[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you really think people can get PTSD from piloting a drone?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8
File: drone-pilots.jpg (98 KB, 850x566) Image search: [Google]
drone-pilots.jpg
98 KB, 850x566
Do you really think people can get PTSD from piloting a drone?
>>
>>27930471
Some people can get extremely upset if they know they've taken lives.
There's many stories of ww2 bomber crewmen weeping over the lives they knew they'd taken.
I guess IDK how it would feel as I'm out of the mil and won't ever be in that job.
>>
Do you really think you can get PTSD?
>>
>>27930471
I got PTSD from banging ur mum m8
>>
>>27930496

Oohhh damn
>>
>>27930471
I would cry like a bitch if if I accidentally blew up a school full of kids or some innocent family. PTSD is mainly about two things:

Having people taken from you, and taking the lives from people who are not deserving of it.

I don't think anybody I've ever spoken to in the military has felt bad about killing a military aged male that was shooting about them, a lot of the time those are the only lives they'll speak about taking.
>>
File: ad-buster-drone-1.gif (969 KB, 245x160) Image search: [Google]
ad-buster-drone-1.gif
969 KB, 245x160
>>
Depends who you're asking.

If some lunatic feminist can get ptsd from online bullying, I'd wager you can ptsd from anything.
>>
>>27930617
4chan gave me PTSD
>>
PTSD is a made up gibsmedat horseshit sob story for faggots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWHbF5jGJY0
>>
>>27930471
PTSD? Probably not. Other psychological problems like depression? Sure. Even if you are killing people, you are still seeing it through a screen and from a great distance. I think there would be a certain level of separation from the events that would make full blown PTSD very unlikely.
>>
File: 1439271735202.jpg (94 KB, 626x788) Image search: [Google]
1439271735202.jpg
94 KB, 626x788
If you see the aftermath of your actions. Yeah.

Imagine you found out you blew up a family of 4 qt 10/10 sisters by accident.
>>
>>27930637
This post gave me PTSD
>>
Post Traumatic Stress
You can get it from anything traumatic or abnormally stressful. You don't get PTSD from playing vidya games but basically any sort of violence you witness or are involved in can cause it. In the past, it was more regular and accepted, with strong support and mostly direct action.

It used to be called regret.
>>
>>27930471
Sure. There was an interview with a drone pilot who explained that even though he was half a world away, the drone's optics allowed him to see a targets face so clearly that it was like he was making direct eye contact before he killed him. Even if you're not in harms way, that kind of thing will stick with you.
>>
>>27930471
PTSD has many sources. You can work a stressful job in sales and end up with a form of PTSD. It's like Autism in the fact that there's a huge spectrum and endless sources and effects on the person.

The classic "shell shock" tends to stem from insanity like combat, shelling, serious accidents and near death experiences.

Other forms of PTSD that tend to develop over long periods of time and lead to depression, alcholism, drug addiction, violent behavior, aggressiveness and suicide can stem from pure mental strain and stress over prolonged periods of time. Simply being on patrols where enemy combatants and IEDs are likely to be for a few month stretch will put your brain through the ringer. It consumes and enormous amount of energy keeping on edge like that full time and bringing it back down to calm/safe thinking is not an overnight process. Thinking about the lives taken, especially the "collateral" day in and day out could absolutely cause a form of PTSD, it has and continues to.

Rampant alcoholism among police who spent careers on patrol is no coincidence either, police experience PTSD, as defined these days, to a much higher degree than just about any profession in this nation.
>>
>>27930694
PTSD gave me PTSD
>>
>>27930471
I got ptsd after losing my wingman in USNF'97
>>
>>27930752
I have GigaPTSD
>>
>>27930640
Edgy as fuck.
>>
>>27930471
part 1/3

>When an electrical fire disabled Colonel Doyle VanWatermulen’s Predator drone, the 65-year old veteran pilot exclaimed “Mayday! Mayday! We’re going down! We’re going down!” while sitting at his cubicle, sources close to his office confirmed.
>>
>>27930489
My Grandfather was one of those guys.

He told my father about the war once, and that one time he told his story he cried.

