[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did this word originate in Britain or Murica?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: fam.png (5 KB, 292x292) Image search: [Google]
fam.png
5 KB, 292x292
Did this word originate in Britain or Murica?
>>
I don't picture any brit ever saying that, though.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
21 KB, 480x360
Watchu think famalamaingdong
>>
>>61767203
greece
>>
>>61767235
Listen to grime. It is replete with this word
>>
>>61767335
Could've come from the Caribbeans now that I think about it
>>
>>61767203
FAMine originated in Ireland.
>>
File: 1463616585737.png (511 KB, 836x964) Image search: [Google]
1463616585737.png
511 KB, 836x964
>America
>White
>>
>>61767203

I've been hearing it for years and years here (well, London) but only recently from Americans. I'd assume here, but I'm not sure.
>>
>>61767437
it did, london slag has a lot of caribbean influence

>>61767644
good post
>>
>>61767644
underrated
>>
>>61767203
It probably passed from the UK to the U.S. via cultural exchange in music and shit. Like 'Bro' and 'Dude'.
>>
>>61768050
Bro and dude most certainly did not originate in the UK
>>
>>61767965
>Muh germanic heritage
>Muh 46% white
>Muh south is white

Uh uh Ah ah
>>
>>61768259
I'm saying that it's example of a word that originated in one country and migrated to another
>>
Its from british nigs
>>
>>61768259
he's probably means the other way, normies always use yankisms

f a m is london nigger slang, yanks only started using it recently
>>
>>61767763
Why is Argentina 3rd world if it's white?
>>
>>61768390
Economic mismanagement

They definitely have the potential for being first world

Just look at the cunt during the internetwar period.
>tfw will never live in Argentina then
>>
>>61767203
It actually originates from the latin word 'familia'. Roman scholars oft used it as a contraction, chiseling letters to stone is not an easy task.
>>
>>61767885
dunnoe same ting in toronto mon mandem be mint allie
>>
bruv i can spot all the wasteman in this thread senpai be talkin ALL SORTS RUBBISH.
>>
>>61768390
Shitty people
>>
From Latin i.e. Romans

Early 15c., "servants of a household," from Latin familia "family servants, domestics collectively, the servants in a household," thus also "members of a household, the estate, property; the household, including relatives and servants," abstract noun formed from famulus "servant, slave," which is of unknown origin.

The Latin word rarely appears in the sense "parents with their children," for which domus (see domestic (adj.)) was used. Derivatives of famulus include famula "serving woman, maid," famulanter "in the manner of a servant," famulitas "servitude," familiaris "of one's household, private," familiaricus "of household slaves," familiaritas "close friendship."

In English, sense of "collective body of persons who form one household under one head and one domestic government, including parents, children, and servants, and as sometimes used even lodgers or boarders" [Century Dictionary] is from 1540s. From 1660s as "parents with their children, whether they dwell together or not," also in a more general sense, "persons closely related by blood, including aunts, uncles, cousins;" earlier "those who descend from a common progenitor, a house, a lineage" (1580s). Hence, "any group of things classed as kindred based on common distinguishing characteristics" (1620s); as a scientific classification, between genus and order, from 1753.

Replaced Old English hiwscipe, hiwan "family," cognate with Old Norse hjon "one of the household; married couple, man and wife; domestic servant," and with Old High German hiwo "husband," hiwa "wife," also with Lithuanian šeimyna "family," Gothic haims "village," Old English ham "village, home" (see home (n.)).
>>
>>61771940
/thread
>>
>>61771940
so... hang on a moment. If I'm understanding you correctly, I take your post to mean that

WE
>>
>>61772089

WUZ
>>
>>61772127
ROMANZ AND SHIT
>>
>>61767644
ahah
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.