[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shipping firearm to myself in another state
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: scumbag ups.jpg (54 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
scumbag ups.jpg
54 KB, 432x504
I want to ship an AR-15 to myself at an address in another state (VA to FL). Has anyone done this before? Is it as simple as packaging my rifle in bubble wrap and a box, printing out a UPS shipping label and dropping it off at a UPS store? It is going to my family's vacation condo in an apartment complex, so it would sit at the reception desk for a few days until I fly down for vacation. I would prefer not to go through the hassle and expense of shipping it to a local FFL if possible, but I definitely do not want to break any laws.

ATF website states:
>May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
>Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.
>>
The ups store can't ship firearms or anything remotely firearm related. Not even stocks, grips, bipods etc. Take it to a customer center/distribution center.

Source: I work in a ups store.
>>
Oh, also, UPS will only ship to licensed dealers/manufacturers/collectors. You're fucked bud, the whole system is fucked.
>>
>>27803024
how come my package from psa always come through ups then?
>>
File: scumbag ups 2.jpg (57 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
scumbag ups 2.jpg
57 KB, 432x504
>>27803024
>>27803033
Thanks. How about FedEx or USPS?
>>
>>27803068
UPS can ship firearms. The UPS Store is a privately franchised retail location.
>>
>>27803070
I may have been unclear. UPS, the company, CAN ship your firearm, but you'll need to take it directly to a distribution center. The UPS Store is a privately franchised chain of retail locations, and they can not take your package. I don't know about Fedex. Don't use USPS.
>>
>>27803136
I worked for an FFL that used to do that all the time. We just printed off pre-paid labels, slapped them on the boxes, and dropped them off at the UPS store.

I've shipped rifles USPS with virtually no issues. Handguns are a no-go with them, though. Fedex is usually crazy expensive, and I think they require handguns to go second-day air.
>>
>>27803156
UPS regulations state handguns have to go next day air. Your UPS Store was retarded and can't read the very clearly outlined regulations, apparently. I'm not saying I agree with our rules, I'm just telling you what I have been told by the higher ups.
>>
File: scumbag ups 3.jpg (44 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
scumbag ups 3.jpg
44 KB, 432x504
>>27803136
>>27803156
Did some more research and from what I read, it seems I can only ship my rifle through UPS or FedEx if I send it to an FFL due to their company policies, even if by federal law it is legal for me to ship it to myself in another state.

What is bad about using USPS? And some people in other forums suggest not declaring it as a firearm to UPS and just saying the package contains hardware tools. I don't care much about their stupid company policies and I doubt they x-ray or inspect the contents of every package they ship, I just want to make sure I am not breaking any laws that can lead to felonies or jail time.
>>
>>27803213
Usps has been known to lose firearms. Ive read about it many times on k and around the internet.

Just ship it to an ffl and dont lie. If you lie and something happens, you're going to be royally fucked.
>>
>>27803024
yeah you can

you can ship my machined parts anywhere
>>
>>27803156
Even though they apparently shouldn't have, SOG shipped me (FFL/03) a CZ-82 by USPS ground.
>>
>>27803327
UPS can ship firearms. The retail locations (The UPS Store) are not permitted to accept firearms for shipment.

Yes, it's confusing. Yes, it's retarded.
>>
>>27803325
Well if that's what you call them, sure. I could ship whatever the fuck i wanted as long as we lie about the contents. But just know that if your package is lost or damaged, and an investigation is opened, and it's discovered you were actually shipping firearms, it would probably be considered a breach of contract, you wouldn't get any money back, and if you shipped something legally considered a firearm to a non-ffl there could be legal repercussions.
>>
File: scumbag ups 4.jpg (40 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
scumbag ups 4.jpg
40 KB, 432x504
>>27803267
>>27803457

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier
>A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

Well shit, I guess it is breaking federal law not to declare your package contains a firearm. In which case, my only options are to ship it to myself using USPS and risk losing it, or shipping it to an FFL to hold for me until I get down to FL for vacation. For the record I have never had an issue shipping anything via USPS, but I am assuming people lose firearms via USPS due to some "sticky fingers".

