[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain what's so amazing about touhou games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (459 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
459 KB, 1280x1024
Can anyone explain what's so amazing about touhou games?

I read that it brings people to tears and that just makes no sense to me.
>>
I honestly don't know. I guess japanese are crazy
>>
I cried at Shinmyoumaru and at Yuyuko.
Music and pacing I'd say.
>>
>>14320681
>>14320686
I mean, sure, they are hard games with good music.

But tears?
>>
It's so hard that I cry out of frustration >:(
>>
>>14320680
Well you see, you have to catch these flying saucers/spirits/etc that are moving about while trying to avoid being hit by dots. Sometimes you take a risk to grab one before it leaves the scree and you get hit by a dot. Then you start to tear up.

Other times, you're playing through the game and you get nailed by something in stage 2. You start over, but you're already shaking, so you keep getting hit in the first 3 stages until you get frustrated and quit in a tearful fit.
>>
>>14320688
I cry easily when I listen to some good music, or a story reaches a satisfying conclusion.
In Yuyuko's case, the final spell with its own music is more than enough to make it happen. It's not even Yuyuko who is performing the spell card, it's the tree!
>>
>>14320686
Final bosses are so damn good, I know "cinematic" is a derogatory term around here, but I don't really know how to describe them otherwise.
That mix of music and spell card patterns, damn.

That fucking NANANA NA NA NA NA NANANAAA NANANANA NA! against Byakuren. To not mention the whole Okuu fight. Well, I don't try to it, but I'm the happiest when I play Touhou.

Even in LoLK despite spending hours dying over and over I couldn't help smiling all the time.
>>
>>14320686
Tiny 2hu's theme has brought me to tears before. The way it builds up gives you the sense that she's really fighting for respect.
>>
I just like cute girls
>>
2tiny
>>
>>14320680
the waifus.
>>
>>14320804
It's easy to get emotional when you're against the final boss.

Most of the bosses don't even have evil or bad motives, a good amount of them are fairly tragic.

Like take Junko for instance. I hate being on the ZUN defense force for her fight, but the mood was incredibly well set. Even with a smile on the entire fight, you could tell that she was fucking broken by her anger and sadness from her family's death. It was genuinely intimidating fighting her, especially since she was just fucking done with everything and went all out in an attempt to kill you. The spellcards, her expression, the music, it all fits together perfectly.
>>
Putting aside ZUN's ability to draw character art, his sense of artwork is in the combined arms of music, story, character concept and bullet patterns. Everything is carefully orchestrated together: the bullets in the stage are synched with the music beats, the boss attack names and patterns are each a piece of art with a motif.

Even without catching specific references, a lot of personality comes through in the bullet patterns. There are numerous OH SHIT evocations, like when the warning sirens blare when Okuu starts her spellcard, Shinmoumaru's "YOU get bigger!", Nitori immediately running away on first contact, Suwako's "let's play dare" or Clownpiece's "I am killing you with the flag of USA".

Now, whether any of those bring a person to tears is down to specifics. But there's definitely strong emotion to be had.
>>
>>14321360

For me, Junko's non-spellcard bullet patterns were the most intimidating. It really expresses her nature: she's refines things. That was relevant to plot and it's also why her attacks are ludricrous walls with pixel-perfect gaps: "this is the purest essence of bullet hell". Then that spellcard where it feels like she's imploding the whole world upon you? Shiversssss
>>
>>14321360
damn, I love touhou but I never really saw depth like that. now that you mention it though its pretty amazing a story can be told with patterns.
>>
>>14320680
Short answer because people like it ironically and because autists look way too into shooting games made by a middle aged japanese alcoholic, IE >>14321360

The long answer is that there isn't really a way to easily explain how and why people with mental disorders react emotionally to dumb shit. Don't get me wrong, I like Touhou, but people take it too far instead of just having fun playing fun games and looking at fanart of the cute characters
>>
>>14327739
fucking secondary
>>
>>14329011
fucking secondary
>>
Autists getting emotionally attached to the characters, themes and music, happens with any other piece of overrated media with a large fanbase actually.
>>
>>14327739
I think the actual autist here is you getting so damn mad about people enjoying stuff more than you do.
>>
>>14329065
fucking secondary
>>
>>14320680
They indeed do bring people to tears.
However, it's not the story that does it. Nor is it the art or the music.
It's the frustration of dying yet again to the final boss's last spell when they're out of lives and failing to unlock extra stage once again.

If you don't care about Touhou, the games won't bring you to tears though. Maybe some doujin manga work if you end up liking them but certainly not the games.
>>
File: 653354675547.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
653354675547.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
>>14327739
>people like it ironically
>>
Because of shit like this.
>>
I want to cum inside Reimu.
>>
>>14332277
Thanks for this high quality post
>>
>>14332628
But I really want to ejaculate inside her vagina.
>>
>>14320680
Waifus
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.