[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
M4 iron sights tips
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: M4A1_ACOG.jpg (24 KB, 501x202) Image search: [Google]
M4A1_ACOG.jpg
24 KB, 501x202
Okay so I have to qualify with an M4 before I can deploy and I completely failed shooting with iron sights last week. I'm in the Air Force so I last time I shot a gun was an m16 years ago in BMT sadly.

Anyone have any tips before the next time I go? I did okay shooting with the M68 optic but on iron sights NONE of my bullets hit the silhouette or even the target. It's like I was shooting blanks.
>>
>>27784824
also the targets are 300 meters away.

I'm not sure how else to prepare for next time as I don't have any weapons at home or any firing range in my backyard.
>>
>>27784824
How do you suck that bad? CATM couldn't even get you on paper?
Line the tip of the post up in the center of the peep, your eye should naturally do this for you. Focusing on the front post, superimpose the whole sight picture over the little silhouette of the man, squeeze trigger. I'm assuming your trigger control is alright because you could hit shit with the aimpoint.
What afsc are you?
>>
>>27784824
focus on breathing+trigger control+sight picture/sight alignment=dead paper
>>
>>27784824
no impact, no idea

>git gud
>>
File: length_of_pull.jpg (80 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
length_of_pull.jpg
80 KB, 600x750
>>27784824
Don't drink caffeine the day you're shooting, and make sure you're well hydrated.

When you get your M4, make sure you have a proper length of pull with the stock, which means putting your elbow at a 90 degree angle and being able to rest the stock on your bicep (assuming you aren't massively ripped). If you are wearing body armor with soft armor, possibly collapse the stock by one notch if you need to.
>>
>>27784824
focus on the front sight let the rear fall into line with the front not the other way around.
Breathe, dont jerk the trigger ride the reset
fire at the bottom of your breath
make as many points of contact with the rifle as you can
>>
>>27784894
Put you support hand out as far forward as possible while still being comfortable for you. Further away on the handguard means better stability for static fire. Pull the rifle back into your shoulder with your support hand.

Slow trigger squeeze and slow release. You want to do it baby's first time style where you hold down the trigger after firing and slowly release the trigger enough to hear the reset click.

If you're on a pop-up range, move your eye first, then your rifle when a new target comes up.
>>
>>27784925
>left arm on handguard
>left hand gripping behind FSB
>right hand on grip
>tip of cock stabilizing magwell
>spare battery for M68 in anus
>>
>>27784863
The instructor was baffled. Removed me from the course because I was wasting a lot of time with all the chances I got.

I really don't want to lose this deployment.

>Line the tip of the post up in the center of the peep
Please explain what the "post" is. Remember I have zero experience with guns other than that single day of BMT where we actually got to shoot.

I'm in Personnel

>>27784894
>Don't drink caffeine

This might have been a factor since I was on strong caffeine supplements that morning to stay awake in the classroom portion.

The rest of your posts seem very informative. I'll save them in my phone for next time I get a shot at this.

>>27784880
I think my breathing and trigger control is fine. I just don't know how to get the "sight picture" I guess. All I see is a small blurry target that I'm supposed to aim at. I'm surely doing it wrong.
>>
File: usmcSightpicture.jpg (78 KB, 695x598) Image search: [Google]
usmcSightpicture.jpg
78 KB, 695x598
>>27784967
>>
File: 1414699675694.gif (510 KB, 480x228) Image search: [Google]
1414699675694.gif
510 KB, 480x228
>Mfw this thread
>Mfw he can't shoot a rifle and he's in the military
>Mfw all the jokes about the air force are true
>>
>>27784967
So all you see is a target in the middle of a circle?
>>
how the fuck do you FAIL with iron sights, does the chair force even have to qaul at 500?
>>
>>27784824
Here's hoping you're a fobbit.
>>
>>27784967
Alright, I shouldn't have been a dick. I'm also sf so I get butthurt about everything. The peep is the little hole in the rear sight, the post is the post on your front sight, the middle thing sticking up between the two "wings". Easiest way to do this IMO is line up the front sight post so the top is in the center of the rear sight. Once you have that picture move the entire thing so you are bisecting the target, cut the little man in half horizontally, half of him above the post, half being blocked by the post. That's the picture you want every time. Apply constant pressure to the trigger while mainting that picture, you should at least be able to get a decent group on paper, catm will make adjustments so its hitting where you aim. Consistency is key, always have the same sight picture.
>>
>>27785043
Every range ive shot at is simulated 500m. They take the target and just shrink it down.
>>
>>27785013
It's true these days. The Air Force is suffering from all the SJW/PC lazy pacifists who just join for college benefits it attracts.

We spend more time learning to not offend people than fighting. We do tons of Computer based training which are brutal slide shows. OR we do a lot of feel good "morale" actives like it's middle school.

I'm not sure how the other branches are in their day to day life but I feel like we're in for a rude awakening if something crazy happened that required the Air Force's immediate power.

