[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HD sans firearms
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
I live in one of those modern densely packed suburb houses & although my shotgun or carbine or pistol would be quite effective, I fear errant projectiles over penetrating & parking themselves in my neighbors children.

>Could Ms I:33 (arming sword & buckler) be a viable means of home defense?

>How would the media treat me if I defended my house from Redguard incursion?

>How would the courts react?

>would I level up?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>
File: 1445567421526.jpg (101 KB, 479x461) Image search: [Google]
1445567421526.jpg
101 KB, 479x461
plz respond ;_;
>>
>>27941767
Use the gun anyway, if someone is killed in the commission of a felony even though you did the shooting in your own home then the other person is charged with murder not you. No way to prevent the guilt you'll have over killing an innocent. In the end it's your family first right?
>>
Isn't this why hollowpoints exist?
>>
>>27942004
>>27941767
www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5219Q_XpSI
>>
File: frog disarms kebab.jpg (198 KB, 1446x824) Image search: [Google]
frog disarms kebab.jpg
198 KB, 1446x824
>Are sword and shield a viable means of home defense?
Yes, if your burglar doesn't have a firearm. And even then if your house is small you can probably close on him and cut him to ribbons before he can draw and get a shot off.

Forget the buckler, though. If you're gonna do a shield you should get as big a shield as you can safely maneuver with inside your house. This has the twin benefits of making him have to reach further to get around the shield and stab you if he's got a knife, and making the shield heavier and thus better at absorbing blows if he's got a bludgeon.

You should also learn how to swing a sword properly. It's like throwing a punch - you move your whole body, don't just flail your arm.

>How will the media treat me if I do it?
Dunno. It worked out pretty good for froggy here, iirc.

>Courts?
Fuck if I know
>>
>>27941767
If you're that worried, just buy a box of frangible ammo for your pistol or use birdshot in a shotgun.

It'll still fuck up a home invader plenty.
>>
>>27941767
clearly this is your excuse to buy a 5.7 caliber gun.

dooooo iiiiiiiiiiit.
>>
File: 1445568180485.jpg (12 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1445568180485.jpg
12 KB, 500x381
>>27941767
>less lethal
>>
>>27942204
>that thread
He was just doing his best to respect that Arab's culture.
In all seriousness though this guy covers it quite well. Pick a swordstyle you like, get a sword/shield that are appropriate for it, and get learning. I will stick with Highland Broadsword myself, but to each his own.
>>
Tomahawk trumps all
>>
>>27941767
I'm a lawyer, OP, and I can tell you that you're usually better off with a gun from a legal standpoint.

In most jurisdictions, you're expected to only use the "reasonable" amount of force necessary to protect yourself when you are in imminent fear of death or serious injury.

A gun is generally seen as an all-or-nothing deal: you either shoot your attacker or your don't. If you were justified to use any force, and you were armed with a gun, it tends to be alright if you kill your attacker.

A bladed weapon, on the other hand, is often perceived in a more nuanced way. There is a sense that you had a greater degree of control over the amount of harm inflicted. While you might realistically hack at your adversary several times with a sword before you were confident that you were no longer in danger, you can expect his (or his estate's) lawyer to claim that you could have stopped after the first swing. If you go nuts on a burglar and chop him up, it's going to be much harder to defend in court than if you shoot him to death.
>>
>>27942684
Right that's the other half of it.

If you really wanna git gud then see if there are any HEMA groups in your area that cover styles that interest you.

Although that is going a little overboard, I can tell you right now having a range advantage and a shield over a potential attacker more or less guarantees success unless he's both swole as fuck and doped out on PCP
>>
>>27942204

>swinging a gladius

how do you fuck up this bad. its made for stabbing.

If he had stabbed him the fucker would have been dead.

Still sucks that you apparently can't defend your castle from peasants in France.
>>
Figure out a melee weapon you feel comfortable with and learn to be effective with it. For me I'd prefer a short katana (worst sword evar lololol) simply because that's basically the way I fought in bel when not using a spear and I'm comfortable with it.

From what I hear HEMA is REALLY good for learning a more proper swordsmanship.

Getting into something like belegarth might be a good option to get used to fighting dudes in a melee. If you do get into foam fighting go with one of the groups that's more of a sport with minimal bullshittery. No "magic", rpg elements, love tap fighting, or any of that bullshit. All belegarth really has is the garb, the rest is pretty much beat the shit out of the other guy before he beats the shit out of you. You may not be learning formal swordsmanship but you learn to get in close, deal with all sorts of things (spears, shields, and other swords), and not get hit yourself.
>>
>>27942764
Something else to think about, and I realize this sounds edgy as fuck but, visualize what you would do in the event you actually have to fight to defend yourself/your family. Can you imagine going through with it? Can you bring yourself to kill someone? If not you better start thinking of the reasons you will do anything to live, because if you hesitate in a fight because you aren't entirely alright with what you are doing to another human being, you will lose. This applies to fistfights, it applies to knife fights, it applies to gunfights. If, in the moment, you have the chance to think "This guy is a human just like me and hurting people is wrong." then it is a potential liability that can get you seriously hurt or killed. Assure yourself now so that if you ever get in such a shitty situation that you have to maim/kill someone you won't freeze.
>>
>>27943006
Belegarth teaches you if you hesitate you're dead.

