[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Weird things in American movies we ask our American friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 13796012017194.png (320 KB, 424x643) Image search: [Google]
13796012017194.png
320 KB, 424x643
ITT: Weird things in American movies we ask our American friends if they're true or not

>Constantly asking other people "are you OK?"
>Grocery bags without handles
>Hanging up the phone without saying good bye
>Telling a room full of people "can we have a private moment?" and then everyone except the person you want the moment with leaves, rather than simply you and that person walking out of the room
>Talking to complete strangers
>Voluptuous black waitresses at "diners" who call you endearing things while she pours you brewed coffee
>>
>>62064860
Yep, I too believe everything I see in movies.
>>
>yes
>wat
>yes
>occasionally
>yes
>in poor areas
>>
File: enhanced-2684-1427336918-9.jpg (96 KB, 625x418) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-2684-1427336918-9.jpg
96 KB, 625x418
>wearing shoes at home

eeww
>>
>>62064889
>>wat
Brown paper bags, without handles which they carry in their arms.
In Europe everyone either bring cotton bags or buy plastic ones. Both with handles without exception.
>>
1 yes
2 yes
3 yes
4 no, a tv troupe
5 yes
6 usually college-age girls or old ladies in 50s, black waitresses are kind of a minority desu
>>
>>62064889
the autist meant brown paper bags
>>
>a million little paper grocery bags
>you don't even bag them yourself
>fresh vegetables are only found in super expensive hipster food markets
????
>>
File: reallysaddog.jpg (22 KB, 272x245) Image search: [Google]
reallysaddog.jpg
22 KB, 272x245
>>62064933
>the autist
That is a bit uncalled for.
>>
>>62064913
>>62064933
Oh then yes. We have those for cold items although I almost always get plastic nowadays. The only time I bring my own is when I go to Aldi, all other stores give them out for free
>>
>>62064934
no
yes
no, there is a stall by the road outside of the community, he gets it from the farm every morning, although this is an exception
>>
File: 1413901602970.png (91 KB, 1030x629) Image search: [Google]
1413901602970.png
91 KB, 1030x629
>>62064925
>>62064889
But how do you know when the call is over? What of you misunderstand each other and you hear the other beginning a new question just as you hang up? That would be so awkward.
>>
>Are Sororities real?

>Do you try spy on the sororities?

>Does everyone prank eachother in college?

>Are there massive college frat parties where everyone drinks and listens to terrible 90s pop punk and then when you try to fuck your childhood sweetheart you end up dropping all your spaghetti but then learn who your true bros are?

>Is "Summer camp" actually a real thing?

>If yes, Why? What the fuck do you actually do there?
>>
>>62064860
>wearing shoes in your own house
>tipping at mc donalds or other fast food places
>clapping when a plane lands
>seriously thinking that they have the most freedom
>not speaking a second language
>getting shot/tasered by the police for no good reason
>>
>>62064977
I think they send their fat kids there
Like biggest loser for kids
>>
>>62064976
"talk to you later" *click* or some variation. Tbh I say bye on the phone but not everyone does.
>>
Is it true that colleges are just meme kindergardens for 20 something olds and no one actually studies?
>>
>>62064977
>>62064998

It's for getting you away from your parents so they can have some damn peace for a while.

Also, for city kids to learn outdoorsy stuff
>>
>>62064999
Oh well that's a sort of good bye then. I meant like how they do in the movies when they call and it's like
>blah blah i just found out he's the murder, meet me at Backstreet Boystreet 69 *click*
You know?
>>
>>62064976
you don't know for sure
so you just hang up

>hey see you at X
>yea i'll be there
hangs up*

>don't forget to get X
>yea what else
>that's it
>k
hangs up*

it's contextual based on personal relationship

ofc when you are talking to a marketer or IT or some professional they will always so do you have any other questions and is there anything else today

there are plenty of conversational clues, you don't have to perk your ear for "good bye" to end a phone conversation, it's crude and ineffective
>>
>>62064860
>>Hanging up the phone without saying good bye
My dad does exactly this and he's a Ukrainian immigrant
No Americans I know hang up the phone without saying bye in some way
>>
>clapping at cinema
>clapping at church
>clapping when you flush the toilet
>>
>>62065025
Yes. And they all wear flip-flop to class.
>>
>>62064860
>>Talking to complete strangers
I liked that when I was in US. It gives you a sense that you're not excluded even though you're there for a week or two.

I had daily conversations with everyone in the hotel elevator or restaurand and in the companies I visited, it was so causal and came without needing to breach any barriers.

>Voluptuous black waitresses at "diners" who call you endearing things while she pours you brewed coffee
I liked this as well. There is nothing like a big black woman bringing you bbq sauce beans and a burger while calling you honey and sugar each time she brings you a refill of water/coke.
>>
I hate this. All the time. "HOW AM I DOING?! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT ME"

Yes. I think they cost less to make?

Some people do this, some don't. I'd never do this. It's a habit.

>Telling a room full of people "can we have a private moment?" and then everyone except the person you want the moment with leaves, rather than simply you and that person walking out of the room
Anyone who does this is an asshole, but assholes do this.

Yes. I'm from Baltimore so I'm fine with/used to this, as long as you don't ask me "How's your day been?"

All the time. Mostly they just want you to tip better, and being nice is easy. They also want you to not rob them.
>>
>>62064860
true
not sure what you mean
sometimes
no
true
mostly true

>>62064977
>Are Sororities real?
Yes. They're also overwhelmingly blonde and white if you exclude the ethnic and academic sororities.
No
Depends on school.
>Are there massive college frat parties where everyone drinks and listens to terrible 90s pop punk and then when you try to fuck your childhood sweetheart you end up dropping all your spaghetti but then learn who your true bros are?
Not completely unrealistic
Dunno, parents too poor to send me.
>>
>>62065048
Is it just because they want tips or are they genuinely really nice?
>tfw no black gf who cooks you soul food and calls you honey tits
>>
File: 1467629939870.jpg (121 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467629939870.jpg
121 KB, 1440x1080
>>62065048
that sounds amazing
>tfw you will never experience this
>>
Is it true americans get shot regularly?
>>
File: grocery bag.jpg (6 KB, 194x260) Image search: [Google]
grocery bag.jpg
6 KB, 194x260
>>62065066
>not sure what you mean

In American films, people always hold grocery bags from the bottom and they don't have handles and or they are giant paper bags for god knows what reason.
>>
>>62065060
>Anyone who does this is an asshole, but assholes do this.
Is it mostly in work situations, like it's a boss doing that to his employees? I don't see how it works otherwise. How can you just take up a whole room like that and cast people out?
>>
>>62065041
How about one loud clap when you laugh hard? is that American?
>>
>>62064913
we have them but most people just use the plastic bags

which are FREE
>>
>>62065034
I mean it's kinda rude but it's not like it doesn't happen...

no it's not the norm
>>
>>62065076
Australians have a bit of an inverted sense of politeness so I'd think she was taking the piss
>>
Is the "TAXI!" while raising your hand true?
Can a tourist pull it of?
>>
yes red solo cups are a thing and a very convenient thing
>>
>>62065083
I see that in shows a lot too. Totally unrealistic.
>>
>>62064860
Yes
No
Casual: Yes. Formal: No
Only drama queens do this, so no
100% yes
In ghetto areas, yes. Classic Route 66 diners have white ladies ranging from qt to trailer trash. Both will call you "hun" or "sweetie"

>>62064934
>a million little paper grocery bags
Yes, or plastic. But they are bigger than you think
>you don't even bag them yourself
"Bag Boys" are hired to do this for you
>fresh vegetables are only found in super expensive hipster food markets
No, only the "100% locally grown with my own tears for 3 months" vegetables are sold there. Major grocery stores sell organic vegetables alongside modified vegetables

>>62064977
>Are Sororities real?
Yes, full of sluts
Don't need to when everyone gossips
Only frats/sororities and freshmen
These only happen in high school because you would have grown up alongside these people. College parties are for no-strings-attached fucking.
Yes, some go for a week or two to nearly the whole summer
>If yes, Why? What the fuck do you actually do there?
Depends on the camp and age. All involve aquatic activities, ghost stories, and s'mores
>>
Is it true that most of you are circumcized?
Are most houses really made of wood and drywall?
Do niggers really have this ghetto accent from the movies?
Do you own a gun?
Are there mandatory penis inspections for school boys?
Do all high schoolers wear cotton or baseball jackets all year even when it's snowing? Are baseball caps popular?
>>
Why do Americans listen to dance music the rest of the fucking world moved on from a decade ago?

