[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /k/. I'm working on a fantasy novel, in which one character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
Hey, /k/. I'm working on a fantasy novel, in which one character is an emerging gunsmith, who is quite enamored about his craft, particularly his prize revolver, Thunder. He will be spending quite a bit of time talking about it's specifications, and I want to get the languages as precise as I can.

What aspects of a revolver, specifically a six-shooter, would a gun fanatic swoon over? The design is somewhat like the photo attached, but less intricate in its design. Thanks in advance for all the help.
>>
>>27789711
>know nothing about guns
>know nothing about revolvers specially
>make a character a gunsmith that talks about his revolver
I guarantee you your novel will be fucking garbage. Just stop writing it now, save your time and effort and do something productive with your life, like shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>27789711
>>27789736
Yeah, maybe you should stick to writing something you know something about.
>>
>>27789736

this desu senpai
>>
OP, if the specifications are really that important, then you're putting the cart before the horse.
>Revolver
Learn about guns FIRST before sketching out the specifics of the novel. Learn about how they were made throughout history. Decide what sort of technologies are available in your timeline and what you may be able to achieve with them. If you want a revolver to be on the cutting edge of your world's technology, I'm guessing mid to late 19th century-level technology would work.
>>
>>27789711
>Trigger lever polished to a mirror finish, smoothing and lightening the trigger pull
>Bore retention spring precisely weighted to ensure correct bullet fit
>Hand-lapped locking lugs to give the revolver a sturdy and consistent chambering
>Custom timing gear to adjust the RPM
>Gentle stippling of the chambers to provide additional accuracy
>Rifling carefully go-ed in place - anything less would not be befitting a true craftsman's work

I just wrote your book OP, I need my tree fiddy
>>
>>27789711
>He will be spending quite a bit of time talking about it's specifications, and I want to get the languages as precise as I can.
>>it's
>>>talking about it is specifications.

Just quit now, you idiot.

Just quit now, you idiot.
>>
>>27789736
>>27789748
>>27789753
>>27789760
>>27789797
>>27790984
Guys, writers frequently research things for books. This is not a new thing.
>>
>>27791042
Bad writers go to 4chan for research.
>>
>>27789711
>working on a novel
>"it's specifications"
>>
I would not focus on specifications. First because you know nothing about guns and second because its not interesting to the average reader.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.