[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exciting City
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
After spending a lot of time on /int/ I often see posters complain about how their country's biggest cities are shitty for the same reasons.

People like to list off the same reasons every time as to why their big international city is so shit:
>muh housing prices going up
>muh high cost of living
>muh lack of culture
>it's boring

The first few are unavoidable: a big city, especially one in the 1st world is bound to have high costs, but that last one especially grinds at me. Everyone seems to say that their city is boring. I've heard people say that Los Angeles is boring. London is boring. Berlin is boring. Singapore is boring. Hong Kong is boring. Another live example >>62023592 says that Sydney/Australia in general (among other things) is boring.

I'm not deliberately targeting any one country here; these are all things that I've heard people say in self hate of their own country. I come from a tiny city which I think is truly boring 11 months out of the year and wouldn't mind living in many of these big cities that people always love to berate.

So, /int/ what's a big city that offers a good quality of life, that amongst other desirable factors and most importantly of all... IS NOT BORING? All you self loathers who hate your country's big cities, tell me, where do you think is so good?
>>
>>62031859
I love Australia I don't care what anyone says. I was blessed to be born here billions of people would kill to be born in a first world country. I've already lived a better life then most ever will dream of and this guy has the audacity to complain about housing prices and it's boring what an idiot I live in North Brisbane, I can walk outside and feel safe, I can sleep safe, I'll always have food and water I'm blessed.
>>
People hate cities because they're left wing and full of shitskins.
>>
I grew up and live in Seattle. I love saying that. I think it's a cool city.

Grunge is alive and well here. Lots of mountains and water. A definite attitude of "you adopted the hipsterdom, I was raised in it, molded by it" among natives. No matter what kind of life they're living, everyone is a huge snob. It's quite clean, we give a shit about the environment. Few black people, no (visible) muslims.
>>
>>62032057
Exactly man, people on this board who live in big 1st world cities and then have the audacity to moan with a laundry list of complaints don't realize how good they actually have it and their """complaints""" are so small in the grand scheme of things.

Like, yeah, so what your housing prices in Sydney/Paris/NYC are going through the roof, at least you can drink the water in your city, explore it or can use public transportation all without concern for your safety.

Those who complain about living in a 1st world huge city need to find some hobbies and/or friends to do them with.

>>62032396
My neighbor moved to Seattle. He's a pretty cool guy, the most outdoorsy type of person I know. He has like 5 different bikes, goes hunting, etc all while having a 6 figure job, smokin' hot wife and his second kid on the way. Seattle sounds kinda cool but I have heard (like any other city though to be fair) a number of minor complaints about the place, the biggest of which it's IN YOUR FACE liberal in a lot of ways.
>>
>>62031859
lve lived in Tokyo since i was kid. Big cities dont interest me anymore despite me being pretty much a sci-fi lover and having a taste of urban life. The reason is because the internet actually has changed everything in my life.

Today you can buy whatever you want and whenever on the internet, and the internet even actually has the advantage that you can find out the latest and international stuff over a local big city.

Walking around Tokyo and dropping in small shops and discovering the latest/unknown shit were actually fun in the past, but most of them are out of business and closed. Now, only those shitty global brands retail stores and franchised dealers remain.

Big cities are all about restaurant and amusement industries, and global brands retails. The rest is just "public spaces" that have nothing special and just get many people together.

Theres no interesting "culture" anymore. If you like a normie night life, you'll like it though. I wont get out of here unless i can get to live a city in a foreign country because im too lazy to move to another unfamiliar city and think every other place in this country is the same.
>>
>>62033209
>Today you can buy whatever you want and whenever on the internet, and the internet even actually has the advantage that you can find out the latest and international stuff over a local big city.
>Walking around Tokyo and dropping in small shops and discovering the latest/unknown shit were actually fun in the past, but most of them are out of business and closed. Now, only those shitty global brands retail stores and franchised dealers remain.

This, especially the second part, makes me pretty sad but you'll have that with globalization.

>Theres no interesting "culture" anymore.
This is a pretty pessimistic outlook, and in a way I kind of understand it, but I refuse to accept it. Especially if you look away from huge 1st world cities, you'll find culture surely, but even within those huge 1st world cities, I think they each can have a culture or identity of their own. If you disagree, why?
>>
bump

tell me /int/, where's the good cities that are both livable and not boring?
>>
>>62031859
> Singapore is boring. Hong Kong is boring.

Why would you consider any of those cities as boring? Been to both and I would definetly like to live there for a longer time.

Only german city where I would like to live is Hamburg. The others suck, escpecially Frankfurt and Cologne but both probably aren't really considered as 'big' on a global scale.
>>
File: berlin-charlottenburg-funkturm.jpg (369 KB, 1280x842) Image search: [Google]
berlin-charlottenburg-funkturm.jpg
369 KB, 1280x842
>>62031859
Berlin is 3rd world but at the same time the best city in Germany
>>
File: manse1.jpg (103 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
manse1.jpg
103 KB, 1000x667
>>62031859
Tampere has enough culture, nightlife and other shit for me.
>>
File: samahomoilu.jpg (54 KB, 665x541) Image search: [Google]
samahomoilu.jpg
54 KB, 665x541
>>62035215
Is Schöneberg shitty?
t. was there week ago
>>
File: p1406_29-07-11.jpg (194 KB, 1024x744) Image search: [Google]
p1406_29-07-11.jpg
194 KB, 1024x744
>>62035413
yes
>>
>>62033757
IMO "urban culture" is universally dead. At least all of those big cities in the 1st world dont have a factor to generate something new and a cutting edge, and have completely become repetitive. To me, being international and doing cosmopolitanic shit have always meant "being urban", Thats what I learned in my past life of Tokyo, but now its really hard to say this is the place to do it.