Seriously Electro House, Trap and Trouse? What is it? 2006?

Seriously, the rest of the world moved to Psytrance and Psybreaks like 5 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_UZxMjh6c
>>
Some girls actually wears high heels at the college?
Are people in schools actually divided by groups? Like, there are the bully group, the nerd group, the sportsman group, the preppy group...
>>
>>62065075
No I think they're nice to some extent. You get to know them really quick but up to some level after that it's the same as in Europe some mental barriers you need to destroy to go further but the basic coversation and being friendly routine comes instantly.

It's also very easy to just talk to them normally and at some point your European heritage or culture comes up and they get impressed so easily with it that it's shocking. Anyway that breaks some walls as well due to sparking interest.

>>62065076
It's nice. I always tried to go to local places but I didn't experience a lot of it because all the companies always took me to expensive restaurants and I've been to those everywhere so it's nothing new.

What I was impressed with and wanted to go to every day was, for example a local bar with barbecue, burgers, salads and bbq beans. It wasn't a food chain and it was near a old interstate on the outskirts of the town. It was like from a movie and had fat waitresses with southers accent that called you honey and sugar.
10/10 desu.
>>
>>62065121
In Manhattan and LA maybe, other places I'm not so sure
I haven't seen anyone do it here in AZ, although it could still work for all I know
>>
>>62064902
if they're at home why do they live with a bunch of strangers?
>>
>>62065121
Outside of NY Taxis usually hang out in specific areas and you just walk up to them.
>>
Is it true that all hish schools are 2000+ students and everyone goes to the same classes including those who plan on moving on to university and those who plan on working manual labor after school? How does that work?
>>
>>62065088
>Is it mostly in work situations, like it's a boss doing that to his employees?
Exactly yea. If your boss is like that, he's like that. It's a way of showing dominance.

It's either that or he'll piss on the carpet.
>>
File: 302-0-trader_joes-original.jpg (330 KB, 1440x1060) Image search: [Google]
302-0-trader_joes-original.jpg
330 KB, 1440x1060
>>62065083
I think that's a movie meme. I live in California and I've never seen grocery bags without handles, even paper ones. See pic related. This is of course assuming they give you a bag at all. (There's a plastic bag ban but compliance seems random to me.)

The only situation I can think of is if you buy only a few items and they give you a brown bag with the top folded for you to carry out. This only happens at hipster stores like Whole Foods though.
>>
>>62064994
>wearing shoes in your own house
Some do, some don't. Asians never do
>tipping at mc donalds or other fast food places
No
Unironically yes
>seriously thinking that they have the most freedom
Yes
>not speaking a second language
Yes, no need to.
>getting shot/tasered by the police for no good reason
No, these people have trouble following orders.

>>62065041
Unironically yes
>clapping at cinema
Unironically yes
>clapping at church
Unironically yes
>clapping when you flush the toilet
Only if you finally unclogged it

>>62065080
Is it true americans get shot regularly?
Only idiots

>>62065121
Is the "TAXI!" while raising your hand true?
Yes, but you have to be in a place where empty taxis are cruising for customers (New York, Los Angeles). Other places only have them at airports in which case you walk up to them. If not, you call the company on your phone and they send a dedicated taxi to you.
Can a tourist pull it of?
Yes
>>
>>62065187
Where I went to HS, the school was huge. Thousands of students yes. But all the classes were highly segregated by retard/dumb/remedial/normal/talented/AP.
>>
>>62065140
In the east maybe.
pretty much.
unfortunately.
no.
yes, from k to 8.
no, but baseball caps are common.
>>
File: don't be happy in sweden.jpg (174 KB, 1076x423) Image search: [Google]
don't be happy in sweden.jpg
174 KB, 1076x423
>>62065119
In Sweden she would literally be arrested
>>
>>62065121
you just wave them down, yelling is unnecessary

>>62065148
at mine they did

>>62065187
eh depends on the school really.
>>
>>62065080
I'm from Baltimore. Like, the bad part of Baltimore.

I've never even seen a gun pulled out in anger.
>>
File: screamingyellowhonkers_07.jpg (21 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
screamingyellowhonkers_07.jpg
21 KB, 320x240
>>62065201
Are you telling me the simpsons LIED to me?
My world is coming undone.
>>
>>62065133
>"Bag Boys" are hired to do this for you
do you tip them?
>>
>>62065187
Yes, I think mine had close to 3 thousand
All the smart kids take honors classes (advanced classes that are worth more GPA points) and everyone else takes regular classes.
The funny thing is that you'll see that honors classes generally run like a classroom should be run, with mostly everyone respecting the teacher and sometimes the teachers and the students actually become friends (not in a pedophilic way though desu)
In regular classes though it can be like a zoo in there sometimes
>>
How does welfare work in USA?

Someone told me that poor people have to wait in a long line everyday to get a 30 dollar food voucher. is this true?

How do you pay for rent, cars, video games, etc. on welfare?
>>
>>62065187
No, they separate students based on testing.
The smarter kids go to college/advanced prep or something similar. You can even just ask to be in those classes if you have good enough grades. It depends on the state.

Not all high schools are that big, depends on the city. Mine was around 2000 and there are 9-10 high schools were I grew up.
>>
>>62065226
topfuckingkekee

i'm not even surprised, swedes i've met irl are one very strange bunch, stranger than the germans.
>>
>>62065142
>Psytrance and Psybreaks
but this isn't vapor wave or seapunk
>>
>>62065140
>depends on where. Most old people yes. West coast and more liberal areas it's less common. Midwest and south it's very common.
>yes. Brick or stone ones aren't too uncommon though
>no but I may buy one someday. Not a big priority though
>yes. They have to make sure your washing properly. [spoiler] no it's a meme [/spoiler]
>no. That's very uncommon. Hoodies are the thing. Baseball caps are common but more of a redneck thing
>>
>>62065140
>Is it true that most of you are circumcized?
Probably. It's stupid.
>Are most houses really made of wood and drywall?
I don't know about "most," but it's common yes.
>Do niggers really have this ghetto accent from the movies?
No. That's easier to understand than the real manners of speech of black people in this country. Real black people are less hostile but harder to understand. Black people are highly dialectical in America.
>Do you own a gun?
Hunting and plinking rifles, yes. Handguns no because those are just for target shooting or shooting people, and I don't think they're fun.
>Are there mandatory penis inspections for school boys?
wut
>Do all high schoolers wear cotton or baseball jackets all year even when it's snowing? Are baseball caps popular?
I haven't been in high school for 20 years so no idea.
>>
File: wave.jpg (8 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
wave.jpg
8 KB, 276x183

This happens. It was a real problem for me.

