[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the closest thing to real power armour?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 36
File: Art_of_Fo4_T-60_power_armor_CA.jpg (303 KB, 866x727) Image search: [Google]
Art_of_Fo4_T-60_power_armor_CA.jpg
303 KB, 866x727
What is the closest thing to real power armour?
>>
Fake power armour
>>
>>28060491
A vibrating dragon dildo up your ass now fuck off back to /v/.
>>>/v/
Sage
>>
>>28060503
No.
>>
>>28060491
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2W23ysgWKI
>>
>>28060491
The TALOs system in use with the U.S. sneaky-shit tier guys.
>>
trash cans
>>
powered armor isn't exactly a bad idea
as long as it isn't like a large mecha from the japanese side of sci fi

a suit that you can wear that provides protection above what a normal soldier can wear and be very mobile while carrying large and heavy weaponry while not being a giant mecha thing

mecha is impractical because its usually top heavy and the legs are the big weakness unless you get into high mobility stuff that flies

a walking tank of sorts
they would be a huge target unless a lot of people had them or had countermeasures to defeat things
the power source would have to last a long time so you don't have to refuel it every 10 minutes
>>
>>28060612
>that
>related to Iron Man in anyway

Its just an exoskeleton which is fucking cool but not fucking Iron Man.
>>
File: hulc1.jpg (123 KB, 663x572) Image search: [Google]
hulc1.jpg
123 KB, 663x572
Lockheed Martin HULC is the best thing that includes it's own power supply. It's just legs, nothing else
>>
>>28060706
There's currently no standalone, man-portable power system that could power such a suit. Remember, Fallout's world had succeeded in miniaturizing nuclear fusion

As for sheer ballistic protection, my vote would go to full cavalier style full body bomb squad suits
>>
File: renault_ft_17_by_ogurki-d48t7zn.jpg (360 KB, 1365x1024) Image search: [Google]
renault_ft_17_by_ogurki-d48t7zn.jpg
360 KB, 1365x1024
i dunno, a very small tanks?
>>
>>28060720
well the point is that it or a better version with a lighter and/or more powerful power source would allow you to wear heavy plates of armour and carry heavy weapons without sacrificing speed or mobility, and even increasing those attributes by attaching shit like, i dunno, directed thrusters.

so yeah, actually it is related to iron man, to anyone with a tiny amount of imagination. more to the point, it is definitely related to OP's question.
>>
>>28060491
You know you have to be 18+ to post on 4chan, right?
>>
File: carden loyd.jpg (106 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
carden loyd.jpg
106 KB, 800x582
>>28060789

this, pretty much
>>
>>28060807
Ya but why would the military ever use that tho? It would just make a solider a bigger target and no matter how well protected he is something will get through eventually. That or Jihad Jonny could shoot tin man with a rocket and call it quits.

Might as well just invest in robots that do the same shit as a real life "iron man suit".
>>
>>28060491
TALOS can be equipped with the full armor complement while letting a guy carry around a 240. It is not a stretch for them to already have tested out what happens when they drop that heavy pig of a weapon and use that extra carrying capacity for armor instead.

60% Level 4 / ESAPI coverage at the moment if I remember correctly, though unsure if that was chest or whole-body coverage. It could easily be modified to have near total Level 4 coverage or step up the plate thickness or materials used to achieve a theoretical Level 5 for the chest.

It is funny how people keep asking if we're there yet when we're definitively already there, just a little fresh off the boat and still getting our bearings.
>>
>>28060821
>That or Jihad Jonny could shoot tin man with a rocket and call it quits.

