[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happens here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: Alaska.jpg (98 KB, 1344x854) Image search: [Google]
Alaska.jpg
98 KB, 1344x854
Besides exploiting oil and minerals how do 738,000 people even survive there?

Is there any industry besides that?

Are people even migrating there?

Since it's separated from the rest of the US is everything besides houses expensive af?

Do they consider themselves American or do they have their own "identity" like the mormons from Utah since they we're once part of Russia?
>>
>>61052419
This is an actually /int/eresting thread. Bumping it.
>>
File: akutan.jpg (170 KB, 1024x401) Image search: [Google]
akutan.jpg
170 KB, 1024x401
Especially those that live in places like Akutan
>>
File: smug.jpg (99 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
99 KB, 600x800
>Kiska island
>>
>>61052419
>since they we're once part of Russia?
The Russians barely had a presence there
>>
>>61052419
Anchorage is a transport hub if I'm not wrong
people do migrate there
I'm pretty sure they have industry other than oil around Anchorage and the panhandle part
idk I think everything is more expensive but probably still pretty cheap overall, I bet some states down in the lower 48 match or are more expensive than it, but thats not really an issue because I'm pretty sure the Alaskan government gives subsidies to everyone or something along that line (not 100% on this, might just be for oil guys)
They consider themselves American first alongside being an Alaskan like any other state/city (people also identify with their closest city if its major, ex. NYC, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, D.C., Baltimore, Houston, LA, etc.)
>>
>>61052529

Looks like northern Norway tbqfh
>>
>>61052600

1 in 7 there are natives tho that's why I'm asking
>>
>>61052873
>1 in 7 there are natives tho
It's mostly Aleutians and Inuits and other varieties of snow niggers. I think they mostly stay on their reservations though so there's not much cultural influence
>>
>>61052633
Ive never been there, but I plan on living there someday and from what little I've learned I'm seconding this guy.

Also I found a picture to show the size, just for the hell of it.

>>61052873
Do the far eastern Russian natives even consider themselves "Russian"

We had one from the Kamchatka Peninsula as an exchange student in high school... he was... weird... It was kind of like having a kid from an amazon tribe as an exchange student.
>>
File: alaska_on_europe.jpg (236 KB, 1280x989) Image search: [Google]
alaska_on_europe.jpg
236 KB, 1280x989
>>61053078
forgot the pic dammit.
>>
File: ak_tmin.gif (44 KB, 839x638) Image search: [Google]
ak_tmin.gif
44 KB, 839x638
>>61052419
My source is as a guy from the West Coast who's visited and reads history, but I don't have an inside perspective. Anyhow-

>Besides exploiting oil and minerals how do 738,000 people even survive there?
Crabbing, fishing, working the harbor, servicing workers, working for the government, either on a military base or protecting the wildlife, some tourism. The government also pays you a little bit to live there (not nearly enough to survive on) and I imagine state taxes are minimal. There's good money to be made in Alaska, especially if you work in any kind of resource extraction.

>Are people even migrating there?
Probably only to work in resources. I don't know how many people move from the main 48 states into Alaska and then settle down there, but I'd have to guess it's not a lot. Alaska does have positive population growth, though.

>Since it's separated from the rest of the US is everything besides houses expensive af?
Neah, it's all about the same. Produce costs a bit more, cheese and eggs cost very slightly less. There may be government subsidies involved. I actually looked into this just now and medicine stuff can be more expensive. Apparently toothpaste is as well.

>Do they consider themselves American or do they have their own "identity" like the mormons from Utah since they we're once part of Russia?
When I was there, they seemed super-American. Like, more American than America. Sarah Palin was Alaskan, for reference.

Alaska is definitely really harsh, weather-wise, but I think it's a bit better than people realise.

Anchorage gets its currents from Japan, so that helps a little. See the map. By comparison, Toronto's January average is -3C.
>>
>>61053733 (continued)
Sidefact: Anchorage has 2/5ths of the Alaskan population.
>>
>>61053733
>Anchorage gets its currents from Japan...

It's not always a good thing.
>>
>>61053733
>>61053949
>>61054108

Sounds like a pretty peaceful place to live for those that don't realky mind the cold tbqh

Thanks for bringing some insight
>>
>>61052419
there's two alaskans on this board, so maybe they can answer
>>
>>61052419
-There's a wide sex disparity: 108 males for every 100 women so Alaskan males have low standards or they're homos

-They elected a woman for a governor so they're emasculated and dim witted

-People get paid to live in Alaska because it's so sparsely populated

-Most Alaskans are half-Eskimo mestizos so it's like a Hispanic state

-They changed the name of Mt. McKinley to some savage name so Alaskans can get back to their Indian roots like above
>>
>>61055164
>They elected a woman for a governor so they're emasculated and dim witted
She was basically a stupid, redneck version of Margaret Thatcher. Dim-witted, yes. Emasculated, no.

>Most Alaskans are half-Eskimo mestizos so it's like a Hispanic state
Not in my experience, but I stuck to the south which might be whiter. And my friend's mom is Alaskan and she infected them with her ginger genes.

>They changed the name of Mt. McKinley to some savage name so Alaskans can get back to their Indian roots like above
Mount Denali is a fucking cool name.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.