[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One helmet had the best price/weight - effectiveness ratio of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: WWI_helmets.jpg (177 KB, 1489x449) Image search: [Google]
WWI_helmets.jpg
177 KB, 1489x449
One helmet had the best price/weight - effectiveness ratio of WWI.
One helmet offered best protection while still being feasible to equip your army with.
One helmet was shit, and useful for little more than serving as a potty.
Discuss.
>>
>>28078881
You can't mount a stirnpanzer to all the otherones
And considering how you'll be sitting in a trench all day, with only your head exposed maybe, kinda makes sense to have the option.
>>
>>28078881
Adrian design is still used by firefighter in the US and most of the world
Stalhelm design is still used by firefighters in Germany
Brodie design is out of use
>>
>>28078945

>Stahlhelm is still used by firefighters in Germany

Add Austrian EMTs to that
>>
>>28078945

This. In spite of the OP's

>>implications

Brodie helmet was the worst, except for ease of mass production.

The Stahlhelm required a production technique that no other country had developed, and was the most advanced.

The Adrian was able to be mass produced via a less advanced technique but was still good.

The Brodie had to be tilted to the side to allow riflemen to fire properly (and this when the superiority of British riflemen and the Enfield was the main advantage of their army), and was designed almost exclusively to protect from shrapnel coming from above, which, while vaguely valid in WWI, has since become far less important, to the point that nothing like it is in use any longer.

Designs similar to the Adrian are still in use, and not just with fire departments; the main difference is that modern production methods allow for a longer extension of the sides and back (as in the Stahlhelm).

But yes the Stahlhelm is the grandaddy of all modern military helmets.
>>
>>28079034
>EMTs needing helmets
For what purpose
>>
>>28079042

When you need to accompany firefighters in a dangerous environment it's worth its weight in gold.

Saved me from an overpressurized shard of a valve drilling into my head once.
>>
>>28079042
extrication mostly

if I'm holding c-spine or taking an assessment on a patient in a car wreck while the fire department is cutting the roof or whatever, I want to be wearing a helmet
>>
>>28079042
aboriginies
>>
>>28081006
I love breaking out the KED
>>
>>28078945
>>28079036

Have you guys ever held an actual Adrian helmet? It is so horrendously thin that you wonder what the point is of even wearing one.

The Brodie and Stalhelm, on the other hand, are exactly what you would expect it to weigh.
>>
>>28079034
Based.
>>
>>28078945
>Stalhelm design is still used by firefighters in Germany
The basic Stahlhelm design is still in use by the US military
>>
>>28081865
The Army version that's current right now looks so fucking gay, I don't know where to begin..and all they did was remove the visor.
>>
>>28081865
Quite a few modern helmets were developed from the Stahlhelm.
>>
File: 1448640551290.jpg (133 KB, 1024x686) Image search: [Google]
1448640551290.jpg
133 KB, 1024x686
Germany was obviously the most complex and best. The British was good for trench warfare, designed to shield from airburst artillery. France was the worst. No shoulder protection from the air and the designs in the center structurally weakened the helmet. The US steel pot was acknowledged for being bad in terms of coverage as well, but everyone else had all the good designs. The US made a Stalhelm early in WW2 but those that were wearing them received friendly fire and the design was ditched.
>>
>>28081983
>US made a Stalhelm
They did, but I'm fairly sure it was either during or just after WWI.

It looked A LOT like the Swiss 1918 helmet.
>>
>>28081897
and change the suspension system to a much better pad system, and increase the protection to 3A.
>>
>>28082050
On top of that made it lighter and allowing for the user to wear a headset earpro/comms
>>
>>28082050
>>28082058
I didn't say they didn't technically make it better, but it looks gay.

I'm aware of function above form, but still.
>>
>>28082019
They stuck with the brodie for the most part. Construction helmets and civil defense helmets were Brodie design.
>>
>>28082019
I think it was near the tail end of ww1
You can see some troops wearing them in this training video. Pretty cool beans.
https://youtu.be/ga4zLsMmkE0?t=6m25s
>>
>>28082682
Neat!
>>
>>28082682
>around 6.30 is were you see the Stalhelm style helmets
>>
>>28081086
He said austria, not Australia
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.