[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here have any knowledge of the US Air National Guard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
Does anyone here have any knowledge of the US Air National Guard?
I'm a high school senior right now and I'm thinking about enlisting now serving through college. Should I wait until I finish college and enter as an officer, or is the whole thing just a bad idea?
>>
Pic related- My home state flying /k/'s favorite plane
>>
bump #2
>>
Bump again
>>
While this belongs in the MEG thread.

Be an officer.
>>
>>27940614
Since nobody else is responding, I'll throw in what I've learned. Granted, I was in a TFI unit, so I was an active duty member working with the ANG. The guard seemed good enough, I worked all week with some guys (the technicians) while the traditionals (1 weekend a month, two weeks a year guys) came in on drill weekends to meet their requirements, do their training, and bounce for another month. However, they were still subject to deployment (I was in a C-130 unit), which I assume you will be too in an A-10 unit. If you have an idea of what you want to do in school, I would assume the guard would be alright, although when you're in it takes more than just a degree to become an officer (as an enlisted, you'd have to be outstanding to be considered for the enlisted to commisioned program). That said, I know that the AF has a program where they can pay for your school, but in return you have to be an officer for a set amount of time, and I don't know if they let you take whatever you like or if you have to pursue a certain major.

If anybody else has some information on it, or if I've said something inaccurate, let me know.
>>
>>27940614
You will get treated like reservists by the enlisted and they will probably make up the same stories to tell their stupid co workers in their shop.
>>
AF fag here OP. what career field you interested in.

Im currently reserve and trying to be an officer. You'll have plenty of time to go to school when you come back if you want.
>>
>>27941184
I'm mostly interested in computer science-related stuff. I'm pretty good and it and I find it to be a ton of fun, so if I can base my career off of that, it'd be great. I was thinking of looking into the Cyber Warfare MOS in the ANG during college, as to get a jumpstart on everyone else in the field while serving the country as I've always wanted to do
>>
>>27941347
>I was thinking of looking into the Cyber Warfare MOS in the ANG during college, as to get a jumpstart on everyone else in the field while serving the country as I've always wanted to do

thats a smart idea
>>
>>27941347
How ang and reserve works is that they have openings based on their base needs. If your unit your interested in had an opening then go for it. Just know that the position might not be available. Cyber warfare is mostly for officers, but enlisted have cyber transport and the have client systems.

If you can't get the job you want it's not bad to look for something else as a back up. I really wanted an electricity/scientific job but I got stuck with aircraft maintenance comm/nav systems and out in the real world it's about 50k-65k starting pay. And right now I'm trying to study for chemical engineering.
>>
>>27940614
I don't know Air Force but, in the Army, it's possible to go National Guard and ROTC at the same time.

Nasty girl pays $$$ for college and ROTC pays $$$ for college plus you earn $$$ take home pay from nasty girl too.

You get the benefit of being prior service when you become an officer, which improves your knowledge of the military and how to get shit done, as well as having a FUCKING HUGE positive impact on your leadership abilities and you get more respect from your men.

If that is an option in the ANG, by all means, jump on it.
>>
>>27940614
OP, it's >>27945419 again, don't worry about your MOS too much. It would be nice to get something related to what you want to do as an officer, but if you can't, fucking always go supply. You literally can't go wrong as supply if you are only going to be enlisted for four years. The shit you will learn as supply will make you a GOD as an officer.

Nothing is more important in the military than logistics which is just a white people word for supply.

Tldr: get electronics repair or electronic warfare MOS if you can. If not, go supply all day, baby.
>>
>>27940614
hey OP active duty USAF here.

its easier to go from enlisted to officer in the guard and reserves. its a complicated process and extremely competetive if you go active duty.

if you think you might want to go active duty later on in life you are better off just going officer from the start. if youre gonna stay reserve or guard your whole life you can do whatever.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.