>In America on a nice holiday
>Just me, I am going across the country
>First fucking day in America
>In Washington
>Staying in a hotel
>Hotel has a place to eat, meal is free with the stay
>I go down and order a Burger, because it seems like the american way
>order
>the guy behind my table eating with his family fucking spins round
>'wow, are you a damn german?'
>'hey son, look- this man is a German! just like you!'
>starts loudly telling me about how he is German
>thought this was a meme and they didn't really do this
>tells me his sons middle name is Düsseldorf (pronounces it Dusheeldurf)
>starts laughing that I am ordering a hamburger
>'didn't you germans invent a hamburger?'
>turns to his son again who is eating a small burger
>grabs the burger from his plate
>'son, say thanks, this man BUILT your DINNER'
>son awkwardly thanks me
>he puts his burger back
>says it was great meeting a fellow German
>wishes me luck with 'that crazy merkel' and tells me ''you don't want a woman in charge, if Hilary takes over America will be less like McDonalds and more like Wendy's''
>tfw felt uncomfortable and didn't correct him that I am not German

this sort of thing happened all trip long
>>
>>62065226
I was in a long term relationship with a Swedish girl and the pretty much unanimous view I found among Swedish expats is that Sweden is this bizarre autistic country where people can't even look each other in the eye and that's why they'll never go back.
>>
>>62065142
nobody listens to this faggot shit we grind to the weeknd
>>
>>62065140
No
Yes
yes
yes
yes
We weren't allowed to wear baseball caps in school due to gangs(California). Outside of that, yeah baseball caps are very popular.
>>
File: 1465739872851.jpg (65 KB, 550x750) Image search: [Google]
1465739872851.jpg
65 KB, 550x750
>>62065286
>'didn't you germans invent a hamburger?'
>>
>>62065292
eh, had a swedish family stare at me like i'm an alien because i'm asian

also a swedish girl studying here tried to friend me up in class by aggressively yelling at me

bizarre people. germans are alright though, i like the ones i've met.
>>
File: 1453189714465.jpg (365 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1453189714465.jpg
365 KB, 900x900
>>62065286
>if Hilary takes over America will be less like McDonalds and more like Wendy's
>>
>>62065140
>Is it true that most of you are circumcized?
Yes, many girls find uncut dicks gross
>Are most houses really made of wood and drywall?
Yes
>Do niggers really have this ghetto accent from the movies?
Yes
>Do you own a gun?
Yes, several
>Are there mandatory penis inspections for school boys?
No. Physicals are required for many things though, but you go to a doctor for it. Also there is a scoliosis check in middle school
>Do all high schoolers wear cotton or baseball jackets all year even when it's snowing? Are baseball caps popular?
1. Only varsity athletes
2. Yes, very

>>62065148
>Some girls actually wears high heels at the college?
Yes, leggings too
>Are people in schools actually divided by groups? Like, there are the bully group, the nerd group, the sportsman group, the preppy group...
Yes. They are called "cliques"

>>62065187
>Is it true that all hish schools are 2000+ students and everyone goes to the same classes including those who plan on moving on to university and those who plan on working manual labor after school? How does that work?
Mine had 4,000. There are some advanced courses, but they are usually just faster-paced versions of regular classes. Everyone generally studies the same things.

>>62065247
How does welfare work in USA?
They give you a pre-loaded card. Can only be spent on "essentials" but there are ways around some things
Someone told me that poor people have to wait in a long line everyday to get a 30 dollar food voucher. is this true?
There are welfare offices where they get their cards but I'm not sure about how often they have to go.
How do you pay for rent, cars, video games, etc. on welfare?
Most people on welfare also work shit jobs for shit money. The welfare covers the essentials (to a degree) while their shit money covers luxuries
>>
File: 1231.png (72 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1231.png
72 KB, 250x250
>>62065286
>>
>>62065335
lel even finns have more friends than swedes
really makes you think
>>
>>62065286
holy shit hahahah i refuse to believe this happened

i want to but i refuse
>>
Is there actual showers in the lockeroom and people get naked and shower together after PE in highschool?

Do you actually have high school health checks and they inspect your dick and prostate?

Are your highschool lockers really like 5ft high? Ours were like 60cm by 30cm.
>>
>>62065243
No, they also help people take their groceries to the car. I guess maybe old people might tip them.
>>
File: image.jpg (902 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
902 KB, 2448x3264
>>62065272
So they wear hoodies even in winter without a proper winter jacket?

>>62065283
Holy Christ, what are you still doing on 4chan?
> 24 and still here

How hard is it to get a good-quality hooker in America? I uh, I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>>62065350
Yes but it wasn't mandatory and almost nobody did it when I was in school, probably less so now

No I have no idea how this meme started but it's pretty fucking funny and from now on I'm going to start saying yes

Some are, some aren't, ours were about half the size of what you'd see in the movies. Those are actually really rare
>>
>>62065247
Varies by state. Conservative states make it hard as hell to get. If you are poor you can get Medicaid for free healthcare and food stamps for food. Stuff like tanf snap and wic make a patchwork of bux mostly for broke single moms. If youre disabled you get ssi or ssdi if it's bad enough and Medicare which is different from Medicaid. Our welfare is a jumbled mess.
>>
>>62065335
damn that hits a little close to home. Although I have a happy life without friends anyway.
>>
>>62065350
At my high school no one showered after PE, and even if you wanted to the passing period was too short. The only guys that used the showers were the actual school teams after practice.

yeah

I never used my high school locker so I don't remember. It was small though.
>>
>>62065048
>>62065076

I gotta admit, it's very attractive when they pamper you that way, even when it's for better tips. Hearing them call you baby and sugar and honey makes you want them to just hug you while you're sitting there and squeeze you into their big motherly cleavage.
>>
>>62065366
Most Americans don't need anything more than a hoodie for their weather

I own multiple $1000+ coats though and I live in Florida cuz I like clothes

>How hard is it to get a good-quality hooker in America? I uh, I'm asking for a friend.

Depends where you are but if you have money easy, if not good luck lol
>>
>>62065080
Memes aside, unironically no, you rarely even see guns

I live in the deep south and have only ever seen them at gun ranges
>>
>>62064860
>sometimes
>no
>dick move
>only if there's like 2-3 people in that room and the other one is crowded
>yes
>probably not
>>
File: Swedes temper.jpg (144 KB, 650x271) Image search: [Google]
Swedes temper.jpg
144 KB, 650x271
>>62065350
>Is there actual showers in the lockeroom and people get naked and shower together after PE in highschool?
Are you showering with class mates of the opposite sex or is that a Nord thing? Do you not even sauna with people of the opposite sex? Do you not get naked in the sauna?
Why are americans so scared of naked bodies?
>>
>>62065286
Holy fucking kek. Americans truly are that annoying uncle in your family that awkwardly starts a conversation about your person making dull jokes
>>
File: Dariatitle.jpg (83 KB, 431x299) Image search: [Google]
Dariatitle.jpg
83 KB, 431x299
Is Daria at all accurate to the American high school experience if not, what show is the closest to the US high school experience?

The Inbetweeners (UK) seemed pretty much identical to how highschool was here in Australia.

Oh also in the US, do you actually have big sports teams for your schools and everyone comes out and "Supports the school"? Australia is a very sport heavy country and we never had any shit like that and I went to a private school as well.
>>
>>62065423
Daria's a liberal mary sue
>>
Do people really get beat up just for being different in school?
>>
>>62065104

Banned here now lel
>>
>>62064977
>yes
>no
>yes, kinda
>only in your dreams
>yes
>summer camp things. The one went to as a kid involved shooting, fishing, archery, shotgun shooting, smores, and smoking around a campfire
>>
>>62065420
We get naked in saunas and steam rooms. The ones at schools and gyms don't mix genders as far as I know.
>>
File: 49498109419.gif (442 KB, 441x270) Image search: [Google]
49498109419.gif
442 KB, 441x270
>>62065384
If this is true Americans can't even be robots. Why don't you just walk out to the street and chat with strangers and cuddle with voluptuous black waitresses then for human interaction? You have no idea what true social isolation is
>>
>>62065431
no

maybe in the 1950s but school fights rarely happen and when they do they're what everyone talks about for like the next week

unless you go to a really poor and/or black school I guess

however if you're irish yes we would have beaten the fucking shit out of you.
>>
Do you sleep in your day clothes?
How far do high school students commute to their school, at most?
Is public transport really this nasty (esp. the subways)?
Is bus transport between neighboring towns as sporadic as I think? How expensive is public transport?
How visible is the hobo population? Do they have fires in old oil barrels under a bridge?
Do newspaperboys exist? Do they really throw the newspaper on your doorstep? What about milk boys?
>>
>>62065366
I'm not old. Don't say that. ;-(

I've been on the internet since Gopher and Usenet were still as big as the HTTP.
>>
>>62065166
>LA maybe
Nope. LA is too spread out for taxis to cruise for riders.

