[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From where does the pejorative Irish denonym "Mick"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Confused.jpg (13 KB, 208x208) Image search: [Google]
Confused.jpg
13 KB, 208x208
From where does the pejorative Irish denonym "Mick" originate?
Is it a phoneticization of the prefix "Mc" that appears in many Irish surnames (e.g. "McAlister", "McGary")?
>>
Based on the word 'Mc' which in turn comes from the Gaelic word 'Mac.'

Gaelic surnames are patronymic, and Mac means son. So 'McDonald' means son of Donald.
>>
>>61162545

What if Donald was a cuck?
>>
>>61162545
Thanks for the language lesson.

I'm happy to see that my guess was correct.
>>
>>61162568

It would be changed to FitzDonald. 'Fitz' means 'bastard.'

I don't know if this still applies in the case of the wife being the one doing the cucking, but in theory it should unless the father disowns the bastard child.
>>
>>61162545

It's much more likely that Mick relates to the fact that huge amounts of Irish are named Michael, which is Mick is short for.

Same when people say "The Paddies", it's because lots of Irish are named Patrick or Padraig which often becomes "Paddy".
>>
>>61162803

Some American muh heritage fag with a Fitz name won't enjoy reading this post
>>
>>61162990
I'll have to find a way to publicly broadcast that before Saint Patrick's day.

On March 17th we have the second-largest parade in all of America. I'd love to see the butthurt.

EVERYONE - even the blacks - try to pretend to be part Irish on Saint Patrick's day. We call them "leprecoons"
>>
>>61162990
>>61162803
>>61162545
>>61162320
>be me
>hate "muh heritage" fags
>city have a population of 130,000
>750,000 people come into town to see the Saint Patty's Day parade
>hell on earth ensues every March
>>
>>61162940

Michael and its variants are popular in pretty much every Catholic country though. It's probably a contributor though since some Americans probably found it hilarious when they met an Irishman with a name like 'Mike McMichael'
>>
File: 1456190809739.jpg (22 KB, 338x338) Image search: [Google]
1456190809739.jpg
22 KB, 338x338
>>61162990
>>61162803
Lmao, no

Fitz is the Norman equivalent of Mac, it also means son of. It's the anglinized version of the french word for son. It was often found among the upper land owning class for obvious reasons, not bastards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitz
>>
>>61162940
this is far more likely, I know more michaels than any other name and that is just aussies (obviously the majority of aussies have some irish ancestry)
its common all over the place
john smith - english
chang - chink
vlad - russian
hans - norway
sven - sweden
pretty obvious
>>
>>61163323

But the French are bastards so it does essentially mean bastard
>>
>>61163323

Yeah you're right. The connotations for bastard come from some shenanigans with the British royal family that happened later.

I assume the Irish and Scots didn't really have a patronymic for bastards back then then.
>>
>>61163553
I know in countries like Italy bastards were just given the most common surnames, like Esposito "smith". It was probably similar in the British isles
>>
>>61162545
>>61162940
The common use of Michael is the most likely explanation. Otherwise you'd expect it used as a pejorative for Scots for whom mac derived surnames are proportionately more common. In Ireland the use of heritary surnames using Ó (grandson/descendant) gained ground, and is often better retained in anglicised variants (as well as chosen in regaelicised variants)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.