[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I learn French in France or Canada, what's the difference
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 7
Should I learn French in France or Canada, what's the difference anyway?

I have been to France alot so Canada would be a new experience but I'm worried about how Quebecois French is received in France. Is it as bad as American English?
>>
Not a real difference, except for the accent, and some expressions. Learn it where you want.
>>
>>61068766
are you a girl? this is important; please respond
>>
>>61068766
>Is it as bad as American English?
Ha ha, no.
>>
>>61068766
Apparently people with Qubecois accents sound like ducks but I can't really tell the difference, they are treated really badly in France.
>>
>>61068834
No, are you that Canuck that keeps posting about that /int/ girlfriend that left you?

>>61068859
No way really?
>>
>>61068859
>they are treated really badly in France
Wow, guy. Absolutely not. You are misinformed, apparently. Or it's a cliché, but very not true.
>>
>>61068766
Canadian french sounds retarded and pleb af, it's a bit like comparing RP British English with what American rednecks speak
>>
File: 1460877492611.png (144 KB, 413x500) Image search: [Google]
1460877492611.png
144 KB, 413x500
>>61068766
Go to Belgium
>>
>>61068869
>No, are you that Canuck that keeps posting about that /int/ girlfriend that left you?
no

but do you have a feminine penis?
>>
>>61068849
:'(
>>
>>61068930
>Belgium
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAAHA

>>61068941
It's pretty hairy if I don't shave, haven't done that in a while, I have no idea what you with feminine penis though
>>
>>61068766
Quebecois accent is less effeminate, at least compared to Parisian, and the people in Quebec are friendlier. Also no Musulmans.
>>
>>61068971
Hmm, sorry bru. It was just for the metaphor.
>>
>>61068971
Don't worry burger, atleast you can still eat pork
>>
>>61069004
T. René-Céline Ducaribou
>>
>>61069004
I'm a normand, am I effeminate and not friendly?
>>
>>61068901
Maybe I am misinformed, it's just what my bf told me, he speaks french.
>>
>>61069004

>the people in Quebec are friendlier

hahhahhehahahhauhauheuhauhauhahahhahahahuhuhfdsuihdushaihauhadhahahkfuhasbhabfahhabahahahahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahhahahscbshabchsabcbsajcbahahbahahheyuheuhauehuaheuhauehauheuahklkauheuahueahueaheuaheauhauahahahuhalkakuhakueaheuhauhauhauhauhahoauoaauoaaoauhahahuahhahahahahahhahahahahauhauhauhauhzzazhacahcuahvhauhvavuhahvuahauhauhauahuahxaxaxaxaxxaxaxaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxaxhauhauahuahahxaxhauxhauhxauhxauhihiuahehuehuaehuheuaheuhaeuahldkuhalkvuhdsakhvdusavjdsnajduahuahuahahahhahahahhhaha
>>
>>61069007
>>61069019
I do not speak southern or some other regional dialcect of American English though. I speak General American English, which is pretty much what you hear in every American movie.
>>
>>61069035
Your bf's gay
>>
>>61069046
dialect*
>>
>>61069046
Just banter, lad. Murrican English is not so bad, don't worry.

It just sounds like your mouth is broken.
>>
I really suck at asking questions in French. Please help me learn by asking me questions.
>>
>>61068766
Wtf do people really consider learning Canadian French? Why?
No offense but even learning French in Africa will give you less trouble being understood by other French speakers.
>>
>>61069034
Je suis désolé, Normans sont bro-tier.
>>
>>61069098
Care to elaborate?
What makes it so hard for you to understand?
>>
>>61069046
Well, I feel, bad, I was just kidding, bro.>>61069090
(call me effeminate know)
>>
>>61069119
>What makes it so hard for you to understand?
inbreeding?
>>
File: 1440114403053.jpg (38 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1440114403053.jpg
38 KB, 704x480
>Canadian """French"""
>American """"""""""""English""""""""""""
>Mexican """"""Spanish""""""
>Brazilian ""Portuguese""
>>
>>61069148
It is all right. Do not feel bad. In a way it just proves I am effeminate too; I take every insult by French people very personally because I judge myself based on how they perceive me.
>>
>>61069191
>Irish """"""""""""Gaelic""""""""""""
>>
Que-est que le teste pour les orateours etrangers?
>>
File: rofl.jpg (10 KB, 208x200) Image search: [Google]
rofl.jpg
10 KB, 208x200
>>61068859
>sound like ducks
>>
>>61069119
Well I wouldn't be able to tell exactly, but obviously the idioms and expressions are quite different, as well as the way they contract words and pronounce certain sounds, to the point Canadian shows tend to be subtitled on TV. Africans on the other hand articulate way more.
>>
>>61068766
For people who know french how hard was it to learn?Is it easy for english speakers?
>>
>>61069119
French Candian sound very weird to any French speaker which isn't French Canadian.
Any other French speaking country will give you something more like what all the other countries speak.
>>
>>61069234
You should go to fr/ for that M8
>>
>>61069119
>>61069270
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYm83H5TOMM
Here's a video explaining some of those differences, just auto-translate the subtitles.
>>
>>61069270