So you're essentially forcing the enemy to fight infantry with AT weaponry. Obviously that puts an already poorly trained opponent at an even greater disadvantage.
>>
>>28060720
The mass media are always behind the times and only ever makes pop-culture references to movies and TV even though video games are the most popular medium, more news at 11.
>>
>>28060872
I remember in one of the previous threads about this, Jihadi Anon suggested that insurgents would just put an impact-triggered explosive in a football and kick it towards some unsuspecting armored troopers. Needless to say many other anons had a laff.
>>
>>28060856
Earlier today I was actually designing a plate for the front of the body, with it weighing about 12-14 pounds in comparison to the AR 500 plates that are 8 pounds. My design covered the front of the body with a small bend in the front similar to the keel of a boat, an outwards triangle shape just below the jaw for the helmet to fit and still move. That, combined with a back plate and a full face, riot style bullet proof helmet, mounted on a exoskeleton chassis might do well. Combine that with shoulder pauldrons, and limb protection in the form of heavy kevlar coverings with light resin fiber glass plates from the home made designs and you've got yourself an armored unit under 50 pounds.
>>
>>28060872
AT weaponry is a bit generalizing. I imagine some form of IED would work also. Plus ISIS has stolen shit from the Iraqis which I imagine should include grenades and grenade launchers.

Also this >>28060882
>>
>>28060882
But the point is that their weapons are no linger effective against the armament we've put our troops in, forcing them to use explosives. Besides, We roll in with a convoy that's already explosive resistant, Drop our ACP full of troops near a compound and watch the insurgency fight in close quarters against armored soldiers. Unless they're idiots, they aren't going to use explosives in close quarters. And if they do, as their weapons don't work against our new armored ground units, they'll blow themselves up in the process. You've got to remember; Even to our military, soldiers are expendable.
>>
>>28060886
AR500? I know that one inch of AR550 will stop up to .50 BMG AP at relatively close range. As chassis designs and portable power sources improve, that would be the ideal Level 6 protection for the (frontal) chest and head on "mediumweight" or workhorse powered armor designs. I'm sure that using more expensive materials and multi-layered composites rather than a simple block steel will lighten the weight considerably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjVrcr3VXjk

>>28060905
Soldiers do more work when they are not dead. Soldiers can also do more work when they have more freedom in the maneuvers that they have access to; heavy armor protection means that what would have been a suicidal flanking advance in the past would become a highly advantageous push for power armored soldiers. That means less time spent waiting for support and less time for the enemy to bring their support into position, having your infantry go and kill the enemy faster and earlier with less casualties over time.

Actually, reading through your post I'm not sure if you're for or against PA, because the final conclusion does not match up with the points brought up.

>>28060892
Anon, the laugh wasn't directed at the people wearing armor...
>>
>>28060936
My mistake I thought you meant real football where you throw the ball when on impact would explode.
>>
>>28060944
The point is that kicking the ball would have caused the ball to explode. And I assume that he meant a *soccer* ball, because the topic of that old discussion was about ways that insurgents could hide their weapons as completely innocuous objects before ambushing their targets.
>>
>>28060936
Both your responses were to my comments, beyond the football joke. Anyways, lets start with this; The company Ekso Bionics already has an exoskeletal design that can hold up to two hundred pounds. If we fit that, which is just a chest and leg mounting, With the AR 500, or even AR 550 armor, the 500 rated and tested to stop 7.62 and even .308, on the chest, both front and back in an angled design much like knights plate (Much like the rear of a boats keel) and fit the arms and legs with lighter material such as heavy kevlar sleeves, or even an apron, this could be possible. If its not to weighted, a gel layer might even fit in the chest, protecting the wearer from external concussive forces.
>>
>>28060767
What good is it if it's just legs? Can he carry more shit? Can he run faster?
>>
File: mfc-fortis-photo02-h.jpg (1 MB, 1520x2972) Image search: [Google]
mfc-fortis-photo02-h.jpg
1 MB, 1520x2972
>>28060491

The closest thing to real "power armor" that might actually become a commercial or defense product is neither powered nor armor.
>>
>>28061046
>What good is it if it's just legs?
Literal autism.
>>
>>28060491
isn't whats currently being developed fairly close to the power armor frame shown in fallout 4?
the bullshit super compact fusion power source aside of course.
>>
>>28061069
>isn't whats currently being developed fairly close to the power armor frame shown in fallout 4?

No. There are no motive components or control circuitry in existence with the durability, power output, response times, energy requirements, or ballistic protection needed to justify exoskeletons beyond wearable crutches to stop troops from being discharged for blown out knees and other weight related leg injuries.
>>
>>28060491
Power armor is useless without mobility, and they're only useful in close quarters where the main threats are gunfire and fragmentation

Basically if your power armored squad can't clear a building in half the time regular infantry can then you're wasting time and resources.

