[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /k/ Whats stopping me from buying this conversion, then using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: XD-4-PORTED-3.jpg (98 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
XD-4-PORTED-3.jpg
98 KB, 1000x1000
So /k/

Whats stopping me from buying this conversion, then using .45acp brass to reload .460rowland?

Same bullet diameters, just a higher chamber pressure, which wont be a problem with the converted barrel.

The case length is .15" longer on .460r brass to keep people from fireing it through a low pressure barrel.

The bullet for .460r is seated deeper, so same c.o.l.

I cant find thr problem, what am i missing? Why is .460r brass a thing?
>>
>>27912829
I'd be concerned about blowing cases, suspect .460 Rowland has thicker walls and a thicker base than .45ACP.
>>
>>27912843
But the same dies are used for resizing.
Dosent that mean its the same thickness? Else it wouldnt fit right?
>>
.460 brass has a MUCH thicker case web. The primary reason its longer is to recoup the powder volume, being too long to chamber in a .45acp pistol is a secondary benefit.

Keep in mind .45super uses the exact same brass as .45acp but will kb many .45acp pistols, and .460 isnt that much hotter.
>>
Straight wall pistol headspaces off the neck. It will have to headspace off the extractor and may not function 100% just like shooting 40 out of a 10mm. plus there is the whole brass not suited for the pressure and might blow up part...
>>
>>27912857
Nope. Dies go off outside diameter and are fairly irrelevant to the caliber.

This is why you can use the same dies for .460smith, .454casull, and .45lc, or why you use the same dies for .357 and .38spl.
>>
do it faggot. post results.
>>
>>27913825
Probably will.

Not gonna lie, looking into case support.

Ive found info that states .45acp brass can support 40k psi chamber pressure, looking into case support.
>>
Nope, yall were right.
Its not the same case, looks the same, isnt.

Was thinking using a different case, but then why not just use a fucking rowland case.
>>
>>27912829
As a mechanical engineer and an XD-45 owner who has spent some quality time reloading, I'm going to make life easy on you.

1. Don't buy conversion. The XD series pistols have a fully supported chamber and excellent barrel steel. no additional strength is needed in that regard.

2. 45 super brass does have a thicker case web, but that is to compensate for the lesser chamber support of standard 1911 and glock barrels, it is not needed in the XD series of pistols. Standard 45 acp brass can handle 45 super loads just fine as long as it hasn't been reloaded a million times.

If you want to start getting crazy with 460 rowland type power, still, don't buy some bullshit "conversion". Buy an aftermarket barrel that is threaded, and add a compensator. The comp will not modify chamber pressure in any way and anybody who tells you otherwise is full of crap. The compensator will cause a delay in the unlocking of the action, which will lower the force acting on the moving slide, and hence slide velocity. A slide that is moving to fast will generally cause feeding issues, but more importantly will max out it's allowable travel distance and cause damage to it's self, the frame, and the recoil spring/assembly. it also might be a good idea to buy some +p 45 brass from starline for the rowland type loads.

In conclusion. unmodified XD will shoot 45 super no worries using regular brass.

If you want 460 rowland power, or just want to be extra safe with super, get +p brass from starline and add a compensator.
>>
>>27914501
Also, power pistol is by far the best powder i have tested for +p and super loads. It beats unique, blue dot, longshot, and AA#7. I use federal large pistol primers. Standard, not mag.
>>
>>27914589
Ill have to price some super brass. If its notably cheaper than rowland, ill go that way.
>>
>>27914589
Also, the compensator throws me.
I figured ported, but only because i have no idea how to clean the pistol without removing the barrel.

Unless im constantly removing the compensator, but, bleh.

Do you have anything agains an aftermarket ported barrel?
>>
>>27914214
You're an idiot. Life will be harder without fingers.
>>
>>27915284
A compensator works better, and the threaded barrel will give you the option of attaching a suppressor. If you don't want to go that route though, a ported barrel will work fine. EFK has a few options you might like.
>>
>>27912886
.460 is longer so it won't chamber in a .45 auto barrel PROPERLY. It'll fit everywhere else.

.45 super is not the same brass as .45 auto as it is also strengthened, .450 SMC goes even for the than .45 super.
>>
>>27915226
The ported barrel and starline brass will only be necessary if you are pushing 460 power. Honestly you should just play with 45 super first. It packs quite a punch, and as I said earlier you can use standard brass and an unmodified XD.
>>
>>27915628
In a fully supported chamber, like you see in the XD-45 the brass case acts simply as a gasket, and serves little to no function as a pressure vessel. the chamber it's self is what is containing the pressure. In guns with only partial chamber support (Glocks, 1911's ect) a small portion of the tail end of the case will be left hanging out in the open. 45 super 45 SMC ect... has thicker brass at the web of the case to compensate for this. If you have a fully supported chamber you do not need the thicker web, and therefore standard brass will work fine. You will just have to remember to not let you buddy shoot your super ammo in his 1911.
>>
>>27915682
Im gonna have to, i have yet to find load data on 460 rowland.

