[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mosin Nagant - Finnish M24
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: 700px-M24.jpg (37 KB, 700x233) Image search: [Google]
700px-M24.jpg
37 KB, 700x233
'Sup, /k/. Got a question regarding Mosin-Nagants, and I figured this board would field some pertinent (if also eclectic) information relevant to my needs.

I currently have a Finnish M24 "Lotta Rifle". It's seen better days. When I acquired it, it was already missing it's cleaning rod, and whatever sling it may have come with was no more than a myth at that point. Neither of these are serious problems, though, when compared to the big 'un: the claw on the extractor is straight up sheared-the-fuck off. I don't know exactly how it happened, but I have some good suspicions, seeing as the previous owner was a bit of a dumbass who put more than a couple 7.62x51 NATO ball rounds through the damn thing. But it still fires straight, and the chamber and breech show no signs of over-stress. The only downside is that every time I take it to the range, reloading rounds involves a long plastic stick, and looks like the battle drills of Napoleanic line infantry.

So, I'm looking to replace the extractor, of course. The thing is, I've read that many Finnish Civil Guard rifles were chambered for a slightly different caliber - 7.62x53mm, if I'm not mistaken - and I'm wondering if that might make things somehow non-compatible with a replacement extractor. It'll fire 7.62x54 just fine; I'm just wondering if it'll still cycle properly with an extractor from a run-of-the-mill 91/30 replacement kit.

Any tips? Thank you in advance.
>>
File: M91_3-10-2014_C.jpg (607 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
M91_3-10-2014_C.jpg
607 KB, 1024x768
>>27950116
The case head diameter and rim thickness is the same between 7.62x53mm and 7.62x54mm. The only significant difference between the two cartridges is projectile diameter; the Finns used .309" (later .310") projectiles, while the Russians have always used .312". An extractor from any other Mosin will be an acceptable substitute.

Lucky Lotta-rifle-having-bastard you.
>>
>>27950150
Well, shit. That was quick. Thank you, anon.

Hopefully the extra three thousandths of an inch won't burn the barrel out too much more quickly.
>>
>>27950116

Congratz on the m1891
>>
>>27950182
Thanks. Despite it's flaws, it's an interesting gun. According to the receiver flange, it was made in 1926. So, a real piece of history right there, alone. Also, in addition to the Suojeluskunta crest stamped on the breech, it's got what looks like an Imperial Russian Eagle stamped on the top flat of the hex crown, and a lot of markings in Cyrillic. So, it might be even older. For all I know, it was a Finnish capture, reworked by Lahti, then overstamped with a new production date.

I payed $140 for it total.
>>
>>27950244
>According to the receiver flange, it was made in 1926
Pic? An M91 receiver made in 1926 wouldn't have an Imperial markings, and it would be very unlikely to come into Finnish hands before the m/24 rifles were made.

>I payed $140 for it total.
Fugg.
>>
>>27950267
Shit, dude, I wish I could. But I live in 2005, apparently, and am about the only person left who has no functional camera on their phone. Nor do I have a digital camera...

And yes, I know, this is a "pics or it didn't happen" situation. But you're gonna have to take it on faith.

So, yeah, there's what looks like the two-headed eagle stamped on the hex flat, with a Cyrillic "Π" underneath it. There's also a Cyrillic "И" stamped on the bolt, right underneath the handle.

I, too, am confused as all hell.
>>
File: 61yA0vdiiVL._SY355_.jpg (39 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61yA0vdiiVL._SY355_.jpg
39 KB, 355x355
>>27950267
And when I say "Imperial Russian Eagle stamp", imagine this, only much, much simpler in design.
>>
File: IMG_9981Lotta-Svärd.jpg (44 KB, 1236x824) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9981Lotta-Svärd.jpg
44 KB, 1236x824
Finnfag here, Lotta rifles should have a SIG barrel so it's really a shame if some idiot have destroyed it.

My great-grandmother used to be a Lotta, she's still alive at 93.
>>
>>27950405
Well, it's got a marking on the side of the crown that looks like a letter "S" in the middle of gear cogs. Is that a SIG stamp?

I honestly didn't even think to look for that. Thanks for the catch.
>>
File: Wasa.png (15 KB, 230x230) Image search: [Google]
Wasa.png
15 KB, 230x230
>>27950433

some of the rifles had SIG or Böhler-stahl barrels.

The "S" stands for Suojeluskunta
>>
>>27950444
I had a Bohler-Stahl nugget once.
I was stupid.
I sold it the next day after I bought it for 155$
And walked out the guns how pas t a row of 91/30s going 180 a pop.
Lesson learned.
>>
>>27950444
No, I'm talking about a different stamp. It's tiny, and on the side of the barrel. The Suojeluskunta is on the top. But this one looks like the letter "S", encircled by a gear with cogs, and flanked by the numbers "36" on the left, and "00" on the right.
>>
>>27950433
>>27950497
Damn, now this is gonna bug me.

I reeeeeally should look into getting a camera...
>>
>>27950497
That's the Civil Guard acceptance inspector's proof.
>>
>>27950330
>And yes, I know, this is a "pics or it didn't happen" situation. But you're gonna have to take it on faith.

Oh I do believe you, but I'm betting you're actually reading "95" as "26".
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.