Still "local" "its own" cultures remain for sure, but local is local. It doesnt lead up to the "international" or "urban" culture, no matter whether it comes from a famous megalopolis. And the localism doesnt have a power to produce anything new to identify this city as a desirable big one. Though I dont think multi culuti is the alternative way for making a new culture either.

In my very personal opinion, now this city actually needs more gaijin residents who have an "urban" background and know another cultural way to reactivate and redefine or else destroy that repetitive "local" cultures. Otherwise, the stagnation couldnt be settled. But this is just all in my opinion.
>>
>>62035540
okay
atleast the immigrants there were nice
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I believe Melbourne was voted the most livable. Almost any city in Italy would be great for culture I assume. I live in NYC and can't complain much. With the increase in price comes way safer neighborhoods which I appreciate. I'm just paying off the mortgage on my place now so the increasing prices don't actually affect me much. There are plenty of things to do and the public transportation is pretty good when it works. I can only really complain about the garbage but even that is slowly getting better.
>>
>>62031859
I can't stand them honestly
every megacity (in north America at least) is the exact same and they all have their air of hollow materialism. the "culture" there is much the same, generic and detached from life beyond cosmopolitan society.

tiny cities are boring as well, honestly I grew up in a rural town and enjoyed it much more than the years I lived in Toronto for school. there was so much more freedom and openness to everything.

also I hate the crowds and attitudes of people, they disgust me.
>>
File: berlin_sozialpalast_2005_v.jpg (269 KB, 568x850) Image search: [Google]
berlin_sozialpalast_2005_v.jpg
269 KB, 568x850
>>62035618
they're wannabe gangsters who bully german beta kids
>>
>>62035365
You seem to have posted the Russian city of Commiebloksk' by mistake instead of Tampere!
>>
>>62035721
As the son of a farmer I can't really say I felt all that free.
>>
>>62031859
I have lived in Moscow and Melbourne for the most of my life and both are extremely cool cities with nothing boring about them. They are completely different and great/fun in different ways but still are.

I also lived in Brisbane for 8 months and while I liked it there too, i wouldn't even call it a city to be honest.
>>
>>62036306
>a city of 2 million
>not a city at all

now das a metropolitan attitude. My idea of a large city is Zagreb (700k people), and Vienna/Belgrade with their 2 million people are megalopolises.
>>
>>62036449
What do you consider a city with a population of 13million?
>>
>>62036449
You don't understand. In Europe even smaller cities have that feel to them as everything that make them feel like ones (such as public spaces, entertainment, hospitality establishments and other things like that) distributed significantly more even across the place compared to the American style cities, which have it all in a smallish downtown (aka CBD in Australia) and pretty much nothing in residential suburbs.

Melbourne has a significantly stronger city feel to it as it has its famous tram streets that sprawl for kilometers from the CBD having all kinds of shops, cafes and things like that along them.

Brisbane on the other hand is just a collection of dull purely residential areas, the vast majority of which do not have absolutely any kind of urban infrastructure elements, just roads and houses with an occasional bus stop. It's essentially a huge village.

I know it's super simplistic but should be good enough to make my point clear.

As for Vienna, I'm sure it feels much more urban than any Australian city ever could.
>>
>>62036874
its the density and ammount of stuff at the city center

a city like Dallas feels shitty because its huge and sprawling everywhere with a very low density, meanwhile a city with like 100k people can feel bigger if it has a developed core and high density
>>
>>62037068
Yeah, pretty much. I'm not sure if Dallas is a good example though, compared to places like Winnipeg or Salt Lake City.
>>
IMO the only comparable city to the capital (Zagreb) is Rijeka, which basically is a smaller Zagreb on the coast.

>have the most money
>don't have to deal with dirty dalmoshes
>no tourists
>best infrastructure (15 tram lines, 50+ buses, internet averages 30+ mbit/s etc.)
>>
>>62031859

how you experience a city or any place depends on: a. the people you hang out with there, and b. your itnerests

if youre a normie at least oyu have A

if youre not a normie and are an ignorant idiot who doesnt care about history, architecture, urban planning, social behaviour, int cuisine or anything
youre gonna have a bad time anywhere, better killl yourself

in my experience my best travels have been so because of the people i was with, not necesarily of the place i go. but its even better if your group all has the same interests, so A and B

in short, youre boring, not the cities
>>
>>62031859
You generally have two choices, places that are either:

a) boring, expensive, well maintained, filled with joggers, located somewhere with a moderate climate or
b) 'exciting', cheap, polluted, dangerous for people who don't ride a car everywhere, located somewhere with an extreme climate

If you think there are places that combine the 'rich culture and busy nightlife' of 3rd world-tier hellholes and the civility and infrastructural standards of gentrified white neighborhoods, you are wrong.
>>
>>62031859
The more I travel the more I appreciate my city Melbourne.
>>
>>62037709
Although I might add that this place has sprawled so much that the outskirts feel terribly generic.
I used to live 40km from the CBD, so it really wasn't that nice then
>>
>>62037246
It looks like a commie nightmare pressed against a rocky cliff. Worst Croatian city ever.
>>
>>62037856
Outskirts of every big city in the world are generic.
>>
>>62037669
You should visit Brazil, my friend.
>>
>>62035565
Are you a japanese local, a child of foreigner(s), or an immigrant? You have a very interesting perspective.
>>
>>62037856
What's living in the capital like?
>>
>>62031859
The second-biggest city is okay, Cuckholm is "special". We don't hate it for any of the reasons you mentioned. The housing market is fucked, but that's just what happens when Swedish law meets reality.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.