[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Legit good first handgun for a girl?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: Browning_HP_West_German_Police.jpg (47 KB, 559x354) Image search: [Google]
Browning_HP_West_German_Police.jpg
47 KB, 559x354
My cousin has recently developed an interest in getting a gun, which coincided to her moving to a more colorful neighborhood not too long ago. I brought her to a shooting range when I was traveling over Thanksgiving, but I didn't have a whole lot of options on hand for her to choose from.

I had her shoot my Sig P938, Browning Hi Power, Colt 1911 and an HK USPc 40. I tried to point out how much more the P938 snapped compared to the Hi Power, which is the same caliber, and how much easier it is to shoot a heavier gun because if I don't give that kind of advice, her dad or a salesman might talk her into some little "pink pistol," which would likely be a snappy little thing she wouldn't be able to shoot. Is this a good direction to steer her in? High capacity, heavy overall weight, smaller caliber? Or is there any merit to a small .380? I doubt she would ever conceal-carry.

A Hi Power might be too expensive or hard to find. What other guns fit this kind of criteria? I know the CZ 75B is very similar, but I am not sure if it's that great for a beginner.
>>
File: sig p6.jpg (53 KB, 700x524) Image search: [Google]
sig p6.jpg
53 KB, 700x524
bump
>>
File: ShieldV938_2.jpg (1 MB, 1200x838) Image search: [Google]
ShieldV938_2.jpg
1 MB, 1200x838
>>
>>28047453
My girlfriend picked out a ruger 9e as her handgun. She loves it and it eats anything and never malfunctions. Its got a largeish capacity and is pretty cheap too.
>>
>>28047453
Even if she sin't going to CC, I'd honestly recommend a compact revolver that will fit her hands. Like a Ruger LCR, say. She can't limp wrist it or forget how to manipulate it under stress. It just goes bang. And at 3:00AM, that's exactly what she'll need.
>>
>>28047453
heavier guns in small caliber are good.
If she just wants to shoot for fun, what about a .22?
I have a 1911 .22, and it's a fucking hoot.
>>
A Glock 19 or M&P 9

Basic bitch guns with good ergos and light but low recoil. She can build experience with those, then upgrade once she has actually developed a preference of her own.
>>
>>28047775

Don't forget the Springfield XD line either. My friend's wife has one for C&C and she loves it.
>>
I would have her try out a cz-82. 12 rounds of a 9x18 defensive load will put any adversary down pretty easily. They also fit the hand very well, have ambidextrous mag release, are heavy and have remarkable double and single action trigger pulls. Not that pricey, either
>>
>>28047767
From what I gather, home defense is her primary interest.

>>28047761
She would manipulate a revolver easily, but would she hit her target with only 5 rounds of a flinch-inducing caliber?
>>
>>28047775
I just wonder if she would be comfortable with a semi-auto with no safety. The gun will likely live in her nightstand drawer with other items.

>>28047796
She knows nothing about guns right now. A specialty Slav caliber is a no-go. The CZ 83 might be viable, especially at the price they go for used, but I don't have any experience with them and wouldn't be able to help her (since I live in another state) if it fucks up. Also, .380.
>>
>>28047802
>home defense is her primary interest.
then a shotgun and a .22
>>
>>28047802
There's nothing flinch inducing about a .38 coming through a shock absorbing polymer grip. Christ, she shot all those 9mm's and a .40 and you're worried about her shooting a .38?
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 600x331) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 600x331
>>28047775
>>28047790

I agree with these two. I'd also like to advocate for a shotgun with a butt stock. Somehow take her out shooting clays with a shotgun a couple of times so she can learn how to aim and operate a model she likes, and then set her up. I advocate for a butt stock because it adds a point of stability, thus making it more pleasant to shoot, even when fired from the hip.
>>
>>28047453
A metal cz would be a great choice, they're some of the best when it comes to low recoil. That being a consideration, don't stray from 9mm or perhaps .380

If you get her a subcompact single stack 9 its going to be snappy, no way around it. If you get her something else, its going to be heavy and not very concealable. You're going to have to find something in between. Personally I'd recommend a cz p07. It's not steel but the slide sits inside the frame similar to the cz75 design which helps with recoil, polymer is going to be lighter too if she's carrying it in a purse, and its aa somewhat small gun though not subcompact so she can't conceal it on her person unless she's fat.

Various .380s will also fit the role quite well. I'd recommend a s&w bodyguard 380. Just don't run +p through that thing and shoot copper rounds (a good kind is Lehigh xtreme penetrator). Still even with regular ammo that thing tries to fly out of my hands... Basically the smaller you go the less manageable recoil is, but the bigger you go the less concealable it is. Good middle grounds would be the aforementioned p07, fns9 compact, or maybe a glock 19 but that's iffy for beginners considering no safety and light trigger pull, Sig p320 or an H&K compact are good options if you enjoy pissing money away.
>>
>>28047831
A shot gun would make sense, but she wants something easier to hide.

>>28047833
5 shots vs. 13+.
>>
>>28047825
>She knows nothing about guns right now.
All the more reason to get her started with ubiquitous guns that have strong aftermarket and common ammo in various loads.

It's not sexy, but a Glock, M&P or XD is the responsible choice. I don't see how a 1911 is any better for a newbie than some stupid pink piece of shit.
>>
>>28047865
Which was exactly my point. She's not going to mail order her ammo, even if I show her how.
>>
>>28047877
Make sure she knows what to get, don't want her shoving .40 in a 9 or wondering why it won't cycle when she put .380 in it.