I thought that was a meme until i was watching some tv drama from quebec and the french french subtitles we're pretty different to what was being said
>>
>>61069206
>I take every insult by French people very personally because I judge myself based on how they perceive me.
Well, understand what you say (just replace "french" with anybody else).

You got some deep emotions so you're not so American after all.
He he.

Ok, bad joke.
>>
>>61069293
It's fucking easy. Really easy. I love it. I started three weeks ago and I'm reading Tintin atm. Les Cigares de Pharoh.

One thing, though. If you're using Duolingo, don't burn through it like prime weed. Let it sit. Take the exams, practice, and give it time before moving to another subject.
>>
>>61069119
The accent is reaaally twisted sometimes
There are some words and expressions that aren't used (anymore) in French but once you know them it's ok, but the accent has really nothing to do with the French one. Don't expect to have a regular French prononciation if you learn it in Québec. Well you'll still know French so that's nice, but I think it's even different than American English/British Eglish
>>
>>61069377
There must be tests administrated all over the world that helps people test their knowledge of French. I can't get into France.
>>
>>61069390
Why so mean against Québecbros?
>>
>>61069429
>I can't get into France
Why? atheists are generally wellcomed in france.
>>
Will everyone laugh at you if you can't do the R properly
>>
>>61069405
neat
>>
>>61069404
Trust me, you are a fine fellow. Most people on this website have reached a point where they feel no remorse and would never even consider feeling bad or apologising. You still have morals and empathy.

We are still humans, fortunately, but I think that this website will corrupt every user sooner or later.
>>
>>61069466
he means money wise fagget
>>
>>61069466
C'est dificile. Si je aller a France je aller pour assez.

Besides my French sucks. I need to learn it properly... There has to be a test. I need to find out. Like TOEFL or IELTS.
>>
File: tumblr_nmhpghhZQK1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg (75 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmhpghhZQK1rg3vrmo1_500.jpg
75 KB, 500x375
>We are still humans, fortunately, but I think that this website will corrupt every user sooner or later.
>>
>>61069394
Yeah most of us legitimately don't understand Canadian French unless they make efforts. Funny thing is, they don't seem to have so much trouble understanding us.
>>
>>61069509
Ne pas insulter ton compatriot m'compte.
>>
>>61069500
In all honesty I've been here for 6 years and haven't really changed at all, /b/ is pretty bad I barely go there.
>>
>>61069234
>>61069515
Aucune idée de ce que t'essayes de dire.
>>
>>61069500
We all feel, it's just that we can't show it because it's quickly labeled as "reddit tier.

But I agree that sometimes it's good to speak a bit more deep. (sry for my shitty English, btw).
>>
>>61069500
>>61069592

I've been browsing /int/ for a year though, I don't know how long this place has existed
>>
>>61069515
Je vois, me comprends tu ?

Ou apprends tu?
>>
Honestly kicking myself now that I didn't learn French and visit New Caledonia, etc. more often
>>
>>61069004
>Also no Musulmans.
>>
>>61069600
Is there a test for foreign speakers of French, like TOEFL and IELTS are for foreign speakers of English?

>>61069660
I know I know my French is worse than my English. But I've just started two weeks ago. I'm self-studying using Duolingo and Memrise, I'm planning to move on to Micheal Thomas soon after I'm finished with Duolingo.
>>
>>61069605
I agree. I feel like /int/ would be a better place if people tried to be nicer and tried to be more sympathetic.

French posters are usually the nicest though, so I plan to just hang around the French general if I can ever manage to learn French well.

And do not worry, your English is great, far far better than my French :)
>>
>>61068766
Québécois preserved the French language better.

