[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is the average citizen of the United Kingdom be expected
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Screenshot_20160619-181442.jpg (602 KB, 1800x1350) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160619-181442.jpg
602 KB, 1800x1350
How is the average citizen of the United Kingdom be expected to afford an average home?

The real estate prices and the average wage are so far apart.

Is the UK raising entire generations of permanent renters ?

I just don't get it.
>>
File: 1361915553630.jpg (27 KB, 500x526) Image search: [Google]
1361915553630.jpg
27 KB, 500x526
>>
For thousands of years the average person never owned the land they lived on. We're simply reverting back to serfdom. We even call the person we pay rent to a fucking "landLORD" for christ's sake
>>
>>61012808
>How is the average citizen of the United Kingdom be expected to afford an average home?
Inheriting from parents.

It's very difficult to afford your own home without help from parents though. An average house where I live is almost 30 times my yearly salary, so I probably won't ever buy a house.
>>
Owning a home is overrated unless you want to live on a farm. People move all the time, why try reselling your home 7 years after starting the mortgage when you can just rent?
>>
File: tumblr_m48lzrm0M11r3zat8.png (5 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m48lzrm0M11r3zat8.png
5 KB, 429x410
>>61012967
>30 times my yearly salary

Where in the UK d you live?
>>
File: Le-Merchant-3.png (282 KB, 1280x471) Image search: [Google]
Le-Merchant-3.png
282 KB, 1280x471
People used to save up to buy homes and now we've created a culture of loans which pleases the merchants.
>>
>>61013010
because renting is almost always more expensive than the actual mortage and renting does nothing for you in the longterm. After 20 years of paying a mortage you own a house that you can sell for money or continue to live in without payments. After 20 years of paying rent you own nothing and must still make payments.
>>
>>61013010
>People move all the time

You're not young forever?

At some point moving around becomes a pain in the ass. If you want to settle down, you buy.
>>
File: altim.jpg (18 KB, 267x273) Image search: [Google]
altim.jpg
18 KB, 267x273
>>61012808
30yr mortgages
>mfw my parents are attempting to shill me into buying their house from them
>>
>>61012808
renting is actually pretty common in yurop
>>
>>61013059
I unironically live in LONDON. But yeah, the average house here costs £470k.
>>
>>61012808
I have no idea desu, I think it is a huge problem though and am surprised that my generation isn't more outraged by it.

I'm about to graduate from my MSc, and have applied for some jobs which have salaries of £25,000 - £30,000, but I probably won't get them and will have to settle for something more like £22,000, which is pretty average for a graduate. Even a small terraced house costs ten times that much. Realistically, I'll be renting for at least 10 years and will find it very hard to save anything at all. If I'm lucky, I might be able to afford a mortgage on an average house by the time I'm 35 (having a gf would help too, by providing double income). But it's a shitty situation for my generation - my parents bought our house for £160,000 and today its worth about £650,000. I think there will emerge a massive class gap between people whose families owned property and those whose families didn't, but no one seems to care about it really, people are happy just to rent. I wonder if we'll all reach 40 and then the generational shit will hit the fan that we're halfway through our working lives and still living in shitty houseshares or small apartments.
>>
>>61013216

That would actually be a good deal anon.

Keeping the money in the family is how Chinese and Indian immigrants get rich here.
>>
>>61013216
>mfw my parents are attempting to shill me into buying their house from them
Honestly not that bad a deal considering they'll probably leave you all their money once they die.
>>
>i want to pack everyone together so they live like sardines in a can
>say no more fåm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_belt_(United_Kingdom)
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.