[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /jp/ think of vaporwave & future funk? I mean
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /jp/ - Otaku Culture

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
File: a2908947465_10[1].jpg (445 KB, 975x975) Image search: [Google]
a2908947465_10[1].jpg
445 KB, 975x975
What does /jp/ think of vaporwave & future funk?

I mean it's not authentically japanese but it barrows heavily from retro otaku culture.
>>
>>14309736
Isn't vaporwave that hipstery music that coffee shop Macbook owners listen to?
>>
>>14309750
no that's seapunk
>>
File: 1440380731945.jpg (808 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1440380731945.jpg
808 KB, 768x1024
>>14309736
Time for some proto-miku.
https://youtu.be/y0rxpQI0ZbY
>>
Future funk is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6657PH9gQ
>>
I like most future funk stuff. Vaporwave is kinda boring to me tho
>>
File: cover.jpg (197 KB, 751x751) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
197 KB, 751x751
I like this album, which was apparently made by the same artist as OP. If that's what 'vaporwave' is then I like it.
>>
>>14309736
it's the most embarrassing thing i can think of
>>
>>14309828
it's not vaporwave
>>
File: 1415414624281.png (1 MB, 1280x1908) Image search: [Google]
1415414624281.png
1 MB, 1280x1908
I feel kind of bad about liking it, but I do really enjoy both genres. I dislike the particular album in your OP but some other of Macross' work is nice. I napped once while listening to Floral Shoppe, that was a nice experience
>>
>>14309830
It's all the same shit. Only mild differences in where they get their samples from, and maybe future funk is more dancey or some shit, but that's basically the same shit.

This stuff has nice texture and shit but ehh, tends to sound very same-y with maybe a couple exceptions like OPN. And a lot of the time they hardly change a bloody thing from the original. The aesthetic side of it is also all really same-y and stupid with the google translate japanese, and all meaning or whatever it had has been lost through overuse and abuse of it.
>>
99.999999999999% trash but it gave us especia so who cares
>>
Viper the rapper
>>
It's for people who reblog gifs of anime from before they were born, that they never watched.
>>
>>14310081
I love Viper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4BvnHtfMTk&feature=youtu.be&t=2m9s
>>
future funk is literally just poorly done disco edits made by weebs. i've suggested listening to actual good stuff in that style to fans before but if it doesn't have some shitty 90s anime "aesthetic" they don't care
>>
File: 1440017957101.jpg (173 KB, 786x576) Image search: [Google]
1440017957101.jpg
173 KB, 786x576
>>14309736
I have really polarizing feelings about it,

I really hate the fact that they absolutely bastardize the samples, and that the vast majority of the music is uninspired garbage

I also hate that in most cases the fan base (at least from every single person I've met), is either
A. an absolute memetard spouting A E S T H E T I C everywhere
B. acts really pretentious because they just happened to see this ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdpP0mXOlWM ) video

I once asked a person in IRC why they liked vaporwave, and they literately gave me the almost word for word response that Hong Kong Express had been quoted saying in that video, as if he couldn't come with his own opinion

that all being said, there are things that I really like about it:

I really like 80's esc media and music, things like city pop and (good) synthwave, I really enjoy listening to.

I also really like when themes of corruption, distortion, and otherworldly abstract things are presented in art. These themes are brought up in glitch art and a lot cyberpunk esc distopian stuff, and are defiantly present in vaporwave. For these purposes, I really enjoy the imagery of vaporwave, but as long as it is done well (none of that mirroring two images of an anime girl, Arizona tea, and N64 bullshit). The pic I posted with this I feel is a pretty good example of a vaporwavey image.

You may ask, "well the music is 80's "infuenced" and corrupted to all hell, why don't you like it?". Well, the issue is that whats been done to it is really uncreative. A lot of these artists will just slow a track down and add really simple edits to it, something literately anyone could do in 5 minutes, and some artists wont even edit the track! There have been some YUNG BAE tracks I have heard that are so close to the sample music, it might as well be an re-upload. There is a lot of missed opportunity in this genre, people could be making really complex interesting and well though out orchestrations with lots of hidden meaning and possibly interesting backstories. It could range from very avant garde to very poppy and catchy in nature, as long as plenty of thought and work went into it. Artists won't bother though, because its "trendy" and easy to shit out a trash track or two with little to no work put into it, and then be pretentious about it.

