[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hi, I'm back again. I guess I made some slow progress?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: backbutt.jpg (801 KB, 1912x880) Image search: [Google]
backbutt.jpg
801 KB, 1912x880
hi, I'm back again.
I guess I made some slow progress?
Took advice about slowly squeezing the trigger.
Also follow through and leaving finger on trigger for reset.
I guess I'm jerking and holding the gun too hard now, according to the wheel?

Any advice?
Yes, sucking less is probably the top of the list.
>>
>>27787661
Doesn't CZ-75 have a 22lr conversion kit? Cadet I think it was called. Get that and use it for a while, the smaller recoil should allow you to identify if you are jerking.
>>
Hold your breath? Lower your heart rate with slower breaths?
>>
>>27787661
Where did you get the gun? Did you buy it new or is it surplus?
>>
>>27787708
that's fucking stupid advice for handgun shooting.

first thing you need to get down OP is a good fucking grip. slow the fuck down and make sure you're pulling the trigger with the pad of your finger. once you have the mechanics down the rest is mental.

basically if your grip or trigger pull is fucked up you are going to get shit groups like you have posted.
>>
>>27787661
Is your gun shot to shit? My first time with a pistol was at roughly 7 meters with the same gun and I could hit a 7 or 8 " plate nine times out of 10. Are you taking your time between shots?
>>
>>27787661
Do wall drills. Make sure you are dry firing AT LEAST 10x more at home than you are live firing at the range. You need to get used to the trigger pull so you stop flinching.
>>
When my groups look like shit, I clear the gun and dry fire it. I usually notice a slight dip on the gun right before firing. That's me expecting recoil which shits my groups. I continue dry firing until it's gone then live fire.
>>
>>27787661
It's so fucking easy to be dead accurate with a pistol it's embarrassing

Assuming you're a right handed shooter,

>left
DONT USE SO MUCH FUCKING TRIGGER FINGER. You're trying to accurately fire the gun, not clench your fist for dear life.

>low
STOP BEING SO AFRAID OF RECOIL

You will be fucking astounded by your improvement once you remedy these two.
>>
i finally got to take my XDs to the range today and i was horrible
seriously
i think i missed the paper once at 7 yards
switched to my old ass .22 and holes showed up where i pointed

so, yeah, make sure your grip is consistent
>>
>>27787757
that's good practice for bullseye shooting but not for practical shooting. i can shoot golf ball sized groups at 7 yards and i still catch myself flinching a little bit.
>>
File: image.png (452 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
452 KB, 640x1136
>>
>>27787763
>so easy
>pistol

Spot the sheltered shooter
>>
>>27787829
>sheltered shooter
What?
>>
here's something to consider

suppose you have a pistol that is magically suspended and fired; it has nothing supporting the frame. the question is would the round end up where the sights are pointed if nothing is acting upon the frame?

no, it would be way off target. it would end up shooting high and likely right since most barrels have right hand rifling. bottom line is you need to have a solid grip to ensure your shots are straight, then pull the trigger shoe with the pad of your finger. once you have the mechanics down the rest is mental
>>
>>27787844
when you're shooting from a shelter, the air around you takes away wind sway and makes shooting easier.
>>
This drill helps to show you if you are flinching/anticipating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxyTFzgWjhk

I got over my anticipation by focusing intently on that front sight post. I try to get angry at it for being afraid of the flinch. It helps me keep my eyes open the whole way through the shot.
>>
>>27787856
>suppose you have a pistol that is magically suspended and fired; it has nothing supporting the frame. the question is would the round end up where the sights are pointed if nothing is acting upon the frame?
>
>no
But that's wrong. Proper grip technique primarily ensures that the sights don't go off target as a result of you pulling the trigger.
>>27787859
>when you're shooting from a shelter, the air around you takes away wind sway and makes shooting easier.
I've never heard that in my life. I can't imagine how you'd think that this could have an impact on handgun shooting, especially at typical handgun distances of 7-15 yards.
>>
>>27787896
if nothing is acting upon the frame the fucking recoil is going to make the barrel tilt slightly upwards. grip will strongly impact your accuracy and to think otherwise would prove how much of a fucking idiot you are
>>
Jesus christ how are you so bad god damn. I can mag dump and do better.
>>
You're low/left and assuming you're right-handed, that's classic too much trigger finger.

