[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Languages that are a must know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: Jeremy Clarkson Memes (16).jpg (84 KB, 440x605) Image search: [Google]
Jeremy Clarkson Memes (16).jpg
84 KB, 440x605
1. English, the lingua franca, trade is conducted in it, most everywhere you travel there will be an english speaker to tell you where the bathroom is, and knowing english lets you interactivo with other shitposting autists on a comic forum.

2. Spanish maybe? I use it primarily to order food at El Ranchito and talk to my family members. But thats just me. I'm sure theres other uses for it.

3. French? You can talk to some canadians and cajuns with it.

4.?
>>
>>61793708
Russian - to understand the orders of the occupation administration
Chinese - to ask for food after day work
>>
American English, tho
>>
>>61793708

For Europe (here, anyway) German is the most useful to learn from a business point of view.
But Spanish and French can be useful and interesting to know
>>
>English - international language, language of the majority of the developed world
>Mandarin - language of a major world power and economic player
>Spanish - used in a large number of countries. Good gateway to learning Italian.
>Russian - recognisable in almost all former USSR nations

I'm genuinely a bit confused as to why French is still considered relevant? Someone?
>>
Chinese, for the qts
>>
>>61794142
French is still the diplomacy language worldwide.
>>
>>61793708
chicano
>>
>>61793865
You do not need to know Chinese in China, HK, Taiwan, or Singapore. English signs and menus in every major city. Many English speakers since English is a mandatory subject from preschool to College in mainland too.
>>
>>61793708
>ideally
English
French & German to be able to read the humanities
Latin & Greek to understand terminologies
Russian to be able to read the great authors
>optionally
Spanish and Italian to be able to read some more of the classics, and also for the purpose of communication
Chinese & Japanese, since they're high cultures too, but it takes up too much time for a mere dabbler.
>>
>>61794396
I'm under the distinct impression that both English and French are the official diplomacy languages.
>>
>>61794142
There are a lot of french speaker in europe they do business in french.
>>
>>61793708
>That pic
Isn't that illegal in some states/cities? My cousin rented a car in the US and did that shit all the time, but once he entered New York, he got arrested for it.
>>
>>61793708
>everywhere you travel there will be an english speaker to tell you where the bathroom is
Ah, accept in America where they don't use the word "Bathroom" you fucking FoB.
>>
>>61794142
Because why not
>>
Hungarian

Nem? Kurva anyatók
>>
>>61794992
Why would they use the word "bathroom" when it doesn't even have a bath/shower, you fucking mong. It makes perfect sense imo.
>>
>>61794797
Also Africa is the population growth continent
>>
>>61794911
Not that I know of. You have to come to a stop before you turn if it's red, and some cops get their panties in a twist of you don't come to a full stop
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKcJ-0bAHB4
Seriously what the fuck America
And Argentina was equally bad
>>
>>61794491
Most mainlanders can't speak English for shit though, and the ones you meet who can actually hold a conversation with you are likely to scam you. Fuck, I went to Beijing recently and the hotel I stayed in was on the campus of the Beijing International Studies University, and the building also had the accommodation for foreign students in it, but the receptionist spoke no English what so ever which made trying to get my keycard to work again an experience and a half.

I went to Beijing with university and we met students from the partner university who were doing English related masters degrees or something along those lines and I got the impression that they'd either had little interaction with native English speakers since they started studying English in primary school (or whenever they started), or they had only been studying English for a few years. Some of them were able to articulate their thoughts fairly well, but others seemed to be struggling.

Sure, their English was much better than my Mandarin, but they were all older than me and the English of the Europeans their age that I've met is much better. I suppose that could be because most European languages have more similarities to English than Mandarin does.

>>61794911
yes it varies from state to state, and I would think it also varies from city to city and county to county

>>61794709
If you speak French here, it makes you look like you're educated. That's why I might start studying French along side Mandarin when I go back to university.
>>
>>61794142

- Half of africa speaks french (considered the futur demographic evolution of the continent, that means several hundred of millions speakers)

- in the same way the french population in europe is the only one growing

- french is still the official language of most international organisations (IOC, UN, EU, IMF, FIFA, European council, etc), and thus the main diplomatic language with english

Typical anglo-saxon french-bashing
>>
>>61795429
>>61794797
>>61794396

ty for your genuine answers gents.
>>
>>61795019
Because English is better and nasal/guttural sounds are disgusting
>>
>>61795447
And you, but you assume I'm French bashing when really I was actually curious. Don't be so defensive Frenchbro.
>>
>>61795447
>half
More like 1 in 10 people
Still impressive though
I'd imagine English is the same or a bit less
>>
1. English for the obvious reasons
2. Finnish for memes
>>
Japanese for weeb reasons.
>>
>>61795595
I meant half the countries. That's true, many people only speak vernacular tongues, but most of these tongues are losing grounds thx to/because of (i don't know) a growing education level, french language taking advantage of this
>>
you know well
>>
File: 1465418541272.gif (719 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1465418541272.gif
719 KB, 200x189
1. English
2. Mandarin
3. Spanish
4. French?
5. German?

Agreeable?
>>
1. English 2. Spanish 3. French 4. German
5. Russian or Arabic
>>
>>61793708
Slovene so you can talk to the most powerful race in the world and English so you can shitpost. Everything else is optional.

>>61794314
>not Korean and/or Japanese
>>
>>61793708

English is number 1.
No time in history has one far reaching empire been supplanted by another far reaching empire that spoke the same language (British then American empires). This compounding of language guarantees that English will be with us for hundreds of years.

Spanish is number 2. All other regions have been firmly dominated by the empires, and are diverse, and so english is their natural go to language. Not just for within their own little diverse world, but also with the outside. But spanish world has been mostly developed along its own world, is homogeneous, and has a lot of economic and manufacturing potential. Also growing population. It'll have to be dealt with.

Those are the only ones you need to know. Everyone else will learn english, and then there's this spanish continent.
>>
>>61794314
for you arabic/somaleese
>>
Assuming everyone everywhere in the world is able to speak English I'd say the only languages that are a must know are the ones spoken in your target country...

If you gonna travel to Japan, Korea and China, then learn all them languages.

Otherwise measuring unexistant fantasy dick sizes between languages is just plain stupid.
>>
>>61805508
>spanish world has been mostly developed along its own world, is homogeneous, and has a lot of economic and manufacturing potential. Also growing population. It'll have to be dealt with.

>and then there's this spanish continent.

there's also spain you know
>>
>>61793708
It's pretty irritating to see a British person insult the United States using a plagiarized joke originally written by an American comedian
>>
>>61794992
I don't know what you're talking about, everyone calls it a bathroom here.
>>
>>61794992
He's right, we call it the piss closet
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.