>>62065148
>Some girls actually wears high heels at the college?
Yes. Depends on school culture. I usually only saw them worn at parties though.
>Are people in schools actually divided by groups?
Not really. In high school, there's lots of overlap. It would not be unusual for someone in sports to also be a honors student hanging out with "band people." People usually hangout with people they have similar classes or activities with.

In college, I noticed people tended to hang out with either their roommates or other people in the same club/frat/sorority. There was also a slight ethnic divide. I don't think it's intentional, but if you looked at random groups of people, most of them would be predominately of a certain ethnicity. Athletes almost always hung out with other athletes and were either really serious and smart or the stereotypical jock that got some leniency from professors.
>>
>>62064994
maybe but no
what the fuck shit is this
nope
i guess if your a hick maybe
majority wont
ask again when black
>>
>>62065423
>The Inbetweeners (UK) seemed pretty much identical to how highschool was here in Australia.
What about Summer Heights High? Pls say yes
>>
>>62065420
Kek
>>
>>62065431
yeah bullying is huge in north america. its less common in rich areas and places were most people have well-educated parents.

>friends high school had daily fist fights
>fights broke out every lunch or break
>my high school's biggest conflict was a rivalry between two choir clubs
>everybody went to university or smoked pot
>>
>>62065423
I went to the basketball and football games because I knew girls would be there not because I cared about the team.
>>
>>62065449
Thanks EU
>>
>>62065286
Heritagefags are NOT a meme. Even mutts claim ancestry when it's convenient
>>
File: 1424610786442.jpg (207 KB, 692x960) Image search: [Google]
1424610786442.jpg
207 KB, 692x960
This isn't so much movies as they keep doing it in real life.

Working at a 7Eleven, and half of all the American tourists keep asking me "How's it going?" or "How are you doing?" and I'm pretty sure they don't actually give a fuck.

Do you guys actually wanna know what the fuck the Danish 7Eleven nightshift guy is doing?
>>
>>62064977
wtf are sororities not real in other places? yes, frats and sororities are real and yes they're as douchey/slutty as you imagine them to be (unless they're a professional frat or some shit)

no that's movie shit

not random people usually, people who know each other always fuck with each other

parties yes, pop punk and that fag shit no

yes

fishing and canoeing and that bigass water balloon thing you jump on and send someone flying and all that sort of outdoorsy shit

campfires with marshmallows you know

maybe getting to 2nd base at age 14 not knowing what the fuck to do with your hands

the good shit
>>
>>62065456
mate this is wrong. you went to a rich or smart kids school.

working class whites basically fight daily in my city. they are generally an unruly bunch, but it doesn't usually escalate to shootings or some dumb american shit.
>>
>>62065476
>daily
Yeah maybe if you go to the high schools for retards or juvenile delinquents
>>
>>62065495
I thought you guys closed everything at 10pm
>>
Do pizza delivery fuccbois really ask for tips?
Do cooks at restaurants or the pizza fuccboi spit on your food if you don't tip and come back?
How many people believe that Bush did 9/11?
>>
>>62065468
Less wacky comedy, put pretty much as well. Jonah was like 50% of all students in my classes which fucking sucked because the Teacher could never teach anything and I ended up getting shit grades because I never knew what the fuck any of the essays or whatever were about because the teachers were never able to teach us.
>>
>>62065350
>Is there actual showers in the lockeroom and people get naked and shower together after PE in highschool?
P.E. (in highschool) is for idiots who who can't do sports. They don't shower and hardly do anything. People in sports use the showers
>Do you actually have high school health checks and they inspect your dick and prostate?
No, but this makes me laugh every time
>Are your highschool lockers really like 5ft high? Ours were like 60cm by 30cm.
1ftx1ft. At my highschool, underclassmen had to share lockers (2 students : 1 locker). Locker room lockers were bigger though. Depends on the school.

>>62065366
>How hard is it to get a good-quality hooker in America? I uh, I'm asking for a friend.
It's illegal in most places so you risk running into cops. Las Vegas is legal, but you have to wear a condom. The trick to paying for sex is getting an escort. You pay for the company (dinner, bringing one to a fancy event, etc.). sex """MAY""" happen afterwards, but of course you didn't pay for the sex you paid for the prior "COMPANY". Escorts are expensive as hell. But you can get Gianna Michaels for $1,500/hour in Los Angeles. Others are much more expensive
>>
>>62065242
in Wisco we get these all the time. well my family recently switched to reusable but all when I was young they didnt have handles
>>
>>62065459
not unless i'm blackout drunk or get home from work and immediately fall asleep

that's hard to answer, my commute was a 15-20 minute drive, elementary school was a 5 minute bike ride, some kids can travel up to an hour idk

depends what city, NYC subway isn't super gross and dirty but it is by no means clean. same with san francisco in my experience

bus transport is either nonexistent or extremely shitty and unreliable outside of major cities, i've never been on a bus in my city and have no idea what they're like

also depends where you are. here it's limited to streets with high pedestrian traffic but in san francisco they're FUCKING EVERYWHERE, not even kidding the entire city smells like piss because they just pee everywhere. also not kidding when i say rich neighboring towns pay to bus them in and get them out of their towns.

no and no, we have mailmen and why tf would we need milkboys it's not 1910
>>
>>62065506
eh average highschool in a working class city.

rust belt is a giant fucking shit-hole region where lack of jobs just make people aggressive.
>>
File: 1409170234773.jpg (81 KB, 924x571) Image search: [Google]
1409170234773.jpg
81 KB, 924x571
>Being "tucked in for bed" by your parents every evening
>Hugging your parents
>Constantly saying/hearing "I love you" to/from them
>Knowing what it feels to be loved
>>
>>62065243
Hahaha fuck no. for fucking smashing my bread half the time they can fuck themselves.
>>
>>62065504
Well now that you mention it the only fights I ever saw in high school were between poor whites. My school was 70% Mexican too.
>>
>>62065454

Don't ask me, I dunno how some can robot as much as they do. Even I get out and talk to strangers and voluptuous black waitresses, and I'm socially awkward as hell, which for some reason the black waitresses find adorable.
>>
>>62065504
you just went to a poor school then

i didn't go to a poor school but it wasn't rich either, then again by 4chan's standards it probably was, it was an "A" school for whatever the fuck that means

there were very, very rarely fights when i went to middle/high school
>>
>>62065524
> can't even have sex for money
> FREEDOM
kek

I like this thread, it's interesting.
>>
>>62065187
no depends on where you live. cities and most suburbs are probs this big but anywhere rural could have just over 100 in a grade. my cousin graduated with 50 other people i think
>>
Do Americans seriously not want public healthcare?

I've never understood this, what the fuck happens if you like break your arm? Some medication is like worth $1000 a pill when not subsidized by a public healthcare system.