They speak Franglais in France now.
>>
>>61069732
>They speak Franglais in France now
Qu'est ce que tu fucking racontes, motherfucker?
>>
arreter le parle
>>
File: bait.jpg (168 KB, 1016x970) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
168 KB, 1016x970
>>61069732
Jej
>>
>>61069222
As opposed to what? That drivel spoken by the Scots we colonised?
>>
>>61069732
"One characteristic of major sociological importance distinguishing Quebec French from European French is the relatively greater number of borrowings from English, especially in the informal spoken language.[28] In contrast, Quebecers show a stronger aversion to the use of anglicisms in formal contexts than do European francophones, largely because of what the influence of English on their language is held to reveal about the historically superior position of anglophones in Canadian society.[29] According to Cajolet-Laganière and Martel,[30] out of 4,216 "criticized borrowings from English" in Quebec French that they were able to identify, some 93% have "extremely low frequency" and 60% are obsolete.[31] Despite this, the prevalence of anglicisms in Quebec French has often been exaggerated. French spoken with a number of anglicisms viewed as excessive may be disparagingly termed franglais ("Frenglish"). According to Chantal Bouchard, "While the language spoken in Quebec did indeed gradually accumulate borrowings from English [between 1850 and 1960], it did not change to such an extent as to justify the extraordinarily negative discourse about it between 1940 and 1960. It is instead in the loss of social position suffered by a large proportion of Francophones since the end of the 19th century that one must seek the principal source of this degrading perception."[32]
>>
>>61069716
It wasn't sarcastic, mate. I just asked you some questions :^)

Honestly, good luck with your studies. French is not an easy language... (even for the french themselves, sometimes).
>>
What country are you more interested in?
>>
>>61069716
>Micheal Thomas

is the michel thomas method a meme or not
>>
>>61069814

kek
cuckbec btfo
>>
>>61069814
I find their French even worse in that aspect, sure they translate a lot of things we don't in France but our English words are often here because we didn't have a French one for it before. Whereas they just use absolutely unecessary ones that already have a French equivalent
And for the meme "Québécois is the same French that was spoken 300y.o" it's pretty dumb, languages evolve in so many years, it just didn't take the same road regular French did
>>
>>61069717
>your English is great
Ha ha, thank you, but I must work (a lot).

Writing is easier than speaking... And even my written English Isn't good.

Well, anyway,
You seems to be a nice guy.
If you go on the /fr/ general, don't except
nice guys (there is some, I guess, but it's still /int/).

People here, aren't generally nice Tbh, my fellow Murrican guy :^)
(but I guess you already know it)
Well, don't be disappointed.
>>
>>61069975
>don't except
Expect*
Hmph, sorry.
>>
>>61069716
Yeah probably, there's like the DILF or the TFI, just check it out on the Internet
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_de_fran%C3%A7ais_international
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ais_langue_%C3%A9trang%C3%A8re#Dipl.C3.B4mes_et_tests_de_langue_pour_.C3.A9trangers
>>
>>61069814
delete this mon ostie
>>
>>61069975
Is that a poem
Some sort of haiku
Cause it looks so
>>
>>61069946
>the meme "Québécois is the same French that was spoken 300y.o"

what is it with north americans and claiming they preserve/speak the "original" language?
Americans do the same but only about accents really
>>
>>61069975
All right, thank you for the warning. Would you say that people in France (in real life) are generally nice? And how do they treat Americans?

And by the way, do not worry about your spoken English. Everyone here loves French accents.
>>
>>61070087
>anglo
>culture
>>
>>61070087
In American English's defence though, it is lexically and phonologically closer to the English spoken around the 1600-1700s.
>>
>>61070162
>lexically
You mean back when most people had no access to education?
>>
>>61069835
I didn't think you're being sarcastic.
>>
>>61070268
Lower class people do tend to use a smaller range of vocabulary, but in modern times this is the same in the UK and in the US. Educated speakers from both countries use and understand pretty much an identical amount of vocabulary, but American English uses a few terms that are outdated today in the UK.
>>
>>61070125
>Would you say that people in France (in real life) are generally nice?
Well, generally, yes. Some of them are stupid though. I guess it's like in other countries(yeah, it's an evasive answer, but I know) .

>how do they treat Americans?
Frankly, better than you Americans, thought.
I'm pretty sure that there is more US people who hates french people than the opposite.

Except in Paris, and big touristic places, you will treated good... (Even french tourists, like me, are badly treated in Paris. The capitale. It's a shame Tbh).

But go in my little city, all the people would be happy to welcomes a Murrican :)

Where are you from, in the US?
>>
>>61070310
Oh well, my bad.
Where do you learn french, in Iran?
(college, internet...?)