Deploying PA troops against AFVs is also foolish as you're still exposing your multi billion dollar equipment to ordnance that can kill their pilots through their suits
>>
>>28061168
Its called POWERED armor. The whole point of it is to have someone have the same mobility while be able to have really strong armor to block most small arms fire. Presumably it will easily survive unless its a direct or near direct hit. The fallout power armor now works in a reasonable way (exoskeleton, before it was pure magic) that is realistic bar the power source.
>>
>>28060882

>impact explosive football
>kick towards power troopers

You'd want to make sure the fuse was good :^)
>>
>>28060767
that looks so insanely uncomfortable.
>>
>>28060782
>>28060936

The two big requirements for a power unit designed to energies a powered exoskeleton is:

- Energy density and
- Power density

The energy density being how long the power can be provided for and the Power density is how much energy can be given at any one moment.

Now current batteries easily have enough Power density but they are lacking something fierce in the Energy density area, everybody knows this.

However until recently, there has been a technology that had the energy density in spades but a very low power density. That is Atomic (nuclear decay) batteries.

The low power density is due to the low efficiencies that they work at (2 - 8%)
But recently new types of Atomic batteries have been developed with efficiencies of 53% with the possibility of even better levels. This gives atomic batteries an order of a magnitude higher Power density. enough to easily power a exoskeleton continuously for some odd 30 years.

Now granted its probably never going to be used in this fashion due to the word Nuclear and what not but the radionucleotides used are rather safe and only become a problem when released into the body, kind of like how most toxins inside chemical batteries would reck one day.

http://www.ganino.com/this_nuclear_battery_could_power_your_smartphone_forever
>>
>respond to terrorist threat
>cant do shit because they are on the third floor and power armour just destroys stairs by stepping on them
>finally get up there
>get super cancer and die because someone shot the unarmoured nuclear power core that has so much energy inside it that it can power a building for 200 years
same for just about any scenario
>sink into literally any mud you come across
>shockwaves could cause leaks in you core
>any kind of injury is untreatable unless you stand up and have someone else help you out
>if the power armour gets really fucked up by a land mine you are literally fused to the armour and die horribly
power armour is dumb as fuck in fallout
>>
>>28061287
>fused to armor
Its attached to an exoskeleton that completely opens up, so you walk into and out of it. Its not like a shirt.
>>
>>28061194
it seems sort of risky to send someone into combat with a fission pile strapped to his back
>>
>>28061308
Please do not use the term fission pile

In most circles that represents a full blown nuclear reactor...

The Nuclear battery references in the post you responded to does not contain any fissionable material.

Its not a nuclear reactor...
>>
Probably the Raythean XOS 2, it just needs armor plates and a mobile power source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTlsLGyIblM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UpxsrlLbpU
>>
>>28060782

Bomb suits won't stop 7.62. They're made for blast overpressure and secondary frag, not ballistic protection.
>>
>>28060706
I hold the belief that mecha are not necessarily a bad idea, but will probably be limited to cargo loader-esque duties until someone goes full killdozer in one. Anyone agree?
>>
gundam
>>
File: 1447130809067.png (346 KB, 599x593) Image search: [Google]
1447130809067.png
346 KB, 599x593
>>28061046
>What good is it if it's just legs?
>>
>>28061429
>I hold the belief

who gives a shit, opinion discarded
>>
File: revision power armor.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
revision power armor.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>28060491
Supposedly the armor is scalable and they can cover up to 60% of the soldier with XSAPI plates.
>>
>>28061701
>Hey guis check out my armor midrif
And then he gets shot in the gut and bleeds out.
>>
>>28061737
You are retarded
>>
STOP SHILLING YOUR SHITTY GAME AND FUCK OFF TODD HOWARD
>>
Angel Dust
>>
>>28061785
He does have a lot of Armour on his shins that would be better placed over the groin and midsection.
>>
Why would we even use Tanks in this day and Age, the enemy would just launch an airplane and take out all the tanks. Please stop making stupid tank threads.
>>
>>28060503
>Sage
You did it wrong fag you put it in the options
>>
>>28061296
Theirs some BOS knights in the game hit by some energy or morter round that fused their Armour and killed them all.
>>
>>28061994
Nah, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. They scuddled their suits so that whoever they were fighting couldn't use em.
>>
File: image.jpg (258 KB, 1024x1025) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258 KB, 1024x1025
>>28061046
>>
>>28061994

