[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the US educational system really that bad when compared to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 276x183) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 276x183
Is the US educational system really that bad when compared to other “first-world” nations? Also how's the educational system in your cunt/or state?
>>
>>61668031
I have met some American who are so incredibly stupid that I felt even fear.
After the years, I heard that there are a number of American don't receive any education in school
because American law is approving homeschooling.
so I understand now that some of the American I met rose up under that situation.
>>
File: CNwytQJU8AAwAVS.png (55 KB, 399x320) Image search: [Google]
CNwytQJU8AAwAVS.png
55 KB, 399x320
>>61668031
Here the public education is too bad. If you don´t study in a private school or take extra class, you have already lose your time.
>>
>>61668031

Well.

I know a person who studies at MIT. Dual major in CS and Math.

She showed me her schedule. I was like, okay, that looks reasonable for first year, it's like ours.

"Yes" she said "but that's the second year"
>>
>Is the US educational system really that bad when compared to other “first-world” nations?
I belive so
>Also how's the educational system in your cunt/or state?
Terrible, exams make sure only a few get the quality public unis, and even those cant compare to 1st world nations
>>
Isn't education really different from state to state?
I heard some states like NY are nordic-level and others like Alabama or something were third world tier
>>
File: image.png (340 KB, 3788x1052) Image search: [Google]
image.png
340 KB, 3788x1052
>>61668687
Was it geography that they were stupid on? Becuase in that case most Americans are absolute shit at geography.
>>
>Is the US educational system really that bad when compared to other “first-world” nations?
Probably as far as high school goes. Some of my professors complain about our system being too theory and memorisation-oriented while Americans deal more with learning actual practical skills.
>Also how's the educational system in your cunt/or state?
If you had good enough grades to go to a gymnasium, it's good, if not, you're flushed down the toilet by being in the vocational schools. Private high schools are mostly bad and full of people who were too dumb to go to a proper gymnasium, but have wealthy parents. Same goes for private unis, here.
>>
>>61668031
Why "lessons are stopped" is written on the board ?
>>
>>61670384
Yep
>>
>>61668031
My sister said US schools are very bad compared to here, but she live there long ago, idk how it is now since we broke up and dont talk now.
>>
File: HaX0kXW.jpg (49 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
HaX0kXW.jpg
49 KB, 600x800
>>61670472
I think the perceived American ignorance of geography and world history is more of a stereotype than a fact.

Americans generally lag when it comes to math and science.
>>
>>61670481

We have a different system here.

Our "senior high" is divided into programs. at the top you have the natural science/technology programs which qualify you to academic studies. Then you have "society" which qualifies you for the humanities. Then you have vocational stuff like nursing, industry, etc.

Most wealthy kids who aren't academics go to the natural science program per default.

I went through it, got good grades. It's what I'd expect a top-class math/science HS to give me. Good teacher-student contact, teachers could recommend literature, etc. I suppose if I was actually wealthy I could have afforded private tutoring which is the only thing I can imagine would have been an improvement. The number of people who went to those two programs was like a really low part of the general population however.

Humanities side kinda-sorta sucked though but it generally does here in Sweden. We're not really good at being "intellectual".
>>
>>61668031

the 'dumb' yanks you meet aren't dumb, maybe just ignorant or at best sheltered
>>
>>61670904

Furthermore I have a relative who works for Stanford. He was over for some education-cooperation thing to improve public schools.

He put his kids in a Mormon school just because he couldn't find a public high school good enough for them.
>>
File: sumail2.jpg (781 KB, 1099x734) Image search: [Google]
sumail2.jpg
781 KB, 1099x734
I watched a video interview with Sumail like a year ago, a 16yo dota player who moved from Pakistan to USA and he said he doesn't study or do any homework, just going to school is enough, while in Pakistan he had to work much harder
>>
>>61668031
Common Core standards should be breaching the gap in our education system. Kids in elementary school right now here should graduate with as much knowledge/skill as other first world countries. Common Core is basically a standard the government set by looking at what countries with the best scores in education do and then doing those things instead of our crappy things.
>>
>>61670322

Don't they go to college at age 18 though? I've got the impression that Finnish (and probably Swedish) gymnasium overlaps with their first year of college and potentially more if they haven't taken Calculus I and II in high school.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.