Basically, the biggest moment was the bombing of Dresden. The minute the bomb bay doors opened, the smell of rotting and burning flesh hit him. I'm pretty sure he was the radio operator. I'm not 100% he died when I was young.
He got sick from the smell, they dropped their payload and on the return trip his plane was hit by flak. Now I was told the pilot and co pilot were killed/wounded and he flew the plane back. I'm not sure how accurate that was.

Rip Grandpa Simpson, wish I could've learned more.
>>
>>27930789
past 2/3

>Witnesses stated VanWatermulen began violently pulling and pushing the various ergonomic levers under his seat in an apparent attempt to “eject” himself. Unable to trigger an ejection, the pilot called out ”Jammed! I’m outta here!” and rolled from his chair.
>>
>>27930704
>the drone's optics allowed him to see a targets face so clearly that it was like he was making direct eye contact before he killed him.

100% bullshit.
>>
>>27930801
part 3/3

“Oh, right,” he said after hitting the concrete floor at the North Dakota Air National Guard Station in Fargo, ND. His then un-piloted drone, armed with two Hellfire missiles, reportedly crashed into an Afghanistan hillside some 6,741 miles away.
>>
>>27930471
Wow...you have no idea how old that picture is.
>>
>work in airport bar, a lot pilots are vets, some combat others peacetime
>talking with former vietnam pilot at my job
>talks about how he flew over a hundred combat missions in vietnam in the navy
>respectfully ask him what it's like to fly in combat conditions, if he felt like sharing
>"anon I've killed a lot of people, I mean A LOT, but one time I got close to 100 KBA in one run"
>wat
>stern silenece for ~5 minutes
>google KBA, kills by air
>holy shit
>"I don't feel bad because I was helping out our boys, but sometimes I think about it."
>pulls out wallet and takes out a picture of his kids
>"My son is a grown man now, but when he was a teenager, I couldn't help but think that a lot of them boys I killed weren't much older than him. That's him and his son, he's about that age now."
>"Whenever I see him I think about them boys in vietnam again."
>shit sir have another
>smiles and we chat about football for a minute or two then he leaves
>gives me a good tip

Nice guy but damn I don't think I was ready to hear that.
>>
>>27930976
>tfw hippies from his time and ours despise such a man.
>>
>>27930471
I'd recommend looking up 'Moral Injury'.

PTSD is usually cause something happened to the person. Moral Injury is 'oh man I did something horrible'.
>>
>>27931017
I don't know how I'd feel torching a few thousand people either man, I can't even imagine how many people that guy actually killed. He was a nice guy though, irrespective of how many people he had killed.
>>
PTSD is a bullshit made up disease that whiny faggots use as an excuse because they can't handle life, just like depression
>>
File: 1371446821365.jpg (22 KB, 491x473) Image search: [Google]
1371446821365.jpg
22 KB, 491x473
>>27930799
>smelling burning flesh 35,000 feet in the air
>radio operator landing a fucking plane
>some how getting hit on the return trip when no AA guns defended Dresden

why do you come on /k/ and make up ww2 stories?
>>
>>27930801
>>27930810
>Unable to trigger an ejection, the pilot called out ”Jammed! I’m outta here!” and rolled from his chair.
>“Oh, right,” he said after hitting the concrete floor at the North Dakota Air National Guard Station in Fargo, ND.
kek
>>
>>27930471
Can you get PTSD from playing GTA?
>>
>>27931209
Do you want to know how I know you've never smelled ONE dead body?

Also, I questioned the accuracy of it too. So maybe you should acquire some reading comprehension.
>>
>>27931347
Not the guy you're replying to, but fact check retarded sounding stories before you tell them. Even if they're not your stories, and you say 'I doubt the accuracy', you're still the one telling the story to people and you're the one who will look autistic when someone calls you out on a bullshit story.
>>
>>27930807
Why would that be bullshit?
>>
>>27930471
why can civilians claim ptsd?
>>
>>27930799
Cool story my fellow redditor. Upvoted.
>>
File: Zim Diminish.gif (305 KB, 279x199) Image search: [Google]
Zim Diminish.gif
305 KB, 279x199
>>27930471

>Do you really think people can get PTSD from piloting a drone?

serves them right the faggots if that hilarity its true.
>>
>>27930471
Man, that looks comfy. Where do I sign up?
>>
>>27930471
They definitely picking up some kind of stress. Drone operators have to work crazy hours. Militaries are putting more drones in the air, but are not hiring more operators to fly them.
>>
>>27930471
Yes, for not making it as a real pilot.
>>
>>27930471
Do you know how many times drone pilots have to watch hajis fucking goats?