Which service does /k/ like to use? I am trying not to waste too much money on this, and will ship it out weeks before I am likely to go on a trip to FL. I saw some forum mention Ship My Gun, anyone use them before?
https://www.shipmygun.com/go/index.php
>>
>>27803195
Well, it's not like we told them what was in the boxes. I was told to just say "This is paid for and I don't need a receipt, thanks." and walk out.
>>
>>27803491
Here's some things to keep in mind if you use UPS.

regular ground is pretty quick, depending where you live it'll only take a couple days or less, and always has tracking.

Your package will not be treated nicely. It travels mostly in conveyor belts and gets thrown around by people who have seen and touched so many cardboard boxes in their life that they really just don't give a fuck any more. Our packing standards at the store are 2" of packing materials (bubble wrap, packing peanuts. Not paper) on each side, between the item and the inner walls of the box. It has to withstand up to 200lbs of weight stacked on it and take up to a 4ft drop.

Use a shipping box with an edge crush test of 200 or more. Your local ups store has these and any packing materials you might need. They should have no problem packing it for you, they just won't send it.

It's not going to be cheap.
>>
>>27803345

If you don't tell them it's a firearm they don't know. I've shipped firearms using ups and fedex many times.
>>
>>27803751
>if you don't tell someone what's inside a sealed, not transparent box, they won't know.

Shit, really? Never would have thought.
>>
File: scumbag ups 5.jpg (51 KB, 432x504) Image search: [Google]
scumbag ups 5.jpg
51 KB, 432x504
>>27803493
>>27803751
Yeah I've read that many people do this. Just wondering if it's worth the risk of breaking federal law just to save $25 on FFL transfer fee.

>>27803709
Thanks for the tip. I am not super concerned about packaging. I have a ton of bubble wrap and packing air cushions, and I am going to ship it inside one of these bags with the box it came in:

http://www.ncstar.com/vism-product/product-list-VISMSG.aspx?productseries=Discreet%20Carbine%20Case

Also, I am just shipping the lower and some empty mags. Sending the upper separately to Spikes "Two Penises Touching" Tactical to fix the barrel that is canted to the right.
>>
>>27803847
Forgot to mention, can't ship ammo together in the same box, although that seems like you aren't doing it anyway.
>>
>>27803457
ill mention that ill only do it to ship to an ffl, only had to do it once, warranty repair.

firearm laws seem to carry stiff penalties and im not interested
>>
>>27803709
i work in a warehouse and unload truck in general

who ever loads them gives no fucks, we give next to no fucks unloading, we try not to break shit we have to clean. Boxes fly out the truck though.

i overnighted a pistol, it was almost $100
>>
>>27803070

Fedex sucks a hairy asshole freddy. They fucked me hard. I don't trust them with ammo anymore let alone an entire fucking rifle.
>>
>>27804217
The stores have retail markup but even without it it's not exactly cheap to ship stuff. Luckily i can get a discount since i work there though
>>
>>27803156
I've received my Cz through USPS.
>>
>>27802773
To my knowledge you can do that unless it's a state like California where it has to go through an FFL.

Also fuck jewPS
>have to return sccy because it broke
>they tell me UPS has asked them not to bring firearms in the store so I have to get it picked up at my house
>call the store and ask to schedule a pick up
>on hold for 15 minutes, someone answers and hangs up
>fuck it, brought it to the store anyway

They rarely ask whats in the package but just say an airshit gun, if they xray it which is highly unlikely and you declared it as an airshit they're not going to open it to further inspect anyway. Shipping firearms through them isn't prohibited, but they've "asked" people not to bring them into the stores but rather to schedule a pickup, but then they can't be fucked to actually do a pickup.

Oh also your gun isn't going to be tossed around and slammed TO SHIT. I worked security at a FedEx facility and they would drop everything and throw things to an almost comical extent. I guess they discourage bending down since it could lead to injury so after they lift it they just drop it, and it gets thrown onto the conveyor belts and it gets caught which crushes the boxes.

Yeah, wrap that shit up good if you care about it. Nothing can be done to prevent this since 3 companies hold a monopoly and there hasn't been very much regulation since their inception.
>>
>>27803024
They shipped my ammo senpai
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.