[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
more bs fingerprint safety accessories
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6
File: guardian_prototype_on_glock.jpg (48 KB, 600x493) Image search: [Google]
guardian_prototype_on_glock.jpg
48 KB, 600x493
Well i posted a while back about fingerprint mags for sidearms but i came accross this and it really got me wondering if its practical

Heres the page link

http://www.popsci.com/new-gun-safety-accessory-keeps-pistols-from-firing-in-wrong-hands

Your take on this, k?
>>
File: gun-lock.png (680 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
gun-lock.png
680 KB, 640x640
>>28023786
So it's a 10x more expensive version of pic related that mounts to LOLRAIL permanently.

I wouldn't buy it, but it doesn't look AWFUL.

Hopefully it defaults to fail-deadly and opens when it loses battery power. I'd also prefer RFID on a cellphone, keychain, or ring instead of a stupid fucking finger reader that's unreliable enough at the best of times.
>>
>>28023865
>http://www.popsci.com/new-gun-safety-accessory-keeps-pistols-from-firing-in-wrong-hands

if the battery dies, it stays locked until you open it up and put in a new battery.
>>
They could at least build a light and a laser into it.
>>
>>28023786
>Your take on this, k?
it doesn't prevent the gun from being stolen.

Would only be used by the types pf people that aren't propagating gun crime in the first place.

p-much pointless. Buy a gun safe.
>>
File: 120543976345.jpg (89 KB, 750x562) Image search: [Google]
120543976345.jpg
89 KB, 750x562
>>28023939
>Can we call time out on the home invasion because my fingerprint reader needs a new battery.
>>
How about we just put forth a new law.

We will hold gun owners responsible for when minors get them and misuse them. In exchange we get suppressors off NFA and the machine gun registry opened.
>>
>>28023786
>lets take an expensive unreliable technology, and make a cheap version of it to be used in life or death situations
>>
Finger print scanners suck ass. I deal with them at work daily. They're slow (1 or 2 seconds) and they're prone to failing to scan. If you have mud or blood or a burn or anything else on your finger prepare for it to not scan.
>>
>>28024044
DEAL!!!
>>
>>28024044
Why should someone be punished if something is stolen from them? What kekery is this?
>>
>>28024044
California already has something like that. If a minor gets a hold of your gun and commits a crime with it you can be held liable, if it's proven they got it because of negligence on your part. So get a fucking safe.
>>
>>28024659
because you should be responsible enough to keep your weapons out of the hands of minors.
>>
>>28023786
It's virtually useless for anyone

The only group of people who would have a practical use for it would be security companies that employ firearms. And even then, there's better ways for them to keep track of their guns.
>>
>>28024044
why don't you just go and suck a dick.
>>
>>28024044
Gun owners should be held responsible for lost or stolen firearms frankly
>>
>>28025365
Your mom beat him to it.

>>28025417
generally they already are, it's just very easy to say that you sold a gun before it was "stolen" or that it was stolen from someone that wasn't you.
>>
>>28025417
>Gun owners should be held responsible for lost or stolen firearms frankly

People with money should be responsible for how stolen money is used. If the thief uses stolen money to buy harmful drugs, the victim of burglary should go to jail. Get a safe for your money, it's that easy.
>>
>>28023786
Oh, you're mugging me?
Mind if I use this harmless not firearm related thumb scanner?
>>
>>28025481
obviously a safe or vault is the key here, gun owners should be held responsible for their firearms up to a point.. if they did not attempt to secure their firearms in a vault or safe then they should be held accountable for negligence imho senpai
>>
>>28025524
my guns being inside my house should be reasonable storage. Some redguard breaks into my home and I should be held liable for what they steal? Get fucked.
>>
>>28025417
car owners should be held responsible for their lost or stolen cars.

if a criminal steals your car, and then uses it in the commission of a felony, then the car owner should be charged as well.
>>
>>28023786
>finger scanning anything
kek, wouldn't trust that shit with my life

almost as useful as those fingerprint scanning safes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJFQO4DIxw
>>
>>28025540
>my guns being inside my house should be reasonable storage.
you are not smart enough to own firearms
>>
>>28025564
>have 1911 in cupboard in the kitchen at all times
>guy breaks in when i'm not home
>rummages through my cupboards and finds 1911
>runs off with it
guess I'm not smart enough to own firearms for living in a low-crime area that doesn't require every single one of my firearms in the safe :^)
>>
>>28025553
how about something that doesn't render the gun useless no matter what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGL0w1-w5Y
>>
>>28023786
If the tech was ever made so it worked a lot better it would be a cool accessory. I'm sure most cops would love a Judge Dredd style pistol only cops cleared could use, but that tech is a ways away.
>>
>>28025564
No, that's a pretty good place to put a limit on the idea of negligent storage in the context of a firearm being used illegally by someone who legally has access to your house. Obviously if your kid shoots himself with your coffee table gun you're an idiot, but why should I be held liable if someone steals the HD gun out of my nightstand after breaking into my house?
>>
Teach people not to be retards with guns, and smartguns wouldn't be much an issue.