Since I have shitty health, I'm pretty sure I would be forced to murder anyone who tried to privatize healthcare here in Australia.
>>
>>62065559
ur living the dream m8
Cherish it
>>
>>62065514
No
They wouldn't know if you didn't tip until after the meal.
It's become a meme, people say it all the time but it's unclear if they really believe it or not.
>>
>>62065556
maybe put it last on the conveyor belt then dipshit

t. worked as a bagboy when i was a kid and purposely crushed peoples bread because they group it with all the heaviest shit they bought
>>
do americans really tip everyone? also whats hourly wage like? i keep hearing about people saying without tips they'd literally starve how true is this
>>
>>62065495
I do, but I regularly make conversation with 2 of my local 7-11's employees. Most just don't know what else to say.
>>
>>62065524
>P.E. (in highschool) is for idiots who who can't do sports.
Athletes are not required to attend PE?
>>
>>62064860
You don't talk to complete strangers out of boredom in your country? Its not something you do every day but if your stuck in line or some shit why not?
>>
>>62065588
i do, rednecks don't because they really, really don't like taxes but are too stupid to realize they're spending more on health insurance anyway. or they're poor and can't even afford health insurance and just think our doctors will get worse, or they don't want black people getting free healthcare. yes 100% serious this is how our right wing thinks.
>>
>>62065495
"Hey how's it going" is actually a very common greeting

He probably doesn't really give a shit but is being polite.
>>
>>62065565
eh entire city is poor. i went to a smart kids school but my friends went to average schools. almost 10% of the kids went to university and the other 90% is bydlo.
>>
>>62065608
You get PE credits/units for doing sports
>>
>>62065600
not everyone

hourly wages for most entry level positions are like 7.50 to 10/hr, I'm a barista while I'm at uni and I make 11/hr. we get tips but it's not expected and not every customer does it, but I usually go home with like $15 in tips a day anyway. usually there's a spot for a tip on a receipt, that's how you know when it's expected

people like waiters make $3/hr and literally work for tips. in the rare event they don't make at least federal minimum wage on that hourly wage and their tips, the employer has to cough up the difference so that they at least made minimum wage for their time worked. this basically never happens though, waiters make far above minimum wage, I honestly don't know how much but probably like $20+/hr, it's hard to say with tips.
>>
>>62065600
Min wage is 7.25$ but many states have it higher. If the waiter doesn't make the min wage from tips then they must legally be compensated for it
>>
>>62065459
>Do you sleep in your day clothes?
No
>How far do high school students commute to their school, at most?
Rural areas can be like a 30min bus ride one-way
>Is public transport really this nasty (esp. the subways)?
Yes, only because there is a stigma that it is for poor people
>Is bus transport between neighboring towns as sporadic as I think? How expensive is public transport?
Almost no one does this. Depends on distance since some are just for one city and Greyhound buses can drive you cross-country. We have literal busloads of Koreans in tour buses in the Southwest, typically near the Grand Canyon. Smells like kimchi.
>How visible is the hobo population? Do they have fires in old oil barrels under a bridge?
They are very visible. Typically on freeway exits and under bridges. They fit the stereotype 100%. There are even "tent cities" where they all live in tents like something out of The Running Man
>Do newspaperboys exist? Do they really throw the newspaper on your doorstep? What about milk boys?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

>>62065514
>Do pizza delivery fuccbois really ask for tips?
They don't ask, but they expect it
>Do cooks at restaurants or the pizza fuccboi spit on your food if you don't tip and come back?
No. There are tons of regulations and security cameras, sanitation is very important. Also no one wants to get sued.
>How many people believe that Bush did 9/11?
Surprisingly a fair amount

>>62065588
>Do Americans seriously not want public healthcare?
No, only die-hard liberals want this
>I've never understood this, what the fuck happens if you like break your arm? Some medication is like worth $1000 a pill when not subsidized by a public healthcare system.
You buy your own insurance policy or your employer gives you a policy. Some policies cover more than others, especially depending on job. You can buy cheap, low-coverage if you think you will be healthy to expensive, high-coverage if you don't think you will be healthy.
>>
File: Swedish police.jpg (104 KB, 535x684) Image search: [Google]
Swedish police.jpg
104 KB, 535x684
>>62065621
This literally never happens. It's just not in our culture.
>>
did a kid ever bring a gun to your school
>>
>>62065568
You can always not be a sperglord and get a girl to want to have sex with you. Or go to Las Vegas
>>
>>62065495
it's just to acknowledge you and make small talk to make the interaction more pleasant. we only care at the very surface level, you and i both know we don't care to talk about every little detail of our daily lives together, that's mutually understood
>>
>>62065350
We had showers at my school but most of the time they just got pissed into when the urinals were queued up.
>>
>>62065674
Of course, but sometimes you just want some quick release with no effort.
>>
>>62065660
>>Do newspaperboys exist? Do they really throw the newspaper on your doorstep? What about milk boys?
>1. Yes
>2. Yes
>3. Yes

where in the fuck do you live that you have a milk boy??? you're fucking with them but now you're fucking with me too
>>
>>62065669
So, if you and another guy are in the beer aisle at the grocery store and you're looking at the same stuff you wont talk to him?
>>
I have a friend who calls his father-in-law by first name. Is that common?
>>
>>62065671
no but a kid's mom actually did once lmao

she got fuckin linebacker tackled by the resource officer, I don't even think it was loaded and completely forgot why she did it
>>
>>62065727
Even in Germany that's common...
>>
>>62065671
Not that I ever heard of. And I went to a pretty shitty school. The only illicit things that people regularly brought to school were drugs.
>>
>>62065731
link to the article although it's gone and archived now

http://news.gulfbreezenews.com/news/2009-04-16/Front_Page/000.html

but yeah this really happened, crazy bitch
>>
>>62065708
Masturbation? GF?
>>
>>62065671
>did a kid ever bring a gun to your school
Probably, but never used it. At my middle school, one kid straight up knifed another kid in the middle of class and almost killed him. It wasn't in my class. Highschools have 1 or more armed police officers anyway. Ghetto school have airport-tier security, complete with metal detectors

>>62065716
I meant that as we used to have them and I'm sure some still exist in bumfuck nowhere towns. Just gave him a short answer.
>>
>>62065717
Absolutely not.
(Though beer isn't permitted to be sold in grocery stores here, but I get the general idea)

>>62065727
Calling anyone by anything other than their first-name (except the King) is unheard of in Sweden. Sounds weird as fuck.
As does the whole "yes sir/maam" thing. Medieval.
>>
Do you all have treehouses in your back yard?
>>
>>62065468
Yes.
>>
>>62065762
Masturbation isn't the same.
GF takes effort.
> tfw no gf anymore
What kinda fleshlight should I buy?
>>
>>62065779
Only some white people did in my hometown.
>>
>>62065779
yeah we use them for time traveling adventures
>>
1. Yes. It's fucking stupid.
2. No.
3. No.
4. lol no
5. Yes, that's how you make friends, you autist.
6. There's probably a diner or two in the country where this is true, but I've never been to one. Diners aren't really a West Coast thing.
>>
>>62065779
I didn't, but I wouldn't say it's uncommon.
>>
>>62065779

Not all of us, but some. Used to be much more common to see in the 90's
>>
File: australiaswedenlove.jpg (118 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
australiaswedenlove.jpg
118 KB, 960x540
>>62065784
How realistic to the typical Australian is Crocodile Dundee 1-10?
He was my #1 idol growing up
>>
>>62065247
>How does welfare work in USA?
Depends on state. I live in Commiefornia so it's not too bad, so long as you're okay with a no frills lifestyle. It covers the basics and you'll have some money for a hobby or two, but you have to be very careful with how you spend your money, as there's a high cost of living.

You mostly have to prove low income and sometimes no assets either. Some programs will literally comb through for bank statements for where each deposit came from.

You can get subsidies on a things like utilities, rent and car insurance. You can even get a cellphone (some people call it Obamaphone, despite it being around longer than Obama). "Food stamps" is actually a debt card with money loaded on it, which can't be spent on alcohol or cigarettes etc. Parents with children can get certain foods and milk vouchers. I think they look and work like checks. I think the biggest program recently is the expansion of healthcare. Lots more low-income adults now have state subsidized health insurance. It used to only be children and seniors.

The problem I guess is that some programs are so crowded and underfunded, that only a few people get certain benefits. They're done on a first come, first serve basis. For instance, rent subsidization has something like a 5-10 year waiting list. (Housing prices in California are insane.)
>>
>>62065779
If you are white or asian and had a large tree in your yard, yes
>>
>>62065779
I did, but my dad's a carpenter. Best thing ever as a kid was sleeping out in the Fort in the summer. Bring my game boy and a sleeping bag and listen to the crickets and coyotes. Have friends sleep over and stay up to watch the sun rise.
>>
>>62065588
Most Americans think if you have any sort of health problem and cannot afford to treat it, it is entirely your fault and that you could have worked 3 minimum wage jobs for 120 hours a week to scrape by.
>>
>>62065745
I see. Here we adopt the ma, pa, mom, dad, etc. for our in-laws.