I'd have PTSD
>>
Of course, you are killing people from half a world a way. That gives the user a sense of disconnection from the world.
>>
>>27931703
Drone pilots don't actually work out of the US do they?
Latency would be an issue right?
>>
>>27931470
Because horrible shit doesn't happen solely to military personnel in a combat zone.
>>
>>27931718
Yes they do, for the bigger birds.

Latency is a minor issue. It's not like they're dogfighting or the drones are supersonic or anything. I mean hell if I can get an internet signal from fucking China in under 100ms (1/10th of a second) a drone cruising along at 200kn at 50,000ft AGL with nothing to run into really doesn't have anything to worry about.
>>
>>27931827
Ahh thanks anon. For whatever reason I assumed they used satellites(Increasing the latency to like 1k+ ms).
>>
File: mr smuggins.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
mr smuggins.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>27930471
i shagged my friends wife and don't even feel bad, so i think i'd be ok
>>
>>27931347
thank you for your service
>>
>>27931856
thank you for your service
>>
>>27931458
Because that's not how optics work
>>
>>27931575
Edgy
>>
>>27931347
>Do you want to know how I know you've never smelled ONE dead body?

This guy's covered wars, you know?
>>
File: Muslim Pink.jpg (69 KB, 366x361) Image search: [Google]
Muslim Pink.jpg
69 KB, 366x361
>>27930471

>He thinks that PTSD comes from personal danger and nothing else
>>
>>27931841
They do; however, they're likely using the main military constellation, which is in MEO--much, much closer than GEO, which is what you're thinking about.
>>
>>27931914
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>27930471
>can
They do. Probly the biggest cause is the zero-decompression environment most stateside drone pilots live in. One of the biggest causes of long-term PTSD is bottling up the incidents that caused the mental trauma. Deployed pilots are constantly discussing, reviewing, debriefing, and bullshitting about their missions. A drone pilot goes straight from watching a firefight or blowing up a convoy to dinner with the family after a 45 minute drive home alone.
>>
>>27931827
The latency is a lot more than 100 ms. There's a lot of latency associated with video compression/decompression and satellite repeaters.
>>
>>27931951
Daughter of Al-Bombadi, failed suicide bomber
>>
>>27932074
Eww...
Maybe we should start putting pilots in our drones.
>>
>>27930695
>You don't get PTSD from playing vidya games

have you not played red orchestra or spec ops the line?
>>
>>27930471
>that thousand monitor stare
yeah bud
>>
>>27931017
Others might call him weak for having moral and ethical questions about his service, the truth is both sides suck. The center is where things belong, all zen and buddhist like.
>>
>>27931209
>B-17s and B-24s flew at 35,000ft during raids
>>
>>27931209
There are tons of first hand accounts of the smell of burning flesh getting into planes doing bombing runs on Dresden. Entire bomber wings ran out of anti-nausea medication.

He said his plane was hit by flak on the return trip, not over Dresden itself.

Why do you feel the need to act like an autist if you can't even fact-check?
>>
>>27930471
I think PTSD is about being unable to help others when you know you fucked up, that's why i suspect most PTSD comes from people seeing hard shit and being unable to help people or places. Yes, even tho Kill-confirmed might look fake, everything can give you PTSD. Even twitter arguments from trans-phobic ciscum
>>
PTSD is an STD caught by some other guy on base banging your girl on the side.
>>
>>27933252
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPuWFycZntI
>>
File: reaperguy's credentials.png (1 MB, 927x537) Image search: [Google]
reaperguy's credentials.png
1 MB, 927x537
/paging Reaperguy
>>
>>27932890
>Others might call him weak for having moral and ethical questions about his service

People who have never done or seen shit, yet
>>
>>27933276
iirc Reaperguy has said it comes from the lack of cool down time between being a civilian and blowing stuff up
>>
>>27930594
Did Buster finally serve his nation?
>>
>>27930471
Maybe if you're a gigantic pussy aka Tumblr user yeah.
>>
>>27931718
Yes they do, they fly drones twenty minutes from where I live.
>>
It's not just fear that wears people out emotionally.

