[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go on holiday >somehow it never dawned on me that these
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 224x213) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 224x213
>go on holiday
>somehow it never dawned on me that these people live in their own worlds with their own languages
>realize I talk with people from around here
>they all speak fluent English

Anons, how did you personally come to learn English if your country doesn't speak it?

How well can you speak English compared to your writing?
>>
File: american infanoj.jpg (507 KB, 1038x539) Image search: [Google]
american infanoj.jpg
507 KB, 1038x539
We speak English pretty well here, but there is a big population of Spanish and Chinese speakers. Esperanto is becoming more popular among our virgin youth.
>>
>>56800789
English is pretty much a global language by now and everyone everywhere learns it.
>>
>>56800856
not really, when i was in italy and france you guys were resisting the big anglo cucking pretty well, i wouldnt hear much english as i walked around, wouldnt have ads in half english half native language and i met people who couldnt speak it.

It was quite niced compared to nordick cuntrys where everyone and their mother speaks fluent english and i felt like i was just in another city in my cunt.

>>56800841
how well do younger generations of hispanics retain their spanish language? in a few generations should they become a majority it would be strange to see a country with an official language that is outspoken by another
>>
>>56800964
Italians overall are pretty bad when it comes to speaking another language, mostly due to a shitty school system and the popularity of dubbed films and tv shows.

It's a blessing and a curse.
>>
>>56800964
The United States doesn't have an official language, but some Republican states have implemented English as their official languages.

A lot of children of immigrants lose their language, but with Spanish speakers it's a slower process. I think there are two main reasons, the main reason being that there is a constant flow of new immigrants from Latin America who keep the need and advantage of Spanish alive.
The second reason is that we live in a more globalized world, and families taking their American citizen children to South America/Caribbean, helps keep the Spanish alive in the new generation.
But overall the chances of Spanish being retained is pretty low in the long term.
Esperanto on the other hand, will eventually dominate the world, inshallah.
>>
we're all aussies with proxies m8
>>
>>56801072
though desu you could say that of any anglo countrys too, how many people can speak another language after studying it for how long in our school systems?

>>56801096
is there an advantage to having an official language?

>esperanto
>2million world wide speakers
please explain how this will expand

>>56801214
please argie tell me how you came to know english
>>
Is this an expansion from this thread? >>56795293

Because I'd gladly participate again but I really need to sleep.
>>
>>56800841
>Esperanto
Pretty much learnt half of the language in a single day
I guess I could dedicate a second day some time.
>>
File: 1458589482698.jpg (36 KB, 669x663) Image search: [Google]
1458589482698.jpg
36 KB, 669x663
>>56800964
Hello, as someone who is white and a minority in their own city let me tell you about "spanish youths n shiet"

>how well do young generations retain spanish

Fully. Their parents who cross the border do their best to teach good values and "the American way" but never get them. For some odd reason, the youths are terrible. They form gangs, speak spanish to everyone around them even if no one understands them. Adopt black culture here then stop going to school and usually at this point just strip abandoned buildings of copper wire or find an untimely demise in a gang war. It is strange seeing Spanish overtake english, here at a Wendeys then sign for some promo food was in spanish first, then english just to paint a picture.

>something about Esperanto and official language

If english was the offical language of my state (Texas) then it would make Spanish families have to learn the language well enough to get government benefits and maybe intergrate instead of trying to Mexicanize everything. No one speaks Esperanto here, if you asked 1000 people here in Houston (including me) Only 1 person would know what that language was, and that would be me.
>>
>>56801492
yes i found it very interesting the direction the thread took so i decided to make a thread about it

>>56801574
oh so an official language is good for shit like that. thats a bit strange that youd let people in who cant communicate with the majority of your country
>>
>>56800789
> Anons, how did you personally come to learn English if your country doesn't speak it?
It's taught in schools and I picked up English literature out of curiosity as a teen, then went on with movies, series etc. The internet offers an easily accessible wealth of information compared to what my parents had to learn from, too.
> How well can you speak English compared to your writing?
A bit sluggish at first, but about as well once I get into it.
>>
>>56801557
Esperanto has no change.
I am mostly joking about my support.
While it is an ugly Latin looking language, it's idea is nice. And they have some pretty cool autistic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-eA1U68d60
>>
>>56801574
>the youths are terrible. They form gangs
>For some odd reason
When your country doesn't have a unified culture, but encourages special snowflakes and individuality, people only gather in groups of similars. It's the same with second or third generation Muslims in Europe: They never integrated, they don't feel part of here nor there, and they can only resort to tribal-like bands. The solution is providing education, a unifying local culture and citizen participation in public matters.
>>
>>56801924
This. It is shameful that unified cultures are now viewed as inherently isolationist or xenophobic because muh individuality.
>>
Over here, we've been taught English since Kindergarden, in high school, we have intensive English on Saturdays, even though, the average Mexican student can't learn shit and it's not interested about it, the ones like me usually get in these type of websites to interact with foregeiners or becuase of the interest in knowing other cultures.
Personally, I had learn English ever since I was a little boy, most of my interests come from the American culture.
> How well can you speak English compared to your writing?