Vaporwave was never alive, and it had never died, it was stillborn
>>
>>14310990
Post some of the tracks you like.
Why are you namefagging?
>>
>>14310995
I like a lot of the stuff Hong Kong Express Did, especially this album he cooped on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9L4q-0Pi4E

>Why are you namefagging?
in-case anyone replys to me, why else
>>
I remember really liking it when I first discovered it though. Then it got too obnoxious so I had to turn elsewhere. I still like the internet type of electronic music that is being produced these days and I try to diversify my avenues within that sphere as much as possible. I really do enjoy retro Japanese stuff, but it doesn't have to mean slowed down pop songs necessarily.
>>
>>14310990
"it's just diana ross slowed down"
Gets me everytime. I still like it though.
>>
I fucking hate Sharon Apple and her "music"
>>
File: 1423263666715.jpg (61 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1423263666715.jpg
61 KB, 500x400
Depends what you are looking at. A lot of it is people doing it for memes, shits and giggles but at the same time you have guys like me, HKE, Chungking Mansions and some of the other guys on Dream Catalogue who are attempting to bring some musical legitimacy to the genre by writing original sampleless stuff or doing very extravagant sample work.

tl;dr you it's like any other genre, you have good and bad.
>>
>>14310990
>just slow a track down and add really simple edits to it
still good, music doesn't have to be complex )))
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RFunvF0mDw
>>
>>14309736
What does /jp/ think of the OP album?

(it's the only relevant thing to the genres I've listened to...I think)
>>
>>14311623
I like it very much.
>>
>>14311623
I found it more enjoyable to dig up and listen to the source tracks.
>>
>>14309750
I know you think you're being clever, but Macbook owners aren't hipsters anymore, and going to a coffee shop with one is nothing special. Mostly just university students.
>>
Listen to actual genres like ambient instead.
>>
>>14312121
ambient is not a genre
>>
>>14310990
>tfw I'm in that video
I don't think much vaporwave succeeds in capturing those themes, but it can be enjoyable regardless. Most of the dreamcatalog guys and others doing a similar thing use samples sparingly or tweak them until they're unidentifiable. It's not always good, but at least you don't have to deal with the nagging feeling that you're listening to a music thief. Usually I like the polish future funk producers apply to the old songs, but it's basically ruined any time you recognize a sample.
>>
File: computerman.jpg (179 KB, 800x640) Image search: [Google]
computerman.jpg
179 KB, 800x640
>>14312643
I generally enjoy it when i recognize a sample, it usually leads me to try to find it. I discovered some cool artists like Anri this way.
>>
File: 1435436908791.jpg (680 KB, 2559x1439) Image search: [Google]
1435436908791.jpg
680 KB, 2559x1439
>>14311076
well, that's a big meme too, but you know, it not necessarily the simplicity of the edits I was trying to get at, but more the creativity. I thought that track on Floral Shoppe was ok.

>>14311231
I agree, good music doesn't have to be complex, like I said or maybe forgot to clearly say in my post, its the creativity that I desire.

>>14311156
I agree with you on this, there is some good work being done on the dream catalogue, but there is a lot of bad out there.

>>14311623
I dislike its disrespect for the samples, and I also heared that MACROSS, or maybe it was YUNG BAE are complete assholes in person, but more or less I was like >>14312104

>>14312643
I see where your coming from. I think future funk is probably the worst offender of music thief, the song sound nice, but when you find the sample, I agree, the song is ruined.

>>14312999
I also find finding samples songs really enjoyable, but not with stuff like vaporwave and the like, as I feel they typically don't do much with it, so I would much rather listen to the source material most times. I would be lying if I if I said I didn't find some good artists through vaporwave though
>>
>>14312643
Also, would you mind sharing who you were in that video?
>>
>>14313404
Nobody important, just a small producer he follows. You see me on his stream towards the end of the video.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwM12JUjw3zYpv6o6SR8ExOFTyLWDVYwA
>>
I like it a lot, but I wish artists would credit their samples. It's a real pain trying to find music that's often better than what it's been mixed into, especially when the fans often don't know nor care.
>>
Vaporwave was ok in the beginning before it became a meme

I still like future funk but like >>14316047
said I hate people like Yung Bae who take a song, add minimal tweaks and stamp their own name on it. Not cool.

Theres stuff like this I come across in a while and I dig it though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzxGPit_8UQ
>>
>>14311015
Ret go draw ugly korean girls
>>
>>14309980
Future Funk is more of an extension of house music (and far more often than not just outright sampling funk/disco music to make their tracks), where Vaporwave is much more about the "aesthetic" the music brings, and they often sample "retro" things, but "retro" to them means mid 80's to early 90's; they don't sample just music either. Television and Radio ads are popular with some subgenres of Vaporwave, which I personally find sorta odd.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwpHj5JcC2g
>>
It's shit and you should feel ashamed for shilling this meme in 2015.

