[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E 6TzT0eCYs >having
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6TzT0eCYs

>having a gun with a cast receiver
>>
>>27913529
Cast FAL receiver...? Fuck I read this once before, is it coonan? Damn I wanna say it's coonan who does or did that.
>>
>Not knowing shit about dick
>>
>>27915565
>not knowing that casting something leaves fewer fault lines in a block of steel than simply taking a giant block and cutting it to shape
>not realizing that sometimes it's just nice to have one 'cause the weight is reassuring.
>>
>>27915565
Coonan and DSA are cast now; only Enterprise is forged.
>>
>>27915622
>not forging it
>>
>>27913529
>casting used in modern processes is the same as shitty blacksmith casting used centuries ago

OP is a fag
>>
>>27915665
Never said forging it wasn't better, just that casting it's better than some options.
>>
>>27915678
>blacksmith
>casting
>>
>>27913529
>cast iron is brittle
>pouring iron into a cast makes it cast iron

What a fucking idiot
Cast Iron refers to a high amount of carbon
>>
>>27915665
>implying forging isn't just casting plus compressing

billet master race
>>
>>27915750
>implying that compression isn't incredibly important because of grain structure refinement and elongation
>>
>>27915768
Forging isn't always better. You have to deal with grain flow often times in unpreferred directions of relatively thin sections that end up often having the highest loads in service. Granted, dynamic recrystallization is a thing, but still.

Wrought products maintain better consistency than near shape forgings. Closed die for gongs are done for cost in high production; they reduce material lost during machining but require significant upfront costs for the dies (~$200K for the ones we bought).
>>
>>27915768
>implying grain structure is going to matter at this level.
>>
>>27915750
>implying billet receivers aren't ridiculous wastes of material and machine time
>>
>>27915820
For gongs -> forgings.

Stupid autocorrect.
>>
>>27915641
you did hear? they dun fo'
>them feels when you got an lmt made receiver
>>
>>27913529
Receivers don't take a huge amount of force anyways, so what difference does it make really?
>>
>>27915622
Okay yes.
What? ... anywaysCast is heavier than forged? Real question. Lol also "heavy is good, heavy is reliable"

>>27915641
No shit. Any idea what the imbels are?
>>
>>27915884
>imbel
forged dumbass
>>
>>27915884
Just feels better man. It's comforting, which isn't really any advantage but psychological.

However, the "alignment of grain (or whatever)" stuff about forging, that's also achieved in heat treating somewhat if I recall my black smithing shit I did a while back.
>>
>>27915750
>Implying billet isn't just casting and compressing (in one direction via rollers)

Also. Given how small a receiver is, it is likely that they start with forgings typically just to reduce machine time, while avoiding grain growth and casting flaws that you'd get in a cast.
>>
>>27915849
>you did hear? they dun fo'

Hahaha oh wow. All those guys with guns in Cali jail now.
>>
>>27915829
>implying it matters when it allows you to have nice features
>oh no charge more
>shekels
>>
>>27916070
might have jumped the gun, their site doesnt have to 'temporary no orders' on it now
seen they got v& the month before
>>
File: DSC_0459.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0459.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>27913529
Most forged receivers are not true forged. They have the raw material blocks forged, but then it gets cut away to make the shape for the final product. Which defeats the purpose of the item being forged, where the internal grain structures no longer follow the areas of stress. Also here is a casted receiver I made for ruger 10/22
>>
>>27916219
Literally everything that is not just rough garbage is machined to final shape. Aka, every gun part ever. Forging and casting is a rough process. THEN it I'd machined to final shape. How do you people know so little about how things are made? What, you think people forge or cast fucking pin holes into the receiver?
>>
File: 1447797159454.jpg (63 KB, 693x663) Image search: [Google]
1447797159454.jpg
63 KB, 693x663
I would sell my soul to the devil to see every single person that posted in this thread beaten to death by baseball bats
>>
>>27916262
Well yeah. It becomes a question of how much material is cut away from the forged shape, and that is something people need to look into.
>>
>>27916321
Maybe he'd take that offer if you had one.
>>
>>27915949
Chill bra I figured they'd be machined or something, milled I guess.
>>
>>27916496
ALL of these have some form of machine-finishing due to how complex the the shapes are.
>>
>>27916321
Cast or forged baseball bats?
>>
>>27916513
Kek. Perhaps machined?
>>
>>27916321
Even me? This is my first post ITT?
>>
>>27916505
Yes posts ending in 219 and 262 cleared that up.

I imagine after that is when they get heat treated right?
>>
>>27916537
Yep. Somewhere in there.
>>
>>27915820

not really relevant to a firearms receiver.

>>27915821

grain structure always matters when you're talking about mechanical properties
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.