[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When you use escalator, which side do you stand? Japan (Tokyo)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
When you use escalator, which side do you stand?

Japan (Tokyo)
Left side is for people staying. Right side for people moving.
>>
>>61436074
There is no code in Israel. People stand on both sides, and a couple would stand on both sides blocking both ways. It would also be considered rude for you to ask to pass through, btw.

Personally, I stick to the right, hoping others would follow which of course never happens.
>>
I stand in the middle
>>
File: rage-pepe.jpg (22 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
rage-pepe.jpg
22 KB, 680x680
>>61436074
>stand

fucking lazy ass faggots FUCKING WALK UP THE MOTHERFUCKING STAIRS FOR FUCKS SAKE!!
>>
>>61436074
I haven't used an escalator in ages
>>
>>61436074
Exactly the opposite in Milan.
Actually, right side: slow speed
Left side: hurry
I guess you keep the left because you're used to left-hand traffic.

>>61436307
You use the escalators _and_ walk to get out of the underground as soon as possible.
>>
>>61436338
Past the weight limit?
>>
File: 444.jpg (18 KB, 236x406) Image search: [Google]
444.jpg
18 KB, 236x406
>>
People stick to the right to stand.
Much like driving, where the left lane is used for passing.

It's not 100% consistent but a general trend.
>>
>>61436173
Lots of people use escalators everyday in Tokyo, so we need code in Japan.
Maybe, the reason you don't have the code is that people don't often commute by subways, so escalators aren't crowded so much, I guess?

>>61436230
It's considered very rude here.

>>61436307
Some people choose stairs instead of using escalators for exercise in Japan.

>>61436338
Are you living in rural area?
>>
I stand on the left where people want to walk (unless there are no regular stairs, but this is not the case in Switzerland). Fuck people who walk on escalatators, they were not made for walking. The people who walk regularily bump into standing people, or worse, their suitcases bump into people. Use the stairs if you are in a rush.
>>
>>61436417
In Tokyo, people stand at the left side, but in Osaka , people stand at right side (same manner with yours)
It's interesting to see escalators at an express train platform of Osaka station where there are many Tokyo people visiting Osaka. Many collisions occur every time.

>>61436462
It's good. Easy to understand.
>>
>>61436553
>they were not made for walking.
I've heard of it, too. I sometimes see signs saying "don't walk" at escalators, but nobody follows the rule.
I personally think escalator manufacture should admit that everyone walks on escalators, and should provide escalators that are made for walking.
>>
If you are going to stand, you stand in the right
If you are going to walk you do it in the left, of course people don't always follow
>>
Escalators are never crowded so there's no protocol really. And I'm the only one I know that walks on them. Others see this and probably think I'm autistic for doing it (I am but that's beside the point.)
>>
File: 606610[1].jpg (79 KB, 450x277) Image search: [Google]
606610[1].jpg
79 KB, 450x277
>>61436074
we do it the other way around here

when I went to london I thought they did it like in japan (because of the how they drive) and a british man wearing a suit, politely told me "oi chap, stay on the right, please" as he rushed past me
>>
>>61436074
It's how you're supposed to do it, like in car lanes (fast and slow lane) but few people follow it. Usually it's only an issue if there are acquaintances standing next to each other talking. People tend to move if they hear or see you trying to walk past them.
>>
File: P110819_A1555.jpg (157 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
P110819_A1555.jpg
157 KB, 1024x764
>>61437392
>Escalators are never crowded
Sometimes, I even find an escalator version of "traffic jam".
People strictly follow the rule. Even when there is almost no people walking, they create a life, because most of people prefer to stand.
>>
>>61438155
*they create a line
>>
>>61436074

That's why you and the britfags are being kept on the islands.
>>
>>61436532
I guess there aren't as many as in Japan, but many places have escalators here. It's just a matter of culture, and our culture is pretty much aggressive and egoistic in a way.
>>
>>61436074
they are doing it wrong, you are suppose to be on the right just like on any roads, just like anywhere on earth.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.