It also teaches you how to swing with force, and how to maneuver with a shield so people don't fuck you over. The guy is going to have at best a dagger, so you're all set.

HEMA is a very cool thing to do and will definitely teach you proper swordsmanship, but I don't think you necessarily need that when you have a reach advantage AND a shield. Still, if you want to be absolutely prepared it's the way to go
>>
>>27942778
Gladius could be used for both, it had edges. If Romans saw the opportunity they would cut tendons then deal the death blow.
>>
>>27942718
What about if it was one good gut stab? Would that be seen as any different from gun wound?
>>
File: 1303230020025.jpg (22 KB, 500x484) Image search: [Google]
1303230020025.jpg
22 KB, 500x484
>>
a meter of garden hose filled with lead bird shot and sealed at both ends.
>>
Can't go wrong with
CAT'S FOOT
IRON CLAW
>>
File: 12 gauge birdshot 10 feet.jpg (408 KB, 358x2715) Image search: [Google]
12 gauge birdshot 10 feet.jpg
408 KB, 358x2715
>>27941767
Birdshot at indoor ranges will do the trick. Look. See?
>>
>>27944682
>That pile of splattered gore
Fucking hell. Looks like the 'exit wounds' when we shot up some pumpkins
>>
File: 1HLGqaj.png (92 KB, 444x440) Image search: [Google]
1HLGqaj.png
92 KB, 444x440
>>27944682
>>
>>27944682
that's streached and opened for surgery you boyfucking retard.

If it has enough energy to oen up a person in a manner that would take them down it definitely has enough energy to pass through walls.

Defensive ammo helps with overpenetration but a be sure of what your aiming at and it won't be a big an issue. Recommending birdshot is a terrible idea that was only ever applicable when there were no defensive rounds in the market.

You are also legally covered if someone is hurt because damages from a victim defensing themselves are passed to the felon.
>>
>>27942778
>Not swinging a Gladus
It's a leaf blade. Essentially a double sided machete with a good point. Great for standby and choppy, but not so much draw cuts because of the blades shortness, but that also makes theme not so unreasonable for indoor use. Realistically, froggy probably ended up doing the most effective thing with a series of chops. Heavy tissue damage with possible fractures leading to incapacitation with very little organ damage and relatively manageable blood loss compared to if he slashed him with a sabre or longer blade or something. If he had gone for the stab he would have sent that ayyrab straight to the morgue, and probably gotten himself in even more trouble.
>>
>>27943073
I sometimes worry that I would have the opposite problem in a hd situation. Like I would flip out and beat the hell out of a mans corpse for a good ten minutes to get the rest of it out of my system if I had to kill him, which would probably land me in more hot water. I don't have a poor temper or anything, but for some reason I have some sort of inkling that I would take things too far, and my experiences with fighting have only reaffirmed this suspicion. Anybody else worry about that?
>>
>>27942718
If I slice his head clean off with my ultimate zandatsu will I be in any trouble? His estate couldn't use their argument because it's just one swing
>>
>>27942701
That screw is pig disgusting
>>
>>27947006
You'd probably be okay.

There was a case a few years ago where a burglar was killed by a college student with a single katana slash that severed his hand and chopped part-way through his torso. The swordsman was not prosecuted.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/01/johns_hopkins_student_from_nj_1.html
>>
>>27942718
>claims to be a lawyer
>doesn't disclaim himself from liability for using his casual advice legally

Confirmed for not lawyer.

OP if you have a narrow hallway or a staircase, get a round shield and pike/spear.

Swords are sidearms, and you should have one as well.

Well a claymore wouldn't be a sidearm so I guess I shouldn't make blanket statements
>>
>>27944682
Did the guy already have a replaced shoulder where he was shot?
>>
>>27944682
Get the fuck out of here with that shit, Phil. I have told you a million times that birdshot does not RELIABLY penetrate human bone. There have been a million cases where people have been hit with birdshot at very close range and simply continued doing what they were doing.
Hell, there's even examples of people getting hit with buckshot in non-vital areas and continuing to fight.

If you are going to use a firearm for home defense you simply have to accept the fact that your weapon may overpenetrate and harm someone else. There is no way around this unless you choose to be a retard and gimp yourself by going with some shit like bird shot, which could potentially cost you your life.
>>
>>27941840
Not really. If you shoot someone in your own home, even if there is clear cut evidence such as they broke in, shot your dog then tried to shoot you but failed, it's still treated as a homicide investigation until the evidence is reviewed and the case goes through a proper trial. You will still be arrested, placed in custody and brought to jail and charged. Doesn't mean you'll be found guilty but the aforementioned process will still occur. You'll lose your gun for at minimum one year and after that you'll still have a hell of a time getting it back.
>>
>>27948968
That depends on the state. Zimmerman was merely photographed at the police station and released immediately. He wasn't charged with anything until the media flipped out about the case.
>>
Try less-than-lethal ammunition for the shotgun, like beanbags. (Assuming it's a pump)

Alternatively, you can use cartridges with lower penetration power, like birdshot and hollow points.
>>
>>27948968
Not true at all. you have to go to trial if the DA decides it, if it is obvious self defense they will not charge you. All you have to do is cooperate until that happens.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.