[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5-Round Firing Mechanism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: DeerHunter.jpg (274 KB, 640x388) Image search: [Google]
DeerHunter.jpg
274 KB, 640x388
Need info regarding firing mechanism of 5-round revolver.

Background:
In 1945, a 17-year old stole his uncle's gun [specific make unknown] and went to a diner with his 13-year old friend. He loaded one cartridge into the chamber adjacent to the firing chamber of a five round revolver. While sitting at the counter he pressed the gun against his younger friend's side and asked if he wanted to play "Russian Poker." [Direct Quote] Little Buddy agrees, and the defendant pulled the trigger three times. On the third pull the gun fired. Little buddy died from his injuries two days later. Malone, the kid with the gun, argued that he did not expect the gun to fire on the third pull since loaded the last chamber.

This is a Pennsylvania case known as Commonwealth v. Malone (1946).

My question is whether the firing mechanism on a 5-round revolver is made for it to skip a chamber in between? As in, if you numbered the chambers 1 2 3 4 5, would the actual firing order be 1 3 5 2 4?

I know that it is possible that Malone made a mistake and loaded it in the chamber second to the one lined up by the firing chamber, and that's why it fired on three. But, if he had not made a mistake and the firing sequence on the revolver was 1 2 3 4 5, then the fourth pull should have fired the shot instead of the third.

Any insight will be appreciated.
>>
>>28057340
This is the worst case brief I've ever read, Anon.
>>
>>28057408
Haha . . . yeah. I was just giving the relevant facts to explain why the question came up. But, I am genuinely curious and this doesn't have anything to do with class.
>>
>>28057340
Gun worked fine
Obviously idiot cannot count
>>
Guy probably just wanted to kill the kid.
>>
>>28057462
It's likely. But I'd look to know whether the firing pattern I asked about is a possibility.
>>
File: 2015-12-01-21-38-58-1517501024.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-01-21-38-58-1517501024.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>28057340
That or he could have miscounted the trigger pulls. I think the gun you're talking about could be any number of cheap revolvers made during the first half of 20th century. Ivar Jonsen comes to mind as does H&R and Smith and Wesson, none of these skip chambers, but the break action ones could have the cylinder rotate while being closed.
>>
>>28057499
>Cylinder rotates while being closed.
Sorry for being a newbie. But just to be clear, does that mean that once you are done loading the chambers and closing the revolver, the chamber is forced to automatically shift over one?

Also, have you ever heard of any revolvers that skip chambers?
>>
My guess is it was a single action, which has six chambers, but back then was usually loaded with five rounds. The loading gate is two, not one, chambers away from the bore. If the shooter wasn't familiar with the load, skip, load load load load way of charging the gun, he might have put a shell in and not understood its location relative to the bore. I mean, he might have assumed the gate was adjacent to the bore when it's not.
>>
It was probably a single action and he didn't realize the loading gate is two chambers away from the bore, not one.
>>
>>28057544
No revolver skips chambers. None.
>>
>>28057637
Got it. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much.
>>
>>28057340
That crazy fuck just wanted to off his friend. Unless he had a cheap spinner or some shit tier shop made revolver, I'm bettin he shot his friend in the noggin, and thought he'd pull the "hurr I only pulled the trigger 3 times" card.
>>
>>28057340
No revolver I've heard of skips chambers. The only thing I can think of is that the cylinder rotated the opposite direction of what dumb ass thought it did. (Smith and Wessons rotate counterclockwise while Colts go clockwise. Not sure about other manufacturers)

What most likely really happened is that the cylinder rotated as it was being closed and/or moron miscounted
>>
>>28057544
I'm not him, but when you flip the chamber out to load it then push it back in it would be easy to rotate it as it goes in. It may also be hard for someone to tell which chamber is which when the cylinder isn't in place. But no, revolvers don't skip chambers.
>>
>>28057615
expanding on this, it could have been any number of DA revolvers with a loading gate
not really that uncommon
>>
Revolvers don't skip chambers, however if it was one of the cheap, especially Iver Johnson/Union/U.S. Revolver Co., etc, the cylinder on a few models rotates even when the gun is closed and when the trigger is pulled the closest chamber is lined up and fired.

So if he had one of these, he could have lined up the cylinder fine, but while in his pocket the cylinder could have rotated once or twice and changed the order.

Either way Malone is a dipshit who deserved his conviction.

It'd be one thing if it were just roulette, but this guy pulled the trigger three times on the kid.
>>
My guess would be he didn't account for the cylinder rotating before the hammer fell. He loaded chamber 4, but the first to fire was chamber 2.

So hammer down on chamber one, pull trigger\ cock hammer, cylinder advances, hammer down, chamber 2 "fires", then 3, then boom.
>>
>>28057340
>My question is whether the firing mechanism on a 5-round revolver is made for it to skip a chamber in between?

No, and you're dumb for entertaining the idea and also for bumping after 2 damn minutes.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.