Only because I'm anonymous, I admit I've done this... Some 380 got mixed in with my 9mm, luckily it wasn't 9x18
>>
File: m9a3.jpg (71 KB, 600x385) Image search: [Google]
m9a3.jpg
71 KB, 600x385
How about a 92 vertec op? Or what about the M9a3, didn't Beretta just start selling those?
>>
I just bought my mom a 92fs, but she was already trained on the m9 so I wouldn't recommend it to regular grills. The grip might be too big for their hands.
I also got a female friend of mine a River sr9 to tuck away in her nightstand and she loves shooting it, says its the perfect size for her
>>
>>28047919
That should be a Ruger sr9, not river...
>>
>>28047904
>>28047919
Yes, a Beretta 92-series would likely be a good choice. Readily available, not too expensive to buy new, easy to shoot after the first shot. The first shot would be a liability, as would be the slide-mounted safety, but maybe not too bad.
>>
>>28047904
>spending an extra $400+ for features most people would never use
It's a nice gun with some great features for the price, but your average person won't benefit from much of any of them.
>>
>>28047904
>Honestly suggesting a Beretta M9hundredfuckingdollarsA3
>>
>>28047919
>The grip might be too big for their hands.

Hence why I suggested a vertec or M9A3 in my above post.
>>
>>28047965
>>28047969
I suggested it for the same reason I also suggested the vertec. Thinner grip which makes it easier for a girl or a man with girl hands to hold.
>>
>>28047761
>>28047802
>>28047833
Lurking this conversation and I must add. My mother has a LCRX (LCR with a hammer) and it's pretty Damn snappy with 158 gr bullets. The thing only weighs 17 oz's. I would honestly recommends a bit heavier gun. Revolver is fine, but if it's on a nightstand then another 20 oz's wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>28047453
Makarov.
>>
>>28047986
Oh shit, I didn't see your post.
Honestly, I think 92s and m9s might be a bit awkward and confusing for a woman with (presumably) no other shooting experience

The only reason I got one for my mom is because she's a fucking freak of nature. She's shot some of the tightest groupings I've seen out of it despite the gun being larger than her hands... Ironically she's a terrible shot with a rifle and almost missed a deployment because she couldn't qualify on the m16
>>
>>28048001
You mean .38 special?
>>
>>28048087
Some people are John Woo others Pvt Pyle
>>
>>28048088
yeahhh i reload .38, and I normally make 158 gr bullets for our other revolvers, but the LCRX was so snappy with it that i made it some 125 gr bullets. its taken down the snap quite a bit, but it still has more than my XD-40.
I would still shoot it though and practice, with the 125 gr of course.
>>
FNS9, cheap, high quality, more features than a glock, safer than a glock, $100 less than a glock. Full-size won't experience much recoil issues. Comes in compact too if you want it smaller.
>>
>>28048442
*squishy squishy*
>>
I wouldn't go with a BHP for a girl. Every BHP I've fired had a really stiff slide, and on my BHP my wife really struggles trying to rack the slide.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28048462
Have an FNS9, just over 1000 rounds through it. Cleaned once. No squish. Is this seriously an issue or is it just /k/'s new glocknade maymay?
>>
>>28048582
Glocks 'splode.
Sigs rust.
Czs have milling chatter errywhere.
FNs squish.

I mean come on. It's almost 2016, people!
>>
>>28047453
VP9. Mine is the tits and its the gun I let women shoot because its simple and its really easy to rack the slide.
>>
>>28047453
>Legit

Disgusting.

What exactly do you mean by "great for a beginner"? Handguns are fairly simple to operate, it shouldn't really matter which one she gets.
>>
Honestly, I think a BHP would be a great choice.

Legendary ergos combined with all-steel construction and 9mm calibre make it a pussycat of a pistol. It is easy to be fast and accurate with.

It's a very mechanically simple gun, easy to field strip, clean and maintain.

And AIM has Israeli surplus Mk.III's for under 500.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1FNHPMK3&name=FN+Belgium+MK+3+Hi+Power+9mm+Pistol&groupid=5664

Also, if her primary interest is home defense, get her something with a shoulder stock. A pistol-calibre carbine, a shotgun... Any of these is going to be a lot more effective in her hands than a pistol.

Buuuuut if she wants to get into pistol shooting I really think a BHP is a great choice.
>>
>>28047453
>cousin wants a gun
Glock 19, 9mm Luger, ~$550
>I talked my cousin into wanting a gun
Ruger LCP, 380 ACP, $220
>>
>>28047453
I'd say any metal frames full size handgun in 9mm.
They tend to have less recoil and a good grip size for really anyone.
>>
>>28047901
what a fucking faggot
>>
>>28047796
a cz 83 would be perfect. i loved the first one so much i got a second. and they are pretty cheap on gunbroker. a 75 wouldnt be bad either. an sp101 would be a good choice in a revolver. id stay away from j frame class revolvers or any kind of compact auto if shes never going to carry.
>>
You did well anon. You don't need our advice.
>>
>>28047952
how dare you suggest an "up to fire" gun of ANY kind! especially to a new shooter. fucking disgraceful
>>
>>28047453
My first handgun was a Turk Cz-75b clone. Thing is pretty heafty and shoots easy, hasn't malfunctioned yet, only problem is the large grip and the shitty plastic grips it comes with
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.