>>62065774
That's nice. Must be quite an adjustment if you're in the military.
>>
>>62065792
> masturbation isn't the same

I live with my gf and I still prefer masturbation sometimes
>>
>>62065779
I did but I was the only one

Eventually I had to stop using it because of the trillions of wasps it somehow attracted.
>>
File: 1424804361953.jpg (66 KB, 640x414) Image search: [Google]
1424804361953.jpg
66 KB, 640x414
>>62065509
7Elevens in cities regularly keep open 24/7 unless they're part of a mall or train station, generally, it's easier to find an open bar in Copenhagen past 03:00 than in places like London. I'm repeatedly surprised how cities on other countries just completely close down at a set time.

>>62065605
>>62065626
>>62065690
Figured it was something like that, usually try to respond some short way, but it's hard to come up with a short way of explaining that I'm overworked because the other nightshift guy took a vacation, and I got 99 pastries to prepare while also having to clean the store and keep the local freakshow in line.
>>
>>62065847
this

americans have this weird idea that hard work can solve *literally* every problem

motherfucker you can work as hard as you want with 3 fast food jobs but if you can't afford healthcare one hospital visit will put you in debt for the rest of your life. and the ironic part is, the people most affected by these things are the ones who keep voting against it, against their own interests, because they're uneducated and don't like the idea of more taxes and black people getting free things

conservatives are delusional regressive, dangerous idiots here, they're nowhere near as bad as the conservatives in any of your countries (replying to anglos at least)
>>
>>62065856
true but sometimes you want pussy as well, and if you don't have to date her first, take her out, convince her to sleep with you etc why not do it? just walk up, ask for sex, pay, fuck, done.
>>
fatshot
>>
>>62065774
huh, are there any activities where small talk is okay? You would still talk to people you didn't know at a party or event right?
>>
>>62065870
Doesn't always have to be short, if they actually care they'll stay to listen. I often stay for 5-10 min and talk about family and such with them, but I'm middle east diaspora and so are they so there's good common ground.

Also forgot to mention I got into the habit of doing this as a part of overcoming social anxiety.
>>
>>62065820
Pretty much zero.

Rural people are pretty much ultra-conservative bogan fuckwits generally, this coming from someone that lived in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Isa

Here for about 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUg-8NWRk98

This video is 100% accurate to the rural experience in Australia.
>>
>>62065886
err sorry, meant to say they're way worse than the conservatives in your countries

like if they were politicians in your countries they'd be considered far right fringe lunatics

and many americans here VOTE FOR THEM
>>
>>62065779
I did. It's pretty common.
>>
>>62064860

I still remember a black lady working at McDonalds calling me sweetheart when I visited the US as a kid.

My parents bought me an Ice cream and she was like ''here you go sweetheart''
>>
>>62065891
Yeah but whores just seem too dirty to me. I tried it once and it was not a good experience.. Didn't help that she was a nigger lol
>>
Do you really say grace before eating dinner?
>>
>>62065909
I had a friend who lived in Australia for a year and when he told us about bogans, and more specifically the tv show bogan hunters, we thought he was exaggerating.
>>
Do you guys bury a chest with your most memorable things at the backyard to open yeara later?
>>
>>62065902
Only after many many schnapps, then everyone is our friends. No non drunk event. I literally can't think of one.
>>
>>62065943
only really christian families

did it as a kid occasionally

my family in alabama does lol
>>
>>62065717
wtf? do people really do this?
>>62065902
not him obv but small talk isn't really a thing in nordic countries (at least not in funland). personally i have no interest in talking with people i'm not friends or intend to be friends with. it has nothing to do with being autist or assburger. i'm very chatty but very reserved around people i don't know.
>>
>>62065870
Most of us usually just lie
>Hey how are you doing
>I'm doing fine, how about you?
>I'm good. So get me a pack of smokes and one of those spinning meat things with extra dip.
>Here you go, have a nice day.
>Thanks, you too.

Now repeat this for literal every single person who walks in.
>>
>>62065958
no but schools will often make "time capsules" full of things kids made for kids like 20 years in the future at that school to dig up and go through. and not really dig up, more like just retrieve. they're not buried, they're put in concrete holes and sealed up

come to think of it, kids are going to be looking at shit I made very soon I think
>>
>>62065958
Nah, time capsules aren't really a thing anymore. They were more popular in the 80s.
>>
>>62065495
>Work in an information center
>All American tourists always greet me with a ''Hi! How are you?''
>Go quiet for 5 seconds every time because I'm surprised and don't know how to react.
>Finally be able to stammer out ''I'm fine, thanks, how are you?''

It just feels so fucking stupid and superficial.
>>
File: 1415630724347.png (437 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1415630724347.png
437 KB, 500x667
>>62065930
Why are black women so nice
>>
>>62065431
I honestly never noticed bullying at my school. I'm sure it happened, but I never witnessed it.

>>62065476
tb.h, the only people I knew who got bullied went to rich private schools. The kids in public schools fought for mostly stupid reasons like not showing respect or something.

I forgot what class it was (Adolescent Development?), but I recall from college, that bullying is actually more common in homogeneous environments, as those who were different were singled out. The professor highlighted Japan and some Nordic country as an example.
>>
>>62064860
>grocery bags without handles
Some stores have handles some don't
>>
>>62065489
Really? I spent two weeks in Pennsylvania once which is supposedly Germany: the state, and people weren't really in-your-face about their heritage. Maybe they off-handedly mentioned distant German ancestry, but they didn't pester me about it. They were mostly just interested and some of them were able to speak in German a little.

The only culture shock was how fucking drugged out Philly was. Is this normal for US cities?
>>
Do you converse with your barber?
>>
>>62065939
What did you expect? I'm legit thinking about paying a busty asian hooker but I'm worried because from what I hear most of the prostitution here is controlled by Arab clans that are basically above the law.
>>
>>62066029
Philly might be a bit worse than most, but pretty much every major city I've been to in the US is like that to varying degrees.
>>
If outsiders travel to the South; are police and/or locals likely to try to kill them? Is their propensity to kill you increased again if you're not racist?
>>
>>62066022
black people in general are super fucking chill and fun to be around, the opinions you get here are mostly from 16-22 white suburban dudes who rarely if ever come in contact with black people and base their opinions on what /pol/ tells them

If you come to the US and meet normal black people, chances are you'll probably really like them, they're very nice people
>>
>>62066029
>The only culture shock was how fucking drugged out Philly was. Is this normal for US cities?

Yes, and it only gets worse the deeper you look into it.
>>
>>62066017
What would you prefer
>>
File: cray.jpg (95 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cray.jpg
95 KB, 500x375
>>62064902
I would give up all my worldly possessions to have 1990s Jennifer Aniston as my sex slave.
>>
>>62066036
yeah but I've been going to the same guy for like 3 years and he knows me pretty personally

>>62066055
lol is this a serious question

yes if you come down south me and everybody else will be aiming to kill you, even the cops, watch your back ozzy

no you dip they'll all just want to talk to you about where you're from
>>
>>62065820
You do get wild bushmen tyoes but no you don't really see them
>>
>>62066036
I try not to, but they sure as hell converse with me.
>>
>>62066072
>Hi, can I get xxx
>Of course, here you go that'll be 10kroner
>thank you!
>you're welcome, have a nice day.

That's literally how it works here.
>>
>>62065907
>but I'm middle east diaspora

So are half of my nightly regulars, often shoot the shit with them and they regularly bring up the fact that I look more like a kebab than an ethnic Dane.
>>
>>62066036
I go to the same guy every month so I usually tell him funny stories or we talk about sports.
>>
>>62066036
I only recently started going to a barber because family always cut my hair, even as an undergrad I would just get a hair cut on breaks.

When I go to this Korean lady, we have talked a bit but now that I'm a regular there is little to no conversation which is how I prefer it.

This other guy I go to on the other hand talks a lot but is rather entertaining about it at least. Except when he asks about my work, but I just hate talking about my work in general because I work in a lab and usually I get interrupted during my explanation, they make some dumb incorrect generalization saying they understand, and I just nod happy that its over with.
>>
>>62065943
Only very religious families. They will do it before every meal, even at McDonald's. I'm not kidding.