I'm okay with these for LEO use. They should only be using firearms as a last resort in the first place, not whipping them out at every traffic stop.
>>
>>28023786
>http://www.popsci.com/new-gun-safety-accessory-keeps-pistols-from-firing-in-wrong-hands
>as happened at least 43 times alread in 2015

>43 people injured in almost an entire year from negligent parents
>better make a $200 piece of shit to stop it!

$200 bucks can get you a cheap safe that will stop a toddler too, and won't make you look like a giant faggot at the range.
>>
>>28023786
You could still take an angle grinder to it and break it without damaging too much of the existing weapon.

Or you could probably hammer and chisel it off. It's still only metal, it's not exactly ultra dense Titanium.

This shit just leaves more legality questions (if you had time to press the fingerprint button, you had time to choose another option, etc.) and brings more cases of people dying because their gun wasn't able to fire.

It's dumb. A proper safe, home security and opsec will stop guns being stolen, not that that will really stop criminal scum.
>>
>>28025685
>I'm okay with these for LEO use.
that's because you're a fucking retard.
>>28023786
>mfw they're 13 fucking ounces
it's like strapping 2/3 of a glock to the front of a gun.
>>
>>28024044
in california you can get reamed for not properly securing your fire arm if there is a child in the home. Even if it is on a high shelf and the baby can't walk. That is why I've told my son that if teachers ask about guns it means they want to get Daddy in trouble. Been working on opsec with him since befor he could walk. Hope I don't get hosed.
>>
File: 1360465236037.jpg (176 KB, 600x756) Image search: [Google]
1360465236037.jpg
176 KB, 600x756
>>28025417
>X commits crime against Y by stealing from them
>X commits another crime with the stolen property
>punish Y while X walks free
>someone thinks this is acceptable
What a sick, sad world to be alive in.
>>
As someone that works in the security industry, specificity biometrics, and biometric hardware, let me tell you this... Civilian biometrics suck. Period. To get a real entry level biometric device you are paying $40,000 for it, and even those are shunned by people in the industry. Top of the line units run +$200,000, and even those can EASILY fail if your finger is dirty.

Bottom line is this... Maybe in 20-30 years when the technology is nearly foolproof, and is affordable to the average citizen, sure, I would be all for mandatory biometric locks, not just for guns, but for everything. For now; the technology is in its infancy and it flat out fucking sucks. It fails more times than it works.
>>
File: 20151119_172752-1.jpg (640 KB, 1999x2501) Image search: [Google]
20151119_172752-1.jpg
640 KB, 1999x2501
>>28023786
>13oz
>mfw
>>
>>28025909
wow, and here my phone can recognize my fingerprint for a couple hundred bucks!
>>
>>28025991
And it works every time right? You would trust your life to it?
>>
>>28025593
>low-crime area
Then why the hell do you have a 1911 in the fucking kitchen cupboard? Are you literally autistic?
>>
>>28025991
It's just pressure sensitive you retard.

Get anything the same size and consistency of your thumb and try it.
>>
>>28025775
How am I a retard? LEOs in America have exceptionally low standards of training, fitness, and general qualifications. I've had a gun pulled on me 3 times by LEOs.

>1st time
>driving from a job at the pier at night
>come to DUI checkpoint
>non-native english speaker
>compliant, give license and registration
>officer asks me what I was doing
>tell him I was working
>officer tells me to get out of the car
>ask "why?"
>officer draws his gun, yells to get out of the car and put my hands on the roof
>then makes me take a breathalyzer, after I come up with 0.00 BAC he insists on doing speech and motor tests to waste my time, while another officer searches my car
>come up clean, after 30 minutes wasted they let me go

>2nd time
>had to take a ship for work from Tampa to Mexico and took mini-vacation after
>just passed the border, already had a drug dog spaz out at the border for a bottle of oxycodon
>Arizona cop pulls my rental car over
>asks me to have my "papers"
>u wot
>asks me to produce my papers "please"
>its like I'm back in russia
>tell him I don't have them
>cop already confrontational with me
>tells me to produce ID or he'll "arrest your ass"
>give him my license and passport card
>obviously doesnt know what he's looking at
>calls in more cops
>handcuffs me and has me on my belly on the hood of my car
>after a few minutes I look around briefly, he draws his gun and shoves me back facing forward
>other cops show up, and after they mumble it out for 20 or so minutes I'm eventually let go

I moved to America for freedom, not to be kicked around by pigs with soldier-mentalities.
>>
>>28023786
If my iPhone's touch ID is anything to go by, this would be a monumental pile of shit.
>>
>>28026048
Not him, but no, it's not.
It won't recognize and open up for any digits that I haven't entered in beforehand, I just tried.
>>
>>28026023
because I can you nogunz faggot
>>
>>28026048
>Get anything the same size and consistency of your thumb and try it.
are you retarded? for someone that "works in the security industry, specificity biometrics, and biometric hardware"
you sure don't know much about what you're talking about.
>>
>>28026052
I'm white and have only been pulled over once for doing 70 in a 45, in which the officer let me off with a warning.
You should consider bleaching your skin and having less of an accent.
>>
>>28026287
I'm whiter than the fucking moon, and I've taken many language courses but my accent is still prevalent.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.