[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Burying guns underground for extended periods of time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: treadonme.jpg (51 KB, 916x592) Image search: [Google]
treadonme.jpg
51 KB, 916x592
Hey /k/. My gun cabinet is pretty filled and I can't be arsed to get a new one, so I figured I bury some of my less used guns away. How would I get started? Looking to do this for a year to even a decade.
>>
Just sell those guns to me mate

Or buy a 55 drum of cosmolime.
>>
Also curious.

Seen a lot of /k/ommandos say they buried guns only to dig up a rusted pos a couple years later.
>>
>>28039063
Wide pvc pipe, lots of cosmoline, end caps, and pipe sealer
>>
>>28039074

Do I take the gun apart or put it in as a whole? How much oil should I use?
>>
>>28039093
Cosmoline, not oil. You nigger.
>>
>>28039161

Sorry, friend. Would be still nice to know if I put them in pipes as whole or get smaller ones and disassemble them into parties, would make it somewhat of a bitch to put them back together though. Got several I need to get rid off.
>>
>>28039063

slathered in cosmoline, in a vacuum sealed bag, in a sealed pvc pipe filled with dessicants, buried ABOVE the water table at the top of a hill.
>>
File: 1448644722598.jpg (44 KB, 821x412) Image search: [Google]
1448644722598.jpg
44 KB, 821x412
>>28039063
>>
>>28039063
you're probably going to fuck it up, it rains outside and if the seal isn't perfect or breaks dem guns gon be corroded to shit
>>
Lookup gun storage bags. Pick some PVC of adequate size with the thickest walls, store some ammo and a basic survival kit with it, then seal it with pipe cement and spray it with a can or two of plasti-dip.
>>
>>28039418

It still has to be done.
>>
>>28039418

On a related note, how deep should I bury them? Thinking of 10-12ft
>>
Deeper
>>
Large plastic container.

duct tape

Plastic wrap

Trash bags.

Plastic wrap the guns. Double bag it with trash bags. Put them in the container. Plastic wrap/bag the container. Apply duct tape liberally. See what I did there? Get it? Liberally?
>>
Pack in cosmoline and vacuum seal in reflective mylar. Bury in a hard walled waterproof container.
>>
>>28039497
If you bury them too deep, they won't sprout
>>
This is a long and complex subject...

To start, PVC is NOT water tight. PVC is water permeable so over time water will pass through the walls of the pipe.

http://www.alphap.com/bottle-basics/plastics-comparison-chart.php

It's a slow process but enough to turn your gun into a rusted blob in about 5 years.

What you need is a "hermetic" container. Glass and metal are nice. Fully welded or soldered joints. You can get brass foil and solder your guns up into a metal envelope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermetic_seal

You need to heat and dry the gun and package first to drive out the moisture. You can probably just sit it out in the hot sun or in the oven at about 50C for a day to do that.

You probably want to lubricate you gun with greases and oils that will not fail over time. Amazon sells "Krytox" lubricants. 0.5oz. of GPL205 will do fine.

Of course your gun is made out of stainless steel/polymer... Don't pack it with anything organic like wood, paper, cloth. I have a recipe for ammo storage I will post next since the word limit...
>>
Here is the canning your ammo to last forever recipe!

Get these things:

http://www.amazon.com/Parfait-French-Glass-Canning-Gasket/dp/B001NUE9S0

http://www.amazon.com/3M-6HIC200-Humidity-Indicator-Cards/dp/B00KQA46BS

http://www.amazon.com/Dow-Corning-Vacuum-Lubricant-5-3oz/dp/B001UHMNW0
Note: this is probably much better.
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Krytox-Grease-Pure-Additives/dp/B00NRPXDOK

Put the humidity cards next to the glass in the jar so it is easy to see and fill the 3 liter jar with your favorite ammo. Best to have bare ammo without the cardboard boxes. Also put in your desiccant bags if you have them. Desicant bags and the cards can also be dried very well in the microwave, but NEVER put ammo in the microwave!

Grease up the sealing ring and put the ammo in a very warm place like the Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Utah sun all day to dry the shit out of it. Cooking ovens may have hot spots in them that might overheat the ammo and it might do the Tianjin warehouse thing (BOOM!!!). You want about 50C heat but very even with no hotspots. The longer it can cook the better. 24 hours should do it very well. If you need to reheat them up more just open the jars the next day in the hot sun to continue cooking.

Then just seal the jars and let them cool. Put them in storage and after a week or two check the humidity cards for problems. If it looks good your ammo should be all set for like 100++ years.
>>
>>28039063
>dismantle
>cosmoline dip
>silica packs into crevices of parts
>vaccuum seal into a package
>into some sort of container
>into dirt

I've got 2 rifles buried near my cabin for an emergency if the cabin burns down (my home) and i have to survive, I skipped the cosmoline dip and just used an oil, but i pull them out yearly and check them for rust and repack them, did the same process aside from the cosmoline and vaccuum seal and havent had a spot of rust yet.

They are buried in drysacks though, and the drysack has a few Desiccant packs in it.
>>
>>28039497

That's unrealistic.

3 or 4 feet isn't.
>>
>>28039093

How I would do it:

1. make an insulated PVC storage tube. As in, stick an 11" wide pipe inside a 12" wide one and fill the gap with insulation foam. For extra durability use 1/8 inch thick metal pipe instead. Cap the bottom and use pipe sealer
2. disassemble said firearm down to it's basic components and coat each generously with cosmoline then seal each in it's own vaccum bag
3. fill the bottom with 2-3 inches of more cosmoline and then place the bags in, filling up the rest 1-2 inches from the top
4. cap the end and seal it
5. bury 4-5 feet underground, mark the site with something that can't easily be moved (like a metal post set in concrete, which can be made by mixing said concrete together in a 5-gal bucket and letting it set with the pole in it)
6. for ammo: do the same (sans disassembly) and put into a separate container a few feet away

dunno how long it would hold though
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.