[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eastern Euroes, without memes, what rough percentage of people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Eastern_Europe.png (77 KB, 2079x1269) Image search: [Google]
Eastern_Europe.png
77 KB, 2079x1269
Eastern Euroes, without memes, what rough percentage of people in your countries can understand Russian?

Central Asians welcome to fill in as well.
>>
>>61808521
less then 0.1%
>>
no one understands russian here maybe if they are from Poland B than something
>>
My parents can understand some since during commies they had to learn it. Young generation its under 1%
>>
like 20 people
>>
>>61808708
can confirm I was born and raised in Poland B and speak fluent Russian
>>
>>61808708
>>61808997
And if it's in written form, Latinised? Shouldn't it be intelligible then? I mean I can understand >90% of Dutch "everyday" text (let's say a random Wikipedia article), if it doesn't heavily employ regionalisms or slang, thought Russian would have the same distance to Polish/Czech
>>
>>61809151
Russian has a shitload of Turkic and French vocabulary, Polish has a shitload of Latin and German

if you're acquainted with Russian grammar (or just from Poland B, rustic dialects are very similar to Russian) you could get the gist of what is being spoken/written, but no more than that

people like to say that "hurr I understand Russian" but in reality few people actually learn it, most of them from the east
>>
Basic russian understand 34% of people, most of them are people who have 40 y.o. and more.
I know basics as well. As a polish speaker,when you have learned cyrylic and know how they construct sentences then all you have to do is to learn vocabulary. While in english we have to learn new tenses which is hard.
>>
>>61809256
Well for me Dutch if spoken or in songs, I can only make out one word per sentence at best, but when reading a text it's much much easier. Of course I also cannot speak it myself, but "passive" reading is easy enough if you concentrate a little and use some imagination. I'd guess Russian would be similar for you if there weren't the "Cyrillic barrier" (then again I did learn Cyrillic just for the giggles a couple years ago, and knowing the Greek alphabet from math and physics classes, it literally took me just a few hours - don't speak a word of Russian though, apart from a handful of 4chan-introduced swears like suka, pidor etc.)
>>
>>61809422
it's a matter of positive/negative transfer

when languages share some features and you understand something without any formal study, it's called positive transfer

when languages differ in some aspect and you trying to apply your own native sensibilities fails you, it's called negative transfer

it is true that a lot of Russian is easily understandable, but far more is subject to negative transfer

it's infinitely easier to understand Ukrainian, as it's kind of a pidgin, connecting Polish and Russian
>>
>>61809384
is this google translate?
>>
>>61809516
Weird, thought Ukrainian was just a dialect of Russian with randomly replacing "o"s for "i"s
>>
>>61809532
No, am I that bad?
>>
>those countries
>eastern europe

aww baby's first bait
>>
>>61809597
when looking at language families, it's more helpful to think of a continuum, rather than individual languages

especially before the universal codification and mass literacy languages were much more "fluid" in nature and Ukrainian is of the the relicts of that period - not really a language per se until very recently, it remains a bridge connecting West Slavs (specifically Poles, as they interacted mainly with Poles) and East Slavs
>>
>>61809613
Heh, maybe it's your earlier part
>Basic russian understand 34% of people
which would be exactly the same way we'd construct that sentence, but it's off in English
>>61809667
South-East can be subsumed under East, ya know
>>61809687
Well for Germanic at least, this only works within the subgroups. So, West Germanic (minus English) is a continuum, so is North Germanic (minus Icelandic and Faroese), but inter-group there isn't much of a similarity among the borders. Danish is no closer to German than Swedish or Norwegian are, even though Danish is geographically closer. If you spin that further it becomes more obvious: Polish is not intrinsically (i.e. loanwords excluded) closer to German than Russian is to German
>>
File: 1464853401765.jpg (346 KB, 892x944) Image search: [Google]
1464853401765.jpg
346 KB, 892x944
>>61808708
>Poland B
Poland A is fucking Russian so stop lying
>>
>>61809803
it generally works within the subgroups and it is the reason for their existence, their raison d'etre if you will

languages such as Ukrainian are peculiar because they are so young codification-wise, young enough to remain blurry
>>
>>61808553
All the old people speak Russian
>>
File: images.png (8 KB, 184x274) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8 KB, 184x274
>>61809256
>a shitload of Turkic vocabulary
>something like 1% of the total amount of words
>shitload
>>
>>61808521
I'm sorry, but I'm Central European.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.