>>62065958
Personally, sometimes
Graduating school classes, frequently

>>62066036
Traditional male barbers at a usually all-male barbershop converse, but only with regulars and only for a few minutes. Bullshit females at SuperCuts and GreatClips (haircutter chains) talk your fucking ear off about random bullshit literally 100% of the time you are there

>>62066055
No, you will be able to smash any qt country gal with your accent.
>>
>>62065671
Not at my school and it was pretty ghetto too. Knives probably happened, but no one got stabbed on campus while I was in school. I did hear drugs were going around though and not like "light" ones either.
>>
>>62065949
No, Bogans are as bad as they sound, in America you have ghetto blacks, here in Australia we have Bogans. In the suburb next to me bogan kids literally stab pedestrians with screw drivers for fun.

>>62065909
Also to add on some things with rural australia

There are literally towns (Wilcannia) if you go into, you will be fucking murdered, local broken hill maps literally have "do not stop" on certain towns.

There are literal incest villages that are just filled with family members fucking each other and they will try to fuck you (seriously experienced this, there is one near Anembo) when one was raided by the police a few years back, it was big news.

in Far North Queenslad there are also "hidden" towns that are completely off grid and off the map and are filled with people on the run from the law, hobos, jail break convicts, missing peoples etc etc who want to be as far away from society as possible. You often hear stories of people who work in parks and the navy up north often running into places like these and everyone just scatters into the rainforest.
>>
File: 1467546260492.jpg (20 KB, 519x733) Image search: [Google]
1467546260492.jpg
20 KB, 519x733
>>62065909
>This video is 100% accurate to the rural experience in Australia.
Incredibly depressing but a tiny bit liberating.
>>
>>62066105
that's pretty much how convenience store interactions happen here too

the difference is that it's not weird to ask "how's your day been" if you decide to, but not many people do
>>
>>62065083
>woolies
>not coles masterrace
>>
>>62066128
>literal incest villages
WHERE
>>
>>62066107
Kek, what countries are they mostly from?
>>
>>62066147
Again, off the grid rural hillbilly villages where everyone is a family member. One got raided new Tumut a few years ago, I ran into one near Anembo.
>>
>>62066136
Yeah, but the ''how are you'' thing coming from strangers really tend to put Danes in an awkward position.

If a Dane ever asks you ''how are you?'', it's because we genuinely want to know how you are feeling.
>>
File: 1lkydZG.jpg (67 KB, 600x690) Image search: [Google]
1lkydZG.jpg
67 KB, 600x690
>People paying large $$$ to attend college and there choose to major in something like music with a minor in fashion design

I mean when the cost is SO high, why aren't people more cautious of their choices then? And why does it often seem may Americans study two completely separate things as major and minor? Here you'd study for example statistics or econ history if your major was economics. Not something unrelated to the major subject.

And then furthermore it seems many don't attend classes/give a damn, etc. But they payed to go there. Is that just a myth or what is up with that?
>>
>>62066128
When you say "try to fuck you" do you mean literally or as in try to fuck you over?

Also we kinda have that here is rural PA. There are stories of truck drivers who get approached by Amish girls that are trying to get knocked up because their gene pool is so small they need outside sources or run the risk of having major birth defects they can't deal with. I've never experienced it first hand though.
>>
>>62066194
brb driving to LAX
>>
>>62066207
usually the kids who go to expensive schools for that are privileged and aren't paying out of their own pocket, have some sort of scholarship, or are really fucking stupid and taking a loan out for it

majority of students attend classes regularly and take them seriously, those who don't flunk out
>>
>>62066226
>When you say "try to fuck you" do you mean literally or as in try to fuck you over?

No, as in all the hillbilly girls come onto you instantly and want you to knock them up

>Also we kinda have that here is rural PA. There are stories of truck drivers who get approached by Amish girls that are trying to get knocked up because their gene pool is so small they need outside sources or run the risk of having major birth defects they can't deal with.

This I assume is the case.
>>
>>62066207
I don't know man. I went to junior college my first two years to save money and halfway through the semester 50-60% of the people in class would stop coming. This was in a poorer city but one of America's cheapest colleges.
>>
>>62066207
What?
Americans take university much more seriously than Europeans or Asians.
Foreigners constantly complain about studying in America and finding out they actually have to do work.
If you want to see uni students who don't care, come to Japan.
>>
>>62066207
Expensive for the same reason as healthcare.

Most people major in whatever they think they can do and can get them a job, they half ass it, but pay out the ass because its necessary for most jobs. They minor in things for the same reason. A lot of top schools don't actually have minors these days, they expect you to focus on your department of choice.

Very few people actually go in depth into whatever their "major" is.
>>
>>62066190
A couple of Moroccans, Kurds and Turks that work in the area and a lot of probably more Arabic regulars that are just out and about at night.
>>
>>62066238
Is it true all that weird shit you hear about like you having mandatory lectures, or you have to by some special "survey machine" to answer questions during class to prove your presence? And that you have multiple answers exams, so you just cross out the right answer and don't have to give an answer on your own?
That can't be true, right?
>>
>>62066147
>>62066231
Most rural Australians that fuck their family members are Abos. You really might be biting off more than you can chew if you go looking into this. Abo women stink like a sock you've been wearing for over a year and their cunts look like what you'd get if you tried to pull apart a toasted cheese sandwich that had gone cold.
>>
>>62066277
Those do exist. Usually for lower level classes filled with retards doing generic things like pre med or engineering.

As for the exams, I didn't take a single multiple choice exam in undergrad, but a lot of my friends elsewhere did.
>>
Is it true that you hate wedding parties?
>>
>>62066128
>>62066226
>>62066259
These crazy country girls; do they expect the men to stick around to raise the kids? Or can you just pump and dump?
>>
The redneck culture is really strong there?
How is the reception of people who speaks broken english?
White people actually has a peeve with black people and vice-versa?
The ghettos are this big problem in the american cities as the favelas are for Brazil?
What do you guys think about these cities: Detorit, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Oakland, Memphis (I think you guys will know why I listed these specifically)?
What things we see in GTA we can bring to the american reality?
>>
>>62066274
How are PhD-students looked upon? Is it considered honorable? Is the academic world praised?
I think I rarely see the American academic world speaking out in American media as I see the Swedish do here. They seem to have a far far more public role here. But I might be biased because I mostly come across "big" American media like CNN.
>>
>>62066277
>Is it true all that weird shit you hear about like you having mandatory lectures,

Some professors structure their classes this way, usually you can only miss a certain amount before you're dropped from the class, like 3

>or you have to by some special "survey machine" to answer questions during class to prove your presence?

never heard of this but I've had classes that had you sign your name for attendance. obviously if you want to you can just get a friend to sign for you if it's a big enough class to not notice, but then you'll just be missing class and flunking out anyway so why do it

>And that you have multiple answers exams, so you just cross out the right answer and don't have to give an answer on your own?

some are some aren't, higher level classes don't offer multiple choice as often and require not just an answer but everything that lead you to that answer. lower level undergrad classes it's common to have multiple choice tests

not sure what you mean by not giving an answer on your own though, you still have to choose the right answer
>>
>>62066277
>mandatory lectures
Usually only for freshmen. Large classes do use surveys for proof

>Multiple choice exams, don't have to give reason
Some classes have all multiple choice, all written, or a mixture. It's all up to the professor. Higher level classes tend to have written answers that heavily outweigh multiple choice. So even if you somehow guess 100% on multiple choice and failed the rest of the exam, you would still fail the exam. This only holds true for exams in actual fields of study, not music or art history
>>
>>62066345
>The redneck culture is really strong there?

Yes, you know how Americans often act on 4chan? Trump supporters? Those are unironic rednecks, exact same political views and everything

>How is the reception of people who speaks broken english?

people just get curious as to where you're from usually

>White people actually has a peeve with black people and vice-versa?

