[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadians explain.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
What kind of language is this?? Why do you guys have to translate every single native language onto your signs?
>>
>>61772745
EXPLAIN
>>
That's eskimo script basically. But it's not even 200 years old right? Why didn't they go with the latin alphabet?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPGAbctSHuY
>>
>>61772745
>Why do you guys have to translate every single native language onto your signs?

Because it makes feel multicultural and sheit. Even though almost all those languages are dying and most of the natives are too illiterate/drunk to understand them.

Seriously, it mostly in the Territories and northern communities where white do live in because they suck so much not even Maritimers and Manitobians would live there. Sometime people propose "removing" the "colonial" names and "restoring" the "original" names, but that often comes to nothing.
>>
>>61772745
innuit I supose

cool language
>>
>>61772745
actually looks cool, like hebrew
>>
>>61773157
>>61773310

Do you guys know where this script originated from? Why is it triangles and pyramids?
>>
>>61773049
Is the language really that young? Don't all native american languages at least predate the white man? Scripts exist whenever there's stuff to write on, like leaves or tablets. I guess Eskimos could've started writing on bones or some shit.
>>
>>61774236
They're kind of like runes, they're made to be easy to carve. They used whale bone instead of rock though.
>>
>>61773049

WHY DON'T YOU GOOGLE SHIT TO VERIFY BEFORE OPENING YOUR MOUTH??!!!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree_syllabics

Inuit syllabics uses symbols based on Cree script, developed in the 1830s, which are used for several other aboriginal languages.

There's several reasons for developing the original syllabic script, James Evans being a little full of himself for starters. But it is well designed, especially impressively so for an 1830s non-academic, and syllabaries/abigudas are generally more "natural" to learn and use than phonetic alphabets.
>>
>>61772745
I never ever see anything written in Cree where I live mate. You're just making shit up.
>>
No. English and French are the only Official languages.

That sign is in Yellowknife, so it makes sense that they would also put native languages on it just in case (Most are pretty much dead anyway but whatever).

There is still Ukrainian on the old hospital signs in my town, even though it's pretty much pointless nowadays
>>
>>61774488
spoken language =/= written language
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.