[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/armour/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8
File: armour.jpg (49 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
armour.jpg
49 KB, 600x600
what would you wear to protect yourself? do you make your own custom gear?
>>
>>27946258
>do you make your own custom gear?
No, because I don't have the ewuipment to fabricate my own ceramic plates, nor do I have the time or skill to sew a worthwhile carrier.
>>
Viper Tactical and Dupoint man, Ik viper is air soft but idgaf, the kneepads and shit still work
>>
>>27946265
I know right in facts I was searching some premade set, though looks like there isn't much choice.

>>27946281
but would that help to prevent injuries from splinters or stuff like that? even the one in pic probably won't be enough since it's just thin aluminium plates, I wish there was something in steel instead.
>>
>>27946258
Ive got a literal pile of marine issue IMTV's, interceptor vests, plate carriers, and various chest and side sappis. Also got like, an unaccounted for number of the acessories like groin, throat, neck, shoulder and lower back pieces.

I was in afghanistan when they were retrograding, they would just send dumptrucks of stuff like that to be incinerated so once every two weeks for 8 months I packed a pelican crate as heavy as was allowed to ship with body armour components and complete vests and mailed it home.

I kinda got outta hand with it to be honest......
>>
>>27946258
scored a good condition PASGT vest for 50 bucks so probably that.
still looking for a nice kpot to go with it
>>
>>27946258
Nomex. Gore-Tex. Kevlar. Graphene, if they get off their asses and find a way to mass-produce it.
>>
>>27946258
That armor is silly, I'd simply use my katana to accurately slice off the velcro holding it up and after that... one feel swoop and he's done for.
>>
>>27946265
>fabricate my own ceramic plates

Never taken a ceramics class? I seriously don't get why people spend hundreds of dollars when you can just sculpt your own ceramic plates.
>>
>>27946258
I'm thinking of buying some ceramic plates plus a bump helmet as a brain bucket. The plates are just for funsies but I can use the helmet while skiing.
>>
File: 40mm.gif (2 MB, 361x269) Image search: [Google]
40mm.gif
2 MB, 361x269
>>27947230

I look forward to your thesis presenting a list of valid materials, preparation methods, and the ballistic results.

>ib4 kitchen tile stopping pic related
>>
>>27947252
For funsies, anon. I don't want to feel like I'm back in university again.
>>
File: 1437281331092.gif (374 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1437281331092.gif
374 KB, 500x500
>>27947252

To elaborate on this, /k/ can't even manage to put together a list of differences between SAPI, E-SAPI, Russian titanium, and Russian ceramics, let alone comment on an own design.

Any sort of actual interest should begin in analyzing what's out there, and what makes it what it is.

Anyway, pic related obviously works on AP sniper rounds, so you might just want to pick one up :^3
>>
>>27947264

Do yo thing. I would imagine there are books on the subject, though I have never looked.
>>
>>27947225

People pay for a ceramic plate that is guaranteed to stop a bullet from a large caliber rifle. I wouldn't trust my build if I tried my hand at level iv ceramic plates
>>
>>27947452
That's why you test them fool. As a bonus you can shape them however you want. Ceramic helmet, gauntlets, whatever you want.
>>
>>27947472

>implying you can mix ceramic the same way twice

>implying you know what modern ceramic plates are made out of

>implying you could even procure the items for building level iv plates.
>>
>>27947557
>>27947472
I thought that shit was a mix of carbide, aramid fibers, and ceramic and you need a fuck huge press and a special kiln to do it right anyways.
>>
File: ku-xlarge_2.jpg (50 KB, 640x408) Image search: [Google]
ku-xlarge_2.jpg
50 KB, 640x408
>>27947272
even if they don't work against AP sniper rounds, what company makes them? and do they sell to civilians in the united states?
>>
>>27947844

I am sure they are easy as fuck to get. What you actually want is one of these though, some of them actually are rated against hardened 7.62×54:

https://youtu.be/WAHVABa3XfM
>>
>>27948075
easy as fuck, would be the name of a supplier for either model within a few responses.

I don't see these being advertised too often, even though they're probably completely legal to own.
>>
File: dfx2.png (281 KB, 384x880) Image search: [Google]
dfx2.png
281 KB, 384x880
>>27947220
well I think it was made for mobility, it looks like cosplay but it is actually a legit armour so I would imagine it's not that bad.
>>
>>27948468
it's fairly standard riot gear. It's mostly plastic and padding so it will really only provide impact protection. no ballistic protection unless it was intentionally placed over a bulletproof vest (easily possible).

as for >>27947220 the plastic would make a relatively useful barrier for the first few swings, and you are also an idiot weeboo. your attempt would however make the news, as would the footage of an entire squad of riot cops beating you with nightsticks.

when cops put this stuff on, they're showing up in large numbers.
>>
>>27946258
>Making my own armor
I don't have an actual plate carrier, but I had some zinc alloy chainmail I picked up a long time ago that stops 45 ACP fairly well. I tried putting a solid metal slab over it for testing (It was far too heavy to actually wear though), it stopped three of four shots from a .270.