Not otaku culture. Take it to /mu/.
>>
>>14318437
>no true otaku
>>
if you want to listen to 80's music, just listen to 80's music.
>>
>>14318515
Sorry, that's not pretentious, stolen, and popular tumblr-meme enough for me. 80's music is lame but this is cool because ironic (not really but kinda) and superfluous katakana and shitty regurgitated web art.

I can't brag to my shitbag art college hipster friends about it unless it's obscure-sounding even though it's not really and it's been dead for years now and it was nothing more than shitty house and plunderphonics to begin with. I don't actually like music; I just like memes.
>>
>>14318552
You seem like a very bitter person
>>
>>14309781
YEEESSSS
>>
>>14310183
Comp always lose
>>
>>14318617
he might be bitter; but he's right
>>
>>14309736

It introduced me to many japanese funk artists. So its good in my eyes.
>>
File: 46.jpg (84 KB, 652x671) Image search: [Google]
46.jpg
84 KB, 652x671
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idipMrfAZHk
>>
>>14309736
Vaporwave is the only thing I hate more than Lolicore.
>>
File: 1414802460105.gif (670 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1414802460105.gif
670 KB, 500x375
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHsLaZ_OM4
>>
>>14318437
>>14315996
>before it became a meme
it was always a meme, it literally started on /mu/ as a joke genre
>>
>>14320655
only total plemks hate lolicore
>>
>>14318552
When something is 'dead', there are 2 groups of people who still consume it: the people who were really, really late to find it, and the people who genuinely like it.
>>
>>14310183
oh shit, guts' rage. Fun game.
>>
>>14318515
I like listening to 80s rock
>>
>>14310990
I love images like the pic you posted but I have no clue how or where to find them.
>>
>>14318552
Play some DC go go music then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdKC-sxNL1M
And yes that is a remix of woody woodpeckers theme.

Go Go has the Same principles of vaporwave with their sampling of songs.
>>
>>14310990
>90% of everything is shit
I truncated your post.
>>
I really like it. It actually helped me get super into 80's jpop.
>>
>>14321041
I too, unironically like 80's music.
>>
I'm not sure what I think, but these guys think it should also be a video game genre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poQKwEowTOo
>>
File: Tsukiko.jpg (70 KB, 296x413) Image search: [Google]
Tsukiko.jpg
70 KB, 296x413
>>14316347
>>14318432
these are comfy
>>
>borrows heavily from retro otaku culture
Putting japanese words into your album and songs isn't borrowing from otaku culture. Vaporwave has little to do with it. Also, vaporwave attacks consumerism in many cases while otaku culture embraces it.
>>
Meme music.
>>
File: UNTZBirdy.gif (484 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
UNTZBirdy.gif
484 KB, 320x180
I recently got into it and honestly really enjoy it. I've been a depressive state for a good half a year now, and I listening to this type of music has helped me feel better about life. Maybe it's the nostalgic feel of the music, or just the overall happy tone most of the songs have. It all just makes me feel good and happy to still be alive.
This is one of my personal faves, along with >>14309781 & >>14320637
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BSJAAo1uNY
>>
>>14329765
Denpa is meme music.

You guys(commonly) and /a/ like it too.
>>
>>14338978
It wasn't always like that. That didn't happen until after it got popular.
>>
>Meme music
>Meme music
>Meme music
This is why I avoid electronic music. If I start enjoying my Lazerhawk or whatever I have to start wondering if it's good or innovative or if I somehow have bad taste or whatever bullshit is associated with it. Electronic music will never mature if it continues to be dominated by people more concerned with publicly validating their artistic expression than simply creating compositions they find enjoyable and meaningful. Everything has to be a movement with these people.
>>
>>14344906
I understand the sentiment but you don't understand the situation. Vaporwave is, literally, as in not figuratively, a meme genre spawned by /mu/ that caught on because of "e-journalists" taking it seriously.
>>
>>14344906
I know how you feel,

I guess it's best just to not care
>>
>>14344906
I listen to electronic music since I like the sound of good synths, why does what anonymous individuals on the internet have to say about it matter?
>>
>>14344813
What wasn't always like that?

I'm not a fan of it and Denpashit has always been a thing in here and /a/. It always felt super forced into all places, hell, I might even argue things like im@s and SIF are borderline Denpa.
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.