[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else on /k/ do martial arts? If so what? Gotta know how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8
File: image.gif (250 KB, 960x956) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
250 KB, 960x956
Anyone else on /k/ do martial arts? If so what?

Gotta know how to defend yourself with the basics too. Fists, sticks, and knives.
>>
Nope, my guns are all I need.

/k/ doesn't like exercise
>>
>>28026063
Kali
>>
>>28026063

When I was a younger man I did Krav Maga in college. Was fun, now that I'm older and in an orthodox lifestyle I'm thinking about taking ti back up again.
>>
>>28026063
Learning a bit of boxing, might try learning some Muay Thai or Kickboxing/MMA from an actual dojo when I eventually have a life that I can fit it into, but at the moment I'm content with teaching myself how to throw a punch and not just haymaker cunts.
>>
>>28026063
Boxing, Wing Chun, Aikijujitsu, Baji Quan, some basic knife fighting, Kendo and HEMA British military sabre.
I can't believe it, but Aiki has some application with handguns in CQB.
>>
File: 1438225658830.png (16 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
1438225658830.png
16 KB, 700x350
>>28026063
CQC
>>
Shito-ryu. Went all the way to brown belt . Now after graduating from ACU Idon't feel like continuing because of work
>>
Anyone ever train with a karambit?
>>
>>28028275
SNAKE?
>>
>>28026063
When I was in college I did TKD. I learned how to throw a proper punch and how to kick someone in the knee and/or dick really hard. I can wreck someone's kidneys or face too, but kicking above the waist is a gamble. There was a dude in my class who was on the school's wrestling team who would push my shit in if I ever tried anything fancy like that.

Jumping kicks aren't worth dick in a fight against someone halfway competent, but they're excellent exercise.
>>
File: image.jpg (554 KB, 1321x1845) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
554 KB, 1321x1845
>>28026063
Karate Wrestling Do (Recent)
Shorin Goyu-ryu
>>
I've been doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about six months now.
>>
>>28026063

I've been into Krav Maga for quite some time.

With some Saioc from time to time, and boxing to keep myself fit and because I love that sport.

I'ts obviously useful and great, but If I could carry a gun I'd sure do that over anything else.
>>
File: IMG_4816.jpg (259 KB, 1046x776) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4816.jpg
259 KB, 1046x776
Did a bit of kendo and iaido a while back, currently into HEMA.
>>
File: tumblr_nedfo1bArL1qlzpreo1_500.jpg (24 KB, 464x713) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nedfo1bArL1qlzpreo1_500.jpg
24 KB, 464x713
>>28029080
I just started practicing Iaido by myself but plan on going to a dojo once I have more time again. What is it like?

Also, how does hema compare to kendo?
>>
Jew-jitsu, mauy Thai and a little bit of JKD and wing-chun
>>
mcmap..i was desperate to escape from this jazzercise shit they do batallion pt
>>
>>28029190
>What is it like?

You'll probably d some general cutting exercises or so, then of course the kata over and over, and every now and then the instructor will drop by and twist you into the correct stance and angles and so on, which will feel rather like he or she has decided to turn you into a cubistic sculpture.

https://youtu.be/lfqjFRb6UTI?t=2m57s

HEMA vs kendo, well, kendo has by and large been heavily sporterised, and IMO heavily streamlined to just the stuff that works with the rules and gear used (ignoring kendo kata for now, which a lot of kendoka also do pretty much all the time, though I liked it). HEMA not so much.

Kendo also has a much more well defined culture to it, as well as a much more defined curriculum, since it has quite a bit more history to it and a central organisation to say how things should be and it only tries to do one thing really. HEMA on the other hand is a lot more fluid, though some specific clubs and organisations may have adopted their own specific ways of doing things. Due to this, even though which specific club you're in will always matter, it probably makes more of a difference in HEMA than kendo or iaido.

>I just started practicing Iaido by myself but plan on going to a dojo once I have more time again.

The advice usually given is to try and avoid self teaching, as for every thing you might be able to learn, you pick up two or three bad habits that will have to be untaught once you get a proper instructor. Focusing on general fitness might be a much better way of preparing.
>>
>>28029373
Alright, thanks!

>as for every thing you might be able to learn, you pick up two or three bad habits that will have to be untaught once you get a proper instructor.

Yea, I thought so, too. But since I've had a sword for a while, it's hard not to want to do something with it, even if just to keep up my motivation.
This guy has a lot of interesting and useful videos https://www.youtube.com/user/shachiNT/videos

As for hema, it seems appealing to me precisely because it isn't sporterised like kendo or to a larger extend european fencing, I'd be interested in something that resembles a real swordfight rather than just a sport.

Does hema require a lot of strength and fitness?
>>
File: DSC_0385.jpg (46 KB, 537x729) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0385.jpg
46 KB, 537x729
>>28029632
>Does hema require a lot of strength and fitness?

You can take part and gets something out of it without being in much shape at all, but if you want to do well in sparring and competition you'll need to be "fighting fit".

Speaking of youtube, Kendo World has a lot of kendo (big surprise there I'm sure), a little bit of iaido, and a pretty hefty playlist with older arts, koryu https://www.youtube.com/user/KendoWorld/playlists

For competitive HEMA, at a very high level as we get towards the finals, look for videos from the yearly "Swordfish" event.
>>
>>28026063
Judoka for 12 years, fucked around a bit sparring with boxing and karate, but I have shit peripheral vision, so that never really worked out.

my signature move is Ruh na wei. It has served me well in the past.
>>
Wrestled in high school
>>
>>28028275
What is that? Some kind of judo?
>>
>>28026063
I have about 18 months experience in judo. Yonkyu. I'm currently in a maritime training program though so I've been out of practice for two months. It's killing me a little bit.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.