If I were lacking a plate carrier and I absolutely needed some sort of armor, I guess it's better than nothing, but I don't think it would hold up very long and really be worth carting around a 70 lbs. vest, especially since I've got no helmet to go with it.
>>
>>27947220
>one feel swoop
I chuckled, good post anon
>>
>>27948468
Neat, it even had velcro on the chest for a bat-symbol!
>>
>>27946258
Can someone take the time to redpill me a little on body armor?

I've always thought it doesn't make much sense, cause it restricts your motion and prevents you from sneaking around. Is it really worth it? Why not just... not wear armor, and sneak away whenever your opponent finds you and shoot him from somewhere else? Doesn't stealth outweigh being able to take a bullet?
>>
>>27946409
You smart bastard. You can rob a bank North-Hollywood style.
>>
>>27950942
Used to carry money around for a living. Sometimes, you just need armor.
>>
>>27951285
That's true. I understand the use of armor when you're trying to protect a place or a thing that you can't run with.

So armor is good for any time when mobility isn't an option, is what you're saying?

I guess I just think mobility is underused in modern warfare. Maybe I have kebab instincts.
>>
>>27946409
That shit makes me angry. We spend fucking billions on the military, then they just fucking burn usable gear? Why not auction it off, at least save the taxpayers a little more?
>>
>>27951570
Being decked out in full tactical armor is very different from a front-and-back plate carrier.

We're also not talking about rusted full plate in dire need of WD40, we are dealing with a ceramic composite plate tucked inside a kevlar sack. As long as you aren't humping an empty fuel tanker, your armor wont make much noise.

As for mobility, thats on the wearer. Once you condition yourself to the extra weight of the armor and fine tune the fit so it doesn't bind, the only mobility issues you'll have will likely only arise when running long distances.

Video games bullshit us a lot on the topic of armor in order to prevent a heavily armored meat tank from being able to sneeki-breeki and fuck up the game balance.
>>
>>27951585

Agreed, if I pay for it with taxes at least give me the option to buy it for my personal use.
>>
>>27951683
That's true I guess.

And that depends on the game. I find that a lot of times, the heavy armor is actually overpowered and doesn't slow you down at all. A stealth build character is no use when someone in heavy armor can sprint just as fast as you.

Also what about climbing shit? Isn't it heavy?
>>
>>27951700
Right?

Even if enough Americans wouldn't buy it, I'd honestly rather us sell it to shithole countries than have that money all going down the shitter. They should take every opportunity they can to use other sources of revenue than just taking peoples' earnings.
>>
>>27946409
You selling any?
>>
>>27951849
>Also what about climbing shit? Isn't it heavy?

Depends on how much you're wearing and still comes right back to conditioning and the fit of the armor. After wearing it enough, you'll stop noticing it and will be able to do what you could without it and only be slightly less mobile.
>>
>>27951881

Didn't you die from a tumor?
>>
>>27952064
I'm not the real one
>>
File: image1 (4).jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
image1 (4).jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
>>
>>27951907
Thanks for the info man. You've slightly revised my opinion on armor. maybe I'll get some when I have more money for my prepping shit.

Is armor that's light enough to be mobile still able to stop anything, though? How heavy does armor have to be to stop a rifle round like whatever you might encounter from looters in shtf, like ak47 or Bubba's .30-06?
>>
File: image.jpg (198 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
198 KB, 640x1136
>>27952898
What you want are level iv ceramic plates. Here you can see some of my faggot friends with front and back SAPI plates with level 4 protection (up to 30-06 AP). With some water and 3 AR mags the whole kit weighs about 30 lbs, and you can clearly see the full range of motion this setup affords.
>>
File: image.jpg (150 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
150 KB, 640x1136
>>27952898
>>27953678
>>
>>27953678
That's not too bad. I could probably be sneeki breeki enough with that on.

Now, is there a helmet that's that good without restricting peripheral vision any?
>>
>>27953778
>Now, is there a helmet that's that good without restricting peripheral vision any?
Well, there's the F35 helmet.
>>
>>27953778
None that I know of

>>27953797
+1 Maymay super dank desu
>>
Look into the types of armor stuntmen wear. Its a combo of motorcycle and sports pads.
Why does all "armor" have to be bullet proof. Think about it.
The ability to roll down stairs, be hit by a car, or land a two story fall on your back and laugh it off would be a hell of a lot more useful in combat than lol bullet sponge.
Moving fast and taking cover in rubble, broken glass and god knows what (way of the gun fountain scene anyone?) is better that multi hit capabilities.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.