[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people favor 1 to 8 power scopes and the like when a flip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 2048x1188) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 2048x1188
Why do people favor 1 to 8 power scopes and the like when a flip to side magnifier paired with a red dot seems faster and easier to use? What are the pros and cons of using a magnifier + red dot or holo sight vs. a scope? I'm currently deciding which route I should take for my AR.
>>
>>28058279
Because flip magnifiers suck balls.
>>
>>28058303
this

One more thing to fall off. One more thing to hit against doorframe. One more thing to hand receipt for. Only 3x mag which doesn't help too much with target ID
>>
>>28058333
There are some 5x magnifiers which was really primarily what I was looking at, but I think I also saw an 8x flip to side somewhere.
>>
>>28058279
>Dot winds up being more than 10 inches apart at 500 yards if you use a 2 MOA dot compared to a crosshair center dot on a 1-6x being 2.5 inches at 500 yards
>light transmission is shit and thus the image gets dim as all hell due to dust on mag eyepiece, mag objective, RDS eyepiece, and RDS objective stacking compared to a 1-6x scope
>SOF in Afghanistan and major 3-gun shooters don't use them anymore

They're utter shit.
>>
>>28058627
This, it's an attempt to get the best of both worlds turned into a compromise, which honestly isn't all that surprising.

Plus overall I believe they'd be heavier than one dedicated piece all things and mounts considered.
>>
>>28058627
>>28058662
>>28058333
Alright, well then can you /k/ommandos recommend any nice mid quality scopes for an ar15?
>>
>magnifies the dot
>only 3x magnification
>big-league offerings are hilariously overpriced considering what they do
>>
>>28059520
How much money do you want to spend?
>>
>>28058627
>>28059546
Eotech dot doesn't get bigger when magnified
>>
>>28058279
I have a EOTech & G23 magnifier, its obnoxiously heavy. I'd rather have a March 1-20x24 but dont have an extra $2300 to drop.
>>
File: Tact 1-10.jpg (35 KB, 650x336) Image search: [Google]
Tact 1-10.jpg
35 KB, 650x336
>>28060203
>1-20x24
1-10x24
>>
>>28058662
Variable scopes on a qd mount weigh more actually. Look at the weight of a vortex pst plus your choice of a qd mount vs eotech exps3 and g33. The eotech combo will weigh a few ounces less. If you for go for the xps3 you will also cut the weight down even more.

Eotech combo will have less parallax at close range than a variable scope, while variable scope will have more magnification. If you want to emphasize cqb or close range/less parallax get the eotech combo. If you want more emphasis on longer ranges or more magnification get a variable scope.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.