Nah, thats the scuttling method. Renders the suit unusable if captured.
>>
File: read a book.jpg (65 KB, 566x480) Image search: [Google]
read a book.jpg
65 KB, 566x480
>>28061737
>>28061828
>the armor is scalable and they can cover up to 60% of the soldier with XSAPI plates.
>>
>>28062020
>bitch bitch bitch
>>
>>28060706
Simple solution: power armor with a small drone on treads the follows behind you with a gas generator and a cable going into your back.
>>
File: troy-new-suit.gif (30 KB, 200x268) Image search: [Google]
troy-new-suit.gif
30 KB, 200x268
>>28060491
Power armor will not be used by armies any time soon. That doesnt stop the private sector which is where it will really come from. Its only a matter of time till somebody goes powered bear suit. If one crazy Canadian can do this wait for a group of underemployed engineers gets working on it for the love of powerarmor and not just profit.
>>
File: 17gasshoes.xlarge1.jpg (50 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
17gasshoes.xlarge1.jpg
50 KB, 600x350
>>28062141
Mobility can be increased with some diesel powered jump boots. Throw some of those Japanese elderly exoframe servos, a back pack turbine geny and a passive cooling vest. GTG.
>>
The biggest obstacle power armor doesn't address is how to navigate through mud and unstable ground?
>>
>>28060936
Hell- I've seen a 5/8ths inch plate of it stop a .338 ball at point blank. Sure if it had been worn the user would have been severely injured due to deformation of the plate into his center chest, but it didn't penetrate.
>>
>>28061177
>The whole point of it is to have someone have the same mobility while be able to have really strong armor to block most small arms fire

No. No, no, no. The 'man amplifier' is retro, it's a cool vidya theme and makes for ebin maymays, but blocking small arms is not it's job in conventional war.

The point of exoskeletons is carrying more stuff without getting as tired. That's what wins - troops that aren't worn out, and who can carry lots more guided weapons to defeat tanks with APS, crack uparmored trucks, or simply move through woods with a backpack without risking a broken ankle.

More hard armor is cool, and it helps in COIN DA, but it's not the point and it never has been.
>>
>>28062175
Bellbottom pants, airflow from generator turbine directed through pants into hovercraft skirts around each boot. Ground pressure wut, my suits walk on water.
>>
>>28062211
Reminds me of the STALKER version of the exoskeleton, honestly. I mean if you could have more armour plating as people have said, but that's not gonna help much if the enemy has some high caliber weapons. Probably better to have a soldier that's capable of carrying a shitload of supplies and ammo.

Less of a force multiplier and more of a logistics amplifier, right?
>>
File: troy-bear.gif (60 KB, 275x222) Image search: [Google]
troy-bear.gif
60 KB, 275x222
>>28060491
>>
>>28060856
I wasn't aware we were ready to talk about TALOS in the present tense.
>>
>>28062667
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcqHaPhkkM

