[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/nife thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11
File: Screenshot_2015-12-03-06-46-08.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-03-06-46-08.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
So, it's been officially confirmed that Cold Steel > Chris Reeve all day erry day. We now know for certain that this meme knife is a poorly designed PoS and that the price of a knife is not an indicator of good design or quality. Cold Steel is objectively better than CRK.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Watch the video and see which is better for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c

I can't believe people actually spend $400+ for this garbage
>>
>>28073794
>>28073807

I don't see why you would be surprised. Chris Reeve makes pocket jewelry for people who neither sharpen nor use their knives enough to be bothered by the deliberately under hardened shit blade steel, weak framelocks, mediocre blade geometry, and laughable ergonomics for actually being used as a knife.

They just want to sit there and void their warranty by flicking it open and closed :^)
>>
>>28074031
>void their warranty by flicking it open and closed

It's funny because it's true. A Buck 110 is a better knife any day of the week.
>>
>>28074045

I'm looking forward to the Spyderco Mantra making an utter mockery of that $400 piece is shit. Titanium flipper framelock in 3mm at the spine, FFG CPM-M4 steel with a 3.14" cutting edge in a Delica sized handle thanks to no choil.

HNNNNNGGGGGG
>>
>>28074070
Ohhhhhh shit nigger. Me likey. Me want. Would kick a Sebenza's ass all day every day
>>
File: Push_Cutting_A_Tomato.webm (3 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
Push_Cutting_A_Tomato.webm
3 MB, 720x720
>>28074087

M4 is a really awesome blade steel. I've been carrying the Spyderco Endura in HAP 40 (basically Japanese M4), since I got it and the performance us really impressive.

It is one of the very rare steels that manages to both have high apex stability (resistance to microscopically rolling/chipping in thin cross sections) and wear resistance (long run edge retention).

It's hard to sharpen, but that is irrelevant to me because my stones are all designed to be able to cut High Speed Steels.

See WebM related for how fine an edge HAP 40/M4 will take while being able to shrug off multiple cutting board contacts.

The fact that it can make the 4th and 5th push cuts after some fairly hard cutting board contacts speaks to the apex stability.
>>
>>28074122
What the hell is that supposed to prove? You can literally get a spoon sharp enough to shave with.

That speaks nothing about the knife, but about the sharpening skills of the factory/person.
>>
>>28074122
Oh fuck yes. Want. Is the Hap 40 just a sprint run or reg production?
>>
>>28074133
>B-but anon, I can totally baton a piece of wood! that means the knife is good!
>>
>>28074133

As I said, the key point is that the apex was not damaged enough by the 3-4 fairly hard cutting board contacts to even slow it down from initiating subsequent push cuts with the same part of the apex.

A knife without fairly high apex stability with a very high-grit edge will take enough microscopic damage from those board contacts that the part of the apex contacting the board would struggle to initiate the 4th or 5th push cut.
>>
>>28074229

It is a sprint run. The Endura is already out, Delica will be out in the next couple of weeks.
>>
>>28074482
Man. Wow. I have the Super Blue sprint run, how do you think the two compare, considering the SB is a carbon steel?
>>
>>28074614

HAP 40 offers a lot more wear resistance with a small penalty to apex stability and a large penalty to ease of sharpening.

Since carbide volume is typically positively correlated with wear resistance and inversely related to grain size and apex stability, steels like HAP 40 and M4 are amazing for only having to make a small tradeoff of one for the other, unlike the more typical dichotomy between highly wear resistant steels with crap apex stability (e.g. S110V, S90V, S30V, CTS-XHP, D2) and steels with high apex stability but low wear resistance (e.g. AEB-L, 1095 at high hardness, O1, Japanese white and blue paper steels, etc.).

Also HAP 40 will not be much more difficult in terms of skills, but it will just take a looooong time to sharpen on anything except very aggressive media (diamond plates, loosely bonded oil stones, very muddy aggressive waterstones).
>>
>>28074828
Looks like at $100 USD on Knifecenter, it makes the Sebenza look like the worst kind of garbage: expensive garbage.
>>
>>28074828
Holy fuck. My boner has developed consciousness. I love Spyderco.
>>
File: 2u8yy6s.jpg (351 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
2u8yy6s.jpg
351 KB, 1600x900
>>28073794
I hope my Millie doesn't do that
>>
>>28074470
If the apex of a knife in a properly HT'd steel is damaged by "hard cutting board contact", one of two things has happened:

1. You're cutting on a ceramic or polymer cutting board, in which case you are the problem, OR

2. Something is deeply wrong with your edge to begin with.

A basic push cut onto wood isn't going to do dick to the functional cutting capability of your knife.
>>
>>28078036

You have to take into account that as an apex gets thinner and the grit of the finish increases, it becomes more delicate.

An ~8 degree per side edge bevel at 13,000 grit with a tiny 15 degree per side micro bevel is *extremely* thin. Much thinner than what most people are used to, and so much more demanding on apex stability.