One way I get new shooters through that is to have them press the trigger on an empty gun and hold it there. Observe the first joint of your finger. Is it at an angle? Move it around until it's flat with the trigger. Reset and let the slack out to reset, press again. You should finish flat on the trigger (in other words, make sure that first joint is parallel with the flat face of the trigger).

I've not found the generic "use the pad of your finger" advice to be true for every shooter and every gun. Do whatever you need to do to finish flat on the trigger.

Other things to check:
- Make sure the bottom three fingers on your firing hand aren't squeezing as you press the trigger. The remedy is to get a firm firing grip at the outset. Lock that in before you start pulling the trigger. This video explains the grip I prefer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVHykd3zTU
- Flinching. Get some snap caps and randomly mix them into your mags (ball and dummy drill). You'll find out about your flinch (or lack thereof) very quickly. If you're by yourself at the range, load the mags you've got with a different mix of live rounds and dummy rounds for each mag. Throw them in your range bag and randomly pull a mag to shoot. It'll help keep you honest.
- Dry fire. Do lots of it. Get to a point where you can press the trigger without disturbing the sights, and once you're there repeat the shit out of that. You'll find that there's all sorts of stuff you can practice dry, but for now just focus on a good trigger press and good form.
>>
File: 1380927768594.gif (319 KB, 450x270) Image search: [Google]
1380927768594.gif
319 KB, 450x270
>>27787915
>the fucking recoil is going to make the barrel tilt slightly upwards.
The slide doesn't start moving back until the bullet has exited the muzzle. So, no. The tilting action of the barrel will not impact accuracy.
See: https://youtu.be/7vdBmsC4VCc?t=42s

>and to think otherwise would prove how much of a fucking idiot you are
Why so defensive? In this case, you're demonstrably wrong. So what's your next move? Will you double down and call me more names while claiming how there is some rare exception situation where you aren't fully wrong? Will you actually admit fault, apologize for the rude attitude, and bow out of the conversation gracefully? My money is on a one word reply to this post and then the sound of crickets.
>>
>>27787756
>Do wall drills.

wuts dat?
>>
>>27788003
Faggot
>>
>>27787763
>It's so fucking easy to be dead accurate with a pistol it's embarrassing

I'm low and to the right with my MP Shield subcompact 9mm.
>>
>>27788037

Not him, but:

http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill

It's a good suggestion.
>>
>>27788039
Classic!
>>
>>27788049
>http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill

In other words, pull the trigger but do not make the sights move up or down or to the right or left?

Sights stay completely still while you pull the trigger (dry fire)?
>>
>>27787661
>any advice

Holy fuck how much of an attention whore are you?

You've got all the useful advice you need, just practice and quit using /k/ as your blog

>7 fucking yards
>trying that fucking hard
>>
>>27788108

Yes, that's the ideal result.
>>
>>27787739

I thought it was the first crease of the finger?
>>
>>27788108
Your sight picture should stay perfectly still. It's not that this skill in itself is that useful, since you'll lose the sight picture as soon as recoil flips the muzzle up, but it's a really good test of proper trigger control. It can also train you to pull the trigger by feel/instinct, which will help you to overcome your instinct to flinch.
>>
OP here.
Thanks guys, I'll take all this to mind for my next range visit.
If I had the cash, time, and land, I'd shoot WAY more.
>>
>>27788116
>asking for help is now a blog.
I guess I should go ask China if they're hiring for some fiddycent positions.
>>
>>27787844
What I meant by that was, clearly your idea of "dead accurate" isn't the same as people who can actually shoot well.

Sheltered. As in, you've never seen anyone who can shoot well, so you assume you can and that it's easy.

But hey, it's just something tens of thousands of people spend 20+ hours a week trying to get good at for their job. Easy, right?
>>
>>27787811
Flipped for lefties I imagine?
>>
>>27788003
Not that guy.

Wouldn't the force of the bullet being propelled forward cause the gun to move backwards? Acording to physics.
I'd imagine some movement before the bullet exits the barrel atleast.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.