Here's Revision's entry.
>>
>>28062306
The major protection factor in the bear suit was the inner air bag. A self replenishing crumple zone between the articulated plates and the occupant.
Use something pic related like riding on a form fitting frame with small disk breaks to slow and lock off limb movement. Use the bounce of the muscles dynamically riding the suit instead of opening valves statically making the suit follow and anticipate. Open valves and deflate for crouching and inflate them to get up, lift a load, or preload before releasing the breaks for burst strength. Bounce around letting the air bags take the weight only putting effort on the rebound, locking off the limbs with the breaks to be released later like a spring.
>>
>>28060789
I'd love to see what a M2 Browning would do to one of those Renault ft 17s.
>>
>>28062175
>The biggest obstacle power armor doesn't address is how to navigate through mud and unstable ground?
Are we really going through this silly mud thing again? For fucks sake.
>>
>>28063431
Especially with a belt of SLAP-T
>>
>>28060905
>be baka lama and two friends
>fire out of a building g
>12 man super soldier power armor squad enters
>building was wired with shit ton of explosives
>3 terrorists dead
>list two aks a pkm and some RPGs and grenades along with the wired explosives
>US loses 12 million dollarsuits
>win for insurgency
>>
>>28062275
>but that's not gonna help much if the enemy has some high caliber weapons.
Rendering the standard primary arms of virtually all countries completely useless is considered "not helping much"?
>>
>>28062667
TALOS is ALREADY MADE

The suit is not theoretical, it has been tested by some high-level operators and they allegedly have reported that TALOS does not interfere or impede their ability to complete their training exercises; aka IT'S FUCKING WORKING, LIKE RIGHT NOW.
>>
File: 1381434324656.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1381434324656.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>28062222
>>
>>28063586
>building was important building to insurgency
Well shit, what now?
>>
>>28062821
Nice music but I'm gonna need a little more than tokusatsu to go off of here.

>>28063629
That sounds promising, I guess, but it still sounds like they strapped nonworking prototypes onto people and made them run a course to check if the joints were all in the right places.
>>
File: sage.png (2 KB, 250x234) Image search: [Google]
sage.png
2 KB, 250x234
>>28061980
Sage goes in every field, faggot
>>
>>28060821
RPG ammunition weighs more (including ammunition, you have to reload after every shot, has become useless against main battle tanks and it leaves behind a smoke trail that gives away your exact location, that's why every soldier isn't given one.
>>
>>28063774
But eef da militaree werr to uze da powah armah, da towalheds wud juz all switdch to Karl Goostafs overnight! Totaly USELES armah!
>>
File: image.jpg (487 KB, 840x3888) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
487 KB, 840x3888
>>28062222
>quads confirmed
>fuck you physics.
>>
>>28060892
saw a video of some chechens in syria in CQB with a milkor the other day. Wonder where that came from
>>
>>28063586
> be in an AO where buildings laced with IEDs are common
>tell fags to come out or a JDAM is coming

It's been SOP since, like, 2011-2012.
>>
>>28063774
>has become useless main battle tanks

Its like you haven't seen any footage of the war against ISIS.
>>
>>28063707
It's a powered lower-body system with a load-bearing spine linked to the chest carapace and helmet. Uses either Li-ion or aluminium-air batteries, lasts about 8 hours per battery but you can turn the power on/off at will.

Has 60% hard armor coverage; the spine keeps rifle hits to the head from snapping your neck.
>>
go watch redneck rocket scientists! they litterally built the exact thing your looking for!
>>
>>28063944
holy fuck
So i just finished everything at MEPS, how do I get into testing for that?
>>
>>28060503
This, enough with these autistic Fallout/power armor threads pls.
>>
>>28063629
Sauce on that? I've been trying to follow the development but it seems pretty hush hush.
>>
>>28063944
>Uses either Li-ion or aluminium-air batteries
Last I checked they were experimenting with small turbine generators that were so quiet you couldn't hear them unless you were in the same room and fuel cells that used JP8 as a more expensive silent alternative, both would last over 24 hours if I remember correctly.
>>
>>28061046
>Can he carry more shit?
Yes, a lot more shit
>>
How long till the suits incorporate the back half of big dog into a centaur suit letting one grunt haul a half dozen rucks at once.
If you had a horse ass you could put two packs on each side, 5-6 ammo cans down the spine, and a couple of packs on top.
>>
>>28067625
Never. It was just a proof of concept prototype. The military has no intention of ever using big dog or anything like.
>>
>>28067735
Spot is the new version. It's more agile, smaller, and electrically powered, it recently finished testing with the Marines.
>>
>>28060491
TALOS? we got Ghost Recon-style stealth armor now, but no power armor
>>
>>28060905

Can't they just use air fuel bombs to produce a concussive force to kill or deafen and disable the guy in the suit? Or a molotave and just burn him out? I feel a more vehicular thing like a tank is better.
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 600x399
>>28067956
Not in the field.
They have made full body rigs that run on shore power connections, but they haven't rigged them for independent operations.