Also note that when I say "damage" I mean blunting, whether by highly microscopic rolling, chipping, or slow wear, not "damage" that would be visible by eye or by low power magnification.
>>
So i want a cold steel folder.im looking at the finn wolf in aus8 and the code 4 in ctsxhp.any thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_0462.jpg (473 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0462.jpg
473 KB, 2448x3264
>>
File: 20NPF_m.jpg (18 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
20NPF_m.jpg
18 KB, 500x333
>>28078857
>>
>>28078857

Do you want if to be easy to sharpen, tough, and good at carving wood? Or do you want it to be harder to sharpen, better with a coarse edge, better at slicing, and have higher edge retention?

If the former, get the Aus8 Scandi grind, if the latter CTS-XHP high hollow ground.
>>
>>
What is a good, under $100, everyday carry knife that isn't a meme or made in China?
>>
>>28079400

Spyderco Endura and Delica are made in Japan and both are below $100 USD.
>>
>>28079400
Fixed or folder?
You can get a good knife for around 100$. But if you're willing to spend maybe 50-70$ extra you can get a much better one.
I reccomend Zero Tolerance and Dpx Knives folders.
>>
>>28079474
>Zero Tolerance
>DPx

He asked for an EDC knife, not an overpriced sharpened pry bar.
>>
>>28073794

never owned a cold steel but a buddy in college let me borrow his for a while. nice knife, stayed sharp, built well. pricey tho.
>>
>>28079531
You don't seem to know much about knives.. What are you doing here? lol
>>
>>28079549
>pricey tho

Just googled the cold steel finn wolf somebody mentioned up there. It's $35 on a reseller and $60 from cold steel themselves.
>>
>>28079584

Giving advice from the perspective of someone who actually uses their knives to cut things regularly, rather than buying titanium framelocks flippers with 5mm thick recurved tanto blades and shallow sabre grinds because they're fun to flick open and closed and fantasize about "hard use.
>>
File: model-1_03[1].png (180 KB, 879x223) Image search: [Google]
model-1_03[1].png
180 KB, 879x223
the one knife i've ever really wanted
>>
>>28079549

I carried a ti-lite for years. Same story.

>stayed as sharp as I kept it
>built like a brick shithouse
>got what i paid for
>>
Where the hell is that vid/gif of him cutting up a fucking pig with a katana? I came to this thread specifically for that.
>>
>>28073794
KABAR
A
B
A
R

literally just get a ka-bar
>>
>>28079623
So what do you recommend?
I use my knives too. I don't understand why you're implying that I'm some retarded cunt who just jerks off to low serial number knives, un used, still in the factory box..while fantasizing about being a merc on a mission. wtf man. I've used my ZT 0700 as EDC knife for over 2 years. Not the most ideal design desu, not the most expensive one either. But it has not failed yet.
>>
>>28079726
Kershaw Skyline for EDC
>>
File: decisions.png (161 KB, 626x601) Image search: [Google]
decisions.png
161 KB, 626x601
Question for y'all

So I've had a Sog Flash II in my back pocket every single day for 8 years, and I've been pretty pleased with it. For various reasons lately I've been thinking of retiring it for something nicer, and although I'm not as into knives as a lot of y'all are I've learned a little from some of these threads

I know benchmades are awesome, I've only handled one but for years I've known they're quality knives for their price

I'm thinking of either a Mini Griptilian or a Sequel. I watched this video comparing the two https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLK1rZL6PAI

And although I like the looks of the Sequel more the dude has a point about the price, my initial budget was around $100.

So I guess I have 2 questions

1) Are there any other knives comparable to the Flash II (spring assist, side button to release lock instead of liner lock, inverted clip) that I should look at for $100 besides Benchmade knives?

2) Do y'all think the Sequel is worth the extra? I really like that pulling on the release starts to deploy the blade, since it's not actually spring assist

I don't care for the looks of any of the Benchmade spring assist knives

I almost started a thread for this but figured I'd start here first
>>
>>28079726

Tantos are terrible for EDC, and the saber grind on that blade would be at home on a felling axe. For EDC you generally want plain edge, non-tanto blade with a full flat grind/full height convex/high hollow grind.

Ideally 3mm or less at the spine.
>>
>>28080839
1) the old gerber (before they were shit) f.a.s.t. line is the only one that comes to mind.
2) just my opinion, the sequel is not worth it. Get the mini grip and you will be buying another knife that will last you 8+ years.
>>
>>28080839
I edc a Benchmade 940 Osborne and it is an outstanding knife, as everyone says. If the deployment of the other Benchmades are the same as mine, you will not be disappointed. However, the $40 Kershaw Volt 2 that I gave to my brother is the most comfortable, smoothest deploying and closing (for being assisted) knife I ever had. It doesn't lock though, but it was NEVER a problem. Tbh, it kicks the shit out of my Flash. I actually hated the Flash when it replaced my Volt, but I grew to get used to it. So, get the Benchmades if you want, but I would strongly suggest you at least try the Volt.
>>
File: 1449198751098194142155.jpg (680 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1449198751098194142155.jpg
680 KB, 2048x1152
>>28081371
Muh Benchmade and disassembled Flash 2.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.