[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who has experience learning languages using resources in a language
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: T-ARA-Hyomin3-540x405.jpg (47 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
T-ARA-Hyomin3-540x405.jpg
47 KB, 540x405
Who has experience learning languages using resources in a language different to your native tongue? I have a goal of learning chinese, japanese, and korean, starting with korean, the apparent easiest. I read that these languages are very similar and speakers of one can swiftly learn the other two, so I was thinking of cutting the middle man and learning the next language in the last. Would this be advisable?
>>
>>61516370
Japanese and Korean are similar each other in grammar, but Chinese is much different from the two.
>>
>>61516370
>I read that these languages are very similar and speakers of one can swiftly learn the other two
"no"
>>
>>61516370
I am learning Spanish by using my Latin knowledge
Not similar to your situation but still...knowing Latin grammar and especially vocabulary helps, a lot
>>
hahaha
Friend, no.
Chinese is a sino-tibetan language, unrelated to both Korean and Japanese.

Japanese and Korean are still being debated wether they are related or not.

Japanese makes use of traditional Chinese script and their own forms of script.

Koreans have their own sript which isn't even logographic like Chinese.

How can you not know this? Didn't you make any research yet into them? Where did this desire of your appear?
>>
>>61516654
>>61516960
They are actually not that related. Japanese is closer to Austronesian languages while Korean is closer to Siberian
>>
>>61516960
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Xenic_pronunciations
>>
Is it even possible for Westerners to master the Chinese tones? I've never seen it done
>>
>>61517215
Learn Khmer or Mongolian, young learner
They have no tones, and you will speak a language or thr glorious Khmer people, or the mighty Mongols
>>
>>61516370
>starting with korean, the apparent easiest
Where's your basis on this claim?

>>61517055
>Japanese is closer to Austronesian languages while Korean is closer to Siberian
Hell no, both Korean and Japanese belng to independent language family.
>>
File: image.gif (113 KB, 971x707) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
113 KB, 971x707
Of Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, which language do you like the most?
>>
>>61517215
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_QgtydKjk}
Yes,
>>
>>61517330
He was probably thinking of writing only.
>>
>>61517055
Now you wanna categolize us as warm-headed Abbos???
Aiyo~~ We are family of Tibetan or Dong ethnic actually.many studies of gene have explained this many times.
>>
>>61517432

Language and genetics go hand-in-hand, after all.
>>
>>61516370
>wanting to learn THREE Asian languages
What is it with Americans and yellow fever?
>>
>>61516960
학생 hak-saeng
学生 gaku-sei
学生 xué-shēng
coincidentally these mean the same thing

>>61517330
lack of fucking kanji, more individual sounds therefore less homonyms, etc, etc
>>
>>61516960
why spoon-feed the unwilling?
>>
Native Spanish and English speaker here, I learned Japanese enough to get accepted to a Japanese university but I'm pretty much a Koreaboo so I'm learning Korean now, yeah some words are similar but this is more likely due to Japan having conquered Korea for a while. Some basic concepts do carry over, like Subject-Object-Verb order sentences and the use of particles, yes understanding the concept in one will make it a little easier in the other but really besides that they are quite separate languages, nothing like the way European languages are related, for example how as a Spanish speaker I can read books in Portuguese or Italian without having studied them.
>>
>>61517592
Korean is remarkably similar phonologically to Cantonese. See, I read a study on it and am thus qualified to tell you this.
>>
>>61517592
Both of those individual characters are loanwords from Chinese so of course they'll be somewhat similar but altered to fit their respective phonologies. The languages are still unrelated. This is reflected more so in the grammar, which vary hugely between them despite Japanese and Korean being sinocucked in terms of vocabulary.
>>
>>61517977
this is the answer.
>>61517592
yes, but that is only one example
take '老师' lao shi
先生 sen sei
선생 seon seng
you would see they all mean the same but chinese use different words.
>>
>>61518228
seen saang in Cantonese :3
>>
>>61517977
So you study the grammar in chinese knowing most of the words because you studied those learning japanese knowing the grammar because you learned korean.
>>
>>61518278
All the cute waitresses at the chinese restaurant speak cantonese so I have reason to learn that, but how easy is it to learn mandarin from there?
>>
File: 1464117232593.jpg (73 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1464117232593.jpg
73 KB, 600x800
>>61516370
I've been learning Mandarin in English, never had to translate anything in french so far, I don't think it's really helpful in any way tho.
Learning any Asian language is already a daunting task, you'd need so much work in Mandarin just to get a slight advantage in Japanese like being able to recognize some moon runes, they don't even have the same pronunciation I think.
I don't think Asian languages are as close as French and Italian for instance.
>>
>>61518498
No pinyin and 9 (I've heard 11) tones

Not too related at all desu

At least you have written Chinese
>>
>>61518620
How is that possible that they have no pinyin ? How would they type without it ?
>>
>>61518498
Ayy i learned mandarin and couldnt speak single word of Cantonese apart from some slang i picked from hong kong qts
Made me butthurt when they spoke cantonese around mandarin speakers.