I suspect the military is at the point of knowing it's a useful idea but still not being sure what to do with it.
>>
>>28061308
Nuclear batteries don't use fission. They absorb beta radiation from decaying nuclear material like how solar panels absorb solar radiation.
>>
File: Fallout 4 power armor.jpg (181 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Fallout 4 power armor.jpg
181 KB, 1366x768
>>28060491
>dat intro scene

Will we ever get a game set in the Resource Wars, or the US-China war? (Operation Anchorage doesn't count because it was a half-ass DLC and not a game)
>>
>>28069163
This.
I feel like it would play something like Reach, the whole you know the ending situation.
>>
>>28069163

...Has anyone realized that's John Connor from Terminator 3?
>>
File: SirCardboard.jpg (40 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
SirCardboard.jpg
40 KB, 500x672
>>28060491
Probably pic related.
>>
File: Talos Artwork.jpg (195 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Talos Artwork.jpg
195 KB, 1920x1080
>>28060856
Praise be unto Talos!
>>
File: 4b7.jpg (14 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
4b7.jpg
14 KB, 500x333
>>28060905
>Unless they're idiots, they aren't going to use explosives in close quarters.
>>
>>28060905
then war changes again
>>
>>28068007
Oh they sure as hell know what to do with it; tougher infantry is not such a complicated concept to wrap one's head around. The problem is how to adjust doctrine to fit the new product. A lot of current infantry doctrines (particularly the US) play very safe with their troops, sometimes overly so to the point of compromising effectiveness, because of how squishy each person is. Armor that could shrug off intermediate and full-power rifle rounds would require a very different and more aggressive approach to make the most out of them, but how will that reconcile with the other existing conventional assets and personnel and how should they now maneuver in support of these armored troopers? It will be a bit of a shakeup in organization once the technology is mature, I'm sure.
>>
To sum the anti-PA arguments:
>Too expensive
>Can't power
>What are tanks
>Mud
>Hurr durr muh AP rounds
To counter:
>Too expensive
Make good PA, make less tanks to fund it. Don't need a batallion of abrams when we got a bunch of dudes in bigass armour
>Can't power
Well we are really close to solving this. In the meantime developing a low tech exoskeleton is important. Tanks weren't perfected overnight
>What are tanks
See above.
>Why do we need tanks? Thry'll just get stuck in mud, or blown up, or the pilots inside will be killed by X.
-You
>Mud
Regular soldiers struggle with mud as well. Power armour lets em lift their legs with more force and tire less quickly.
>Hurr durr muh AP rounds
>Why give our foot soldiers body armor? An explosive will just take them out anyway
With high mobility and eventual reduced costs, PA will beat out tanks in every way, especially when one man mortar teams become common with PA suits.
>>
File: jcdenton.jpg (16 KB, 603x393) Image search: [Google]
jcdenton.jpg
16 KB, 603x393
>>28060905
>Unless they're idiots, they aren't going to use explosives in close quarters
>>
an easy way to power these things is to have on outboard generator, mount it on a humvee or something that also acts as transport for the suit when not in combat and have miles of power cabling attached in between.
>we Evangelion naow
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Ballistics_Suit_of_Armor

I like how Wikpedia describes this suit completely straight.
>>
>>28062306
To bad he lost his mind and all his money with the Spartan Armour.
>>
File: tumblr_nskrhgwdf81sei8oao2_400.jpg (148 KB, 320x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nskrhgwdf81sei8oao2_400.jpg
148 KB, 320x500
???
>>
File: 1442979661543.png (125 KB, 386x318) Image search: [Google]
1442979661543.png
125 KB, 386x318
if power armor actually existed, wouldn't the power core give you like all-over cancer, if it was nuclear, like in fallout 4?
>>
>>28073577
no?
>>
>>28073289
>The Trojan Ballistics Suit of Armor's main weapons are dual pistols on magnetic holsters. There is a sheath on the wrist that contains a knife for close-quarter combat. The suit also contains a Pepper spray capsule for emergency situations. Troy stated that this could be used to incapacitate 40 insurgents.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>28073577
>Fusion power
>>
>>28060706

Power armor is a bad idea.

