[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Knives as weapons?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: kabar vs m9.png (420 KB, 1316x592) Image search: [Google]
kabar vs m9.png
420 KB, 1316x592
Between the U.S. military's standard issue service knives, which one makes a better thrusting weapon?
The 7 inch long, 4.19mm thick Ka-Bar
Os the 7 inch long, 6mm thick Ontario M9?
>>
>>28024069
Honestly, no appreciable difference.
>>
>>28024076
Dead is dead, eh?
>>
Ka-Bar doesn't have serrations and is slightly smaller, so I would assume it would be better.
>>
>>28024086
Exactly. They're all clip point knives longer than four inches.
>>
>>28024069
kabar.

the M9 is thick as fuck, and heavy as fuck. also the handle is shit, with no palm swell.
>>
I ask because I heard some Vietnam stories from a former Marine who talking about how they used their Ka-Bars to kill. As he described it, they did a great job. So I'm wondering why the Army felt like they had to design and mass produce the M9.
>>
>>28024171
Because if you only have a Ka-Bar, you can't AFFIX BAYONETS.
>>
>>28024069
>Ka-bar
>standard issue
Pick one faggot.

the jarheads get issued link related
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/ON6504/ontario-okc3s-khaki-brown-usmc-bayonet-blade-and-scabbard-6504
>>
>>28024069
m7
>>
File: kek.png (442 KB, 912x711) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
442 KB, 912x711
>knife
>as a weapon
>>
>>28027038
>Shitposting
>As a hobby
>>
>>28028558

hes right though. a knife is a tool.
>>
>>28024171
>I ask because I heard some Vietnam stories from a former Marine who talking about how they used their Ka-Bars to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kwyCs4gFgI
>>
>which one makes a better thrusting weapon?
>13 replies
>Not one mention of my dick
C'mon, /k/. Step it up.
>>
How about throwing in two blades that just get the job done, and go home to bang the prom queen, while the jarheads are left with the drag queen.

Try Fairbairn-Sykes, or the Khukuri - you just don't mess with those blades.
>>
>>28028675
>Fairbairn-Sykes

The Westaboo katana.
>>
>>28028694

Scotty says you're a dumbass.
>>
>>28028699
OK.

That doesn't change the fact that the FS is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>28028708
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U

Sure.
>>
>>28028708
>That doesn't change the fact that the FS is overrated as fuck.

Yeah there's all those reports of people who find it lacking when they're killing sentries
>>
>>28028764
That person could be holding a Kabar, an M3, an Ek, or any of the other myriad fighting knives issued to various militaries throughout modern history and the video would remain the same. Go get the boning knife from your kitchen and follow the motions and you'll achieve the same results.

>http://hroarr.com/the-ka-bar-and-the-fairbairn-sykes-two-fighting-children-of-different-philosophies/

>At first the KA-BAR received criticism for its dual-purpose, since it was believed that it would be lacking as a fighting knife. However, returning veterans and field reports quickly dispelled any such doubts. A fellow HEMA-fencer and ex-soldier recently commented on the practical difference between the Fairbairn-Sykes and the KA-BAR, based on his 30 years of Special Forces instructing in three different armies:

>What special forces like most is a nice wide non-slip grip, and these had that! We didnt care too much about the blade as long as it was over 4 inches long an inch wide at least, and thick enough up the tang not to snap off when cranked about inside a human body. You could soak this grip in water or blood and still keep a good working grip on it. We hated the Sykes-Fairbairn as the blade tips snapped off in bone and the grip was designed by a surgeon who thought he was doing brain surgery. We had to tape the grips but would mostly use "throwaways" (blades cut from plate steel with the grips taped) as they could be left behind without issue loss, and you could carry several on your webbing.

>Robert Loki Thornton
>Former SAS regiment NCO and Special Force consultant

>>28028778
See above, but I know damn well that you know that I'm referring to the people who talk about that knife like it's the be-all-end-all of fighting knives. It's just another dagger, there is nothing special about it.
>>
>>28028792
> the people who talk about that knife like it's the be-all-end-all of fighting knives.

Yeah, they're constantly stopping me in the street or ringing me up at some ungodly hour
>>
>>28028675
>all these memes
Fuck off undergeb&
>>
File: 1446467986607.png (79 KB, 254x233) Image search: [Google]
1446467986607.png
79 KB, 254x233
>>28028809
I know you know I'm talking about people on /k/. You know, the place where we are now and where someone brought up the knife in question.

