[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm thinking about getting a Mossberg 500, and I have it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
I'm thinking about getting a Mossberg 500, and I have it narrowed down to two:

50411 = 18.5" barrel only

51482 = 18.5" + 28" barrel + chokes, but apparently shitty foregrip

Main use would be home defense & outdoor shooting. I don't know much about shotguns, but I figured the two barrels would do both jobs well.

Which one should I pick?
>>
>>28068527
you want the long barrel if you are going to use it for more than the eternal closet defender
>>
>>28068551

Makes sense to me. I could either buy the first package + an extra barrel + chokes, OR buy the second package + foregrip & action tube. That's the tough choice.
>>
What's a good price for a 500 (new)?
>>
>>28068527
590 special purpose owner here. I fucking love it. Works great for trap and HD, but I have yet to try it hunting. Barrels a little short for hunting but I'd still like to try for shits and giggles.

>>28068551
>I don't like to have fun

>>28068677
They go for the 4-500 range. All new mossys are solid guns.
>>
Can you slam fire it?
>>
>>28068866
>>I don't like to have fun
you can have fun with the long barrels

if you shoot outside like you will the majority of the time you go shooting the extra 10 inches isnt unweildy
>>
OP here - thanks dudes. Looks like I'll go with the dual barrel package and deal with the forend until I get sick of it.

Since I know jack shit about shotguns, feel free to recommend your favorite shotgun loads for:
A. Defending against a meth-crazed home intruder
B. Shooting at refrigerators outside with rednecks
>>
>>28068985
I bought mine a few months ago, the fore end isn't terrible.. It's just a little wobbly.

Apparently the purpose of this is so that it can work even with dirt or grime in the way and won't get clogged.

Mine shoots tighter than my cousin's 870. You can always buy a different fore end/stock if you like black or whatever color. I can't really tell if mine is real wood, at first glance it looks like some kind of composite, but it has grains.. also, when you unscrew the butt pad it looks like wood, there's dust, etc.
>>
>>28069078

That's a pretty good idea with the fore end - I never thought about that. It's not like I'll ever be using it in combat, so I'll probably be OK.

I've been reading about shotgun shells, and it looks like I want 000 buck for home defense and either 00 or slug for outdoor appliance and watermelon destruction. Right?
>>
>>28068884
No.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (40 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
40 KB, 480x360
>>28069078
>Apparently the purpose of this is so that it can work even with dirt or grime in the way and won't get clogged.
I think the term is loose tolerance, or something like that.

>>28068985
It depends on other situations as well.
Are you living in a densely populated environment? Are your walls graham cracker thin? Do you have other people on the immediate other side of those walls?
If no to all that, a 1 oz slug will just bring a fucker down.
But buckshot is usually the go-to recommendation. It doesn't spread as fast and out as birdshot, but you get some spread as opposed to a single slug.

If you do go buckshot, buy several different brands and shoot them out at different distances. Each gun is different and I know each brand is different on their patterning.

For my own mossy500, remington and winchester stuff seem to open up a lot around 20 yards, Hornady loads in the middle, and Federal's Flightcontrol buckshot having the tightest pattern.
OR just get some brenneke slugs and shoot through the druggie and the wall behind him, and the baby in the crib, and the dog next door.
>>
File: 35naliw.jpg (51 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
35naliw.jpg
51 KB, 800x600
here, have some tacticool'd shotgun.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.