Gonna have to tweak load data from 45 super till i get where i wana be.
>>
>>27915628
The case overall length is the same.
>>
>>27916067
realguns.com has load data for 45 super and 460 rowland. look to the sidebar on the right. it's not a ton , but it's enough to get started.
>>
File: 1911 (.460)-01.jpg (2 MB, 3484x2332) Image search: [Google]
1911 (.460)-01.jpg
2 MB, 3484x2332
>>
>>27915620
Im going to buy the compensated conversion.
>threaded barrel
>compensator
>recoil springs
Around $400.

I dont feel alright haveing to break the compensator loose to clean it though.
>>
>>27914501
>>27914589
This is an elaborate troll OP, I would suggest not listening if you enjoy having ten fingers
>>
>>27916750
Well, glocks do have a reputation for exploding. Xds dont.
45 acp brass can handle 45 super pressure, he suggested using starline brass anyway.

While looking for barrels, i noticed xd barrels were all "chambered"

I knew compensators worked better than ported, he agreed and said a ported barrel would work though.

I hadnt considered a suppressor, im trying to load high velocity rounds for christs sake. But it wouldnt hurt to be open to that option.

I thought it was helpful.
>>
>>27916750
This is absolutely not a troll. I have and xd-45 and an xds 45 I reload for both. my current favorite super loads are a 250gr cast lead bullet at 950 fps using 8 gr of power pistol. and a 200 gr gold dot at 1064 fps using 9 grains of power pistol. I am a mechanical engineer, and a reloader, and I do know what Im talking about.
>>
>>27916873
Chambered means that the chamber is already cut into the barrel and you will not need a gunsmith to do it for you.

Don't buy the conversion. it will be a waste of money. The longer chamber of the Rowland will actually be weaker than the standard 45 chamber. You can use 45 super loads in standard brass in an un modified XD series pistol. You only need the compensator and stronger brass when you get up into rowland territory and even then the necessity for stronger brass is still questionable.
>>
>>27916975
I seen barrels for $240 and compensators for $140.
Add the recoil springs and your pushing $400 anyway. Why would the rowland chamber be longer? For the brass?
>>
>>27916975
If you want to go balls out, a threaded barrel from EFK + a decent comp would cost around $300 or $185 for ported + $5-$10 for a stronger recoil spring. much less than the "Conversion" kit, and you wouldn't have the stupid extra long rowland chamber giving you headspace issues every time you wanted to shoot normal 45 or 45 super. Also, I would only replace the recoil spring if the slide started contacting the frame. Otherwise you are just causing additional wear and tear on your gun.
>>
>>27917033
EFK and Lone Wolf both sell comps for $80 or so
>>
>>27917033
Yeah, for the brass. The max OAL is the same for 45 auto, super and rowland, but the Rowland has slightly longer brass. This is just to make sure that rowland power loads stay out of guns that cannot handle it. it has nothing to do with additional strenght or powder capacity
>>
>>27917072
>>27917086
Alright ill look harder.
Ill probably make a very similar thread tomorrow with more questions about some random shit i dont know anything about.

But i gotta get some sleep. Thanks for the information.
>>
>>27915620
Care to share some knowledge sir, if you can. I wanted to throw a 460 conversion on double stack para 1911 because 14+1 of 460 right. Can you think of any reason this might not work/any problems I might run into?
>>
>>27917126
you and op should resurect this thread tomorrow. or start a new one and i will be happy to help then. im going to bed.
>>
More or less just stronger webs and primer pockets to avoid primer flow with the higher pressure in the SMC and Rowland right?

Johnny giving the XD the green light was one of the things that started my search for a XD45 tactical.

>>27916084
No Cartridge Overall Length is the same, not case 24.3 vs 22.8
>>
>>27917172
Will do.
>>
>>27914214
DO IT FAGGOT
>>
>>27912886
>.460 brass has a MUCH thicker case web. The primary reason its longer is to recoup the powder volume, being too long to chamber in a .45acp pistol is a secondary benefit.
Why the fuck would I need idiot-proofing? Fuck that shit.

>>27914214
Just fucking don't. Get a pistol that has full case support and can handle the .45 Super out of the box. Target shoot with ACP since it's cheaper, practice some with actual .45 Super, which you reload for more practice, and have some fresh .45 Super when you carry. You can use SMC instead of Super if you'd like.
>>
AUTHENTIC
460 ROWLAND®
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.