Just racists, I said above that black people in general are wonderful people, white and black people both have shitstains in their communities. black people are just more often poor so it's more common in those communities

>The ghettos are this big problem in the american cities as the favelas are for Brazil?

they exist but they're nowhere fucking near favela levels

>What do you guys think about these cities: Detorit, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Oakland, Memphis (I think you guys will know why I listed these specifically)?

decrepit, north side is good, boring, dangerous, fun but dangerous, even the white people here are dangerous, east oakland is nice west oakland you fucking die, boring

>What things we see in GTA we can bring to the american reality?

GTA is american reality

>>62066346
>How are PhD-students looked upon? Is it considered honorable? Is the academic world praised?

yes, you just don't see it here because most american posters here are 18-22 uneducated rednecks

it also depends what field you're in and what school you're at. I've got a friend in med school at uchi and one getting her phd at princeton and another getting his phd at berkeley. these are all extremely fucking prestigious and they're guaranteed high paying jobs. whereas if you get a phd at a small local uni, sure that's good and you're basically guaranteed a job but it's not as impressive as one from princeton or a similar school.

but yeah, 4chan unironically sees universities as liberal jew brainwashing propaganda factories, so you won't get many good opinions here
>>
>>62065459
>Do you sleep in your day clothes?
I change into comfy pants with the same shirt, but I think most people change into pajamas.
>How far do high school students commute to their school, at most?
Not sure. The longest commute I've heard of was maybe 30 minutes. By law, kids are supposed to go to schools (public ones at least) assigned to where their primary residence is at, which is usually very near. But it's not unheard of to lie on the papers.
>Is public transport really this nasty (esp. the subways)?
Yes. It's not so bad in very dense urban centers like San Francisco, but usually public transportation is unfortunately primarily only used by those who can't get a car for whatever reason.
>Is bus transport between neighboring towns as sporadic as I think? How expensive is public transport?
I'm speaking only of my experience in LA, but bus frequency varied from 15minutes to 1hour or more. Last time I was there, it was $1.75 for 1 bus line. I think it's $0.25 or more for a transfer to another bus, but I've never tried it. You have to tell the driver when you get on the first bus that you're going to do a transfer.
>How visible is the hobo population? Do they have fires in old oil barrels under a bridge?
Very visible. I've never witnessed hobos with fire before.
>Do newspaperboys exist? Do they really throw the newspaper on your doorstep? What about milk boys?
Yes, but they usually drive cars. And yes they will place it where you want if you request it. (My brother used to do this as a side gig and customers would get super irate if he didn't place it exactly as the customer specified.) Of course, I don't know if there still around with newpapers going out of business.
I don't know anyone who knows a person who gets milk delivered or delivers milk.
>>
>>62066346
I'm applying to PhD programs this year (in Neuroscience) and have a fair number of friends across the process in various fields (from pure math to sociology), with one starting her post doc next year.

The academic world is not praised, in fact people often think of academics as pretentious and trying to scheme you (e.g. all the news articles going "scientists want you think this, but we think otherwise!"), and that they somehow lack "street smarts". People often try to one-up you with stuff like "haha, I have an engineering degree and make more money than you".

Since a PhD is almost never the most economically viable decision to make, people will often criticize you. If you have a PhD in Clinical Psychology or Japanese Literature, it'll be "muh STEM", if you have a STEM PhD it'll be "but are you well-read and cultured?"

Also most people here are very confused about education for any purpose other than making money.
>>
>>62065847
>>62065886
I seriously hope people don't legitamately think that they can sustain themselves working a minimum wage job.

I don't like national public healthcare because I believe that setting healthcare at a national standard would end up in lower value medicines and treatments. Look what it did to our education. I see the merit in it but I don't think it could work in our system, plus it's unconstitutional at the moment anyway.

However, I'm fine if a state decides to provide public healthcare for its citizens, that's a different issue altogether.
>>
>>62066328
bump
>>
>>62066490
>I don't like national public healthcare because I believe that setting healthcare at a national standard would end up in lower value medicines and treatments.

What makes you believe this? We aren't even the best country in the world for medical treatment
>>
>>62066505
idk what sort of question this is? why would someone hate a party with free booze
>>
File: 100.gif (83 KB, 395x281) Image search: [Google]
100.gif
83 KB, 395x281
>>62064860
I've noticed some people doing it, but I don't.
umm all the plastic ones have handles, some of the paper ones do not. Also some people use reusable fabric bags.
I don't do that and don't know anyone that does. Usually I'll say 'later dude' or something like that.
That depends on the position of authority. I would consider that rude in a social setting, but for instance if somone that has a higher rank tells you to fuck off it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Normally you would just take the other person aside.
That varies by location. Some places yes, some no.
Again it depends on location. I've found in the south this stereotype does exist both with blacks and whites in country diners. I find it charming, they are genuinely kind people generally.

ask anymore you want
>>
>>62064860
We're not friends.
>>
File: LA.jpg (862 KB, 936x772) Image search: [Google]
LA.jpg
862 KB, 936x772
>>62066345
>The redneck culture is really strong there?
Yes, but mostly focused in the South
>How is the reception of people who speaks broken english?
Brown = illegal Mexican = bad (unless you are attractive, then you get pussy)
White = Exotic and cultured, also get pussy
>White people actually has a peeve with black people and vice-versa?
Yes. Mexicans hate blacks too. Asians are basically white people.
>The ghettos are this big problem in the american cities as the favelas are for Brazil?
Favelas are much worse, but ghettos are our worst.
>What do you guys think about these cities: Detorit, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Oakland, Memphis (I think you guys will know why I listed these specifically)?
All have certain parts that are nice and fun, and other parts that you just don't fucking go to ever. Except Detroit, all of Detroit is garbage.
>What things we see in GTA we can bring to the american reality?
I live in Orange County, California and can reliably tell you that Los Santos is Los Angeles. They are very similar. See pic related.
Oh and big cars and wide streets are common.
>>
>>62066529
you know, meeting with a family you don't like, wasting time to get there etc.
>>
>>62066374
That's quite insane though, there'd be a public outcry if that happened here. Crossing the right box is nothing like writing your own answer on a blank page, formulating it by your own words, arguing for it, discussing it in your text, etc. If you just have to remember the right answer, well... I'm not sure I'd call that truly learning.

>>62066468
In Sweden and other Germanic countries there's a word: bildung, which essentially means you need to complement your scientific studies with things like philosophy, art and literature. Being cultured is considered mandatory in the academic world, outspokenly so by professors from day 1 - no matter your subject. Would you say it's similar in America?
Also, here a "The Third Task" of universities is often mentioned, which consists of the moral and social responsibility for universities to spread their knowledge to the public. Is this spoken of in America too?
>>
>>62066029
>The only culture shock was how fucking drugged out Philly was. Is this normal for US cities?
Marijuana (and vaping) seems to be replacing cigarette smoking, especially with younger people.

But if you're referring to the harder drugs, America is currently under a heroin (and prescription pain killer abuse) epidemic. I think it seems to be affecting mostly white middle class people. I honestly don't know what's fueling it.
>>
File: American-Swedish love.jpg (274 KB, 415x626) Image search: [Google]
American-Swedish love.jpg
274 KB, 415x626
>>62066549
Why? That's so unfriendly of you
>>
>>62066603
Within academia, yes, it's similar.

However, we have a lot of "market" oriented PhDs, whose graduates join industry and not academia, this is not encouraged in those programs (including medical school, law school etc...).

This is implied by many academics across a variety of departments in the US, but not all. For example, neuroscientists, often do animal research. As a result, my professors that I've worked with have all advised me to try and get a feel for a person before being honest about what I do and study.

Also, most universities are run like businesses here, so shareholders and administrative staff will discourage moral and social responsibility that wouldn't benefit the university.
>>
>>62066270
t. Tim Johnson
>>
>>62066620
It's always existed, opioid addiction rates have not gone up despite news reports. It's simply being reported more because more upper middle class and rich white people keep dying of overdoses, and in a traditional american fashion we see this as "tragic".
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.