The loss of mobility, the likelihood of malfunction, the voltages involved being lethal, the economics of carrying a power unit and recharging it.

Also it would wear the person in the suit out, the fatigue would be dangerous. It might have some use in a swat team style unit, maybe.
>>
>>28073980

This is what i always thought. It seems like power armor could be crazy useful in those situations where you have to clear a hostile building, as a massive walking shield to the rest of the guys.

but outside of that one specific use, it wont be useful until its crazy fucking advanced.
>>
>>28073980
There was the Ncr combat armor which was used for riots and the like and It was powered If I remember correctly
>>
>>28073980
/k/ thinks everything is a bad idea anymore. Especially if it involves legs of any size.
>>
>>28073458
Thats what it say in the wiki right. Must be true. Wasnt sequestered and ratholed for the angel light at all.
>>
>>28060491
There is 3d printer models available already if you want to make one.
>>
>>28074075
This is the problem with /k/, they have become the same people who said airplanes wouldn't be worth shit in a war.
>>
>>28075873
I actually think its completely possible.
>>
>>28073980
If anything, powered armor would increase mobility rather than decreasing it. Infantry are already burdened by nearly a hundred pounds of gear, anything to relieve the strain is desperately needed.
>>
>>28073999
What about giving every man a rocket launcher?
>>
>>28076688
General to Corpral Schmuckatelli
>Oh, you get power armor
>That means you can pack another 500lbs of gear
>here's 1/8 of my personal vehicle
>make sure you get to iraq on time
>cant have a staff vehicle w/o these parts
>>
>>28076723
On the other hand, that means another MANPAD and enough water for a week.
>>
>>28075915
Well, the laser rifle might be asking too much. Lasers have all sorts of practical issues. Not the least of which is that if a laser is powerful enough to kill it's also powerful enough to explode if the lens is dirty.
>>
>>28061194
That's awesome as fuck

maybe one day we can mount little fusion reactors inside of these suits, if Helion actually pull off shipping container sized fusion then who knows what's possible?
>>
>>28061194
What would you say is the minimum energy density for practical power armor?

And have you heard of microturbines?
>>
File: image.gif (878 KB, 400x408) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
878 KB, 400x408
>>28060782
>bomb suits
Stupid for a number of reasons.
>power source
Methanol fuel cells, propane/JP-8 power packs, hell even batteries can do the job on lighter exoskeletons.
>>28060767
HULC is hands down the best exoskeleton in the world right now, as far as infantry use is concerned. 72 hours of power on direct methanol fuel cell, 200lbs of load bearing, 10mph bursts.

Exoskeletons will only get better once nylon artificial muscles are ruggedized and actually implemented.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a3088/synthetic-muscle-made-of-fishing-line-is-100-times-stronger-than-the-real-thing-16514805/

Pic related is one coil about as wide as 10 human hairs, lifting a 16lb weight.
>>
File: IMG_1534.jpg (504 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1534.jpg
504 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: IMG_1535.jpg (519 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1535.jpg
519 KB, 1920x1080
>>28077227
>>
File: 10065283.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
10065283.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>28077178
>>
ITT: The reason /k/ has been decreasing in quality
>>
File: IMG_1536.jpg (450 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1536.jpg
450 KB, 1920x1080
>>28077227
Merry christmas fags
>>
>>28077246
I see they expanded the crotch region by atleast 18 percent.
>>
>>28077290
Yeah. What I don't get is its supposed to use a nuclear fusion core, pretty sure i could get it to work with some servos, wiring, and a 6v lawnmower battery.
>>
You realize the idea your getting this from is a 20 year old game retconned to hell and back and the armor of which you fawn over is powered by a battery performing cold fusion and this who alternate reality is powered by fusion on a very small scale something we currently have no clue at all how to even start doing.
You might as well be spitballing on how to cast spells from TES
these threads are so retarded
>>
File: ANTS.png (68 KB, 757x856) Image search: [Google]
ANTS.png
68 KB, 757x856
>>28069425
Good for him
>>
>>28060706
4 u
>>
>>28077315
Naysayers.
>>
>>28077315
*whole alternate reality
also like to add literally everything in fallout that isnt ballostics is powered by FUSION. not even fission, but fusion.
This concept does not have badis in reality. Neither do "lazor and plzma" weapons. How are you going to maintain any of that bullshiy in wartime? In a hostile environment? The second your logstics has a hiccup everything would basically fall apart.
>>
I think the marines from starcraft 2 have the best and most realistic power armor, I hope it was based off the original star troopers because the idea's were solid.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>28077252
>extreme fighting power
>>
>>28060814
That guy driving.

