[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an m38 with matching numbers that I'm going to keep
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
I have an m38 with matching numbers that I'm going to keep original
How bad of an idea is it to get a 91/30 to make into a hunting rifle?
I would add a leather stock cartridge holder, bent bolt, rubber butt pad, and a jmecks scope mount.
>>
>>28095979
Really at this point you're better off just getting a Ruger American, or maybe an old Rem 700 if you can find a pre-Freedom Group one on Armslist.

Ruger has a pretty sweet combination deal where you can get a rifle with a Redfield scope for stupid cheap, I would look into that before fucking around with a nugget

Buying a nugget and keeping it original is a decent investment though, the price will only go up at this point
>>
File: 1434595666796.jpg (65 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1434595666796.jpg
65 KB, 600x450
why not just buy a ruger american for the same amount that you'd spend bubbaing your mosin?
>>
>>28095979
Pretty bad idea. Not because of any gay >muh history shit but because the price of mosins is already getting past the point of it being a cheap project gun for this kinda shit. Unless you plan on doing the sporterizing by hand for practice or fun, it'd probably be way cheaper to just buy like a ruger American rifle, or a previously sporterized mosin/enfield etc. then waste the time and money doing it with a stock 91/30
>>
>>28095987
>>28095992
>>28095995
>rugerAmericanmind
>>
>>28095995
>Unless you plan on doing the sporterizing by hand for practice or fun
how else would you do it? The only bubbaing I'd really be doing is the bent bolt. The rest is easily reversible. If there's a way to add a usable scope forward enough to not require a bent bolt, I'd prefer that even.
>>
>>28095999
Well I guess OP has the answer now
>>
>>28095987
>>28095992
also, ruger americans aren't particularly cheap in comparison. I can easily pick up a mosin for $150 or less.
>>
>>28096005
So you plan on shaping a stock from a blank? Cutting the checkering out? Removing the original sights and replacing them with better target style sights? Because if you think buying and installing drop in parts is any real practice, you are sadly mistaken. Just get a budget hunting rifle in that case, and save your wallet the grief
>>
>>28096014
You could get 150 dollar mosins in 2010. And at least the ruger American won't have a shit bolt and trigger
>>
>>28096019
what? did you actually read my post, like, at all?
>I would add a leather stock cartridge holder, bent bolt, rubber butt pad, and a jmecks scope mount.
>>
>>28096014
Where is this $150 Mosin?
>>
>>28096027
Oh so you are just going to screw shit onto the stock gun and call it a hunting rifle? Well it's not going to be particularly nice or good but there's nothing wrong with it I guess. Not what I would do though. Just so you know some companies make pre bent mosin bolts you could install after removing some of the wood under the bolt, so you could keep the straight bolt around. You won't really be able to switch it between its "original" re arsenaled state and your half ass sporterizing job without getting a backup stock or Getting one of those scout mounts for the scope and keeping the original bolt in the gun
>>
>>28096041
>>28096024
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4917071/inland-empire-california-rifles-for-sale--mosin-nagant
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4701376/california-rifles-for-sale--mosin-nagant-crate
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4833393/minneapolis-minnesota-rifles-for-sale--mosin-nagant
http://www.armslist.com/posts/4884092/phenix-city-alabama-rifles-for-sale--mosin-nagant
they're not hard to come by if you actually look.
>>
File: 1430057985052.jpg (60 KB, 700x535) Image search: [Google]
1430057985052.jpg
60 KB, 700x535
>>28096014
Yes, I am aware that mosins are relativity cheap, I bought mine as an 80 dollar big 5 special. bent bolt is at least seventy dollars, scope mount scope mount sixty dollars, scope??? a decent scope will run you at least two hundred.
>>
File: 1441265654195.jpg (79 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1441265654195.jpg
79 KB, 640x427
>>28096024
Triggers on the american are fucking awesome
>>
>>28096064
>bent bolt is at least seventy dollars
not if you do it yourself.
is there a ruger american with a decent scope for under like $350?
>>
>>28096075
Do you own an torch? Do you know how to evenly heat and bent metal? You realize after fucking the bolt there is absolutely no reason to keep the mosin in that shitty paddle stock?
>>
Just add a scope with a rear sight mount. No bent bolt needed.

Buy a drop in stock.

You might be able to do it cheaper than buying a ruger and a nice scope.
>>
>>28096092
>Do you own an torch? Do you know how to evenly heat and bent metal?
yes, I'm a certified mig/tig/arc welder. I wouldn't be bending the metal though, because that would result in a short ass bent bolt. I'd be cutting off the bolt handle and adding a longer bent one.
>>28096097
>Just add a scope with a rear sight mount. No bent bolt needed
That would be an even better option, but I would need a scope with a long ass eye relief, right?
>>
>>28095987
>Really at this point you're better off just getting a Ruger American

Yes.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.