availability.
>>
>>28256741
seconded..

Or a k31
>>
>>28256763
>>28256741
These two. Great sights, great accuracy, great actions.

The K-31 might be more accurate with better build quality, but .30-06 is easy to come by if you're in the US and a really versatile round. The 1903A3 is almost as good and because of the round gets the nod from me.
>>
>>28256721

>ammo availability, price and performance.

All of those would be better achieved by any cheap modern bolt action plus scope pack. But if you're digging for a milsurp rifle go ahead.
>>
>>28256807
How does the Mauser 98 compare to these? It's always had a place in my heart, would it be viable to get it as a hunting rifle?
>>
File: 135717331843.jpg (373 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
135717331843.jpg
373 KB, 1000x750
>>28256721
Yes.
>>
>>28256938
Yeah I would prefer milsurp, I have a few modern ones already and I would like to see if I can get some older ones.
>>
>>28256954
A little out of my price range, but I would love to hunt with it.
>>
>>28256946
I would think a Vz24 would be a good option, or M48.
Cheap, accurate and light. The Vz is a bit smoother and has a better trigger, but it's not as easily available as the M48. I got my Vz24 for $250 and it's a peach.
>>
>>28257083
Looks good, fun fact, my grandpa probably used the Vz in the Chaco war, I'll have to see if there is any pictures of him with his rifle.
>>
>>28256946
The Mauser 98 is certainly a great rifle. If you're looking for milsurp, there are ton of different variants in different calibers that different countries bought or licensed. The 7.92x57mm hits hard and will be adequate for most north American game barring very large male moose and brown bear.

To be completely honest, the M1903 is somewhat of an American copy of the Mauser 98, but with better sights. It is very very similar.

If you want a Mauser action milsurp chambered in a really common cartridge, look into a Spanish FR-8. They're cool, eccentric, super handy due to their reduced length, and fire the very common 7.62x51 (.308 win).
>>
>>28256741
This or a Mauser is what I would lean towards, as well.
>>
Unless you can only own one gun and just happen to love hunting and milsurp there's tons of hunting rifles on the market that are cheaper and arguably better for your intended use.
>>
File: Vietnam Sniperz.jpg (98 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Vietnam Sniperz.jpg
98 KB, 600x400
Remmington 700 any caliber
>Pic not really but kinda related
>>
>>28257517
Yeah I already have some but I'm looking for a milsurp atm to add to the collection.
>>
>>28256946
When I was a kid we had a sporterized L-E .303 and some 8mm Mauser that I was too young to remember, but from what he says they both worked pretty well. Never had a season without at least one kill but he clearly favored the 8mm as his "Dear Burner". That's about all the anecdote I can offer
>>
>>28257755
Thanks for the info
>>
Any experience with the Brazilian 30-06 rifles? Or the chilean 308 conversions?

The Brazilian appeals to me since the ammo is easier to get that 8mm mauser.
>>
I've killed a durr with an Arisaka 99.
I was poor and it was my only rifle, but it performed admirably.

Ammunition is a bitch to find though...
>>
>>28259307
Pretty dope piece, but I do want easy to find ammo so I probably won't go down that road though.
>>
>>28257433
I've been looking for one of these forever.
I never have the fucking money when I find one, though.
>>
>>28259307
How much does nip food run these days?
>>
>>28259551
45.00$ here in the south for 7.7x58 for type 99 Jap. new ammo too. haven't seen 6.5, type 97 Arisaka for sale, ever.

OP-=Enfield rifle that is in 308 caliber. its actually the 7.62 NATO, Called lithgow or ishapor,
= 1903 Springfield is great but expense, has collectors price.
= Type 99 and 97 jap rifles are cool but ammo is costly
= Mauser is great. 8mm is still ok for price, and some what ez to get. by the way, for the sake of morals, buy a non german WW2 Mauser. some were made by slave work.
=Mosin is good. Ammo cheap, guns cheap for now. can put money in to a good sight or what ever.
= I have Sportized Krag. made in 1894. Roosevelt Rough riders era. 100 years old. Can still hit targets 200 yards away. working on accuracy. put new scope on. Ammo is costly. 40.00$. but worth it.
>>
>>28257546
>remiturd
>milsurp
>>
Get a nice yugo mauser or a k31 imo
>>
>>28256721
hunting what? sks for hogs and deer is pretty hard to beat. also anything in 7.62 nato or mosin nagant for anything up to black bear
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.