Pretty unfair as a foreigner tbqh mandarin was hard enough
>>
>>61518620
Is it true that all the tones in Cantonese sound like the 4th tone in Chinese? I only ask because Cantonese speakers always sound like they're shouting.
>>
>>61518407
Eh sure,basically. Korean and Japanese grammar are somewhat similar in terms of being SOV and agglutinative, certainly closer to each other than to Chinese, but their verb conjugations are different enough to be confusing. Korean is probably more complicated.

Knowing the characters and their pronunciation in one language will only really help you with writing, not with figuring out what the spoken words are for the others. That's something only a linguist could do.
>>
>>61518667
pinyin is not inherently Chinese though

It is a Latin derived phonetic spelling of Mandarin only, based on its tones

There are a few different non-latin input methods for Cantonese

e.g Japanese wouldn't type kanji with pinyin

>>61518697
Poor people speak louder imo
>>
>>61518848
ha sorry I just imagined learning the cangjie input on an american keyboard
>>
>>61516370
if you want learning Japanese and Korean and Chinese.

then i recommend study Japanese at first.

recent Korean language is based on Japanese language, so this both languages grammar is actuary same.

and Japanese language is using KANJI this kanji knowledge is very useful to study Chinese.
>>
>>61518228
Actually 先生 can mean teacher in chinese
>>
>>61518228
先生 was replaced by 老師 because of communist.
>>
>>61522176
Surely Japanese and Korean have similar grammars. But it's not because Japan invaded Korea. It's an ancient mistery.
>>
Anybody have good YouTube tutorials on learning Mandarin? I want to impress this Chinese qt I met
>>
CHING CHONG PING PONG ME SO HORENRY
>>
>>61518228
>>61525178
I find it interesting that although all Chinese, Japanese and Korean share large number of identical vocabulary of Chinese scripts, I've also found that there are also common cases where Japanese and Korean share the identical word while Chinese use different word of the same definition. Why is that? Because we were under Japanese rule?
>>
>>61516370
whoever told you they're similar was either lying to you or as stupid as you.

As for choice of language, personally I found Chinese the easiest, but it's all matter of how you think. The simplicity of Chinese grammar along with the way Chinese indicates the passage of time was what won me over. You may struggle with tones, but honestly it's a small price to pay for the simplicity and blunt manner of Chinese. Not to mention Chinese women > japs & koreans(there's a reason they're the plastic surgery capital of the world). Although Japanese culture is superior to both Chinese and Korean.
>>
>>61517408
Does he say "nigger asshole" right before he levitates?
>>
File: salliesflags7.jpg (53 KB, 575x369) Image search: [Google]
salliesflags7.jpg
53 KB, 575x369
This is unrelated to OP's question, but I have one of my own: How do you learn two languages at the same time?

Currently, I'm learning French, but I want to take up Dutch as well. How can I go about appropriately proportioning my time between the two?
>>
>>61525519
Your king is korean.
>>
>>61526971
You'll have an easier time if you choose 2 languages that are reasonably far apart. Also pick a language you will spend most of your time with, I go 2:1 Chinese/Russian and have had no problems or mixups thus far unlike the time I tried Spanish/French 1:1.
>>
>>61527331
Have you got a death wish? Chinese, along with Russian?

Chinese is hard enough as it is, but you bring Russian into the mix?
>>
>>61527540
Chinese isn't the beast people make it out to be, Russian on the other hand is proving quite difficult.
>>
>>61527171
fuck off.
>>
>>61526516
It is 那个, nage, which is a filler word like uhm
It does sound like he said gay nigga.
>>
>>61517330
>there are people who still believe the japonic language family maymay
Japanese is clearly austronesian, at least in its substratum.
>>
>>61532438
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classification_of_the_Japonic_languages
:^)
>>
Learned Japanese in english, native tongue is spanish.
>>
Hyomin <3
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.