And, hum, why?
>>
>>61070546
>I'm pretty sure that there is more US people who hates french people than the opposite.
Although some people may dislike French people (because they are ignorant of how they actually are), most people I know like France. If you ever visited here, I am sure people would treat you well because of your exotic status as a foreigner. Plus, like I said, we like French accents :)

>Where are you from, in the US?
Pennsylvania, which is a state in the North East.
>>
>>61069093
t'es pédé?
>>
>>61069490
Probably not, but you should definitely make the effort, it's not that hard.
I feel like not pronouncing the R letter properly is a dead giveaway in every language 2bh.
>>
>>61070606
Iran has shitty education. They don't teach us foreign languages. Just some basic English. I'm using the internet to learn French, just like how I became fluent in English by years of watching American movies and TV shows.

Well, I hate being an Iranian and I get far away from Iran as much as possible. That's why I'm learning French.

>>61070656
Je suis bisexualle. Je vient d'avoir un sex reve avec Cobie Smulders.
>>
>>61070744
Why not go to a country where it's easier to immigrate? French is definitely not the best choice.
>>
>>61070632
>If you ever visited here, I am sure people would treat you well because of your exotic status as a foreigner. Plus, like I said, we like French accents :)

I can say the exact same thing about North American people.

And hum...
It's hard to admit it but, you know, Murrican accent is pretty sexy.
Girls here will just melt down if you say something in french.

>Pennsylvania, which is a state in the North East.
Well ok, I can see it on internet. Pretty big state.
>>
>>61070744
>I hate being an Iranian
Man, why?
Well, you can go to france I guess, but you know it's more complicated than it seems...

Honestly, you seems to just want to speak french, and integrated a "free" world. We need
more guys like you.
>>
>>61070826
Like where? Compared to the US and Canada France is easy to get into. It's not as easy as Germany, though, that's why it's a challenge to get in. That means immigrants are treated better since there's only 17,000 Iranians in France. Whilst there's over 1 million Iranians in Germany. People see Iranians and hate them, and hate me in return. France is better in this aspect. Plus it's going to be easy since I'm going to study CS in a French university before attempting to apply for immigration.
>>
>>61070910
Let's just say Iranians kill their daughter for flashing skin.

I know France is hard to get into, that's why it's a challenge and henceforth, immigrants are treated better. I'm going to get my Associate's in Iran and then my Bsc's in France or Belgium, then apply for immigration in either of these countries and therefore increasing my chance of approval.

I'm kinda already integrated within the Western culture. All that's left is a few etiquettes and getting to know the drinking culture.
>>
>>61070828
Yeah, Pennsylvania has a lot of different types of areas and people. I live in a semi-rural area called Lancaster. Where are you from in France?
>>
>>61070980
>getting to know the drinking culture
Hmm, you know it's not an absolute necessity.
>>
>>61071029
>120,000 Km2
Yes, it's pretty big.

>I live in a semi-rural area
Well I live in a semi rural area too, a little town called Freneuse. It's between "normandie" and "ile de france" departements( it's nearly on the border).
>>
>tfw spent an entire week just learning the accent
>French people say I've got it spot-on
>never bothered to actually learn it
>>
>>61071038
I want to be a sophisticated Westerner. I want to taste wine and ferment my own cheese. I want to become rich and give to charities and make a movie based on Jean Christoph. A musical perhaps?
>>
>>61070917
>Canada
Dude what? Everyone says Canada is the easiest country to immigrate. There's also Sweden, even though I doubt it's as easy as /int/ says.
>Plus it's going to be easy since I'm going to study CS in a French university before attempting to apply for immigration
Or they'll tell you to fuck off once you get your degree, unless you find someone to hire you. But then again I don't quite see why any company would bother hiring foreigners, unless they're really skilled.
>>
File: 1447034203983.jpg (84 KB, 508x504) Image search: [Google]
1447034203983.jpg
84 KB, 508x504
>>61071187
>a sophisticated Westerner
You- you're kidding, right?
>>
>>61071189
I'm mostly learning French to get my degree there since they offer good financial aid and let you pay it back without strings attached. France is my first choice, Belgium is my second and Swiss is my third. If I fail all three, I bet Canada will take me in. They have a point system and people who know both French and Englsih score high.

The point is, learning French is useful.
>>
>>61071158
Nice. It looks like a pretty cozy area. I think Normandie and Bretagne are probably the most beautiful in France, though I have not seen many pictures of southern France, and some people say that area is the most beautiful as well. I especially like the coasts in northern France, and the quaint lighthouses.
>>
>>61071172
>French people say I've got it spot-on

They just wanted to be nice, obviously.

Maybe are you a bit Stupid?