>What is this bullshit? This armor couldn't protect against a wet fart. I wish I was a real tanker.
>>
File: IMG_1541.jpg (286 KB, 766x996) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1541.jpg
286 KB, 766x996
>>28077369
Ill take my Enclave hellfire armor over that.
>Pic BOS with Minigun
>>
>>28063431
>>28063518
It'd be swiss cheese.
The FT was designed to stop WWI AP rifle ammo and shrapnel.
>>
>>28069163
I still think this shit's gonna be a dlc for 4, bet ya 5 bucks.
>>
>>28076957
It's all electronic so a safety for that situation would be beyond easy, have some sort of sensor to detect if the lense had anything on it, if it does, trigger pull does literally nothing until you fix it.
>>
>>28077477
I want to know why the Hellfire armor was completely absent from 4...

>>28077620
>innawasteland fightin da greenskins
>super mutant surprises me popping around a corner
>FUCKSHITPISSBALLS.jpg
>go to shoot him with my laser rifle, hear the most horrifying thing ever
>DEBRIS ON LENS: CLEANING REQUIRED BEFORE DEVICE WITH RESUME FUNCTION
>get ass kicked by mutant until squadmates realize I might need help
And that was my worst day ever! Fucker broke the hell out of the armor. Fucking shitty laser rifles, I want my chinkshit rifle back...
>>
>>28077694
Im praying enclave is a dlc.
>>
>>28077694
>Chinkshit rifle
>Clearing ruins of filthy ghouls
>Turn corner to see 3 runing at you
>BAM BAM BAM CLICK
>Cheap stamped chinkshit jams up
>frantically fiddling with bolt trying to get the round out
>Get arm torn off by glowing one
And that's why i'm here doc. You think you can put it back on?
>>
>>28077718
>ghouls
>threat to a guy in a full set of T-60 Power armor
wut
>>
>spray and pray is best gun
>>
I vote for something like this.
>>
>>28077741
>What are withered ghouls
>>
>>28077369
>Starcraft
>Starship Troopers
Sorry to burst you bubble but everything in the game was literally based on 2nd Edition Warhammer 40k.

The lead designer was a former GW employee.

So let that potential "realsim" set in.
>>
>>28077858
sounds about right with how it's been going since hots.

oh well, I still like the design >>28077789
>>
>>28077823
>emaciated ghouls
>threat to a guy in a full set of T-60 power armor
wut... again

The only risk is glowing ones due to their ability to shit out fuckloads of rads, assuming the suit wouldn't block much of that in a universe where radiation exposure is pretty much expected in war even before the bombs fell.

Go load up on a bunch of PCP and try to kill a Humvee or something like that with your bare hands, probably won't go well.

Super mutants would actually be a threat.
>>
>>28077916
I can kill a humvee.
with my bare hands.
im a seabee.
>>
File: 82g.jpg (100 KB, 1600x583) Image search: [Google]
82g.jpg
100 KB, 1600x583
>>28060495
/thread
>>
>>28062114
This could work for some things...
>>
>>28077940
Not when out of your gourd on pcp lol.
>>
>>28077252
>20lb Lind
>lifts 16 pounds
>Put ten together
>lifts 160 pounds, breaks at 200

Seems fine to be me.
Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.