It's the moral conflicts of what they do, coupled with no decompression and social disconnection (not in theatre to bullshit to your buddies about it all, woop you're back to dinner with your family soon after bombing the living shit out of people)
>>
>>27931718
Yup. Most USAF RPAs are flown from the U.S. the lag is about 2 seconds. That's why they launch them from OCONUS and hand them off.
>>
>>27931611
Wrong. The AF is run by pilots, they're not abused no matter what bullshit they spout. Maintenance and cops on the other hand...
>>
>>27932139
how about putting drones in the drones?
>>
>>27932040
This is exactly it. When in a war zone you are in a different mindset, its a feeling of it not being your normal life. Theres the sand where killing occurs, and theres home where that doesnt happen. But now you mix them
>>
>>27934272
Airfag briefs have started to use the term "triggered" so yes, they are pussy Tumblr users.
>>
>>27930471

People get PTSD from poop swastikas and having their views challenged... so anything can happen.
>>
>>27930471
I would feel nothing.
>>
>>27930471
That is too damm comfortable, you shouldn't be that comfortable while taking people's lives.
>>
>>27930471
If your superior is putting enough pressure on you..You would have to be a simpleton to feel bad about killing Islamic terrorists
>>
Add killstreaks

>Bomb hospital
>Drone operator is given control of a nearby helicopter's weapons for ~30 seconds
>>
>>27932725
I may be a robot because I gave negative fucks about spec ops even after people tried explaining that it was 3deep5me
>>
>>27930471
Darned if that picture didn't just connect some dots for me.
Anyone remember this movie? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-TU0P2Lw4

Sorry for the drift or hijack or whatever.
>>
>>27930640
Fuck off.
>>
>>27931718
>Drone pilots don't actually work out of the US do they?

The Navy has two pilots per drone. One who is in-country and does landings and takeoffs with visual assistance. When he pilots the drone into a holding pattern, the control of the drone is passed to the mission operator who flies the mission, and hands control back to the first pilot for him to land.
>>
>>27930471
My grandfather was a head organist in a cathedral during WWII, due to the shortage of men the organ went without maintenance for 3 years.

The tremulant, 1 3/5 tierce, and contre bombarde became unusable. My grandfather was never the same.
>>
>>27930471
People have gotten PTSD or other mental issues from listening to people die over the phone when working in a 911 dispatch. What's so hard to believe that watching people die could yield the same result?
>>
>>27930471
>getting PTSD from playing a video game
>>
>>27941814

Maybe they should hire people who watch Liveleak videos to fly drones then?
>>
>>27940521
Tell that to congress
>>
>>27930471
Yeah.
They know they're killing people with their payloads.
Bomber and artillery crewmen are the same
>>
>>27941833
Part of the problems drone operators face is a general lack of respect from their peers. Pilots don't respect them because a pilot can be shot down and killed, while a drone operator gets shot down...and has to wait to get another drone.
Subsequently, this stagnates their careers because the Air Force is very pilot-centric. (When they tried to create a service medal for drone operators, the pushback was so loud and angry it was cancelled. They are one of the few people in the armed services that don't have awards for doing their particular jobs excellently.)
They also work ridiculous hours. Fighter pilots fly about 250 hours per year, while drone operators fly about 900 hours per year. (Each mission includes the same hours of briefing and debrief that the pilots' do.) The next day, they have to fly another one, while the pilots get a day off.
Thirdly, the drone operators are very frequently on classified missions that they simply can't talk about.
>>
>>27941896

There is one other operational difference: pilots often bomb or shoot and scoot, drone operators often Hellfire then observe. One of the possible psychological tolls is being ordered to watch things like burning people climb out of a Toyota, knowing you did it.

Probably not a problem if you know it's some ISIS shitbirds but has to suck watching a mom pull her burning kid out.
>>
>>27930752

Please stop saying PTSD, it triggers my PTSD
>>
>>27930471
If tumblerfags do, I would think so
>>
>>27930471
They know they're killing people, not anywhere near as bad as people on the ground.
I wouldn't call it PTSD, but I know people who have called the order to blow up the wrong place and killed innocent people and it seriously messed them up.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.