I can communicate without any issues with Americans whether talking to them or by writing, I struggle a little bit with Brits and Aussies because of the heavy accent.
>>
File: 1427746042171.jpg (7 KB, 213x237) Image search: [Google]
1427746042171.jpg
7 KB, 213x237
>>56801705
That's the thing. Our real immigration policies are very, very tough and it's quite hard to get in here legally. If my state had its own border patrol not regulated by the Fed we would not have the problems we face now.

>>56801924
I see your point my Moorish friend. However, in Texas the issue was when Mexicans were coming over they were warmly welcomed and we embraced their culture. They didn't even acknowledge ours for the most part (Texas has a very rich culture history) and just literally brought Mexico with them. They didn't integrate cause first, they are illegal so they immediately went to other illegals so naturally gangs occur. Second, nowadays they have to compete with blacks (Louisiana had a nasty hurricane like 8 years ago and we took in a TON of black "refugees" who hopped on Texas benefits and never went back) who are horribly disintegrated because there was such a small black population here before the refugees came.

At the end of the day it's the states fault for not looking out for its people and sucking the dick of the Fed. It's just nicer to let illegals and blacks leech of the state so the fed can subsidize those benefits and give Texas lots of $$$ for shitty "public works"

rant over.
>>
>>56801924
the sooner the USA does away with hyphenated identities the better. Spanish-american, african-american, irish-american, german-american, all that bullshit needs to go away and simply be called american

when you add a bunch of competing identities to a national you send cracks down its support columns
>>
>>56800789
>how did you personally come to learn English if your country doesn't speak it?
Internet
>>
>>56802533
how on earth did you learn an entire languge through the internet?

ebooks? videos? or did you just expose yourself constantly to music movies and shows?
>>
>>56802606
More like constant exposition to the language. It just happened.
>>
>>56800789
Started learning English in a course when I was 8, but I had to stop halfway at age 12. Video games and Internet also help a lot.

Don't know how good is my spoken English, as I've never talked to a native IRL, but from the few times I said something in those vocaroo threads I believe I just sound foreign to anglos
>>
>>56800789
my local high-school has been culturally enriched by Cambridge, and I was among the autistic souls who roamed the English Interwebs at its creation.

I apparently have a British accent when I talk to brits and an american one when I talk to muricans.
>>
>>56800789
>Anons, how did you personally come to learn English if your country doesn't speak it?
it just comes naturally through watching english language media and spending a lot of time on the internet, where the lingua franca is english. i can't really explain it any other way. the only thing school ever taught me about english is the difference between a and an, and the word 'jeopardy'. i still remember that clear as day.

>How well can you speak English compared to your writing?
pretty good. i have an american accent that sounds very natural, provided i reply with short but powerful responses. when i go into monologue mode you'll notice i'm not a native speaker, but even then it's still pretty good. i get compliments from native speakers all the time. there are plenty of foreign students around here so i use it plenty.
>>
>>56802606
English is everywhere. For that reason, the entry level is lowered because you can just torrent [literally anything] and study English in a context you're familiar with. Or watch some YouTube, read online news, forums, etc.

So it's not that bad for Mongolians or Kazakhs to learn English, because they can always get exposure from somewhere, even if English isn't the language their countrymen speak. 50% of learning a language is just exposure. The other half is remembering fiddly grammar rules and pronunciation keys, and if you're literate enough to write flash cards, that's not so bad either.

Learning a language for which there is little material available is very hard. So languages like Tibetan or whatever are difficult to learn, since you have little to employ and to compare your notes upon or with.
>>
>>56801557
i'm late to the show, but i have a question anyways.

how long ago was it? and how much have you retained from it to this day?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.