[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm curious about American states. What are the differences
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (461 KB, 2000x1237) Image search: [Google]
image.png
461 KB, 2000x1237
I'm curious about American states. What are the differences in terms of culture and nature between each state? I recently road tripped from Spain to Sweden and I noticed many minor differences along the way (and many stereotypes being true, especially about frenchies).

Redpill me on the states Americans
>>
File: untitled.jpg (52 KB, 1167x583) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
52 KB, 1167x583
>>62071248
This dialect map will give you a general overview of the cultural regions but of course there's more to it than that.

But there's basically three overarching mega cultural regions. Lighter color represents mixed regions, so North Carolina and Virginia tend to be a mix of both North-Eastern culture and southern culture.

Red= North-eastern culture (West coast is a transplant of North easterners originally)
South = Green
Midwest = blue
>>
>>62071387
What's the massive red spot in Illinois and Missouri for?
>>
>>62071497
that's probably where their big cities are
>>
File: 1455111693583.png (111 KB, 300x333) Image search: [Google]
1455111693583.png
111 KB, 300x333
>>62071387
>post the soda map to mock American dialects and culture
>mfw an americoon does it for me now
>>
Well, Swedebro, the further West you go, the more similar speech patterns become. The East Coast is characterized by who settled those regions hundreds of years ago while the further west the more generally "American" things feel. Bostonians sound very English as do other New Englanders while some speculate that the rough accent from New York comes from the Dutch. The South has quite a lot of Scottish influence. The Midwest and West is more true to the "melting pot" and that is the accent you would learn in school if you studied American English. It came about there and is actually fairly uncommon in the East and South unless you are young. If America were to colonize Mars they would all speak like they were from the West Coast.

>>62071387
This is rather idiotic. Californians actually speak more like Midwesterners except for the whole valley girl thing and a few slang words.
>>
>>62071886
>The East Coast is characterized by who settled those regions hundreds of years ago while the further west the more generally "American" things feel.

But the East Coast is the most American part of America
>>
>>62071387
The only real answer to this should be soda, pop doesn't make sense at all, coke is an abbreviation of coca-cola, and soft drink is not specific enough.
>>
>>62071886
>The South has quite a lot of Scottish influence.

Also I think you're getting the South and Appalachians confused

The Appalachians is basically full of only Scots-Irish descendants
>>
>>62071690
dialects are the easiest way to identify cultural regions tho
>>
>>62071248
Are there decent states with only white people in them and I can go to private school with all my dudebro white friends?
>>
>>62072099
The only dialects in America are generic, Appalachian, ebonics and the Tangier Island dialect.
>>
>>62072002
Not really. The East has a longer history, but each region has too much character to be thought of as generically American. America was born in the West with the Manifest Destiny.

>>62072048
As for your point here, I disagree. The Carolinas alone have quite a lot of Scotch influence in dialect and cuisine and this isn't just the Appalachian part of the Carolinas. Only the upper class in the South was English, while the Ulster Scots and Irish made up the people.
>>
File: 1464906288313.gif (342 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1464906288313.gif
342 KB, 400x400
>>62072137
>Appalachian accent

That's like saying "Mediterranean Accent"
>>
>>62071497
st. poois and shootcago
>>
The same difference that any big country has inside it. It's not like Saint Petesburg is the same thing as Vladivostok.
>>
>>62072589
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_English
>>
>>62073047
I guess this is why you shouldn't trust Wikipedia
>>
>>62072589
>>62073283
>he doesn't know the difference between accents and dialects
I think I prefer Wikipedia.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.