[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This has been bothering me all day, when you are out operating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: comfy fleck.jpg (315 KB, 718x544) Image search: [Google]
comfy fleck.jpg
315 KB, 718x544
This has been bothering me all day, when you are out operating with other people and are carrying a pistol as a backup in the even of your rifle jamming, how much ammo do you need in the pistol? Does one really need a 17 round magazine or would one be just as well off with a pistol that uses 8 round magazines, and appropriating the weight saved by carrying less pistol ammunition and a lighter pistol to other shit? On the extreme end, would a .38 special revolver taking full advantage of modern polymer/aluminum construction to make it as light as possible (think something like the Ruger LCR, except holding 6 shots) make sense in such a role?
>>
I would rather have the ammo and not needed it than need it and not have it. So 17+1 for me , at least.
>>
File: sbs afghan.png (968 KB, 993x706) Image search: [Google]
sbs afghan.png
968 KB, 993x706
>>28056659
agreed, no less than a 12 round mag, plus two spare, if your long is completely fucked you want to be able to keep on fighting.

Alternatively carry round a dog as a sidearm.
>>
>>28056602
Depends on how/why you're operating. I'd probably put a lower limit at a Ruger LC9s with stock magazine (7+1) and a 9rd or three for backup. Preferably, though, it'd be something like a Glock 26 (10+1) and a 17rd magazine for backup.

Ultralight revolvers can work but I'd consider them a last-ditch gun--to take out a single attacker from point-blank range.
>>
File: USAC7.jpg (175 KB, 1000x1333) Image search: [Google]
USAC7.jpg
175 KB, 1000x1333
>>28056602
>would a .38 special revolver taking full advantage of modern polymer/aluminum construction
Shit, haven't head anyone on /k/ talk about polymer .38 Spl. Not sure how much the ammo actually weighs.
>>
>>28056696
Are you really going to be able to do much of anything with only 37 rounds of pistol ammunition in the event that your rifle is completely fucked though?

>>28056743
That's not what I was talking about, but would actually kind of make sense for saving weight in something that didn't have violent extraction that could possibly tear the case in half.
>>
>>28056602
On the extreme end, a loaded 3" barrel Ruger LCR with 15 rounds extra weighs a pound less than a Glock 17 with a spare magazine, that's an extra 30 round rifle mag.
>>
>>28056780
>no less than a 12 round mag, plus two spare
>no less than
>no less

if you need more take more, but OP was talking about reducing weight, personally I'd never take less than 2. Normally we carry 6, 2 on pistol holster and 4 in a pouch on your PLCE
>>
I was going to suggest .327 Mag as a lighter alternative to .38 Special. But I checked the spec sheets and the LCR in .327 is 3.5oz more than the lightest model LCR in .38 Special. It does have one more shot though.

>.327
>17 oz
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5452.html
>.38 Special
>13.5 oz
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5401.html
>>
>>28056839
>Normally we carry 6, 2 on pistol holster and 4 in a pouch on your PLCE
The fuck? I've always heard that carrying more than 2 extra pistol mags was a waste and that you should be carrying more rifle ammunition instead.

>>28056869
Yeah, .327 Mag and 9mm both are quite a bit higher pressure than .38 Special and result in the gun weighing a bit more. Now if they came out with a .32 H&R magnum version on the other hand.
>>
>>28056780
In the event that your rifle is completely fucked, and you can't extract yourself from the situation with 37 rounds of pistol ammunition, do you realistically think 49 or 61 will?
>>
>>28057016
>do you realistically think 49 or 61 will?
I'm asking if it makes sense to even carry that much, not saying you should carry more.
>>
>>28057822
If you're OP, self-bumping doesn't work
>>
>>28058177
When did they get rid of that?
>>
>>28058263
literally years ago
>>
>>28058291
I've been self bumping my threads without issue for years now. You must just be imagining things.
>>
>>28058309
I tried to look it up, only reference I could find was some archived pol thread saying "New 4chan rule, can't self-bump your own thread unless someone else replies in it". Maybe it only affects threads with no other replies.
It's also only from 2014, not multiple years ago
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.