If I didn't know any better I'd say you were going out of your way to be obtuse because someone doesn't think your knaifu a best. Well Anon, get the fuck over it.
>>
>>28028820
Kek. Sure. Let's glorify the kabar, because muh reens. Kukris were battle tested, and the Gurkhas didn't fuck around.
>>
File: 1436833250107.png (38 KB, 759x596) Image search: [Google]
1436833250107.png
38 KB, 759x596
>>28028675
Daily reminder f/s is overrated as hell and the Kabar is the best combat knife to see widespread use in the war
>>
>>28024069
The Kabar will have less resistance during a stab because of its narrower and thinner blade, and it will work better as a utility knife and holdan edge bbetter

Basically it will be better at everything short of attaching to a rifle
>>
>>28028835
>Kukris were battle tested, and the Gurkhas didn't fuck around.

Kabars were battle tested, and the marines and SF don't fuck around.

These are both equally true statements.
>>
>>28028835
When did I ever even mention the kabar you fucking retard? You spouted the biggest knife memes in existence and I called you on it.
>>
>>28028864

no I haven't. The ka-bar is the biggest knife meme ever. Strictly speaking, the kukri is a far better knife/weapon than the meme-bar.
>>
>>28029318
>Strictly speaking, apples are better than oranges.

I'd be willing to bet you own neither.
>>
File: HI_WWII.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
HI_WWII.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>28029554

Had a ka-bar, didn't like it. Have two kukris at the moment, a cheap mark 3 from windlass, and a WWII from HI.

The balance on the HI is smething else. Not only is it very well balanced for chopping, and surprisingly nimble for a 660 gram knife, you can choke up on it half way, and use the forward portion for food prep (you can't do the same with the windlass, because the balance is waaay off).
>>
>>28026894
OP specifically said in the Vietnam ear. I don't see why it would be different today, but marines were issued both a ka-bar and a bayonet.
>>
>>28024069
The bayonet would since you can stick it on a rifle for some range
>>
>>28031763
Strictly in a knife capacity.
>>
>>28028764
>describes techniques that work with any properly sharpened knife.

Yeah that FS sure is special.

A good deal better than the bayonets that were issued to normal infantrymen at the time, and well balanced.
But it is not a exceptional good fighting knife, and it has no secondary usability as a field knife.
The quality control was mediocre at best, they were easy to bend or break depending on in which way the tempering was fucked up in the particular blade in question.

A Kabar with the clip point properly sharpened is both a good stabbing and a good slashing weapon, with the added bonus that that a cut with the back edge cuts fabric a lot better than a straight edge.
>>
>>28032242

Granted, the FS is more of a murder weapon (which works just as well, since Fairbairn's concept of "gutter fighting" was basically "murder the other guy before he knows what's going on").

As for the quality of the issue pieces - that's why 1st and 2nd patten FS fetch such high prices. 3rd pattern was made specifically to reduce the costs of production, which is kind of relevant during a war.

Here's another example:
The mythical "full tang" that modern day tacticools value so much.

I have two kukris - the HI WWII model (posted earlier), and a cheap WSC mark 3.

Quality of the wsc aside (as it is not relevant to the question), the mark 3 is an interesting knife.

One of the authentic, full-tang kukris that were issued to the Gurkha Rifles (the others being mark 2, it's updated version the M43, and later mark 4). It has a tapered tang, which you only really see in high-end custom, and semi-custom knives nowadays.

And you know what? Compared to the heavier, stick-tang HI, the balance is completely off. It's kind of hard to even describe it, until you get both into your hand and feel the difference for yourself.

The balance on a 3rd pattern FS is handle-heavy - makes for very neat handling, if limited in application.

Another side effect of something designed for the GIs is often the added requirement of "simple enough to be used by grunts with little training".
>>
File: NR-40.jpg (23 KB, 600x200) Image search: [Google]
NR-40.jpg
23 KB, 600x200
Was this any good? I really like it and want one for some reason.
>>
>>28029680
Not bad.

Still, you're comparing apples and oranges and expressing an opinion like it's fact.
>>
>>28032861
I've looked into it out of curiosity and apparently it was good, but they seem very hard to find originals of, and reproductions are priced ridiculously
>>
>>28032861
Looks like the old Swedish Mora knives used a lot by Swedish conscripts in the first half of the 1900s.
I have no idea if it handles the same or what the quality is but you can't really go wrong with that type of knife unless the quality of the materials is shit.
>>
not sure if this is considered a knife, but its rather combat oriented for single handed blade work

cold steel smatchet

purpose minded grip, speedy and agile in hand, pointy and mean lookin
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.