But anyway, you're lucky, 'murrican accent is sexy.
So you don't really 'need' to learn french accent.
>>
>>61071260
Makes sense I guess.
>>
>>61068766
They teach us french at school here from first grade onwards, I used to be pretty good at it but now the lack of practiice ruined me :(
I can understand what most french /int/olerants but I can't respond because I'm always so scared I'll make some stupid mistake and get laughed at by the french
Anyone ktf?
>>
>>61071234
What do you mean? If I immigrate to West and integrate I will be a Westerner, that's the definition of it. And if I truly act with sophistication I can achieve it.
>>
>>61069515
It's called delf and dalf here is applied by alliance française(French learning schools), maybe the French embassy in Iran has the competence to do it too?
>>
>>61071332
Mais nan t'inquiète on est gentils :)
>>
>>61071342
I have to call them and ask.
>>
>>61069390
Now I see the duck comparison.
>>
>>61071332
Well, don't worry bro, IRL it's not a big deal if make mistakes... Especially if you're a stranger!

But here on /int/, well it's just /int/ random pleb so you should expect some (very hard) racist thing, and grammar nazis.

Pardon them. People on the internet are not representative of real people.

Some french people are racists/nazi IRL tho.
But very rare, compared to /int/.
But I must warned you.
>>
>>61071372
Tu es gentil mais la majorité ne sont pas :c
I apologise for slaughtering your language ;_;
>>
>>61071489
[Unmodded] Internet is far from being a representative of actual people IRL. But so far French people, at least to me personally, have proven to be civil, respectful, and pleasant. This is not true about let's say, Germans. That's odd.
>>
>>61071533
French posters truly are the best on the internet. I can attest to this.
>>
>>61070917
We dont hate iranians, the highly educated exile iranians that fled here after the fall of the shah or during it are super guys.

In general iran is the most liked muslim country, if you ignore your theocracy...most people still have pictures of the shah reign in their head...the positive,secular stuff though.

A sister of my fathers first wife married one and did not forceislam on the children, he is a doctor.

Why do you think we hate iranians?

We just dislike uneducated, durka mohammed jihad ruffians with no manners.
>>
>>61071501
Not saying /int/ is a bully-free zone but it's probably just banter most of the time, they don't really mind about you making mistakes 2bh
>>
>>61071590
Since we don't have immigrants in Iran, I have to base it all on Afghan refugees who live here.

At some point when I was a student, the smallest thing about Afghans irritate me. We had this Afghan in our class who barely spoke English yet he taught English and besides, I used to go to school with mussy hair and wrinkly clothes until I fell in love with a girl. He taught I got MARRIED. That was so annoying.

So... I think my own bias against Afghans plays a large part in my belief that European countries are racist.

Also, 4chan.

PS: got a French street view for recaptcha
>>
>>61071306
Well sentences are obviously off but my individual words are pretty darn accurate desu. I'll do a vocaroo later
>>
>>61071871
Honestly, I'd glad to hear that.
>If anybody would to do a vocaroo, they're welcome, too.
>>
>>61071871
Vocaroo is a good idea.
>>
>>61071860
In general its not about race, would get angry about italians flooding similarily.

Its just that the current tides of uneducated immigrants are brown and muslim.

And there are studies about the educational level of the peoplearriving...its not a prejudice as such.
>>
>>61071968
I Vocaroo'd my English accent because it sucks and I want to know how to improve it

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kdp2vBSjKN
>>
>>61072091
Let's judge it, everybody!
>>
>>61072083
What do you think the right would do to stop this? Would they just ban every Muslim and non-Muslim from Muslim countries, or manage immigration in a way that favors people like me?
>>
>>61072091
I can't note your accent (I'm not an English native, or even a good speaker) , but have to admit that I understand all what you said. So I guess it's fine.

Maybe some real English speaker will say their advices to you.

By the way, are you drunk?
>>
>>61072158
Your last idea is perfect.

Close the borders and mercelessly send people back. Zhen no one will drown anymore and instead we can go through legal applications and/or set up teams in refugee camps to pick people.

Not drowning or freezing does not qualify you for poltical asylum.
>>
>>61072091
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0kdp2vBSjKN
Sounds quite French 2bh
>>
>>61072231
No just tired.

>>61072261
Administer a test from immigration applicants and let them act out situations in their daily lives. btw what happened to that Arab girl that Merkel let down? She spoke fine German, she was integrated. I don't know wh let her go and let in rapsts instead.
>>
I'm dying of sleep. Bye guys. See you in /f/r.
>>
>>61072382
Because Merkel sucks, thats why.
>>
>>61072382
>No just tired
Ok, sorry lad.
>>
>>61069191
t. speaker of Irish """""""english"""""""
>>
>>61072456
Guten arte
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.