[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you want to learn another indo-european language but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 132784653113.jpg (52 KB, 887x874) Image search: [Google]
132784653113.jpg
52 KB, 887x874
>tfw you want to learn another indo-european language but you hate grammatical genders and stupid arbitrary rules

Bilingual forever.
>>
>learning french
>all those irregular verbs
MERDE
>>
Sometimes I feel like knowing one language is too much. Why isn't telepathy a thing yet?
>>
>>61709356
technically they only have to build a chip that can be implanted in someone's head powered by the brain's electricity, which is capable of recieving signals from a set distance - let's say 10 meters, also translating thoughts into binary code accurately every time.

The first part is easy the last item on the other hand is bordering on impossible.
>>
>>61709689
Huh, I didn't expect a serious response to my lazy post.
Yeah, I think science is making great strides in beginning to at least understand the "pictures" that the brain builds when thinking of things, but it unfortunately has more dark implications than happy ones because understanding what a person is thinking is a very dangerous thing for when it comes to civil liberties and privacy versus security.
http://www.npr.org/2015/07/20/424571440/scientists-say-they-can-read-your-mind-and-prove-it-with-pictures
http://www.livescience.com/53535-computer-reads-thoughts-instantaneously.html
(These are very reputable sources, by the way)
>>
>>61709866
I didn't intend it to be that serious, I just thought through what needs to happen in order for telepathy to exist. It looked pretty straightforward to me. Well, minus the coding part. Also the skull is pretty thick so getting a signal through that may be problematic. Maybe it'd be more wise to implant it next to the ear canal, so when it recieves a signal it could broadcast it to the ear instead? uh, details.

Anyway yes, I've heard about those studies, and I personally can't wait until I can record my dreams casually. Or finally browse through my memories! I'm not a visual person, so it'd help me tremendously to uncover things I'd forgetten or misremembered. Displaying my memories as a hologram for example.
But yes, privacy is a major concern here. In Hungary there's a saying how they (enemies) can take everything from you but what's in here - and they point to their head. So that could be a serious issue.
>>
>>61710388
I'm unfortunately one of those people that never remember their dreams. I used to when I was a kid so I would love to experience it again.
> In Hungary there's a saying how they (enemies) can take everything from you but what's in here - and they point to their head.
That's really interesting.
Thanks for the short conversation, anon, I need to get going.
>>
>>61709356
Do Americans have more than one mandatory language throughout 1st to 9th grade?
>>
>>61715469
Most school systems force you to take multiple years of a language of your choice, typically Spanish, French or German.
>>
>>61709101
Afrikaans.
>>
>>61715581
So, two mandatory languages, but one can be chosen? Damn
>>
>>61715748
it's only mandatory for 2 years
>>
>>61715748
Well, English is obviously a given, but then another language like Spanish, yeah.
>>
>>61715862

Here, it is mandatory to learn Faroese (obviously), Danish and English and if you want to pursue humanities studies you have to take German as well for the last two years of primary school.
>>
>>61715997
primary school being what ages?
>>
>>61715997
I'm starting to wonder just how many countries expect people to be at least trilingual by the time they're 16
>>
>>61716169

6/7 to 14/15
>>
>>61716181
It's somewhat similar here in a sense, only most people don't really learn the third one, but rather squeeze their way through the curriculum.

>Norwegian + English from day 1
>French, Spanish, German, Italian*, Chinese* or Japanese* from 13 years of age onward until you're done
*Offered by roughly one in 4 schools
>>
>Portuguese (obviously)

English mandatory Grades 3-11, with a lot of contact with English-speaking shows (almost no dubs). Some people opt to take English Classes in private schools (British Council) to get the ESOL certificate, but that's rare. Some cable channels are also full English. I initially learned English through cartoon network and pokemon games.

2nd Language mandatory grades 7-9 (usually French, some Spanish). The hardest part of French (verbs) isn't that hard for us to learn because we share it. The difficulty comes from expressions and gendered objects, which do not match ours at all.

Some informal contact with Spanish over the years, mostly through shared cable satellite and it being a simpler language to speak, phonetically. The grammar is similar so we have no trouble with that.

Overall, I think it's not too bad, especially for a poorer, somewhat isolated country. It's a lot of Romance languages, though, wouldn't mind some Nordic or Germanic for the fun of it.

Also bump.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.