I felt like shit leaving the course not knowing how to shoot. All I could think about it how I'm in the military but I've spent more time doing slide shows and volunteering for random community crap than training to shoot a gun.

>>27785004
thanks

>>27785040
somewhat. it's a blur and not as clear as >>27785004
Maybe I'm not looking at the rear sight properly.

>>27785057
Thanks SF bro! This makes a lot more sense to me.

This might sound stupid but are there any video games that are "accurate" in portraying iron sights shooting? I want to try practicing a little in some way.
>>
>>27784824
Wait, did you zero when you shot on irons before trying to shoot last time? Or did somebody just hand you an M4 with BUIS adjusted to a mystery setting?
>>
>>27784824
1. Make sure it's fucking zeroed and make sure you know your hold overs and/or adjustments at the ranges based on that zero.

2. Just put the tip of the front sight in the dead center of the circle.

3. Imagine your point of aim as a small circle and your goal is to hit dead center of that tiny circle.

4. Cut that circle in half with the front sight.

5. Don't be a faggot, you could rest the stock of that AR on your face and pull the trigger, would be uncomfortable but you would be fine. Ignore completely anything in your mind about what happens when you pull that trigger (source of recoil anticipation/eye squinting/etc).

6. Breathe out at a normal pace through your nose.

7. Slowly squeeze that trigger until it breaks with the full knowledge your bullet is going to hit dead center of your tiny little circle.

I got my mother, who had never shot a gun in her life, to 6 MOA standing, 3ish MOA prone and driving tacks from the bench. She was having a blast and is in her late 50s. It's simple, you got it.
>>
>>27785193
Reversed 2 and 3 because retarded.
>>
>>27785173
>>27785193
What do you mean by Zeroed? Don't I need to actually hit the target before I can adjust it to zero?

I couldn't even zero in because none of my shots hit the paper. I believe only 2 of my 30 shots during the entire session hit and it was a target I wasn't aiming at. The whole time it seemed like I was shooting blanks.

>Or did somebody just hand you an M4 with BUIS adjusted to a mystery setting?
Pretty much. We all got random rifles, shot, then calibrated, shot again then calibrated, Everyone else seemed to do fine.

Could me being a left handed shooter have played a role in my poor performance?
>>
>>27785249
If your armory has a laser boresight (pretty common in the Army), then I suggest trying to use it to get a generalized sight picture. It won't be perfect, but you should at least be on paper with a laser obtained zero.

Being a lefty shouldn't affect shooting accuracy.
>>
>>27785119
Im the sf guy, I agree entirely with your summation about training. I did 6 sarc classed this year and only one day of firing. We do more training on how not to hurt someones feelings than how to do our fuckin job.

I'm pretty sure call of duty and battlefield have accurate sight pictures. Its kind of a hard thing to mess up.

Its fucked that catm kicked you out. If you were hitting with the m68 they should've been able to get you on paper, or at least see where your shots were going. Remember the only thing that should be crystal clear is the front sight post
>>
>>27785249
I mean I doubt you are that bad at shooting, even if your skills and knowledge are dustier than fuck all. First thing I would suspect is a bad zero or not knowing your rifle's zero. Sounds like you get handed a rifle that has been zeroed already. At what range?

My advice still stands, you should be on paper. When you say calibrated, do you mean adjust your zero?

Google "how to zero an ar15" and read some articles and watch some videos. That will tell you everything you need to know on that front.
>>
>>27785119
>Maybe I'm not looking at the rear sight properly.
don't look AT the rear sight at all, you look through it and focus on the front sight tip
>>
>>27785290
>At what range?

we shoot 300 meters
>When you say calibrated, do you mean adjust your zero?

>>27785278
It's fucked up. I wish the Air force would become more like the military instead of a college/corporation.

yes
>>
>>27785290
>When you say calibrated, do you mean adjust your zero?
yes
>>
>>27785591
Air force calls Zeroing calibrating
it's like you want us to make fun of you
>>
>>27785591
So were you not able to get the rifle zeroed/on-paper or just couldn't hit shit after that during trial(s)?

If you couldn't get zeroed and then moved on to shoot on the trial(s) then you were fucked before you ever started and the people who instructed that course are retards too.
>>
>>27786665
>So were you not able to get the rifle zeroed/on-paper or just couldn't hit shit after that during trial(s)?
I couldn't hit a single thing the whole time. I believe I'm supposed to at least hit the paper for them to make proper adjustments but they had no idea where my bullets where going since it wasn't on paper or the big green silhouette they put up eventually.

The instructors decided to continue but make me shoot iron sight only to see if I'll eventually hit something and I didn't.

I'm not sure if there were some kind of tweaks that could have been made to make me hit paper or not
>>
>>27786727
Did any of the instructors shoot the rifle?
>>
>>27787992
nope, they didn't. One of them held it and kinda aimed with it after my final fuck up but didn't fire any shots.
>>
>>27788186
Shit, that's one of the first things they should have done. From a troubleshooting perspective, that would be swapping out a questionable part with a known good part.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.