[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I bought Higurashi parts 1 and 2 on Steam yesterday, and installed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: QUALITY ARTWORK.jpg (190 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
QUALITY ARTWORK.jpg
190 KB, 640x480
So I bought Higurashi parts 1 and 2 on Steam yesterday, and installed them on my Debian laptop. Unfortunately, when I tried to change the resolution of the game via the options menu, the whole thing froze up and I had to close it. Now the game won't start at all. I've tried deleting local content, verifying the game cache and even tried poking around in the game files to reset the resolution via a config file, but nothing is working (doesn't help that half the files seem to be composed entirely of triangles). Only thing I can think of doing now is getting a refund, re-buying the game and reinstalling it.

What do, /jp/? By the way, sorry if this is the wrong board, but you guys seem to be the go-to guys for VNs.
>>
>>15143340
just reinstall it
You don't have to refund and rebuy it

All things considered, it's probably Debian that is the problem
Jap games run like shit on linux
>>
>>15144147
I tried reinstalling it, it didn't work. But thanks anyway.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Debian was the problem.
>>
>>15143340

>Debian

That's your problem.
>>
>>15143340
Why would you buy a game through steam that the rest of us played for free ten years ago?
>>
>>15145020
There's nothing wrong with supporting the developer by purchasing their (admittedly dated) products.
I don't know how the translator/steam cuts work for this title, however.
>>
File: 2954786592.jpg (29 KB, 344x393) Image search: [Google]
2954786592.jpg
29 KB, 344x393
>>15143340
Most Linux "ports" sold via Steam are actually just the Windows version with a (dated) version of Wine wrapped around it. I wouldn't be surprised if you get better results by running the original version with a recent Wine build.

Anyway, without some sort of dump, I can't help you. I'm not that familiar with Steam - does it maybe store crash-related information somewhere? If not, try starting Steam via command line (probably by just typing "steam" in your terminal emulator), and see what happens when you start the game.

That aside, by what train of thought would you first install Debian, and then decide to use Steam?
>>
>>15145100
Simply put I have no idea what I'm doing. I installed Debian on the recommendation of my computer expert friend who knows all about these sorts of things. I on the other hand am absolutely terrible with computers and require said friend for any and all tech support. I do have a Windows PC so I might just install it on that and give up with the Linux installation, but being able to play on my laptop would be cool.

TLDR I have all the paranoia and general mental instability of a /g/oon but none of the actual knowledge.

Good lord I am a useless human being.
>>
>>15145251
For VNs generally you're best off just running it on windows, whether that be in a virtual machine on your Debian machine or on a machine running windows itself. I've pretty much completely switched to Linux but still keep a Win7 computer just for VNs and flash games and the like.
>>
>>15145251
Maybe he wants someone to depend on him.
Debian is well-known for "being" stable, but, by default, is not very accommodating to new users.
Nowadays, Linux Mint seems to be the go-to solution for switchers (or, common users in general). Give that a try if you're so inclined.

Another Anon made a guide for exactly this purpose. It's largely GUI-centric and simple to follow.
http://fglt.nl/guides/visual-novels-on-gnu-linux.html

For reference, I haven't yet encountered an application that flat out was unlaunchable. Granted, I don't play a lot of VNs.
>>
>>15145295
Thanks, I'll give the guide a read. As for Mint I actually quite like Debian even if it is difficult to use, so I'm in no rush to switch (I'd rather just learn to use Debian better if that makes sense).

Anyway, thanks everyone. You guys are sugoi.
>>
I ran the Steam version from Nyaa (actually the Windows version) in Wine-Staging on Arch and it worked fine. However, I didn't change the resolution (I didn't see the need, old game and small monitor.) Also >>15145100 it should be a legit Linux port, Mangagamer remakes a lot of their licensed games in Unity.
>>
The original version works perfectly with Wine. There is even a Linux version of Nscripter called ONscripter that can run Higurashi without any compatibility layers. No need to use the official release.
>>
I've had no problem playing the steam versions on Linux mint.
>>
>>15143340
>Debian

Why OP?
>>
>>15145433
Probably not cool enough for Slackware.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.